TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wake up call on Golf levels today!

perseveringgolfer

Absolutely they play at another level... like sea level (us) and stratosphere (them).  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

We’ve had threads about this - the most recent one was a couple of years ago when one the golf publications published an article about the differences between a scratch golfer and Joe average touring pro.

Differences started with the course - scratch average course was around a 72 course rating and pro 76.5. So that -4 at your home course is unlikely to net a sub par round on an average tour course.

I recall that a stunning finding from the study was that the biggest difference between the average scratch golfer and touring pro was driving distance. That’s the case at almost every handicap gap BTW.

I’m a member at a club in Florida that has a player development membership offer (for pros). We have a number of them. One just made it to the second layer of Korn Ferry qualifying - he’s a plus 5 - his coach told me he’s a long shot to make that tour - he said you normally have to be a plus 6 before you’re at that level.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

OK, I've decided. I want to come back as a PGA Tour Pro in the top 30% of the field.  Honestly, when you consider their job follows the best weather, they play the best courses amidst gorgeous surroundings, and make great money playing a game they love, it is a gig that's hard to beat.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 hours ago, revkev said:

We’ve had threads about this - the most recent one was a couple of years ago when one the golf publications published an article about the differences between a scratch golfer and Joe average touring pro.

Differences started with the course - scratch average course was around a 72 course rating and pro 76.5. So that -4 at your home course is unlikely to net a sub par round on an average tour course.

I recall that a stunning finding from the study was that the biggest difference between the average scratch golfer and touring pro was driving distance. That’s the case at almost every handicap gap BTW.

I’m a member at a club in Florida that has a player development membership offer (for pros). We have a number of them. One just made it to the second layer of Korn Ferry qualifying - he’s a plus 5 - his coach told me he’s a long shot to make that tour - he said you normally have to be a plus 6 before you’re at that level.

Plus 6 is usually the number I hear before you can even think about it. And that is just raw ability it doesn’t account for the mental side of the game, which needs to be at another level. Most recent guy I played with was not spectacular in any one area. However the control over the golf ball was amazing. Every shot he hit was not only purposeful but landing and moving the way he wanted and needed it to. He shot -5 and never made a putt. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I worked in Jupiter as a club pro for three years in the early 2000’s. I also lived there so I didn’t split time like many guys trying to make a career as a club pro.

Jupiter at that time was littered with players who had grand aspirations of playing on Tour. We’re talking about guys who could play a course blind and shoot 68 without missing a beat.

Trouble is, that was barely enough to play the local Golden Bear Tour where a few regulars would make a career playing a few events and make 90-100k with their eyes closed.

I can’t imagine what it’s like down there today, I last visited in 2015 and a lot of the town I was accustomed to was unrecognizable.
@revkev I love that idea of a player development membership. Equally fun for the members as it is beneficial to the aspiring pro.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

In my humble opinion it’s not the ability to score low that separates average Joe Scratch from a Tour Pro it’s the Pro’s ability to score low consistently over a tournament and season. Most accomplished golfers can have a singular excellent round when all the stars align. The problem is these average guys are as likely to shoot 88 as they are 68. Professionals just don’t have that huge swing in scoring.

The other thing I’ve noticed is a Pro’s scoring within a round is often littered with birdies. They do have bad holes as well but the amount of birdies routinely offsets the occasional bogey or double bogey.

We all have a level of potential within us. Your potential changes over a life time based on health, fitness, life’s priorities and resources. Most (not all) professional golfers come from affluent backgrounds. From a very early age they’ve had great coaching, great equipment and the financial backing to maximize their abilities. As they develop, Golf in their lives and the resources that develop their skills grow larger. Average Joe Scratch maybe very accomplished but often he/she has other responsibilities that take precedent over Golf. While they may posses the talent/potential to score low they just don’t have all the other tangibles and intangibles to do so consistently over a four round tournament or competitive Golf season.

If LeBron James were to play in my church basketball league he would probably score 80 points. If Brooks K were to play a round of Golf with my weekend group he would most likely shoot in the mid to low 60s but he is not going to shoot in the low 50s. I guess my point here is the true separation between a Touring Pro and Average Joe Scratch is not an individual shot or round, more so, it’s the ability to consistently score within a competitive range.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

There are several PGA Tour pros that live on the course I belong to, mostly because the course is always in condition to host a PGA Tour event tomorrow, and the tips are at over 7,800 yards when maxed out. As was mentioned above, driving distance can easily seperate the haves from the have nots as far as professional golf goes.

Using my pathetic game as an example, I can shoot in the low 70s consistently on a course of about 6,000 yards. But if you put me on tees of 6,700 or more I will be lucky to break 85. The guys on tour have the ability to not only overpower the longest of courses, but do it with wedge in hand on even a 500 yard par 4. Tour pros play par 3s of over 200 yards almost every time, where us normal mortals struggle with 175 yards and up.

And as also was mentioned, putting is the great equalizer.

