MmmmmmBuddy

Fitting Questions?????

First of all - thank you for the opportunity to ask questions!

I'm a 15 handicapper and really like the Mizuno 919Tours even though traditional fitters will probably instantly tell me that this is not the right club for me because of my handicap.

So the question is - how do you handle someone who is coming in, looking for clubs that are "out of his league"? Are you trying to get them into buying a different club directly or do you try to stick with the head the customer wants and adjust around that?

Cheers mate!

First of all, those clubs may not be out of your league, at all.  Yes, they're not as forgiving as "game improvement" clubs, but that doesn't mean that you can't strike them well.  I know a lot of 15 handicap players that strike their irons very well, but can't chip and putt.

Go to your fitter and hit the club.  You and he will both know soon enough if that's not the right club for you.

Question for you fitters or knowledgeable folks with driver specs.   Is a 9 degree driver set up more open than a 10.5?  

17 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Question for you fitters or knowledgeable folks with driver specs.   Is a 9 degree driver set up more open than a 10.5?  

Not if the driver is at it's natural loft. The only time the face angle changes, is if you loft it up or down with the hosel. If you buy a 9 and a 10.5, the face angles should be the same, but if change the loft, the face angle will be different. 

• Like 3

Did you adjust the loft via adjustability or stock 9 vs stock 10?

From adjustability perspective adding loft generally closes the face. But this will be influenced by hovering or grounding the club at setup.

Stock lofts are based on how the OEM designed the club. Could be the same, open, or closed.
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Did you adjust the loft via adjustability or stock 9 vs stock 10?

From adjustability perspective adding loft generally closes the face. But this will be influenced by hovering or grounding the club at setup.

Stock lofts are based on how the OEM designed the club. Could be the same, open, or closed.

I was curious if two drivers with different lofts with out adjustment would show a difference in face angle

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 6:27 AM, Nek said:

I'm a 15 handicapper and really like the Mizuno 919Tours even though traditional fitters will probably instantly tell me that this is not the right club for me because of my handicap.

So the question is - how do you handle someone who is coming in, looking for clubs that are "out of his league"? Are you trying to get them into buying a different club directly or do you try to stick with the head the customer wants and adjust around that?

Cheers mate!

Don't let your handicap be the only driving factor in why you choose an iron. Handicap golfers carry handicaps for a myriad of different reasons. Further, you're going to hit most of your strokes with your driver/wedges/putter during your round. Everyone wants to obsess about irons but neglects the fact that we hardly use them during a round (in comparison). I was an 11 when I got my 900 Tours, playing to a 9 now. I'm still the same decent ball striker I was when I was an 11, I'm just having more success on the tee box. When my putting comes around, hopefully I can shave another 2 off the ol' index.

Get fit, make sure you and your fitter are happy with the numbers that the clubs are giving you. Forgiveness is a "hot" topic trigger word that people like to throw around. I can ensure you that hitting the hosel/toe of ANY club whether it's blade or a chunky cavity back, will result in a nearly-identical shot. For me personally, my misses come up a few yards short, and I'm totally okay with that. I'd rather be short than sailing greens because I'm playing some spin-killing distance bats, but some people need that!

10 hours ago, ole gray said:

9 hours ago, ole gray said:

I was curious if two drivers with different lofts with out adjustment would show a difference in face angle

I think this is subjective. For me, the more loft I see, the more it looks "open" -- because I'm seeing loft and my brain thinks that's open-ness. Today at my Flash fitting, that looked significantly more "open" than my TS2, but probably because they're 1* apart in loft (TS2 is a 9.5, Flash was a 10.5)

• Like 2

On 3/12/2019 at 12:27 PM, Nek said:

Cheers mate!

Handicaps come in forms. Some golfers struggle with short game/putting but hit irons and woods well.  Others may have at least a good short game but may give up strokes off the tee or with longer irons and so on.

let the numbers determine if a club fits. Golf is about finding ways to enjoy it. Find a club that you like the looks of, makes you want to go play and practice. 

• Like 1

What he said ^^

It really depends on the player. Some players may be great ball strikers but horrendous at putting. Some may struggle with the driver but are fantastic with an iron in their hand. So for club fitters it is an evaluation of the situation. At that point we decide which is the best option for the consumer moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwoodfield said:

It really depends on the player. Some players may be great ball strikers but horrendous at putting. Some may struggle with the driver but are fantastic with an iron in their hand. So for club fitters it is an evaluation of the situation. At that point we decide which is the best option for the consumer moving forward.

Sounds like you are a club fitter? Is that correct.

Personally and based on my experience my fitter never decides what's "best" for me. I do. What my fitter does however, is help me decide by presenting options. I make the final decisions. Has my fitter preferred a certain club setup over another? Yes. But he never makes my decision for me. After all, I'm the one paying and playing.

Perhaps a fitter might make the call for a beginner but even then he should never decide for the customer.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Sounds like you are a club fitter? Is that correct.

Personally and based on my experience my fitter never decides what's "best" for me. I do. What my fitter does however, is help me decide by presenting options. I make the final decisions. Has my fitter preferred a certain club setup over another? Yes. But he never makes my decision for me. After all, I'm the one paying and playing.

Perhaps a fitter might make the call for a beginner but even then he should never decide for the customer.

Amen to this!

A good fitting should include a few options and not a single one....

Okay..... I'm not very savvy when it comes to the technical side of golf.

I'm seriously thinking about getting fit for a driver. What numbers should I be looking for as far as launch angle, spin and dispersion.... as a general rule? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I'm seriously thinking about getting fit for a driver. What numbers should I be looking for as far as launch angle, spin and dispersion.... as a general rule? 

I don't think there is a general rule, it all depends on what you present to the golf ball at impact. For me personally, I don't hit up on the ball very much, and have pretty low dynamic loft at impact, so I need a little bit of spin or I hit low line drives that roll out 40 yards. 

Watch some of the TXG fitting videos (don't watch the ones with @matt416 as a test subject unless you also hit the ball a mile) and you'll get an idea of some fitting principles, and learn the right questions to ask your fitter.

• Like 2

Will vary based on swing speed and angle of attack. In general I would say 14* launch, 2300 spin, and as small of a dispersion as possible.
  • Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, silver & black said:

most fitters using a launch monitor will show you the optimal numbers, assume best case scenario, then give you best number generated via initial testing then move to parts that should get you from part A to Part B and best that can be accomplished.

• Like 1