TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fitting Questions?????

I've just come back to golf after a very long layoff. I did buy new but the cheapest off the rack driver, 3W, 5W, 3H & 4H I could find, my 2-SW irons are about 20 years old. I've never had anything but off the rack clubs, but I plan to buy new irons (maybe even a full set) this winter, and I am already convinced I want to get a good fitting - that's settled. But I have a couple of (dumb) questions? I don't mind spending money, but I hate wasting it.

1. I don't want to get fit for a full set all at once. Should I get fit for a new driver & woods first then irons, vice versa, or it doesn't matter?
  2. I've gone and hit a few brands/models already, and I think I know which irons are of interest. Should I share that with a fitter, or just leave it entirely to him/her to tell me what I should consider?
  3. More distance is fine but it's not my #1 priority except with the driver. Should I share what I think my priorities are? [soft feel, lower trajectory, forgiveness, distance, workability]
  4. How do I make sure I don't end up with woods and drivers that don't work together well for me? [Long ago it seems like matching swing weights helped ensure all the clubs worked together no matter what brands/models they were. Now I don't see swing weights published or mentioned that often. Not important any more?]
  5. My swing is still evolving/not fully formed, with my irons I'm still finding the right balance between upright and flatter, so I'm inclined to leave loft and lie standard at least for now. I can have lie adjusted later if necessary no?
  6. I bought an inexpensive Callaway 3H & 4H hybrids, but I still have more confidence in long irons than hybrids. How do I figure out whether to fill out that range with long irons or hybrids?
  7. I wish I knew how to be absolutely certain I get a good fitting, especially since my swing is really not "set" yet after one season back. I've ruled out the chain stores, around me the options are PGA Superstore, Club Champion ($$) or one local shop with good reviews (but I don't have any experience with them). The classic fitting Catch-22?

Any other advice would be much appreciated. I'm not new to golf, but the only fitting I had was long ago, before launch monitors.More di

I was in the same boat as you when I came back to playing in March, so I'm just speaking from experience and what I believe, I'm not a pro in any sense of the word.

1. This depends on what your current situation is. For me, the driver was the weakest club in the bag. I just couldn't control it at all, I bought it off the rack 10+ years ago. Turns out, part of it was due to the shaft being too soft. Trackman clocked me at 105-108 mph, and my old shaft was a 55g R flex, needless to say it wasn't doing me any favors. For a while, the driver was the strongest aspect of my game this season, but I'm kind of in a funk at the moment. You should assess your current gear and go from there, but it sounds like irons would be the way to go. Also, depends on what your idea of a full bag fitting is, for some that includes wedges and putter, for others it doesn't. IMO, putters and wedges are cheap enough to experiment with, driver/wood shafts and irons are a little bit larger of a financial commitment. Personally, I went with Driver/Irons and just bought a 3w with a similar shaft profile to what I fit in the driver fitting. For my wedges I went to a Titleist Thursday and worked with a staff member for 30 minutes to find out what worked best for me. Vokeys were pretty expensive, so I bought used MD3s with the same loft/bounce and similar grinds. Putter I have been experimenting with, 4 in the last 6 months, but think I've found the keeper.

2. My iron fitting was a little different, because I was chosen to test the JPX 900 Tours for MGS, so I knew what I wanted going in. At the time, I was really interested in the JPX 900 line anyways, so it worked out. I'll say that your fitter will probably like it better, LOL! Seriously though, if you're going to get the absolute best iron for your game, with no bias towards looks, to do your due diligence you have to hit a bunch. I'm not the type of person to put their ego aside and buy something I don't love the look of, even if it might be marginally better for my game. In the end it's the indian and not the arrow anyways, right?

3. Your driver fitting is there to optimize the performance of it, that includes distance. For every swing speed there's an optimal spin number and launch angle, they're going to help you get that. Carry is king when it comes to the driver -- 245 with 15 yards of roll isn't the same as carrying it 260 with 0 yards of roll on the course. That 245/15 combo could end up with you laying up instead of going for it when you have 250 to clear.

4. Can't comment on this, don't know the answer, don't know if there is an answer. Some days, things work, some days they don't.

5. Get them bent for how you're swinging that day, adjust later if you need to. What's the difference between bending it now vs. later? You're still getting it bent post-fitting. Unless during your fitting you need something like 4* up, then you might have a problem... I know if you need more than 2* Mizuno puts a different head on it, and bends it from there. Also, cast clubs are less-bendable so that's something you should consider as well.

