TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fitting Questions?????

Nic, that's interesting, I'm completely the opposite. I played the NV in my driver for a bit and I hated it. I didn't think it had much "feel," just extremely boardy. On the other hand, I really liked the Voodoo when I demo'd it. It feels extremely lively, even in the stiff flex, but yet it doesn't perform like a noodle - nice mid/low trajectory. Interesting how different products feel totally different in different hands.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Well i hit the range again on Sunday. Haggin is a mess as they update the range to mega fancy so the mats are on the infield grass.

Ditched the "tall" address and really focused on slow from the top. bottom of the pool slow, and it made a difference. No real loss of distance either. silly game

when the hook came back I could feel that I was fast and my right arm/elbow separated from my body early.

still think that the burners lack the feel of the MX200's but no new irons yet.

hoping to play on weekend, friday is out because of a funeral

ssssssssllllooooowwwwww was magical

Sac - I noticed that you are playing out of Haggin ?

IIRC, Leith Anderson (clubmaker) plays out of there as well - He has a standing offer for anyone to join him for a round every week. One helluva clubmaker, smart guy - know him ?

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

Nic, that's interesting, I'm completely the opposite. I played the NV in my driver for a bit and I hated it. I didn't think it had much "feel," just extremely boardy. On the other hand, I really liked the Voodoo when I demo'd it. It feels extremely lively, even in the stiff flex, but yet it doesn't perform like a noodle - nice mid/low trajectory. Interesting how different products feel totally different in different hands.

It just be the feel of the Voodoo that puts me off. I have given up trying to figure it out. I only know that I have to test whatever I an gonna buy, or the results will not be good.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

when you are hitting the face of the club on the toe, the ball should hook if you are releasing the club properly. Standing closer to the ball will encourage the sole of the club to contact the ground TOE first. This should cause the ball to go right. Bending the club upright will only exacerbate the hooking flight. It sounds like you are coming across the ball from out to in with a closed clubface, a recipe for the lefts. How tall are you?

In my GolfTEC lesson, one of the things that the instructor pointed out was that I shouldn't be addressing the ball without the toe of my iron at least pointing up a little. He had me carry my hands lower at address, which effectively did just that. Do you agree with that? Just curious to get your opinion from a fitters point of view.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Yeah, same here. I've found all the NV shafts very board like for their flex - even the NVS. Just not the shafts for me. On the other hand, the Mitsubishi Diamana series which has been making its way into a lot of clubs lately seems to work pretty well.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Yeah, same here. I've found all the NV shafts very board like for their flex - even the NVS. Just not the shafts for me. On the other hand, the Mitsubishi Diamana series which has been making its way into a lot of clubs lately seems to work pretty well.

I think Mitsubishi makes some very nice shafts, but you do need to pay attention to whether or not you're getting a true Whiteboard/Blueboard/etc or if you're getting a "made for" shaft. If you like the way it performs, I guess it doesn't really matter, but it is something to consider.

I think Mitsubishi makes some very nice shafts, but you do need to pay attention to whether or not you're getting a true Whiteboard/Blueboard/etc or if you're getting a "made for" shaft. If you like the way it performs, I guess it doesn't really matter, but it is something to consider.

Good point. The Launcher DST Cleveland just sent me for review says "Mitsubishi Rayon design for Cleveland Golf". I assume that is what you are referring to?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Good point. The Launcher DST Cleveland just sent me for review says "Mitsubishi Rayon design for Cleveland Golf". I assume that is what you are referring to?

Yup. Similar to the Matrix shafts in the Adams Fast 10's, the Mitsubishis in the original Nike Sasquatch's...plenty of examples.

More importantly, how can I get companies to send me free clubs?

Yup. Similar to the Matrix shafts in the Adams Fast 10's, the Mitsubishis in the original Nike Sasquatch's...plenty of examples.

More importantly, how can I get companies to send me free clubs?

Titleist does that with the VooDoo and the Whiteboard too.

In my GolfTEC lesson, one of the things that the instructor pointed out was that I shouldn't be addressing the ball without the toe of my iron at least pointing up a little. He had me carry my hands lower at address, which effectively did just that. Do you agree with that? Just curious to get your opinion from a fitters point of view.

I am more concerned with position at impact, and ball flight, than position at address. In the old days, toe a little in the air was how we fit for lie angle. Toe up at address was to allow a little toe droop during the swing. We now use a little more sophisticated technology for lie angle fitting....

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

I am more concerned with position at impact, and ball flight, than position at address. In the old days, toe a little in the air was how we fit for lie angle. Toe up at address was to allow a little toe droop during the swing. We now use a little more sophisticated technology for lie angle fitting....

