TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fitting Questions?????

I'm not Nic, but I'm willing to bet he's going to want more than just swingspeed. Things like backspin RPM, launch angle, sidespin RPM, etc. It's more of a science than just going off of swingspeed. Sure, that gives you a baseline from where to begin at lofts, as there are baseline lofts for swingspeeds, but there are factors that go into if it'll actually work, such as angle of attack, etc. Your static loft, really, means nothing, it's what the loft is at impact, which can be arrived at from swingspeed and launch angle, and a few other factors, that is critical. If you have a -4 degree angle of attack (meaning the club is descending at impact) and hit balls with a set loft then change that angle of attack to +4 (meaning the club is ascending at impact), that set loft with the -4 angle of attack is going to launch vastly different than the same club with a +4 angle of attack, even at the same swingspeed. Sure, people can sit and say that a set loft is optimal for a set swingspeed, but it's a disservice to the person purchasing the club to just give them that information without knowing all of their numbers, angle of attack, etc.

What he said....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

If it were me, I'd go up in loft some, to a 10.5 or an 11 even. Then bring it back down to optimal with a lower launching, lower spinning shaft. I've never liked the Motore, it feels whippy to me at impact. That said, you like the feel so that's all that matters. If you like that shaft but need more LA, use that shaft and go up in loft with the same head.

The Blueboard has similar characteristics, but it's more stable for me. It's a great shaft, IMO. Have one in a 9.5 SasQuatch Tour still and love it. Great combo.

I have a major descending angle of attack for drivers, thus I already use a 12 degree driver. I didn't realize my local range has ping, titlist, and TM fitting carts. I tried quite a bit of shafts with even higher lofted g15 head today (13.5). Tried AD DI 6, axivcore red 69, oban devotion 6, attas 6 and blueboard 63 all in stiff. I thought 12 was high enough but apparently not? I think I hit as well or better with the 13.5 head except with the DI 6. Two best results came with the axivcore and devotion. I was very happy with the axivcore. When I go after one, it usually results in low hooks. With the axivcore, it became straight or soft draws. I'm going to try these two combos again just to see if this was just a one day occurrence. I plan on verifying this soon also. I have a free 30 minute fitting session at this range later this month.

I also agree with you regarding the blueboard. More stable than the F3. I need to try out even more shafts.

Having your numbers from the recent fitting, though, would really help.

Because of the bad hooks with my current driver, I slowed down my swing quite a bit about a month before the fitting. Given the result I got today with the axivcore and oban, I don't think I have to go with that "safer" swing. The one that I brought to the fitting was about 3-5MPH lower than usual with opposite flight path so it won't be too useful I think.

I expressed my disappointment to the fitter and he wants to discuss this when I pick up a re-shaft of an older driver to lady flex (how embarrassing that I might be using a higher lofted driver than my Mom soon...doh!). Since he couldn't find me any driver/shaft options, I'm going to ask for a set of new driver LM numbers with my usual swing and see what he says.

As for finding a fitter, listen to golfers in your area and see who has the most buzz. Never, IMO, go to a guy that is affiliated with a certain component company. Hell, I'm a certified Wishon distributor too, but I don't push their stuff. I can get it at cost, but unless it's a golfer that wants cheap, quality clubs, I rarely recommend them. Why wouldn't I if I'm a certified distributor? Because there are more readily available options and I'm not buying demos for the Wishons, as good as they are.

Yeah, I think I learned this the hard way. His website does state he is an authorized dealer for UST and Aldila. Unfortunately, he is replacing his UST and Aldila line with SK fiber. He thinks SK fiber is as good or better especially for the price...oh well. It seems like I'm doing a better job finding a right driver than an actual fitter...sigh.

• 1 month later...

Nic,

What is your preference for a launch monitor. I absolutely love Trackman and the Flightscope X-2. However, I have to drive at least 2 hours to get on the damn Trackman and they demand $100/hr for full info. I blew a couple of large a few years ago with a Wishon fitter that had a Zelocity, so I learned my lesson with discount monitors. We have a couple of Opti-Shot systems in the area, but I question their accuracy.