6. I tried to bag a hybrid but I hit irons better, I don't bag a hybrid. Bag the more-consistent one.

7. https://www.golfdigest.com/story/clubfitter-directory-americas-best-clubfittersI'm skeptical about big box stores as well. There are a few Illinois natives on the boards, I'm sure one of them can recommend you a place. Otherwise, check Yelp and stuff?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Diamana Blue board x stiff shaft that I love in my titleist driver but I do seem to get to much spin on my drives. Would tipping the shaft a half inch help bring the spin down?  Thanks

Sticks:

Titleist 915D3 8.5 Graffaloy Pro Launch Red 65X

Titleist 915F Aldila NV 95 S Flex 3 Wood

Titleist 915H Aldila NV 105 S Flex 21 degree hybrid

Mizuno MP69 Dynamic Gold S300 Standard Length 2 up 3-PW

Cleveland RTX 54, Titleist SM4 48, Mizuno MP-T4 58

Odyssey 2 ball cs Superstroke 3.0 slim

Callaway Chrome Soft (2016)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry the modus had a 7 yard better dispersion over the kbs tour after 10 swings with each.

I think you've answered your own question right here.

I do believe that the Modus 120 line plays about 1/2 flex soft to some of the other OEMs, to the point where they actually have a TX (Tour X) flex available. The great thing about the Modus is they say the consumer shaft is identical to the tour shaft. Tolerances, weight sorting, all the same.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

• 2 months later...

I have a 45.5" Fubuki ZT 60 in Stiff on my Big Bertha Alpha.  If I were to cut the tip 1" would that stiffen the shaft up a little bit?  I usually play an x flex. 

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha w/Fubuki ZT 60 S.

Woods: Taylormade TP R9 3W w/Fujikura Motore F1 85

Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue 2011 w/Aldila Rip S

Irons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-69 w/KBS Tour  C-Taper X130

Wedges: Maltby Tour Grind 52*,56*,60* w/KBS Tour C-Taper X130

Putter: 35" Odyssey Protype Tour Series #2 w/Superstroke Slim 3.0

• 2 weeks later...

Had my swing analyzed more closely today. My iron speed is low 80's , driver is 91 mphs. My current set that was custom fit a season back is completely wrong for me the pro says.He told me the shafts I have just kick out incorrectly and lies are wrong.Wouldnt a fitting change from session to session?What is to say I buy another custom set and the next season the specs are all wrong again.My Swing is not set yet.In the middle of a rebuilding process with it

Keep it in the short stuff

Had my swing analyzed more closely today. My iron speed is low 80's , driver is 91 mphs. My current set that was custom fit a season back is completely wrong for me the pro says.He told me the shafts I have just kick out incorrectly and lies are wrong.Wouldnt a fitting change from session to session?What is to say I buy another custom set and the next season the specs are all wrong again.My Swing is not set yet.In the middle of a rebuilding process with it

I would do a lie change for now and go with that for now. I went from normal lie to 2* up and it made a huge difference for me

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would do a lie change for now and go with that for now. I went from normal lie to 2* up and it made a huge difference for me

agree.Not all fires up to spend another $1400 plus on a custom set two years in a row

Keep it in the short stuff

agree.Not all fires up to spend another $1400 plus on a custom set two years in a row

I agree on that I don't know many that would. Keep going with the changes and once you are where you wanna be or dang near then get fit again. I'm no pro or fitter that's my 2 cents though.

I agree on that I don't know many that would. Keep going with the changes and once you are where you wanna be or dang near then get fit again. I'm no pro or fitter that's my 2 cents though.

I second this. If you're making adjustments to your swing, no point in being fit while in transition

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Some of the discussion is concerning to me. I'm not a fitter nor an expert on fitting. But some guys around here are. Maybe they will pick up on this.

Unfortunately I've see a fitter before tell a guy his fit was all wrong... as if "who did this"? Implying that he is the man to be trusted to get things right. But actually this so called fitter was a rookie at best.  I'm sad to say but all fitters are not created equal. Some simply are not qualified or experienced enough to even be doing club fittings IMO.

Since I was fit for my current set of irons my swing has changed and I play even better with my clubs. No changes necessary or performed. Certainly didn't need a new set of irons. I have however had the loft and lie checked annually to make sure they were still in spec. A few minor tweaks were necessary but that's it.

I don't buy that because you're "making adjustments" to your swing there is no point in fitting. Every golf swing evolves one way or another over time. Mine certainly has and I'd bet yours has too. I wouldn't let a changing or evolving swing hold you back for a fitting. Otherwise you never get fit.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

@tommc23 and Canucklehead.Im kinda being slightly leery about this as well.In my opinion a good swing should hit any club fine.Not a pro, just looking to enjoy the game more by hitting better shots.

