TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fitting Questions?????

Do yourself a favor in case they don't have face tape available. Take either a whiteboard marker or a sharpie. Instead of typing it all out, from here I'll copy and paste Tom Wishon's words on how to do the test.

"The ink line on the back of the ball technique for dynamic lie fitting is simple and logical. A heavy ink line is drawn on the ball with a Sharpie pen. The ball is placed on the ground with the line vertical and facing the clubhead. After impact, a faint image of the ink line is transferred to the clubface. If the line is perfectly vertical on the clubface, the lie of the club is correct for the golfer. If the ink line tilts in an angle up toward the toe side of the face, the lie of the club that was hit is too upright so the correct lie has to be flatter than the lie of the club being hit. Vice versa — if the ink line angles up toward the heel side of the face, the correct lie has to be more upright than the lie of the test club."

Do this step AFTER the sole tape has been done (and the club adjusted). This simplifies the fitting and need to keep going back and forth.

I prefer to do every club. I also own a loft/lie machine and can do that. Some stores don't or won't do every club (they should but usually don't). Just make sure once adjusting your test club that the clubs are adjusted from the test club (if they do the hit one club fitting). Once you have that first one right, check the spec from the stock specs. Then adjust lie angles based on stock lie angles (meaning the actual specs from the manufacturer not take every club and bend it x amount from where it sits currently). Lots of stores will say 1 degree upright and will bend every club a degree up from where it's at currently instead of saying "the stated lie is 63 degrees and we went 1 degree up so it's now 64 degrees. That means the next club's stated lie that's supposed to be 63.5 should be 64.5 degrees." There are tolerance built in. Make sure they bend them based off of stated specs and not their current position.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Oh and in case someone needed one or has never seen one, here's a wrist to floor chart (the one I actually use myself except mine is handwritten in my notes).

4EA29FA9-EBE4-44E0-B6BD-9680085D55F6_zps

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 11 months later...

Great chart. Quick question though. Do you measure with shoes on or off since you play with shoes on?

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Shoes on

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Great chart. Quick question though. Do you measure with shoes on or off since you play with shoes on?

Shoes on

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

• 8 months later...

Can a shaft that is too weak cause high right pushes? 

Update:   I found some awesome info about shafts to ponder on:

https://www.mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-wrong-shaft-flex/

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Update:   I found some awesome info about shafts to ponder on:

Sure it can. To be honest, ANY shaft that is INCORRECT in terms of length, weight, flex, bend point, etc will cause any sort of erratic or bad shot in any direction. Combine this with ill fitting equipment in terms of loft, lie and weight distribution and you have a potential recipe for disaster.

That is why the only real way to tell if you have the correct shaft and/or equipment is to get fitted. 

Sure it can. To be honest, ANY shaft that is INCORRECT in terms of length, weight, flex, bend point, etc will cause any sort of erratic or bad shot in any direction. Combine this with ill fitting equipment in terms of loft, lie and weight distribution and you have a potential recipe for disaster.

That is why the only real way to tell if you have the correct shaft and/or equipment is to get fitted. 

Man we are so fortunate to have you on our forum!   I always enjoy your comments and appreciate it when you share wisdom.

Cleveland

Do yourself a favor in case they don't have face tape available. Take either a whiteboard marker or a sharpie. Instead of typing it all out, from here I'll copy and paste Tom Wishon's words on how to do the test.

"The ink line on the back of the ball technique for dynamic lie fitting is simple and logical. A heavy ink line is drawn on the ball with a Sharpie pen. The ball is placed on the ground with the line vertical and facing the clubhead. After impact, a faint image of the ink line is transferred to the clubface. If the line is perfectly vertical on the clubface, the lie of the club is correct for the golfer. If the ink line tilts in an angle up toward the toe side of the face, the lie of the club that was hit is too upright so the correct lie has to be flatter than the lie of the club being hit. Vice versa — if the ink line angles up toward the heel side of the face, the correct lie has to be more upright than the lie of the test club."