My Dad once played a round with Bruce Fleisher at his home course years ago, where Fleisher had never played before, and had no idea about the greens. He shot 68 blind without a caddie simply by parring every hole and two putting all of the par 5s. That’s a tour pro who can use his distance to neutralize a course and simply play for par on every hole and take the par 5 birdies to shoot 68.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I will try again on this - the way courses that touring pros play are set up is 4 to 5 strokes more difficult than the average course that a scratch golfer plays -

Even the tougher courses that we play or are members at are not set up like a tour event - I’m reminded of that every time I go to the Valspar and see the pin on 5 tucked behind a deep trap, with the wind blowing the opposite way, the green like cement running around 13.

My course is tough - well tougher and longer than what the average scratch guy plays - it’s course rating is 74.4 and slope 144. It’s in primo shape and it has hosted tour events, in the old silly season - in order to host a regular tour event the rough would need to be brought in and thickened, the greens firmed up and rolled and 7 converted to a par 4.

The 66 these guys that you are seeing these guys shoot bear no resemblance to a 66 in a PGA tour event. Heck, I shot a 66 once, for real, in a competition - there was no way I was taking that game down route 43 to Brown Deer Park, the easiest course on tour and shooting even par 71 with it with the course set up used for the GMO.

There is the same gap between Brook’s Koepka and the industrial league golf guys as there is between LeBron and the church league hoops guys - the gap just looks different in golf and doesn’t feel the same because no one is getting posterized in golf.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

I will try again on this -

what is it you are "trying again on..."?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Distance is one thing but putting the ball in the hole a totally different story. Some long hitters on various tours that don’t have the game to make it on the big stage

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Distance is one thing but putting the ball in the hole a totally different story. Some long hitters on various tours that don’t have the game to make it on the big stage

Absolutely.  There are also guys who are wizards inside 150 yards who can't make it on the big stage because they don't hit it nearly long enough.  To be even a journeyman on the PGA Tour you need to be pretty dang long, and be pretty dang good with every other facet of the game.  A significant weakness in any one part of the game will make you a two-day player at best, not a 4-day player.  There's not much money coming in when you're slamming the trunk on Friday night.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 10/6/2019 at 7:22 AM, revkev said:

One just made it to the second layer of Korn Ferry qualifying - he’s a plus 5 - his coach told me he’s a long shot to make that tour - he said you normally have to be a plus 6 before you’re at that level.

Wow. (..jaw drops..) Just wow.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

55 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Absolutely.  There are also guys who are wizards inside 150 yards who can't make it on the big stage because they don't hit it nearly long enough.  To be even a journeyman on the PGA Tour you need to be pretty dang long, and be pretty dang good with every other facet of the game.  A significant weakness in any one part of the game will make you a two-day player at best, not a 4-day player.  There's not much money coming in when you're slamming the trunk on Friday night.

Yup. The top 50 in the world have serious game and probably down to top 100ish. That 100 and down where guys are fighting almost weekly for a check have serious game and the drop off from there is mental and skill. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

what is it you are "trying again on..."?

This has come up in a number of threads here and in another forum that I was once a part of and in 19th hole discussions among friends.

There’s a huge gap between guys on tour and that 38 year old at your club who is always shooting rounds in the 60’s.

Because golf is a non contact sport that pits golfer against course far more than golfer against golfer people are lulled into thinking they could have played in tour, if only.

The gap is just as big as other sports, it’s just that you aren’t going to get hurt when your 68 at Bushwood turns out to be an 85 at Bayhill.

In regards to distance it is certainly true that not everyone who hits it a long way is a successful tour player but you better hit it a long way if you want to play on tour. 280 is a long way by the standards of the weekend warrior - that’s entry level on tour - you best be extremely good in other areas if you average 280 on the PGA or European Tours.

Distance or more accurately strokes gained driving is the biggest difference between Joe Scratch and Joe pro. There are differences across the board statistically but that’s the biggest one.

There are stats out there that help this discussion and in today’s world it’s easy enough for a guy to keep his own stats - you can compare and see where you stand or where that scratch guy at the club stands.

At my club the “scratch” guys are young stud pluses just out of college because we cut them a nice price break and it’s a great place to play/practice. They would blow away Joe Scratch. We also get an influx of Canadian Tour guys in February and March. They’re very good - only a few of them have matriculated to the Korn Ferry.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

20 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yup. The top 50 in the world have serious game and probably down to top 100ish. That 100 and down where guys are fighting almost weekly for a check have serious game and the drop off from there is mental and skill. 

Which also leads to another point.  It's kind of the same argument you could make for minor league baseball players.  Those guys all either think or know they have the game to compete at the highest levels, but the results indicate that they are just scratching the surface of the elite, and their income reflects it.  So how long does a guy who can drop a 64 on a regular golf course without even trying, keep grinding away on the Korn Ferry, or even missing 5 or 6 cuts on the PGA Tour year in and year out?

The travel, the grind, the wear and tear on a vehicle, your body, and your mind, all seemingly without much payback or reward.  Most of those guys have the thought in their head that "this is my week" and that they are just one shot or one putt away from breaking out and collecting that big check that will propel them to the next level.