Big money I'm with you on this one. I'm not an expert by any means but common sense leads me to believe that fitting enhances rather then creating results.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 1 month later...

I taking my Ping G irons out of the bag and putting my old Callaway XF back in.   I was recently told I needed a  3 degree up lie and 1/2 length adjustment made to my recently purchased Ping irons.   A Ping fitting cart was added to the DSG store I frequent and after many swings with tape and lie board I was hitting the ball further with better contact with the new configuration.  Problem being that's inside in a hitting bay.  I remember years ago I tried going 2 degrees up because I'm fairly tall at 6'1" (loss an inch over the years  :D ) and that was what I was told was right.  Well when I upped the lie I started hooking the ball off the planet so messing with the the lie scares me.   I talked to Ping and they will adjust the new irons to the specs I was fit for at $12.00 per club which includes adding the 1/2 inch, new grips, and adjusting lie 3 up. I have 6 irons that would need that adjustment so we are talking $78.00.   If it becomes counter productive with the new change then I'll be pissed.    Soooooooo anyways I'm taking my old clubs out for a spin today to see if they still smack the pants off the ball like they have for years.   If they do I'll have a decision to make about what to do with the new irons......    Just rambling here because I don't have a clue what I will end up doing at this point. 

P.S.  My old irons are 1 degree flat which throws a huge curve in this discussion and confuses the hell out of me.   :blink:  Now you know why I would be scared to send the new clubs in for $78.00 bucks wondering if I will be happy with the result....    

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I taking my Ping G irons out of the bag and putting my old Callaway XF back in. I was recently told I needed a 3 degree up lie and 1/2 length adjustment made to my recently purchased Ping irons. A Ping fitting cart was added to the DSG store I frequent and after many swings with tape and lie board I was hitting the ball further with better contact with the new configuration. Problem being that's inside in a hitting bay. I remember years ago I tried going 2 degrees up because I'm fairly tall at 6'1" (loss an inch over the years :D ) and that was what I was told was right. Well when I upped the lie I started hooking the ball off the planet so messing with the the lie scares me. I talked to Ping and they will adjust the new irons to the specs I was fit for at $12.00 per club which includes adding the 1/2 inch, new grips, and adjusting lie 3 up. I have 6 irons that would need that adjustment so we are talking $78.00. If it becomes counter productive with the new change then I'll be pissed. Soooooooo anyways I'm taking my old clubs out for a spin today to see if they still smack the pants off the ball like they have for years. If they do I'll have a decision to make about what to do with the new irons...... Just rambling here because I don't have a clue what I will end up doing at this point.

P.S. My old irons are 1 degree flat which throws a huge curve in this discussion and confuses the hell out of me. :blink: Now you know why I would be scared to send the new clubs in for $78.00 bucks wondering if I will be happy with the result....

Could your swing have adjusted over time to accommodate the flatter clubs? When they for you they take in consideration your height, wrist to floor, and the size of your hands. Over time, you may adjust to the more upright irons and may hit the ball a lot better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Do you like the ball flight of the XFs? Have you adjusted yourself to them with your posture or knee flex (think Keegan Bradley)? When I was fitted for my current irons, I did not like my ball flight at the time (too much hook). I was fitted into something flatter, and it made a ton of difference for me. But other than aiming 5 yards right of target instead of 30 yards right, I didn't have to make any adjustments. I wonder if you've fit your body into your XFs.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Could your swing have adjusted over time to accommodate the flatter clubs? When they for you they take in consideration your height, wrist to floor, and the size of your hands. Over time, you may adjust to the more upright irons and may hit the ball a lot better.

Yea that's what I'm hoping will happen.  It may be a rough start adjusting to the new adjustments in the beginning and turn into something pleasantly surprising after all the dust settles.  The thing is Ping will set the new lies to factory specs and redot the the irons to white so I know it will be done right.  My buddy at DGS said he could change the lie but I'm thinking spend the bucks and get it done where you know it will be up to snuff. 

Cleveland

Yea that's what I'm hoping will happen. It may be a rough start adjusting to the new adjustments in the beginning and turn into something pleasantly surprising after all the dust settles. The thing is Ping will set the new lies to factory specs and redot the the irons to white so I know it will be done right. My buddy at DGS said he could change the lie but I'm thinking spend the bucks and get it done where you know it will be up to snuff.

