Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

P90x -- Anyone here finished it?

Hi all, I am on day 4 of P90x and so far i am really liking what i see/how i feel. For those of you that may not know, it is a full body transformation/comprehensive exercise program that comes with everything you need to make a change in your body for the better. It also comes with a nutrition guide, which they want you to follow. My personal belief is that you dont have to follow their recipies to a t, i just think that if you eat sensibly, and use their guidelines then you should do fine. As far as food distribution goes, depending on your body type; they will put you into one of 3 categories. I am in category 3 since i weigh 236 ATM. That just means that i need more protien and more food. So basically i eat 7 times a day, 2 of which are protien shakes. So far, i am extremely happy with the way i feel; especially post workout. I did the yoga last night. If you want to get your butt kicked, this is the way. I never gave yoga or pilates a second look before thinking they were "womens" exercises, but let me tell you i was drained after an 1.5 hours of yoga. Let me add that not all the owrkouts are that long. Most are 1 hour with some being 40 minutes. The yoga one is that long from what i understand, because you are doing the real exercise portion then working on your flexibility then a severely good feeling cooldown. It was a total natural high.

Anyway, i think it will help my golf game as he emphasizes stretching, yoga(seriously, dont knock this till you try it lol), plyometrics, and kenp0(a martial arts from what i gather). In between these sets there are regular muscle building exercises as well. For instance, tonight is legs and back.

Just swinging the club around the house i feel much looser and better. Tomorrow morning i am planning on playing after my PT test.

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 P90X is amazing. Just keep pushing play, and you will have incredible results. The increased flexibility i have now in unimaginable.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

There are several guys on one of the other golf forums I visit that are doing this program.

I asked my new personal trainer about it, and he said it was very good -- he just didn't know anyone that was able to complete it.

There are several guys on one of the other golf forums I visit that are doing this program.

I asked my new personal trainer about it, and he said it was very good -- he just didn't know anyone that was able to complete it.

It takes a lot of time and commitment to get through it. I have started and stopped it on more than one occasion. I did finish it though, And the results are unbelievable.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

I am on week 2, day 2...so far so good. I have not dropped much pound wise, but i can tell the way my pants fit and also the way i look in the mirror that i am a touch leaner already. So far the hardest workout for me is the Plyometrics and the Yoga. But honestly when i am done with the workouts each night i have so many endorphins running through me and feel awesome. I sleep so much better too!

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

It's definitely tough, but what's nice is that you will see results in the first week (if you're using the diet plan with the workouts). That immediate feedback helped me push through the soreness of the first couple weeks, and by the end of 30 days, it's just part of your habit.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

It's definitely tough, but what's nice is that you will see results in the first week (if you're using the diet plan with the workouts). That immediate feedback helped me push through the soreness of the first couple weeks, and by the end of 30 days, it's just part of your habit.

Alright so I am interested. 2 days a week to the gym just maintains this fine physique. Where is the best place to look for the program. Like $130 ish at amazon.

How are you mounting the pull-up bar? That seems like a big part of it.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Alright so I am interested. 2 days a week to the gym just maintains this fine physique. Where is the best place to look for the program. Like $130 ish at amazon.

Gotta have a pullup bar. There are some that hang in any doorway that look really good. I created my own in the garage out of 1" pipe. does the trick. BeachBody is running all kinds of specials all the time. Right now Doug Gottlieb is doing the program, and pimping it on his show. There is a discount if you order it through ESPN I think. It totally works, and is money well spent. much better than a new wedge, or dammit hammer.

I've seen P90x on Ebay at times for cheaper than that. Wow, didn't know so many of you guys have been on it. What the heck have I been doing with all my time! :(

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

My brother got one of the "Iron Gym" pull up bars that mounts on a door frame without any hardware and he is pretty pleased with it. Personally, I have nowhere to put anything like that, so I don't use a pull up bar. Instead, I have a heavy band that I do rows with when he does pull ups. I can adjust my grip to match all the things he does. It's not quite the same because I end up doing much higher reps at lower weight, but that's ok given my goals anyway.

I've seen P90x on Ebay at times for cheaper than that. Wow, didn't know so many of you guys have been on it. What the heck have I been doing with all my time! :)

probably golfing. lucky...

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the info. I have to ask the out of shape, embarrassing question. How many pull-ups does one need to be able to do to start this? I have almost completely suppressed the memories of Presidential fitness testing in high school.

Volvo Intorqueo

Thanks for the info. I have to ask the out of shape, embarrassing question. How many pull-ups does one need to be able to do to start this? I have almost completely suppressed the memories of Presidential fitness testing in high school.

There's a fitness test at the beginning, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think they would probably say 2-3 (maybe more, not sure) pull ups are required. My view is, if you're in reasonable shape in terms of endurance and strength, just jump in and listen to your body. If your body tells you to pack it in after 20 minutes, or to do half the reps he advises, then do that.