That is exactly what he said - toe up at address would result in a level club at impact due to the toe droop. So you validated what he said. Iron shots certainly felt more flush after making that small adjustment.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

That is exactly what he said - toe up at address would result in a level club at impact due to the toe droop. So you validated what he said. Iron shots certainly felt more flush after making that small adjustment.

What I can say is that in a perfect world, A slight toe up at address position will come back to a perfect sole contact position at impact. In the REAL world, this is not always the case. People have a tendency to manipulate their swings, and I have seen some doozies. Always check for flight first, then tape marks. Now, If your instructor has some other reason for having you drop your hands, then everything I have said is moot.

• 10 months later...

My question has to do with a shaft for my driver. I have a Nike Victory Red tour driver with a project x 6.0 shaft. I have used launch moniters and other tools but not sure what shaft would fit. I have a swing speed between 110 and 120mph. Launch angle around 17 degrees and ball spin around 3200rpms. My problem is that i tend to balloon the ball. I was wondering if there is a better shaft for me, to help me hit the ball lower and have a more penatrating ball flight.

Thanks for any help

My question has to do with a shaft for my driver. I have a Nike Victory Red tour driver with a project x 6.0 shaft. I have used launch moniters and other tools but not sure what shaft would fit. I have a swing speed between 110 and 120mph. Launch angle around 17 degrees and ball spin around 3200rpms. My problem is that i tend to balloon the ball. I was wondering if there is a better shaft for me, to help me hit the ball lower and have a more penatrating ball flight.

Thanks for any help

Hi, and welcome. There has to be a better fit for you, as these LM #'s are no good. Too high LA, and too much spin. As you probably already know, a lot of shaft fitting has to do with tempo, desired ballflight, player tendencies, and other factors. There is no was that I can make a recommendation for you based on such limited info. A lower spinning and stiffer shaft might do the trick.....

Yes i know the numbers are not good. The problem I have is where I live. In a small town in central pennsylvania. Not to many places around that have enough equipment and different shafts for me to try and use. Or I dont know of any. Normally with my irons i play a medium to high flight draw, but can keep the ball low if I have to. Most of the time I leave the driver in the bag due to the ballooning and a chance of losing it right. I was at Dicks the other day and they didnt have any shaft in stock to help, even the manager of the golf section let me hit his driver which had an x stiff shaft, i still had high launch angle and spin. If anybody knows of a place around that i could go that would be great. I would have no problem driving somewhere as long as it was within 2 or 3 hours.

Thanks

What is the loft of your current driver??

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am trying to paint a picture in my mind of what is happening when you hit shots, as it will help me recommend a shaft or 2. Do you have a budget for this reshaft?? are you married to this head?? Would you consider a new driver if it gave you better launch conditions???

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am trying to paint a picture in my mind of what is happening when you hit shots, as it will help me recommend a shaft or 2. Do you have a budget for this reshaft?? are you married to this head?? Would you consider a new driver if it gave you better launch conditions???

The questions are fine and if they can maybe get me some help i would answer as many as needed. No budget. I like the feel of the driver but i would have no problem switching drivers if it would help.

I will add some more info, not sure if this will help but, I am 6'2" have a smooth swing, not quick and jerky. I normally shoot between 75-80. With all my other clubs i prefer to draw the ball but can work it either way. But the driver i cant do much with. So i normally leave the driver in the bag.

The questions are fine and if they can maybe get me some help i would answer as many as needed. No budget. I like the feel of the driver but i would have no problem switching drivers if it would help.

I will add some more info, not sure if this will help but, I am 6'2" have a smooth swing, not quick and jerky. I normally shoot between 75-80. With all my other clubs i prefer to draw the ball but can work it either way. But the driver i cant do much with. So i normally leave the driver in the bag.

Cool. The thing is, you can spend a FORTUNE chasing the right shaft around (experience speaking here..) and never find it. There are a ton of really good options out there. It sounds like you need something a little stiffer in the tip, and perhaps a touch stiffer than a stock S. You might be a candidate for tipping your current shaft if you like the feel, and seeing what the LM #'s are...

Other possible options for reshafts are

1.) Diamana WhiteBoard in Stiff in the 60-70g range, depending on personal preference

2.) UST AxivCore Green in Stiff- same recommendation based on preference

3.) Graffaloy Blue?? discontinued-but really good at killing spin.

4.) Fubuki Tour 73 in X-stiff. This shaft is a great shaft for smoother swingers, ans does a really good job at reducing LA and Spin #'s.

I have tons of other options if you need more. The most important thing to do is find someone that has a decent driver fitting system with lots of shafts, and go test them out. The Nike 360 fitting system is really good, and comes with several shaft options.

Go to this link and enter your zip, and Nike will let you know who is close to you that has 360 fitting.

Hope this helps

N.

