TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fitting Questions?????

So I went through an extensive driver fitting today.  As I thought..actually worse than I thought...On trackman my current setup was generating over 5500 rpm of spin...whoa.  Ended up getting fit into a Callaway Rogue Sub Zero, Evenflow Black X flex at 45 inches.  The Trackman numbers are Clubhead 115.7, Ball speed 173.7, launch 11.5, spin 1678 all for 298.2 Carry, 329.3 total distance.  Worked out I thinkPART_1525127927209_20180430_142727.jpg?d

• 2 weeks later...

Im pulling the cash out for new clubs. Most likeky 716 AP1. Loved them when I hit them. Always played standard and kind of wanted to do a fitting. Lets says if they fit me for drastic changes, will I go through a learning curve if sorts besise adjusting to distances?

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Im pulling the cash out for new clubs. Most likeky 716 AP1. Loved them when I hit them. Always played standard and kind of wanted to do a fitting. Lets says if they fit me for drastic changes, will I go through a learning curve if sorts besise adjusting to distances?

You were fit based on your swing, so there shouldn't be changes there. But based on weight changes , shaft performance, and how the club feels it may take you a little Time to get used to the new set

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I am puzzle why I am able to hit the ball best using Taylormade Rac 7 os graphit ultralight soft tip irons with golf pride medium grips.

Any ideas why?

Because the clubs are perfect for you. Why even consider getting fit?

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I have an MP-18 (full blade) iron set.

I would love if Mizuno made a 50-degree gap wedge in this iron set but they don't.

If I buy a 46-degree pitching wedge, is it a good idea to adjust the loft 4-5 degree to effectively turn the pitching wedge into a gap wedge?

I think the effective bounce of the newly bent gap wedge will be higher than the pitching wedge, but will this be an issue?

I understand there's a risk of breaking the iron head but I am not too worried about that.

What else should I be thinking about if I do this?

I'm buying a new set of irons (srixon 565). I was fit for plus a half inch. Unfortunately, Srixon is out of PW and 9 iron heads and won't be making anymore with the release of the new 585 (that I'm not really interested in). So, I can't order a custom set from Srixon.

My question..... Is adding a half inch extension to a set of stock clubs the same as getting a custom length from the manufacturer or does it jack up the swing weight and kick point?

Thanks!

Roll Tide

• 1 month later...

I have a Ping G400 SFT.

I had 3 upcharge options.

They tested me and said to put in a Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi Stiff shaft. I bought the driver at a PGA Super Store. I hit it and the SFT does do what it says. Ball mostly goes straight but not enough yardage for 95-102 swing speed. I think the driver has to much spin. I should have taken the Project X HZRDUS Yellow stiff, yes? Do you have suggestions for a low spin, lighter shaft? The Ping head is heavy compared to other top brands.

Thanks!

I have a Ping G400 SFT.

They tested me and said to put in a Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi Stiff shaft. I bought the driver at a PGA Super Store. I hit it and the SFT does do what it says. Ball mostly goes straight but not enough yardage for 95-102 swing speed. I think the driver has to much spin. I should have taken the Project X HZRDUS Yellow stiff, yes? Do you have suggestions for a low spin, lighter shaft? The Ping head is heavy compared to other top brands.

Thanks!

Mitsubishi CK Tensi Orange

Aldila Rouge Black

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I have a Ping G400 SFT.

Thanks!

What were your numbers with the 3 shafts?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mmmmmmbuddy,

I have been playing golf for 40+ years.

I'm a 14 handicap and have been fitted many times.

I find that I strike the ball a bit toward the toe.

This happens no matter how I address the ball (eg. if I address the ball toward the heel).

Is there any clubfitting method that takes this (hitting toward the toe) into consideration.

Thanka!

Mmmmmmbuddy,

I have been playing golf for 40+ years.

I'm a 14 handicap and have been fitted many times.

I find that I strike the ball a bit toward the toe.

This happens no matter how I address the ball (eg. if I address the ball toward the heel).

Is there any clubfitting method that takes this (hitting toward the toe) into consideration.

Thanka!

I know you didn't ask me but I think either one of two things are happening:

Number 1: Your clubs are too short. If they were longer you might be able to keep your swing and setup the way it is, and the extra length may get the head farther away from your body.

