MmmmmmBuddy

Fitting Questions?????

Very cool of you to offer your services ... thank you!!! :lol:

How are places like Golf Galaxy and Dick's for getting fit? I'm assuming they are OK for beginners, but the better you get, you should be going somewhere else to be fit???

What do you think is the optimal way to fit a golfer for their lie angles?

3JACK

Good question. At my facility, we fit outside on a driving range. I have used several methods, but the most reliable seems to be a combo of lie tape and flight. If I give my guy a club that he is marking on the heel, but the flight is spot on, then we go with it. I could care less if the mark is in the center of the club, if the shots are 30 yards offline. Isn't that the reason we fit??

• Like 1

How are places like Golf Galaxy and Dick's for getting fit? I'm assuming they are OK for beginners, but the better you get, you should be going somewhere else to be fit???

I know the local Dicks has a few fellas that used to work for us, and know their stuff. Unfortunately, there is no outdoor range, and the Big Box boys must rely totally on launch monitor data. And we all know that sometimes those things can be a little messed up. IMO, you are better of finding a local pro or shop that has a range and go get fit there.

• Like 1

What do you think is the optimal way to fit a golfer for their lie angles?

3JACK

Lie boards?

If I were to go from using S300 shafts in my irons which weigh about 130 grams to KBS stiff which weighs about 120 grams, how many swingweight points would that effect?

3JACK

If I were to go from using S300 shafts in my irons which weigh about 130 grams to KBS stiff which weighs about 120 grams, how many swingweight points would that effect?

3JACK

If you use the same lengths and grips, the change will be between 1-2 swing weights.

Sorry for the brief answer. Changing to a 10g lighter shaft with all other variables staying the same, will lighten the swingweight approx 1.5 points.

So in my quest to make better contact, I seem to make better contact if I stand taller in my stance. However this brings the heel of the club up and while I feel compression, ball flight is very hooky. I am a classically untrained OTT swinger. Issues with rotation. bla bla bla. Standing taller makes me turn better, or so it seems. Looking at the club though, when I stand taller, I am not hitting the middle of the burners, more like the front 1/3. mat marks toward the toe.

I am thinking that maybe I need the Irons bent up a bit. Does this make sense. I remember that up or down promotes left or right, but I don't remember which. It also seems to be more of an issue with the burners than the MX200s but I am sure that is only because I don't own those yet...

• Like 1

when you are hitting the face of the club on the toe, the ball should hook if you are releasing the club properly. Standing closer to the ball will encourage the sole of the club to contact the ground TOE first. This should cause the ball to go right. Bending the club upright will only exacerbate the hooking flight. It sounds like you are coming across the ball from out to in with a closed clubface, a recipe for the lefts. How tall are you?

when you are hitting the face of the club on the toe, the ball should hook if you are releasing the club properly. Standing closer to the ball will encourage the sole of the club to contact the ground TOE first. This should cause the ball to go right. Bending the club upright will only exacerbate the hooking flight. It sounds like you are coming across the ball from out to in with a closed clubface, a recipe for the lefts. How tall are you?

5'11"/6'

Clubs are 1/2" short as per fitting (long arms, short legs) standard L&L

It is just such a different ball flight than the one I have been fighting. Straight for 60% then a hard left tail. When I was really bad OTT, it was almost the opposite with the slice.

5'11"/6'

Clubs are 1/2" short as per fitting (long arms, short legs) standard L&L

It is just such a different ball flight than the one I have been fighting. Straight for 60% then a hard left tail. When I was really bad OTT, it was almost the opposite with the slice.

Sounds like a tough one to diagnose without seeing you in person. I know this sounds lame, but there are sooooo many thins that could be taking place, that I would hate to ruin your game with the wrong info. FWIW, the Burners are 1/2 inch over standard to begin with, so -1/2 in length is not a lot. If you are moving alot closer to the ball, try gripping up on the club another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and see if your face impact improves. If that is the case, I'm sure that you will be digging the toe of your clubs into the ground, and need a lie angle adjustment. I hope that this helps more than it harms... unless we are playing for $$$$

Sounds like a tough one to diagnose without seeing you in person. I know this sounds lame, but there are sooooo many thins that could be taking place, that I would hate to ruin your game with the wrong info. FWIW, the Burners are 1/2 inch over standard to begin with, so -1/2 in length is not a lot. If you are moving alot closer to the ball, try gripping up on the club another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and see if your face impact improves. If that is the case, I'm sure that you will be digging the toe of your clubs into the ground, and need a lie angle adjustment. I hope that this helps more than it harms... unless we are playing for $$$$

Thanks for the help. My next clump of "golf money" is going to go to a series of lessons, probably with one of the Haggin pros. I can't watch myself and it feels like I have hit a point where everything is going everywhere.

Thanks for the help. My next clump of "golf money" is going to go to a series of lessons, probably with one of the Haggin pros. I can't watch myself and it feels like I have hit a point where everything is going everywhere.

always a good idea to have someone look at you if you feel it going sideways. It could very well be something very simple, like an alignment error...

always a good idea to have someone look at you if you feel it going sideways. It could very well be something very simple, like an alignment error...

That's my hope. Look at my swing, diagnose the garbage, give me some drills for a week, and see you again next week.

Wash, rinse, repeat, shoot in the 80's

• Like 1