Nic,

What is your preference for a launch monitor. I absolutely love Trackman and the Flightscope X-2. However, I have to drive at least 2 hours to get on the damn Trackman and they demand $100/hr for full info. I blew a couple of large a few years ago with a Wishon fitter that had a Zelocity, so I learned my lesson with discount monitors. We have a couple of Opti-Shot systems in the area, but I question their accuracy.

We use the Flightscope in our shop, and so far, the numbers are good. In the past we have used Zelocity, and Vector. Flightscope is the better of the 3. In a perfect world, We would have several Trackman monitors, but since we never charge for fitting, we can't afford $30000 a whack.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Trackman>Flightscope>everything else, to be honest. There are others that are viable, but not as accurate, IMO, and you'd better take your own clubs before getting fit to establish a baseline with.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

We use the Flightscope in our shop, and so far, the numbers are good. In the past we have used Zelocity, and Vector. Flightscope is the better of the 3. In a perfect world, We would have several Trackman monitors, but since we never charge for fitting, we can't afford $30000 a whack.

The Flightscope X-2 is virtually the equal of the Trackman for about a third the price (11K). I have been on Mike Jacob's unit down on Long Island, and it is almost indistinguishable from the Trackman, and does not have the heavy monthly support requirements.

IMHO not charging for a fitting is not good business. I EXPECT to be charged for a useful service, and I think it cheapens the concept in the eyes of a customer. You can always waive fitting fees for those who buy clubs.

IMHO not charging for a fitting is not good business. I EXPECT to be charged for a useful service, and I think it cheapens the concept in the eyes of a customer. You can always waive fitting fees for those who buy clubs.

This has been the policy at our store for 35+ years. We didn't charge for fitting before launch monitors, and we don't charge now. (although we have discussed the positive and negatives of both sides.) I won't come out and give my opinions on the issue, but I do have strong feelings about it.

• 10 months later...

Alright well I'm bringing this thread back because I am curious about fittings.

First question I have is I have my driver, that is 8.5 degree, with a V2 High Launch X-Flex shaft. My swing speed is 115-125 but pretty smooth. Working to smooth it out a little more but I always feel comfortable with my swing. I just hate how the club feels. I was at the PGA Superstore this past week and they said my launch angle was something like 18 and spin was insanely high.

My irons, I just found out the flex today and they were bought off the rack, are uniflex. My iron swing is slower and very smooth but I feel like I can never control my shots. I don't feel confidant hitting my irons.

What are some early opinions you see. I'm going to D'Lance Golf here in Englewood, CO to be fitted soon hopefully.

Thanks for your response if you see the thread come back.

First question I have is I have my driver, that is 8.5 degree, with a V2 High Launch X-Flex shaft. My swing speed is 115-125 but pretty smooth. Working to smooth it out a little more but I always feel comfortable with my swing. I just hate how the club feels. I was at the PGA Superstore this past week and they said my launch angle was something like 18 and spin was insanely high.

My irons, I just found out the flex today and they were bought off the rack, are uniflex. My iron swing is slower and very smooth but I feel like I can never control my shots. I don't feel confidant hitting my irons.

What are some early opinions you see. I'm going to D'Lance Golf here in Englewood, CO to be fitted soon hopefully.

You are right, your arrows do not fit the Indian. With that kind of SS, your launch angle should be way below 18, probably in the 10-12 range. I thouhgt a couple of claims on their website were a little bogus, just about everything they said about the fitting process and what they are trying to achieve is spot on. You appear to be in good hands.

A couple of thoughts for you to consider. Since you can generate all the distance you want, consider a shorter than off-the-rack lenght for your driver. Tour average is about 44.5 inches. Also, see if they have a driver with a Harrison Shotmaker or a Balanced-Certified Accurizer. I am sure the fitter will know what you are talking about.

I suspect your swing is not one compatible with the uniflex concept. I hit some and while the short irons were fine, the dispersion for 6 and lower got a little wide. Again, if the budget is not an issue, the Aeroflex Steel Fiber is worth investigating if you can find the right combination. If the budget is an issue, focus on the driver and wedges, and accept good quality steel shafts for your irons.