I might be wrong in guessing this one, but I would bet that there are a handful of guys out there somewhere who have the game, both mentally and physically, to compete on the PGA Tour, but opt not to for personal reasons.  The older I get the more I dislike travelling all the time.  In your 20's and 30's you don't think about travel and the stresses that it brings, because it's seemingly a lot of fun to be in a new town every week, and getting to see a lot of new places and people.  But once you hit 40 those sorts of things aren't all that much fun anymore.  And I am willing to say that I am sure there are a few guys with the natural talent and game to go pro, but opted not to because they'd rather be home every night with the wife and kids.  And frankly, the older I get the more value I place on family and relationships with loved ones.  

I've also got to think that if you are playing golf to just chase a paycheck, versus actually loving the game, you'll fail 9 times out of 10.  No matter how good you are, you really need to love what you are doing to go all the way in anything in life, golf or baseball included.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

33 minutes ago, GSwag said:

Which also leads to another point.  It's kind of the same argument you could make for minor league baseball players.  Those guys all either think or know they have the game to compete at the highest levels, but the results indicate that they are just scratching the surface of the elite, and their income reflects it.  So how long does a guy who can drop a 64 on a regular golf course without even trying, keep grinding away on the Korn Ferry, or even missing 5 or 6 cuts on the PGA Tour year in and year out?

The travel, the grind, the wear and tear on a vehicle, your body, and your mind, all seemingly without much payback or reward.  Most of those guys have the thought in their head that "this is my week" and that they are just one shot or one putt away from breaking out and collecting that big check that will propel them to the next level.

I might be wrong in guessing this one, but I would bet that there are a handful of guys out there somewhere who have the game, both mentally and physically, to compete on the PGA Tour, but opt not to for personal reasons.  The older I get the more I dislike travelling all the time.  In your 20's and 30's you don't think about travel and the stresses that it brings, because it's seemingly a lot of fun to be in a new town every week, and getting to see a lot of new places and people.  But once you hit 40 those sorts of things aren't all that much fun anymore.  And I am willing to say that I am sure there are a few guys with the natural talent and game to go pro, but opted not to because they'd rather be home every night with the wife and kids.  And frankly, the older I get the more value I place on family and relationships with loved ones.  

I've also got to think that if you are playing golf to just chase a paycheck, versus actually loving the game, you'll fail 9 times out of 10.  No matter how good you are, you really need to love what you are doing to go all the way in anything in life, golf or baseball included.

Definitely there’s a group of people out there grinding away at every level that are barely getting by or losing money. Most women on the Symmetra tour are losing money and they have to grind away during off weeks and the off season to make money thru other work. One of the girls I follow on ig works as a caddie and does other golf related stuff to help make money. They like minor baseball players have host families that help keep cost down.

the point at which someone calls it quits and goes about a life outside of trying to make ir professionally is going to be dependent on each person. Some may grind away later in life because they aren’t looking to settle down, have stability and so on. Others may call it quits early because it’s too much and they squeeze isnt with the juice.  The girl I follow and periodcaly chat with on ig is 30 and is still grinding away on Symmetra your to get that chance

Very good post -

Many times that guy/gal will stop playing golf altogether - we have one of them just getting back into the game for fun after taking a number of years off - he played at Florida - he said it’s hard to wrap his mind around the thought that playing golf can be fun.

That’s sad. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

This has come up in a number of threads here and in another forum that I was once a part of and in 19th hole discussions among friends.

There’s a huge gap between guys on tour and that 38 year old at your club who is always shooting rounds in the 60’s.

Because golf is a non contact sport that pits golfer against course far more than golfer against golfer people are lulled into thinking they could have played in tour, if only.

The gap is just as big as other sports, it’s just that you aren’t going to get hurt when your 68 at Bushwood turns out to be an 85 at Bayhill.

In regards to distance it is certainly true that not everyone who hits it a long way is a successful tour player but you better hit it a long way if you want to play on tour. 280 is a long way by the standards of the weekend warrior - that’s entry level on tour - you best be extremely good in other areas if you average 280 on the PGA or European Tours.

Distance or more accurately strokes gained driving is the biggest difference between Joe Scratch and Joe pro. There are differences across the board statistically but that’s the biggest one.

There are stats out there that help this discussion and in today’s world it’s easy enough for a guy to keep his own stats - you can compare and see where you stand or where that scratch guy at the club stands.

At my club the “scratch” guys are young stud pluses just out of college because we cut them a nice price break and it’s a great place to play/practice. They would blow away Joe Scratch. We also get an influx of Canadian Tour guys in February and March. They’re very good - only a few of them have matriculated to the Korn Ferry.

The other point is the mental side of the game. It's one thing to play weekends as a scratch golfer knowing that your job during the week is putting food on the table. It's another knowing that the putt your setting up for will make the difference if you get paid that week.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

The other point is the mental side of the game. It's one thing to play weekends as a scratch golfer knowing that your job during the week is putting food on the table. It's another knowing that the putt your setting up for will make the difference if you get paid that week.

And this week it’s on grainy tiff eagle, last week it was on Poa and next week, bent. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches