Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Memorable Golf moments

revkev

Kevin Na’s won has brought an interesting discussion about driving v. putting.

I think the numbers favor driving but the question was actually what would you prefer to watch? That being the case what do we remember as our most memorable golf moments.

Jack’s putt on 17 in the Master’s

Leonard’s Rider Cup putt

Watson’s chip in to win the Open

I honestly can’t think of any drive in a Major that produced a positive memorable for me.

If I’m at a tournament I’m going to the range and hanging out where I can watch tee shots unless it’s the back nine on Sunday. Beyond a doubt the memorable moments happen on the green.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Okay so I “goofed” or rather my auto correct did.

The title here should be Memorable “Golf” Moments.

Could a moderator please fix it for my birthday. :)

Thanks

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think you can correct it yourself Rev. Pretty sure I'd done that in the past.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Okay so I “goofed” or rather my auto correct did.

The title here should be Memorable “Golf” Moments.

Could a moderator please fix it for my birthday. :)

Thanks

Just click edit on your original post and type in your change. easy peasy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• revkev changed the title to Memorable Golf moments

Thanks guys - I was unable to edit it on the app but could on my laptop

Now on to the topic - I hope there's some interest - the question is which produces the most memorable moments - shots around the green or tee to green?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Was it Tiger's first or second Masters where he went OVER the trees to cut the corner on 13 to set up a 2nd shot into the green? I remember that drive, and the ensuing 'Tiger-proofing' of Augusta that moved the tee there further back.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

I seem to remember two drives. Both by John Daily. This first might have been a PGA Championship where Daily crushed a drive and then bent over to pump up his shoes. (remember those?) The other was a time Daily skanked a tee shot thereby promptly helicoptering this driver over or into the trees. LOL

My memory is a little fuzzy on the second event so perhaps someone can refresh me.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have a few drives that stand out in my memory.

• Dustin Johnson's mammoth drive on the 72nd hole at Oakmont after receiving a ridiculous penalty.  He stripped it right down the middle 303 yards to all but seal a US Open victory.
  • Dustin Johnson's wayward drive on the 72nd hole at Whistling Straits.  Everybody remembers the grounding of the club but the tee shot put him in that spot.  
  • Bubba Watson going over the trees on the left of #13 at Augusta in 2014 leaving a PW from 144 yards!  Augusta would purchase property from Augusta Country Club to keep this from happening again.
  • Tom Watson's drive on the 72nd hole of the 2009 Open at Turnberry.  When that ball stopped, I thought, "holly hell, he's going to win!"  
  • Phil Mickelson's tee shot off the hospitality tent on the 72nd hole of the 2006 US Open at Winged Foot.  Absolutely shocking!

Okay, Mickelson and DJ weren't "positive" emotions but they were nonetheless, exciting finishes.  

Both moments were from #13 at the Masters.

• Mickelson's 6 iron from the pine straw to 4 feet below the hole, which he two putted (sadly) for birdie.
  • Bubba's drive that left him a flip wedge into that green one year he won (I think).

Heck, if you want to dig deeper, you'd have to pick Bubba's wedge from the trees on #10 to the green where he won the playoff to win the Masters.

Putting is a bore fest IMHO.  And broadcasting has done it no favors, spending 99% of their time talking about the putt while someone is lining it up.  Just show me the stinking putt and show golf shots otherwise.  Such a waste of air time.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Nice memories guys - but do these trump putts to win or seal tournaments for you?

The full shot that stands out most for me is Nicklaus’ 1 iron to seal the ‘72 US Open on the 71st hole at Pebble.

He hit the stick - 17 used to play much longer than it does today.

I certainly remember the Daily driving show in the PGA. Likewise Greg Norman in the US Open that he lost to Fuzzy Zoeller in a playoff. With Tiger the biggest standout for me was the putt on the 72nd hole to tie. No one had read that putt right the entire day. Same with Phil on the last to win his first Masters.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

15 minutes ago, revkev said:

Nice memories guys - but do these trump putts to win or seal tournaments for you?

I wouldn't say any I mentioned stand out over Tiger's chip on #16 at the 2005 Masters for instance.  Or "Is it his time?"  I'm contrarian by nature so, I tend to look deeper than the obvious.  DJ's situation at the 2010 PGA is a prime example.  Everyone remembers the grounding of the club and couldn't offer any memory of the tee shot that led to the penalty.  That tee shot was easily the worst of the week and possibly the worst of any player in all four majors that season.  He missed the fairway by very nearly 100 yards!  He also missed a very short putt that would have still put him in the playoff.  

That situation also puts DJ's drive on the 72nd hole of the 2016 US Open into better perspective.  He obviously learned how to find the fairway in that situation.  One could argue, he did the same in the 2015 US Open at Chambers Bay.  He split the fairway and hit his approach to 12 feet.  By all outward appearance, he was at least going to tie Spieth and go to a playoff.  Bumpy greens aside, he did what he needed to do tee-to-green to give himself a chance to win.  He learned from the 2010 PGA.

Memorable positive shots are the approach shot to gimme range or the chip in or long putt to seal the win . Drives are only remembered when they result in the player losing the event.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I wouldn't say any I mentioned stand out over Tiger's chip on #16 at the 2005 Masters for instance.  Or "Is it his time?"  I'm contrarian by nature so, I tend to look deeper than the obvious.  DJ's situation at the 2010 PGA is a prime example.  Everyone remembers the grounding of the club and couldn't offer any memory of the tee shot that led to the penalty.  That tee shot was easily the worst of the week and possibly the worst of any player in all four majors that season.  He missed the fairway by very nearly 100 yards!  He also missed a very short putt that would have still put him in the playoff.  
That situation also puts DJ's drive on the 72nd hole of the 2016 US Open into better perspective.  He obviously learned how to find the fairway in that situation.  One could argue, he did the same in the 2015 US Open at Chambers Bay.  He split the fairway and hit his approach to 12 feet.  By all outward appearance, he was at least going to tie Spieth and go to a playoff.  Bumpy greens aside, he did what he needed to do tee-to-green to give himself a chance to win.  He learned from the 2010 PGA.

Having been to Whistling a number of times I’m still amazed that someone could hit a ball where DJs drive went on 18. The only way I could get it there would be a drive from two tee boxes up and a shanked 2nd Shot. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Corey Pavin’s Cleveland 4 wood on the 18th at Shinnecock. I remember watching with my family on Sunday; to this day, my father and I still talk about what a great shot he hit that Sunday.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

10 hours ago, revkev said:

Having been to Whistling a number of times I’m still amazed that someone could hit a ball where DJs drive went on 18. The only way I could get it there would be a drive from two tee boxes up and a shanked 2nd Shot. 🙂

I've never been but my neighbors have.  They came back and insisted I had to look at Google Maps.

Corey Pavin’s Cleveland 4 wood on the 18th at Shinnecock. I remember watching with my family on Sunday; to this day, my father and I still talk about what a great shot he hit that Sunday.

Now they have wedges :)

It was a great shot

How about David Toms’ hole in one on Sunday to win the PGA or Bob Tway’s bunker hole out?

I’m thinking of more of these as we go on

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Now they have wedges :)

It was a great shot

How about David Toms’ hole in one on Sunday to win the PGA or Bob Tway’s bunker hole out?

I’m thinking of more of these as we go on

DT has such a great swing...not just a great swing but I would argue, the most technically efficient putting stroke that we’ve seen.

In an interview following the 2001 PGA, his wife bought him a glass case to hold his Cleveland 5 wood

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/