Finally, I saw that the fitter you referenced is sponsoring a Trackman day. I strongly urge you to do whatever you have to do (i.e. buy the significant other some jewelry, tell your boss you have a bad case of ebola, if someone dies skip the funeral) and get on that Trackman. What it will tell you about your swing is worth it's weight in gold. You will need to google Trackman and follow some discussion boards about the various numbers to really comprehend what you are seeing, bit it is time well spent.

Thanks a lot man. Ya I saw the Trackman day is coming up and I'm going to try as hard as possible to be there. I really need all the help I can get.

Getting fitted of a driver shaft could possible have me buy a new driver head which isn't a bad thing since I'm still using a Nike 460 Tour.

Hitting an 8.5* at 18* LA with really high spin usually means steep descending angle of attack. This is a great thing in irons, death in drivers. Without seeing you hit a few shots, I would have a difficult time coming to a recommendation for a proper shaft.. It seems to me that if the launch numbers that you gave us are right, you could be looking at some pretty extreme possibilities. It will be interesting to see how your fit ends up...

good luck

N.

I'm not advocating a major swing overhaul... I'm just pointing out that your launch condition is substantially out of the norm, and fixing it with equipment "can" be done.. it just might be a little weird.

Take a look at the "HIGH LAUNCH" x flex. even if the flex is mega stiff the profile of shaft can certainly change the way the ball comes off the club. v2 HL is a tip flexible shaft that adds well launch and spin. I'm guessing when you put a tighter shaft say an AXIV black or VTS tourspx xflex black too stay in the UST company would be a great choice

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

• 9 months later...

I am currently using a Rife Aussie putter at 34". I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. When I'm comfortable with my set up, I'm holding the putter at the bottom of the grip, almost to the shaft.

I think I'd like to cut it down to 32". My question is: can I do that without needing to add the weight I cut off, back? Also, if I just get it re-shafted with a shorter shaft, will the weight be right?

Hi there. Shortening a putter, or any club for that matter, will require you to add weight to the head to retain the same swing weight. How much weight is something that I would have to ask the repair shop guru. ( I should see him in a few days). Hope this helps.

Here is a link to the Rifle Q&A where they give the weight and loft of the Aussie putter >> http://www.rifeputters.com/faq/

Weight ~ 335g

Loft 1.5*

Yes swing weight will change extending or cutting down the shaft.

~ Subtracting 1/2” in length decreases 3 swingweight points.

~ 2 grams is approximately 1 swingweight point in the head end of the club.

~ 5 grams is approximately 1 swingweight point in the grip end of the club.

So reducing it by 2" to keep the same swing weight you would have this roughly:

~ 12 points less then originally.

~ assuming no component changes then you need to add 24 grams of weight to the head to keep the same swing weight.

To really be able to do this properly you need to pull the shaft clean the hosel from epoxy and have the component weights of each piece of the club. If the head starts at 335g then adding 25g would put it up to 360g.

If I recall correctly Scotty Cameron Newport 2 follow the following scheme:

~330g @ 35", ~ 340g @ 34", ~350g @ 33" so it would be ~360g @ 32"

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Well that depends on if you want the swing weight permanently put into the head or temporary put onto the head.

I have a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 that weighed in at 332g, my builder put in 8g of tip weight bringing it up to 340g roughly, then I added 5 rubber tungsten weights to the cavity (3 across the back where Titleist is stamped and 2 on the bottom one on each side of the line in the bottom cavity) to add another 10g of weight to the head. In the end I added 18g of weight to the head to bring it up to 350g, anymore then that it would take more then tip weights and rubber tungsten weights as I'm almost out of room on the head to put weight.

I would probably recommend letting a professional figure out how to get the swing weight you are after espesually with the amount of weight you roughly need to add.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Have you tried talking to a fitter, to maybe get you in a driver shaft that will match your swing better, I talked to a titelist fitter, and he thought I would be better served with a heavier shaft, with low torque, based on my swing speed, and move from the top. It may not be your swing at all, considering that you hit your other clubs straight, it doesn't seem that your swing would be the issue. Just something I was thinking about as I read the thread.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 1 year later...

