TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fitting Questions?????

First of all, those clubs may not be out of your league, at all.  Yes, they're not as forgiving as "game improvement" clubs, but that doesn't mean that you can't strike them well.  I know a lot of 15 handicap players that strike their irons very well, but can't chip and putt.

Go to your fitter and hit the club.  You and he will both know soon enough if that's not the right club for you.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Question for you fitters or knowledgeable folks with driver specs.   Is a 9 degree driver set up more open than a 10.5?  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

17 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Question for you fitters or knowledgeable folks with driver specs.   Is a 9 degree driver set up more open than a 10.5?  

Not if the driver is at it's natural loft. The only time the face angle changes, is if you loft it up or down with the hosel. If you buy a 9 and a 10.5, the face angles should be the same, but if change the loft, the face angle will be different. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Did you adjust the loft via adjustability or stock 9 vs stock 10?

From adjustability perspective adding loft generally closes the face. But this will be influenced by hovering or grounding the club at setup.

Stock lofts are based on how the OEM designed the club. Could be the same, open, or closed.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

45 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Did you adjust the loft via adjustability or stock 9 vs stock 10?

From adjustability perspective adding loft generally closes the face. But this will be influenced by hovering or grounding the club at setup.

Stock lofts are based on how the OEM designed the club. Could be the same, open, or closed.

I was curious if two drivers with different lofts with out adjustment would show a difference in face angle

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

On 3/12/2019 at 6:27 AM, Nek said:

First of all - thank you for the opportunity to ask questions!

I'm a 15 handicapper and really like the Mizuno 919Tours even though traditional fitters will probably instantly tell me that this is not the right club for me because of my handicap.

So the question is - how do you handle someone who is coming in, looking for clubs that are "out of his league"? Are you trying to get them into buying a different club directly or do you try to stick with the head the customer wants and adjust around that?

Cheers mate!

Don't let your handicap be the only driving factor in why you choose an iron. Handicap golfers carry handicaps for a myriad of different reasons. Further, you're going to hit most of your strokes with your driver/wedges/putter during your round. Everyone wants to obsess about irons but neglects the fact that we hardly use them during a round (in comparison). I was an 11 when I got my 900 Tours, playing to a 9 now. I'm still the same decent ball striker I was when I was an 11, I'm just having more success on the tee box. When my putting comes around, hopefully I can shave another 2 off the ol' index.

Get fit, make sure you and your fitter are happy with the numbers that the clubs are giving you. Forgiveness is a "hot" topic trigger word that people like to throw around. I can ensure you that hitting the hosel/toe of ANY club whether it's blade or a chunky cavity back, will result in a nearly-identical shot. For me personally, my misses come up a few yards short, and I'm totally okay with that. I'd rather be short than sailing greens because I'm playing some spin-killing distance bats, but some people need that!

10 hours ago, ole gray said:

9 hours ago, ole gray said:

I was curious if two drivers with different lofts with out adjustment would show a difference in face angle

I think this is subjective. For me, the more loft I see, the more it looks "open" -- because I'm seeing loft and my brain thinks that's open-ness. Today at my Flash fitting, that looked significantly more "open" than my TS2, but probably because they're 1* apart in loft (TS2 is a 9.5, Flash was a 10.5)

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

On 3/12/2019 at 12:27 PM, Nek said:

First of all - thank you for the opportunity to ask questions!

I'm a 15 handicapper and really like the Mizuno 919Tours even though traditional fitters will probably instantly tell me that this is not the right club for me because of my handicap.

So the question is - how do you handle someone who is coming in, looking for clubs that are "out of his league"? Are you trying to get them into buying a different club directly or do you try to stick with the head the customer wants and adjust around that?

Cheers mate!

Handicaps come in forms. Some golfers struggle with short game/putting but hit irons and woods well.  Others may have at least a good short game but may give up strokes off the tee or with longer irons and so on.

let the numbers determine if a club fits. Golf is about finding ways to enjoy it. Find a club that you like the looks of, makes you want to go play and practice. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...

What he said ^^

It really depends on the player. Some players may be great ball strikers but horrendous at putting. Some may struggle with the driver but are fantastic with an iron in their hand. So for club fitters it is an evaluation of the situation. At that point we decide which is the best option for the consumer moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

1 hour ago, Kwoodfield said:

It really depends on the player. Some players may be great ball strikers but horrendous at putting. Some may struggle with the driver but are fantastic with an iron in their hand. So for club fitters it is an evaluation of the situation. At that point we decide which is the best option for the consumer moving forward.

Sounds like you are a club fitter? Is that correct.

Personally and based on my experience my fitter never decides what's "best" for me. I do. What my fitter does however, is help me decide by presenting options. I make the final decisions. Has my fitter preferred a certain club setup over another? Yes. But he never makes my decision for me. After all, I'm the one paying and playing.

Perhaps a fitter might make the call for a beginner but even then he should never decide for the customer.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

46 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Sounds like you are a club fitter? Is that correct.

Personally and based on my experience my fitter never decides what's "best" for me. I do. What my fitter does however, is help me decide by presenting options. I make the final decisions. Has my fitter preferred a certain club setup over another? Yes. But he never makes my decision for me. After all, I'm the one paying and playing.

Perhaps a fitter might make the call for a beginner but even then he should never decide for the customer.

Amen to this!

A good fitting should include a few options and not a single one....

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

11 minutes ago, silver & black said:

Okay..... I'm not very savvy when it comes to the technical side of golf.

I'm seriously thinking about getting fit for a driver. What numbers should I be looking for as far as launch angle, spin and dispersion.... as a general rule? 

I don't think there is a general rule, it all depends on what you present to the golf ball at impact. For me personally, I don't hit up on the ball very much, and have pretty low dynamic loft at impact, so I need a little bit of spin or I hit low line drives that roll out 40 yards. 