Do this step AFTER the sole tape has been done (and the club adjusted). This simplifies the fitting and need to keep going back and forth.

I prefer to do every club. I also own a loft/lie machine and can do that. Some stores don't or won't do every club (they should but usually don't). Just make sure once adjusting your test club that the clubs are adjusted from the test club (if they do the hit one club fitting). Once you have that first one right, check the spec from the stock specs. Then adjust lie angles based on stock lie angles (meaning the actual specs from the manufacturer not take every club and bend it x amount from where it sits currently). Lots of stores will say 1 degree upright and will bend every club a degree up from where it's at currently instead of saying "the stated lie is 63 degrees and we went 1 degree up so it's now 64 degrees. That means the next club's stated lie that's supposed to be 63.5 should be 64.5 degrees." There are tolerance built in. Make sure they bend them based off of stated specs and not their current position.

2 questions:

1. will the same strategy work if I use foot spray on the club?  A lot of people recommend using athletes foot spray on the club face if you don't have impact tape and that you'll be able to clearly see where the ball impacts the face.

2. if you're at the range and marking up their balls with a pen won't they get a little perturbed ?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Update: I found some awesome info about shafts to ponder on:

Club fitter told me I needed regular flex shafts based on my swing speed. When I used regular flex shafts everything went low and right. With stiff shafts, I'm dead straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Club fitter told me I needed regular flex shafts based on my swing speed. When I used regular flex shafts everything went low and right. With stiff shafts, I'm dead straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input!  I ordered an adapter to try a stiffer shaft so yea,,,   I'll be cooking with Crisco soon.

Cleveland

I'm pretty big on fitting. Especially irons. But is a driver fitting all it's cracked up to be? Especially nowadays with all the adjustability they have. (yes... I do think it can help) I've tried twice to get a fitting for a driver and both were a bust or at best a non-starter. I currently play a 2014 SLDR I received here on MGS as a tester-reviewer. It's off the shelf. The only thing I selected was a letter designation for shaft stiffness. I selected an S shaft. I recall I was luke warm on the club during my review but generally thought I had a decent club. A year thereafter I tried to purchase a custom fit and built Wishon driver. For whatever reason it was a complete bust and I returned it. Last year I attempted another driver... the Cobra Fly-z and Fly-z+. I couldn't get a good fit I felt at the time so I stuck with my SLDR.

Back to 2014 again... during that summer after I'd gotten the SLDR I went to see a pro-fitter and we worked on a LM with the driver and made a few minor tweaks but still kept the original shaft. Since then the SLDR has turned out to be the best most reliable and accurate driver I've ever owned.

This leads me to today. Or... this past Friday. A friend of mine bought a brand new Ping 10.5* G30. He had walked into a shop, looked over some drivers and walked out with the G30. No fitting. When we played he was wearing that thing out. Granted, he's a decent player with about a 5-6 hcp. Not bad. I noticed how he was flighting the ball well while retaining his normal shot shape. He said he'd gained some distance too. Good for him. The only thing I didn't like was the sound of the club. It sounded like he was hitting a tennis ball with each shot.

So... did he get lucky with his Ping? Did I get lucky with my SLDR? For me I do think I got lucky. Especially regarding the shaft. Is driver fitting over rated? I'm inclined to say it is.... a little bit. I'd still at least want to try a few different head and shaft combos (outdoors) for my next driver but I'm not all that sure a full Club Champion style fitting is necessary for me. What about you?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I tend to agree - I've been thru an on-course fitting and loved it. I also took away enough info to know what works for me.

Irons - I know my length/lie numbers, prefer the DG S300 shaft, and always play a MB head. Some heads feel better than others, and that's all I need to know.

Putter - same deal - I know my basic specs, and it all comes down to feel.

Driver - mine came from trial and error, but started with basic specs that I work well with. Also a feel judgement at the end of the day.

I'm just not a numbers guy - and maybe I'm missing something by not checking out everything the world currently has to offer.