Number 2 (and what I think needs to happen):

Change your setup. You don't need to line up on the heel. If you only line up on the heel and don't stand closer to the ball, your swing mechanics will automatically bring the club back into the spot where you normally make contact. What I think you need to do is, stand a little closer to the ball. This should eliminate the toe strikes.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

So I went through an extensive driver fitting today. As I thought..actually worse than I thought...On trackman my current setup was generating over 5500 rpm of spin...whoa. Ended up getting fit into a Callaway Rogue Sub Zero, Evenflow Black X flex at 45 inches. The Trackman numbers are Clubhead 115.7, Ball speed 173.7, launch 11.5, spin 1678 all for 298.2 Carry, 329.3 total distance. Worked out I thinkPART_1525127927209_20180430_142727.jpg?d

There are some clubs that just don't work no matter how we like them. 5500 spin in a Driver= not good. Glad you found something that works for you.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I have an MP-18 (full blade) iron set.

I would love if Mizuno made a 50-degree gap wedge in this iron set but they don't.

If I buy a 46-degree pitching wedge, is it a good idea to adjust the loft 4-5 degree to effectively turn the pitching wedge into a gap wedge?

I think the effective bounce of the newly bent gap wedge will be higher than the pitching wedge, but will this be an issue?

I understand there's a risk of breaking the iron head but I am not too worried about that.

What else should I be thinking about if I do this?

The bounce will change the same amount of degrees as the loft. Unless you do it yourself, it will be hard to find anyone that would bend a club that much. 5 degrees is a lot of bend, When you bend metal, you actually need to bend it past where you want it to be, so when the metal retracts it stays at the desired bend so this will need to bend around 9 degrees initial to get it to stay in the 5 degree range. I wouldn't try it. There are so many good wedges out there, I don't think rhisbhomemade 50° wedge will compare to any of them. Good luck if you try this, I'll be interested to see if this works out for you.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

So I shot my first 90 yesterday and decided I need new irons. My current gamers are Taylormade RAC CGB with a regular flex graphite shaft. My typical miss with these irons is a strong fade to the right (for some reason I have a problem leaving the face open). I have usually struggled with my irons, but have started to hit them more consistently. The problem is that I shortened and slowed down my swing in order to do so. Even with that being said, I still consistently hit my 7-iron 150 to 160 yards. 

I went to Golf Galaxy and tried several of their irons and even took my old 7-iron in to compare. Once I got on their GC Quad launch monitor, I was severely disappointed. According to the LM, my swing speed ranged from 48 to 72 mph with the 7-iron. In addition, even after hitting my iron flush, it would only travel about 130 to 140 yards. While my swing is a work in progress, I just don't feel that the LM was even remotely close to accurate or consistent.

Because of this, the employee tried to squeeze me into a Senior-flex shaft. It just did not feel good at all. The only iron that felt good when I swung was the Taylormade M4, and I believe that was largely due to him adjusting it 2* flat. Because of that single adjustment, I felt I made better, more consistent contact with the ball. My best hit with the M4 went over 160 yards and was only slightly offline to the right. I know the distance is largely due to a difference in lofts (32* vs 28.5*) and not much else.

Additional information is that I am 5'6" with a WTF of about 32 1/4". I am improving my swing, but am looking for new irons to help/grow into. I guess I just wanted to get your opinions on going to Galaxy to find clubs. Is the GC Quad really that inaccurate?

Driver:          :cobra-small: F7 with Fujikura regular flex shaft

Fairway:        :callaway-small: XHot

Hybrid:          :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL

Irons:            :taylormade-small: RAC CGB with regular flex graphite shafts

Wedges:      52-degree Bombtech Golf wedge

56-degree  :titelist-small: Vokey SM-6 M-Grind

60-degree  :taylormade-small: Speedblade

Putter:          :odyssey-small: O-Works 2-ball

Handicap: 25.8

Here would be my question.

If you found the right shaft for someone and the one they were using to fit was standard length ...... lets say the fitting showed that shaft length should be -1".

What would be the most obvious tweaks to the setup so that the shorter shaft would perform consistently with the one used for fitting ????

Thank you !!!

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

FW: Adams XTD Speedline 3W

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams and Callaway  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Callaway CF19 (4-P)   /   CF16 (4-AW)  /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)   /   Tommy Armour 845s (3-W)

WEDGES: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56 ES  /   Cleveland CG14 50*, 56*    /  Smartsole  56*   /  RTX4 56*  /   NIKE VR 56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / couple of Odyssey No. 2's

BALLS:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

Not sure if this is the right thread, but anyone recommend a fitter in Mass?