As a fitter, I prefer to use face tape and a marker to determine lie angle. It provides a more realistic and more accurate test compared to a traditional lie board. High speed photography has shown that lie boards can give incorrect data.

Also, I am very cautious when it comes to choosing a lie angle based solely upon the ball flight direction. Achieving proper turf interaction almost always produces better, more consistent results in the long term.

• 2 months later...

Good question. At my facility, we fit outside on a driving range. I have used several methods, but the most reliable seems to be a combo of lie tape and flight. If I give my guy a club that he is marking on the heel, but the flight is spot on, then we go with it. I could care less if the mark is in the center of the club, if the shots are 30 yards offline. Isn't that the reason we fit??

I love that fact that you fit at an outdoor practice range. Seeing the ball flight is crucial whenever making adjustments to your equipment. I think that this is the most important thing that goes overlooked when club fitting. especially by the box stores. 

post-54443-0-07055700-1406684950.jpg

• 11 months later...

My wrist to floor is 35", so in theory I should add a 1/4". The guy fitting me said that little is kind of pointless and they should just bend my irons up 1 degree. Should I go back and have them add the 1/4" or is it really just a waste or time? 

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

Actually the WTF is in relation to height, how tall are you. Also a quarter inch is half a degree, not a full degree. 1/2" equals a full degree

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Actually the WTF is in relation to height, how tall are you. Also a quarter inch is half a degree, not a full degree. 1/2" equals a full degree

I'm about 6'2", WTF was 35", got the lie from hitting balls with face tape and a marker. This was just at the local Edwin Watts store. 

if we are using the Ping fitting system (They are really the only company that utilizes WTF), then the results are slightly skewed. The RSi2's that you are hitting are slightly more upright that Ping I25 irons (.5°) Using the static measurements, I would only bend your RSi's .5° up, and extend them .5".. 

The truth is in the results. If you are missing the sweet spot more on the toe, or thin, I would most certainly extend them. If you are happy with the contact, and your set up and posture, don't mess with them.

if we are using the Ping fitting system (They are really the only company that utilizes WTF), then the results are slightly skewed. The RSi2's that you are hitting are slightly more upright that Ping I25 irons (.5°) Using the static measurements, I would only bend your RSi's .5° up, and extend them .5".. 

The truth is in the results. If you are missing the sweet spot more on the toe, or thin, I would most certainly extend them. If you are happy with the contact, and your set up and posture, don't mess with them.

I miss right more often than not with my irons, so I'd just started aiming left half of the green and hitting middle to right half.  I figured my lie had to play a part in that. I'm not sure I have a consistent spot I miss on the face. I think I hit my irons fairly solid, I haven't been thin in awhile. I can think of a few off the toe last round but they must have just been barely off as the shots still ended up pretty good.  The marker and tape showed I was hitting the "line" on the ball at an angle. I'm going to the range tomorrow after work so I guess we'll see how they do. 

I appreciate your input, fitting is kind of a fickle beast. I bought the irons from them so they'll do it but they don't seem to want or know how to put much time and effort into it as I'd like. Or maybe it is that easy. Who knows.

I'm about 6'2", WTF was 35", got the lie from hitting balls with face tape and a marker. This was just at the local Edwin Watts store.

Standard length is correct for 6'2" with a 35" wtf. Id go 1/2 degree up and hit some balls and see what the ball flight looks like while checking lie with the sole tape and checking where you're hitting the ball at in the face with face tape

In The Bag

Standard length is correct for 6'2" with a 35" wtf. Id go 1/2 degree up and hit some balls and see what the ball flight looks like while checking lie with the sole tape and checking where you're hitting the ball at in the face with face tape

Awesome, I'll try that out tomorrow. I'll be annoyed if I have to keep going back to have them change things that they should have figured out in the first place. Seems like everything was rushed, but I guess I can expect that from a "free" (even though I bought nice clubs) fitting.