But... put me on a LM and find a shaft that gets 4 yards more on average but it feels weird to me, you can keep your 4 yard shaft...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The thing-difference between iron fitting and driver fitting is the bending and weighting of the heads to name two. I don't have the proper equipment to bend and adjust my irons. Never will. But with a driver I can adjust and weight them myself. Provided I can test several shafts and do all my adjusting, etc. outdoors to validate; I'm good to go I think. My eyes will pretty much tell me all I need to know. When I'm getting the same or better distance, same shot shape and height I think I'm fit. But the key is to do all this outdoors.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I'm pretty big on fitting. Especially irons. But is a driver fitting all it's cracked up to be? Especially nowadays with all the adjustability they have. (yes... I do think it can help) I've tried twice to get a fitting for a driver and both were a bust or at best a non-starter. I currently play a 2014 SLDR I received here on MGS as a tester-reviewer. It's off the shelf. The only thing I selected was a letter designation for shaft stiffness. I selected an S shaft. I recall I was luke warm on the club during my review but generally thought I had a decent club. A year thereafter I tried to purchase a custom fit and built Wishon driver. For whatever reason it was a complete bust and I returned it. Last year I attempted another driver... the Cobra Fly-z and Fly-z+. I couldn't get a good fit I felt at the time so I stuck with my SLDR.

Back to 2014 again... during that summer after I'd gotten the SLDR I went to see a pro-fitter and we worked on a LM with the driver and made a few minor tweaks but still kept the original shaft. Since then the SLDR has turned out to be the best most reliable and accurate driver I've ever owned.

This leads me to today. Or... this past Friday. A friend of mine bought a brand new Ping 10.5* G30. He had walked into a shop, looked over some drivers and walked out with the G30. No fitting. When we played he was wearing that thing out. Granted, he's a decent player with about a 5-6 hcp. Not bad. I noticed how he was flighting the ball well while retaining his normal shot shape. He said he'd gained some distance too. Good for him. The only thing I didn't like was the sound of the club. It sounded like he was hitting a tennis ball with each shot.

So... did he get lucky with his Ping? Did I get lucky with my SLDR? For me I do think I got lucky. Especially regarding the shaft. Is driver fitting over rated? I'm inclined to say it is.... a little bit. I'd still at least want to try a few different head and shaft combos (outdoors) for my next driver but I'm not all that sure a full Club Champion style fitting is necessary for me. What about you?

Changing shafts on my G30 made all the difference in world.  The G30 is a great head and  although the sound is a bit different if it helps you play better, screw the sound.

After my results with the shaft swap out and it working so well, I can see myself becoming a serious shaft HO... :D 

Cleveland

• 2 weeks later...

Going to pick up my clubs I had fit for me on Friday.

Any suggestions or tips on what I should be looking out for to make sure they were constructed properly?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Going to pick up my clubs I had fit for me on Friday.

Any suggestions or tips on what I should be looking out for to make sure they were constructed properly?

Hit each one... make sure the heads don't come off.   :D   And enjoy them!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hit each one... make sure the heads don't come off.   :D   And enjoy them!!

Well... that sounds pretty simple!  I did tell them I'd like to hit each club.  

They are all "MOI" matched instead of matched by swingweight.

Too much detail to go into here but suffice to say that every club is supposed to feel exactly the same when you swing it ... and if you were to close your eyes you wouldn't know which club you're swinging.

in case you're interested.... http://www.spargogolf.com/pages/frequency-m-o-i-matching-clubs

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Let us know the results and if you see diferences

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

All I can add is....

When I got my fitted irons back in August 2014 I was also given nice printout of all the specs for each club individually. It was fairly detailed too.

Nice touch. I also recall my heads were each hand selected to spec and signed by Tom Wishon personally. The "hand-Select" was an option that I chose.

Not sure if your fitter offers this.

All I can add is....

