Boblopez1

Adjusting irons loft for distance

Our Sponsors

... I would add while it is common to bend lofts 1* bending them 2* is usually a full 1/2 club change and is more rare. (although some modern irons have 5* gaps) Bending lofts by 2* or more is much more common. And as cnosil already mentioned, changing the bounce by more than 1* can also be a pretty drastic change. And lastly, bending irons strong increases the offset and for many players this is a big no-no. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

That is part of the fun of the game right? Experimenting and adjusting, If it does not work. Oh well, just bend them back no loss. 

... If you are a tinkerer and have your own bending machine, this kinda thing can be a ton of fun. 30 years ago golf forums were coming up with some of the most insane ideas and experiments and while most didn't work out, it was so much fun experimenting. Good luck!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I would add while it is common to bend lofts 1* bending them 2* is usually a full 1/2 club change and is more rare. (although some modern irons have 5* gaps) Bending lofts by 2* or more is much more common. And as cnosil already mentioned, changing the bounce by more than 1* can also be a pretty drastic change. And lastly, bending irons strong increases the offset and for any players this is a big no-no. 

I agree with that and I do not pretend to be the most knowledgeable tinkerer. With access to a lie loft machine, no harm no fuel. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 1:02 PM, cnosil said:

Why bend the entire set? Top and bottom establish the extremes and you fit the other clubs in between.

I did take out the part about bounce. I know it changes bounce but it may not be 1 for 1.

Bounce does change 1 for 1 but may or may not be detrimental.  Bending irons 2-3 degrees is pretty common and likely not going to change much of the playability.  I do generally suggest to not change the lofts just for an overall distance gain but to properly gap your golf clubs.  I have a wedge at 50* and another club at 48 with a 15 yard gap - I rest real easy at night knowing my clubs will go the distance I need with a gap of my choosing.  4 degrees between clubs is a nice starting point but after that get a predetermined gap between your clubs.  This is why is called custom fitting versus 'returning to spec." 

• Like 1