The good thing about the P90X workout is that you don't have to do the pull ups. They will show you other exercises that you can do with resistance bands that take the place of the pull ups. Although if you can do the pull ups you will get more out of it I think.

So maybe the first time through, or early on with the bands and then graduate to the bar when I can hit the reps?

I think that is a great plan. It is a tough workout. I have it and started it last year, but never finished. I plan on starting back now that I have been in the gym more over the past 4 months and feel that I will be able to follow it the full way through.

The good thing about the P90X workout is that you don't have to do the pull ups. They will show you other exercises that you can do with resistance bands that take the place of the pull ups. Although if you can do the pull ups you will get more out of it I think.

This is a very good point. Also, at the risk of repeating something I may have said earlier, I never did pull ups for P90X because I didn't/don't have a place to put a bar. I just use the bands and do seated rows with a variety of grips and I think the results were pretty good.

This is a very good point. Also, at the risk of repeating something I may have said earlier, I never did pull ups for P90X because I didn't/don't have a place to put a bar. I just use the bands and do seated rows with a variety of grips and I think the results were pretty good.

As long as you follow the concept that they are showing you the results will be similar. I try to use muscle confusion when I am in the gym now. I always try to rotate my workouts each couple of weeks because I don't want my muscles to just be stagnate, I want to see growth or more tone to my muscles.

What is the food plan side of it like? Calorie control? Protein/Carb/Fat ratios?

Calorie control and ratios. I like the "portions" version of the meal plan where they lay out how many servings of each category you get per day. For example, in stage 1, you should eat ___ proteins per day (they explain what constitutes 1 protein) and ___ carbs per day, and veggies, fruits, dairy, etc. There's also a version where they give you actual recipes and meals to make, but that wouldn't have worked for me.

• SPY VIP

Calorie control and ratios. I like the "portions" version of the meal plan where they lay out how many servings of each category you get per day. For example, in stage 1, you should eat ___ proteins per day (they explain what constitutes 1 protein) and ___ carbs per day, and veggies, fruits, dairy, etc. There's also a version where they give you actual recipes and meals to make, but that wouldn't have worked for me.

Sounds good. Someone telling me to "eat this stuff" is helpful. I think that I will be checking this out.

Volvo Intorqueo

What is the food plan side of it like? Calorie control? Protein/Carb/Fat ratios?

Food plan in excellent. First month it is a High Protein, no carb thing, then it morphs into a 1/2 and 1/2 plan, then more of a 1/3 2/3 deal. plenty of calories and more food than I was eating before the Plan began... Unfortunately, there is no beer meal. I need to figure that out...

when I got started, I could barely do 3, Now I can knock out 8-9 pretty regularly. It really is hard, but fun....

BRING IT!!

This might be a dumb question - but does it have to be 90 days? i just don't see me sticking to something that intense for that long. would be great for the winter but then you throw in thanksgiving, christmas, new years - all tough roadblocks to staying on the schedule. summer I play in tournaments and know I would bag the program due to an event.

that being said - i guess the point is to commit to the program, no excuses...

• SPY VIP

I think that is a valid question. 90 days is a big time investment. I was successful at dropping pounds with atkins and they have stayed off because I have kept the low-ish carb diet going for three years. I think that I will try this system, as much as my time and schedule permits. Even if not 100% in, it sounds like I will see some improvement.

Volvo Intorqueo

Obviously, any amount of working out is going to benefit you. P90x will show you gains in as little as 14 days, but the big body transformations that you see on tv happen in the last 30 days. To really get the max out of the program, you should do the whole thing, but some is better than none at all

• SPY VIP

Obviously, any amount of working out is going to benefit you. P90x will show you gains in as little as 14 days, but the big body transformations that you see on tv happen in the last 30 days. To really get the max out of the program, you should do the whole thing, but some is better than none at all

So you made it through the whole program? Without touching the amber diet-killing liquid?

Volvo Intorqueo

This might be a dumb question - but does it have to be 90 days? i just don't see me sticking to something that intense for that long. would be great for the winter but then you throw in thanksgiving, christmas, new years - all tough roadblocks to staying on the schedule. summer I play in tournaments and know I would bag the program due to an event.

that being said - i guess the point is to commit to the program, no excuses...

You don't need to do 90 days. Occasionally, I get on a 5-10 day kick and I find that to be helpful. Obviously, 90 is optimal for getting the full benefits, but I think 60, or even 30, is better than nothing. Saying it's 90 or nothing is like saying you shouldn't start being healthy if you're not going to commit to working out forever.

So you made it through the whole program? Without touching the amber diet-killing liquid?

I drank during my 90 days and still lost almost 40 pounds. I just factored it into my eating for the day and tried to keep it to a minimum. Moderation in all things, except golf.

Archived