Not sure how far you are from Rhode Island but Spargo Golf does a great job but you have to ask for Mr. Spargo to do your fitting. If not you get a kid who isn't nearly as good. It is about 10 minutes from the airport in Warwick.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Here would be my question.

If you found the right shaft for someone and the one they were using to fit was standard length ...... lets say the fitting showed that shaft length should be -1".

What would be the most obvious tweaks to the setup so that the shorter shaft would perform consistently with the one used for fitting ????

Thank you !!!

Add headweight to keep swing weight where it was in the fitting and potentially adjust lie angles

Add headweight to keep swing weight where it was in the fitting and potentially adjust lie angles

Thanks.

I hear a lot of "soft step" talk and didn't know if there was a rule of thumb per x, y, or z cut or added length.

Cobra never could get the weight where it should be when they cut mine.  

Thus I was curious.

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

FW: Adams XTD Speedline 3W

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams and Callaway  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Callaway CF19 (4-P)   /   CF16 (4-AW)  /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)   /   Tommy Armour 845s (3-W)

WEDGES: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56 ES  /   Cleveland CG14 50*, 56*    /  Smartsole  56*   /  RTX4 56*  /   NIKE VR 56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / couple of Odyssey No. 2's

BALLS:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

Thanks.

I hear a lot of "soft step" talk and didn't know if there was a rule of thumb per x, y, or z cut or added length.

Cobra never could get the weight where it should be when they cut mine.

Thus I was curious.

When I purchased my cobra one lengths I wanted them a half inch shorter and they couldn't tell me if they would adjust swing weight or lie angles accordingly. With that in mind I just got the stock set up fearing they would be all out of whack.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Not sure how far you are from Rhode Island but Spargo Golf does a great job but you have to ask for Mr. Spargo to do your fitting. If not you get a kid who isn't nearly as good. It is about 10 minutes from the airport in Warwick.

Thanks - I have some family friends spread from Providence to Newport. Next time we head down maybe I'll see if I can check it out.

There is a True Spec opening near Boston soon. I'd go there in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't know anything about True Spec but I certainly trust your recommendation enough to try it if I can't get to Spargo before it opens.

EDIT: Looks like True Spec is open in Boston already and is about 10 minutes from my office. I'll definitely be checking them out soon. Do you have any experience ordering clubs through them? Previous experiences had a markup on the clubs compared to buying them elsewhere, wondering if that's true at all fitters.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

• 4 months later...

Any MD/Central PA people have any recommendations for a fitter? Looking to get fit for a new set of irons and all I have around me are big box stores. I know there's a Club Champion in MD but that's all I know of. 

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

24 minutes ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

Any MD/Central PA people have any recommendations for a fitter? Looking to get fit for a new set of irons and all I have around me are big box stores. I know there's a Club Champion in MD but that's all I know of. 

If you're down for the drive, I had a very good experience at Night Hawk in Crofton, MD.  Outdoor fittings with a Trackman and a very knowledgeable fitter. They have a lot of brands too. Lots of other stuff at the center too so you could really spend the whole day there if you want. 

http://www.nighthawkgolfcenter.com/

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

If you're down for the drive, I had a very good experience at Night Hawk in Crofton, MD.  Outdoor fittings with a Trackman and a very knowledgeable fitter. They have a lot of brands too. Lots of other stuff at the center too so you could really spend the whole day there if you want. 

http://www.nighthawkgolfcenter.com/

Just looked on their site. Was it Brandon Johnson? That's not a bad drive for me. Just under an hour and a half down 83.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

9 minutes ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

Just looked on their site. Was it Brandon Johnson? That's not a bad drive for me. Just under an hour and a half down 83.

Yes it was Brandon. He’s the only fitter at nighthawk and is really good. Also doesn’t push one brand over others

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 1 month later...

First of all - thank you for the opportunity to ask questions!

I'm a 15 handicapper and really like the Mizuno 919Tours even though traditional fitters will probably instantly tell me that this is not the right club for me because of my handicap.

So the question is - how do you handle someone who is coming in, looking for clubs that are "out of his league"? Are you trying to get them into buying a different club directly or do you try to stick with the head the customer wants and adjust around that?

Cheers mate!