Lie angles are tricky things. I was fitted for a green dot plus a half inch in length. Then I was fitted for a white dot. I retooled my swing because it was too upright and I was coming over the top. Now my swing is much flatter and the clubs I use now after much trial and error are black dot with standard length shafts.

Lie angles are tricky things. I was fitted for a green dot plus a half inch in length. Then I was fitted for a white dot. I retooled my swing because it was too upright and I was coming over the top. Now my swing is much flatter and the clubs I use now after much trial and error are black dot with standard length shafts.

You sound like you was in a similar predicament as myself. Now ya know why my head is spinning. Hell I'm getting old and my timing, balance, etc. all comes into play. Having to adjust to a major alteration in my equipment might send me over the cliff.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

You sound like you was in a similar predicament as myself. Now ya know why my head is spinning. Hell I'm getting old and my timing, balance, etc. all comes into play. Having to adjust to a major alteration in my equipment might send me over the cliff.

I do understand and it is very frustrating. My suggestion to you; if you are happy with your swinging motion and it feels good to you, play the clubs you hit best with that swinging motion. If you need to work on things then go with the professional fitting and work on your swing.

Hey OG. Don't mean to interject, but does your Club Champion fitting include the whole bag or just drivers? If you can do irons with them, maybe you should wait to see what they recommend before changing anything on your current clubs?

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Wow OG. That is quite the sticker bush. Going from flat to 2 up is quite a change. Also consider that 1/2 in length will add a bit more upright. I believe i was told 1 degree for every inch. So it might in actuality be 2.5 up you are going.

Now for me that would be perfect. I have a lot of faith in PING based on past experiences.

But i understand your hesitation.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Wow OG. That is quite the sticker bush. Going from flat to 2 up is quite a change. Also consider that 1/2 in length will add a bit more upright. I believe i was told 1 degree for every inch. So it might in actuality be 2.5 up you are going.

Now for me that would be perfect. I have a lot of faith in PING based on past experiences.

I have faith in Ping as well; however I've never personally met anyone at a DSG that I would allow to regrip a club, let alone fit me into anything. I'd definitely get a second opinion, OG, before I let anyone touch those Pings.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I have faith in Ping as well; however I've never personally met anyone at a DSG that I would allow to regrip a club, let alone fit me into anything. I'd definitely get a second opinion, OG, before I let anyone touch those Pings.

True. I forgot we were talking about Dicks. Fir sime reason i had his fitting from CC in mind.

Hey OG. Don't mean to interject, but does your Club Champion fitting include the whole bag or just drivers? If you can do irons with them, maybe you should wait to see what they recommend before changing anything on your current clubs?

No my fitting includes driver, fairways, & hybrids.    

I have an opportunity to swap out my irons for the exact specs I need for a set from Callaway Preowned.   The difference being the irons are Steelhead with graphite shafts.   I actually wanted graphite in the first place with the Pings but trying to save a few bucks went with steel.  Now for $148.00 difference I can get the Cally irons and move back into graphite.    If I send the Pings back to the factory they will make the adjustments for $12.00 per club which will cost me $72.00 but I'll have the steel shafts.   

Cleveland

I went thst route once in going with steel over recoil (which had worked great for me in the past) to save a few bucks, and regretted it.

I went thst route once in going with steel over recoil (which had worked great for me in the past) to save a few bucks, and regretted it.

Yep and that's why I made take the deal  for the Callys with graphite.   I'm waiting on a buyer from craigslist to get back with me.   If I get what I want then it will make sense to hop back on the graphite train.  Gawd I do some dumb things at times and regret it later.  :wacko:

Cleveland

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently gaming a Cobra Fly Z set at 9 deg, with a Graffalloy Bi-Matrix shaft in X flex.  I installed the Bi-matrix shaft in hopes of bringing ball flight and spin rate down.  It's worked, but not nearly enough.  Am contemplating a new driver (Low Spin Model) but also have had thoughts of doing a hot melt job on the Fly Z and positioning the Hot Melt high and forward in the head.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm currently gaming a Cobra Fly Z set at 9 deg, with a Graffalloy Bi-Matrix shaft in X flex. I installed the Bi-matrix shaft in hopes of bringing ball flight and spin rate down. It's worked, but not nearly enough. Am contemplating a new driver (Low Spin Model) but also have had thoughts of doing a hot melt job on the Fly Z and positioning the Hot Melt high and forward in the head. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It's going to help a little bit but not that much. If you really need to lower ball flight, you need a club with less loft that will kill the spin. Try an 8.5 M3 set to lower with both weights pushed all the way forward and a rogue silver 70X. If you're spinning that too much, you have a swing flaw that's causing that much spin.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7