Watch some of the TXG fitting videos (don't watch the ones with @matt416 as a test subject unless you also hit the ball a mile) and you'll get an idea of some fitting principles, and learn the right questions to ask your fitter.

I'm seriously thinking about getting fit for a driver. What numbers should I be looking for as far as launch angle, spin and dispersion.... as a general rule? 

Will vary based on swing speed and angle of attack. In general I would say 14* launch, 2300 spin, and as small of a dispersion as possible.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, silver & black said:

most fitters using a launch monitor will show you the optimal numbers, assume best case scenario, then give you best number generated via initial testing then move to parts that should get you from part A to Part B and best that can be accomplished.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

• 1 month later...

This isn't aimed directly at OP, but I had to hear my fellow spies' opinions on something that I've been thinking about lately...

Once you're fit into an iron shaft, are heads generally interchangeable? The downside of living in Hawaii is that there are no "true" fully-custom fitters (if you can even call that a downside), so at best I'm going to get an OEM fitting which hasn't worked out too terribly for me since my JPX 900 Tour testing. I was fit into a shaft that I like the feel of, and have pretty good success with MOST OF THE TIME. The reality is that I need a little more help from 4i-7i. I don't quite have the consistency or ballspeed for such a blade-like iron.

My thought is this: if I had gone for a combo set, wouldn't they have likely stuck me in the same shaft anyways? Could playing this shaft in something like a 919 Forged be a completely horrible fit? I just don't want to cough up the $100 to get back on the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer for it to spit out the same recommendation. Nothing in my swing has changed in the last 2 years. Interested to hear your thoughts, thanks braddahs 🤙

7 hours ago, yungkory said:

This isn't aimed directly at OP, but I had to hear my fellow spies' opinions on something that I've been thinking about lately...

Once you're fit into an iron shaft, are heads generally interchangeable? The downside of living in Hawaii is that there are no "true" fully-custom fitters (if you can even call that a downside), so at best I'm going to get an OEM fitting which hasn't worked out too terribly for me since my JPX 900 Tour testing. I was fit into a shaft that I like the feel of, and have pretty good success with MOST OF THE TIME. The reality is that I need a little more help from 4i-7i. I don't quite have the consistency or ballspeed for such a blade-like iron.

My thought is this: if I had gone for a combo set, wouldn't they have likely stuck me in the same shaft anyways? Could playing this shaft in something like a 919 Forged be a completely horrible fit? I just don't want to cough up the $100 to get back on the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer for it to spit out the same recommendation. Nothing in my swing has changed in the last 2 years. Interested to hear your thoughts, thanks braddahs 🤙

I'm curious about this as well. I've been thinking about going to get an iron fitting this fall (local shop usually runs a deal where some of your fitting cost is refunded as a gift card), just to get a chance to hit a bunch of different shafts. I've been contemplating building up a set of Maltby PTMs, but the shaft choice has been something I'm unsure about.

Like you, I know I get along "OK" with the KBS Tour 90s in my C300s, so I'm thinking I'd love to try the Tour 105s, and regular Tours just to see how the additional weight affects my swing. But, I've never really hit anything by Nippon, nothing but Dynalites from True Temper, and I'm definitely intrigued by some of the graphite offerings like Steelfibers.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

8 hours ago, yungkory said:

Within the same manufacturer or their lineup yes there would normally be no issue with same shaft. 

In my experience when going between manufacturers it may not be interchangeable. I played the kbs $ taper in a titleist cb/mb set. Also no issue with them in ap2.

in both a tm fitting with the p790 and pxg fitting for the 0311t the kbs tour didn’t not work. Even the Nippon modus 120 that I have used in the p790 and Srixon didn’t work in pxg for me.

in a titleist fitting and pxg fitting the px6.0 was a shaft that worked in both. In titleist the amt s300 was a better feel with same numbers do I went that route at the time.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I just don't want to cough up the $100 to get back on the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer for it to spit out the same

In theory the mizuno shaft optimizer should give you the same result unless you have changed something in your swing. It is an entire club that measures specific swing characteristics and based on those numbers gives you a recommendation.

The application to different heads would vary based on variables like head weight and weight distribution of the club.

In my case i did a club champion fitting, did a mizuno shaft optimizer a year later and both recommended KBS Tours. I got Wilson C300 forged irons with that shaft and hit them well. I now have mizuno 765s and hit them better than the C300s. If i went to a fitting again, it would definitely use that shaft as a starting point.

In theory the mizuno shaft optimizer should give you the same result unless you have changed something in your swing. It is an entire club that measures specific swing characteristics and based on those numbers gives you a recommendation.

The application to different heads would vary based on variables like head weight and weight distribution of the club.

In my case i did a club champion fitting, did a mizuno shaft optimizer a year later and both recommended KBS Tours. I got Wilson C300 forged irons with that shaft and hit them well. I now have mizuno 765s and hit them better than the C300s. If i went to a fitting again, it would definitely use that shaft as a starting point.

Using the Mizuno shaft optimizer changed everything for me. I went from a Senior stock graphite shaft to a much heavier graphite regular shaft. Distance approximately the same but dispersion improved dramatically.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Here's a possibly dumb question... are club specs (length, loft, lie, etc.) going to be pretty much the same no matter the club, or potentially different club to club?

Specifically asking for putters, but curious about irons/drivers as well. Thanks!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

13 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Here's a possibly dumb question... are club specs (length, loft, lie, etc.) going to be pretty much the same no matter the club, or potentially different club to club?

Specifically asking for putters, but curious about irons/drivers as well. Thanks!

There are no standards in golf and that goes for with offerings from the same brand