Cool. The thing is, you can spend a FORTUNE chasing the right shaft around (experience speaking here..) and never find it. There are a ton of really good options out there. It sounds like you need something a little stiffer in the tip, and perhaps a touch stiffer than a stock S. You might be a candidate for tipping your current shaft if you like the feel, and seeing what the LM #'s are...

Other possible options for reshafts are

1.) Diamana WhiteBoard in Stiff in the 60-70g range, depending on personal preference

2.) UST AxivCore Green in Stiff- same recommendation based on preference

3.) Graffaloy Blue?? discontinued-but really good at killing spin.

4.) Fubuki Tour 73 in X-stiff. This shaft is a great shaft for smoother swingers, ans does a really good job at reducing LA and Spin #'s.

I have tons of other options if you need more. The most important thing to do is find someone that has a decent driver fitting system with lots of shafts, and go test them out. The Nike 360 fitting system is really good, and comes with several shaft options.

Go to this link and enter your zip, and Nike will let you know who is close to you that has 360 fitting.

Hope this helps

N.

Thank you very much, I put in my zip and found a fitting within an hour. I will let you know how I make out.

Thank you very much, I put in my zip and found a fitting within an hour. I will let you know how I make out.

Cool. Good Luck!!

• 2 months later...

Another shaft idea for you, which won't break the budget and the manufacturer is closing out on eBay? A Talamonti PD 70 in x flex. Phil is a good dude and it's a very comparable shaft to a whiteboard (I have both and there's very little difference in launch numbers in the same head). He intentionally limited distribution of them and is selling them on the bay for $25-$30 plus shipping. They play a tad soft to flex, but you can easily ask a question including swing speed, etc, and he'll give you his recommendations on tipping or leaving untipped. Seriously, try one before dropping the coin on a Whiteboard. I have a sneaky suspicion that you'd be pleasantly surprised.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 weeks later...

I just came back from my first real fitting where I actually paid money for a 2 to 2.5 hour session.  I was really disappointed with the driver fitting which I told him was my primary focus.  I had no issues with the irons fitting but that's the area of my game I am the happiest.  Since I'm new to this, I'm wondering if I was expecting too much?  

My fitter is an authorized dealer for Aldila and UST (from his website) so I was quite surprised how none of the shaft options that I wanted to try were available.  I was looking for high launch low spin options.  I was hoping to try maybe the axivcore blue or black, V2 high launch, RIP gamma, or maybe the attas.  He didn't even know about the RIP line. 

Ok fine, he would have some other shafts that would be higher launching and lower spin than my motore F3 60g I thought.  I ended up trying 2 brands of shafts, SK and Wishon (He had some Alidia but he didn't offer me any to try).  I'm sure they are good shafts but it didn't seems like he had many real high launch options.  I also wanted to see if heavier shafts would be better for me so he gave me a ~80g shaft.  Too heavy for me, slower swing speeds by about 2-3 mph.  I then asked if he had any options for me near the 70g range but he could not or did not give me one.  

At the end, he told me I was hitting my driver as wells as any of his driver shaft options.  He told me to try to fix my casting motion which is the primary cause of my driving issues.  He also told me shorter shaft could lessen the effects from the casting so he told me to choke up on my driver.  

I basically got what was wrong with my swing instead of the driver & shaft options that could help save my swing flaws.  If I get lucky, I go out 2-3 times a month. If I had the time and wanted to take lessons to fix my actual swing, I would have done that already.  I would love to hear from people who had more experience from fittings.

He's a bad fitter first of all. Sounds like he was pushing his margins instead of caring about properly fitting you. For curiosity's sake, how did you find him?

Oh and for reference, a high launch low spin shaft doesn't exist.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

He's a bad fitter first of all. Sounds like he was pushing his margins instead of caring about properly fitting you. For curiosity's sake, how did you find him?

Oh and for reference, a high launch low spin shaft doesn't exist.

He was mentioned in WRX for my area. He wasn't as highly touted as Wade Heintzelman in the area but the few who tried him recommended him. His website looked like he knew what he was doing also. Pricing also was a factor. His fitting for both irons and driver cost less than just the driver fitting with Heintzelman but then again I feel like I got fitted for irons only.

He seems like he is almost exclusively a wishon guy. Thus irons fitting went fine which has much smaller pool of shaft options. I was getting slightly better dispersion with his irons set than mine but I'm not interested in investing money on new irons.

Where he failed for me is shaft options for Drivers. I tried 3 of his and I liked mine the best and I don't think that's the best option for me.

And yes, I am aware that there is no such thing as high launch low spin shafts. I think there are shafts that are higher launch shafts that spin less than other high launch shafts. I wanted to try those types of shafts. If you have any recommendation for these types of shafts I would appreciate it.

I do like the feel of my current shaft, motore f3 60 but not getting enough launch angle (low 10s). It feels much more livelier than ping tfc stock shafts I used before. I think the term people use is loading the shaft? I can accelerate the driver much easier with the motore shaft. I've read that it is similar to the blueboard?