When I got my fitted irons back in August 2014 I was also given nice printout of all the specs for each club individually. It was fairly detailed too.

Nice touch. I also recall my heads were each hand selected to spec and signed by Tom Wishon personally. The "hand-Select" was an option that I chose.

Not sure if your fitter offers this.

Thanks for the tip!  I'll ask about it.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

• 1 month later...

I have been reading the blog by our very own Tony Covey about "Center of Gravity and how it affects drivers. Here are a few lines that I found interesting from the blog that I will share here:

For golfers who consistently hit the ball high on the face, a higher CG driver may produce better results, while golfers who habitually strike the ball low on the face will likely benefit from lower CG clubs

Closure Rate or Dynamic Closure Rate is the rate at which the clubhead closes during the downswing. The more forward the CG the slower the closure rate. Clubs with slower closure rates are generally described as being more workable. Back CG designs with faster closure rates are more forgiving, and can help to mitigate a slice.

On a comparative basis:
Drivers with forward CG locations often feel heavier than those with rear CG placements
A forward CG location will cause the shaft to feel stiffer.
Because of the effect on closure rate, forward CG drivers may be harder to square, and some golfers will find it difficult to control the club during swing

One rule of thumb (and there's not universal agreement here) is that an ascending AoA is generally suited for mid-cg, descending fast – forward, descending slow – back.

Where you impact the ball on the face matters. If you're a consistent high face guy, regardless of AoA, higher CG may work better, where low CG generally works best with low face impact. This is true of toe and heel side as well. The best results come when the CG and impact point are aligned.

Ok  so now maybe I can be advised if a guy with a swing speed in the  88 - 92 ish  range, who hits the ball high on the face could possibly benefit from a driver with the center of gravity more forward?  This is interesting stuff however  I'm not one of those techy type folks who grasps these concepts right away.

Cleveland

• 4 weeks later...

Hi MmmmmmBuddy, my fitting question today is:

Can you pull a graphite shaft and then re-use it in a new head?

(Or does the graphite tip get weakened)

Thanks!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Hi MmmmmmBuddy, my fitting question today is:

Can you pull a graphite shaft and then re-use it in a new head?

(Or does the graphite tip get weakened)

Thanks!!

It's fine to use if it is done right.  Bad if it's twisted.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

So don't twist the shaft when pulling? And is there a way to tell if one has been twisted (I buy used stuff alot)?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 3 weeks later...

2 questions:

1. will the same strategy work if I use foot spray on the club? A lot of people recommend using athletes foot spray on the club face if you don't have impact tape and that you'll be able to clearly see where the ball impacts the face.

2. if you're at the range and marking up their balls with a pen won't they get a little perturbed ?

Sorry haven't been here in a while. Forgot about this post.

The purpose of the sharpie and line is not to see where impact is like with foot spray. The purpose of the line is to determine dynamic lie at impact in relation to the ball. Lie tape on the sole will lie to you off of a lie board. The line left on the face of the iron should be perfectly vertical when you hit the ball. If it's tilted toward the heel or the toe, that's letting you know if the clubs are too upright or too flat at impact (where it matters). The line is vertical on the ball, if the line on the face is also vertical, that means your impact is correct and the lie is correct because the club comes in perfectly on plane from heel to toe.

2. I've never had a range say anything. They're range balls. The marker comes right off anyway

In The Bag

• 3 months later...

I'm a bit confused, got fitted by a local oem rep recently, they suggest I use Nippon modus 120 in x flex. I've always used dg s400 and more recently as I turn 40 have switched to kbs tour in stiff. My swing speed is a little over 90 with kbs a 7 iron and flying about 170 yards, with 7,100-7,200 rev spin, dec angle 49-50 and 105-110 ft max height. With the modus x, my swing speed is about the same maybe 91 instead of 90, flying 170 yards, 6,700-6,800 rev, dec angle 46-47 and 90-96 feet of height. Which would you fit me for and is the modus really a half flex softer than kbs tour? Thanks ahead of time, Peter.