Boblopez1

Adjusting irons loft for distance

30 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Hope it works for you. Preferred method it to evaluate carry distances and adjust to get consistent gapping. The loft change may or may not get you the right distances. Have to actually test.

Also, I looked it up and it is a 1:1 ratio of loft change to bounce change.

Was hopping on here to post just that.  It is a 1:1 on loft/bounce adjustment.  Make sure you checked your lie angles afterwards too.

• Like 2

... I would add while it is common to bend lofts 1* bending them 2* is usually a full 1/2 club change and is more rare. (although some modern irons have 5* gaps) Bending lofts by 2* or more is much more common. And as cnosil already mentioned, changing the bounce by more than 1* can also be a pretty drastic change. And lastly, bending irons strong increases the offset and for many players this is a big no-no. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

That is part of the fun of the game right? Experimenting and adjusting, If it does not work. Oh well, just bend them back no loss. 

... If you are a tinkerer and have your own bending machine, this kinda thing can be a ton of fun. 30 years ago golf forums were coming up with some of the most insane ideas and experiments and while most didn't work out, it was so much fun experimenting. Good luck!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I would add while it is common to bend lofts 1* bending them 2* is usually a full 1/2 club change and is more rare. (although some modern irons have 5* gaps) Bending lofts by 2* or more is much more common. And as cnosil already mentioned, changing the bounce by more than 1* can also be a pretty drastic change. And lastly, bending irons strong increases the offset and for any players this is a big no-no. 

I agree with that and I do not pretend to be the most knowledgeable tinkerer. With access to a lie loft machine, no harm no fuel. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 8:29 PM, Boblopez1 said:

Hi Gang,

Update I finally decided to go to a club fitter and what 'ya know I've been playing with the wrong equipment for the last 13 years lol turns out my buddy the "club maker" made me set of irons with a C7 swung weight and a 1/2 inch short and my 7iron is 35deg lol no wonder I could barely hit it 140yds with an iron swing speed of 82mph.

Now I'm looking at a set of Srixon Z-785 1deg flat with stiff nippon 105 stepped down shaft with +4 Grips at a D1 swing weight. My god they felt amazing, should have done this a long time ago.

Thanks everyone

The proof is in your scoring. If that improves and stays improved, the fitting and new irons were a good investment. Best of luck.