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/420473-motore-speeder-vc-71-vs-f3-70-and-f1-75/

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/364087-diamana-white-board-vs-fujikura-motore-f3-x-flexs/

If it were me, I'd go up in loft some, to a 10.5 or an 11 even. Then bring it back down to optimal with a lower launching, lower spinning shaft. I've never liked the Motore, it feels whippy to me at impact. That said, you like the feel so that's all that matters. If you like that shaft but need more LA, use that shaft and go up in loft with the same head.

The Blueboard has similar characteristics, but it's more stable for me. It's a great shaft, IMO. Have one in a 9.5 SasQuatch Tour still and love it. Great combo.

I listed a bunch of low launch low spin shafts in the other thread. Want a good, cheap one to try that's very similar to a Whiteboard? Talamonti PD. Phil is selling them on eBay currently for $25-$30 each, which you can't beat with a comparable shaft.

Having your numbers from the recent fitting, though, would really help.

As for finding a fitter, listen to golfers in your area and see who has the most buzz. Never, IMO, go to a guy that is affiliated with a certain component company. Hell, I'm a certified Wishon distributor too, but I don't push their stuff. I can get it at cost, but unless it's a golfer that wants cheap, quality clubs, I rarely recommend them. Why wouldn't I if I'm a certified distributor? Because there are more readily available options and I'm not buying demos for the Wishons, as good as they are.

In The Bag

I have one for you nic :)

I'm currently gaming a 10.5* driver and was thinking about switching to 9.5*

1 degree sounds like nothing, so how do you decide which loft to take? Is it completely based on SS? Would I gain more distance with a 9.5*?

My current driver:

Cobra S2 Driver clone 10.5*

TEAM DAIWA Procarbo MC HM90 stiff

This is the only data I got from the shaft manufacturer in Japan:

Torque: R, SR, S 5.1

CPM: R 270

SR 280

S 290

Weight: R 74g

SR 76g

S 77.5g

Kickpoint: middle

I don't know my SS (will attend a demo day next weekend).

Carry distance varies... on the driving range it's really difficult to read since the last marker stops at around 220 yards, but on our home course Hole 1 Par 4 (282 yards straight) I can get it on the green off the tee.

Another question:

A few months ago, when I was still fighting my slice, I decided to buy a high lofted driver head (see if more backspin could reduce side spin) so I went for the TM Superfast clone in 12.5*

Is it normal to play this loft with my carry distance? Perhaps with a low-launch shaft?

Thanks!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I have one for you nic :)

I'm currently gaming a 10.5* driver and was thinking about switching to 9.5*

1 degree sounds like nothing, so how do you decide which loft to take? Is it completely based on SS? Would I gain more distance with a 9.5*?

My current driver:

Cobra S2 Driver clone 10.5*

TEAM DAIWA Procarbo MC HM90 stiff

This is the only data I got from the shaft manufacturer in Japan:

Torque: R, SR, S 5.1

CPM: R 270

SR 280

S 290

Weight: R 74g

SR 76g

S 77.5g

Kickpoint: middle

I don't know my SS (will attend a demo day next weekend).

Carry distance varies... on the driving range it's really difficult to read since the last marker stops at around 220 yards, but on our home course Hole 1 Par 4 (282 yards straight) I can get it on the green off the tee.

Another question:

A few months ago, when I was still fighting my slice, I decided to buy a high lofted driver head (see if more backspin could reduce side spin) so I went for the TM Superfast clone in 12.5*

Is it normal to play this loft with my carry distance? Perhaps with a low-launch shaft?

Thanks!

I'm not Nic, but I'm willing to bet he's going to want more than just swingspeed. Things like backspin RPM, launch angle, sidespin RPM, etc. It's more of a science than just going off of swingspeed. Sure, that gives you a baseline from where to begin at lofts, as there are baseline lofts for swingspeeds, but there are factors that go into if it'll actually work, such as angle of attack, etc. Your static loft, really, means nothing, it's what the loft is at impact, which can be arrived at from swingspeed and launch angle, and a few other factors, that is critical. If you have a -4 degree angle of attack (meaning the club is descending at impact) and hit balls with a set loft then change that angle of attack to +4 (meaning the club is ascending at impact), that set loft with the -4 angle of attack is going to launch vastly different than the same club with a +4 angle of attack, even at the same swingspeed. Sure, people can sit and say that a set loft is optimal for a set swingspeed, but it's a disservice to the person purchasing the club to just give them that information without knowing all of their numbers, angle of attack, etc.

In The Bag

It's OK Rookie, you can help me too! :D

If you need all that info, then I guess I'll have to go to a fitting first. The reason why I haven't been to one is there aren't many fitters in the area. But I think I might catch a demo day this upcoming weekend.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT