Sign in to follow this  
Middler

Cracked Driver - Happy Ending

Posted (edited)

I don’t know if this will help anyone else, but FWIW.

Exec Summary: My 1-1/2 yr old Callaway Rogue driver developed a hairline crack, every drive felt like mishit though distance seemed normal. But Golf Galaxy (I didn’t buy the club from them, bought in another state 700 miles away) called Callaway, and they’re replacing the head no charge, will take about 2 weeks. Yay.

If you want more info: Whether a good or bad drive, gradually every strike felt off center, I assumed I was just missing center. It happened very gradually, so I didn’t notice. My drives were so bad last week, I went to driving range to figure out why? Still felt awful, and I accidentally noticed a long but tiny hairline crack on the crown, about 1-1/4” long about 3/8” behind the top of the face approx from hosel to center. It was under the glossy finish, so I thought it might just be molded that way. If I hadn’t been in bright sun, I’d never have seen it.

I decided to practice with my Rogue 3W, which I don’t hit often, and noticed it felt markedly more solid! Hmmmm.

So I took the driver to GG and they agreed it was a crack, I even asked them to hit with it to make sure - but they said ‘no, it’s a crack and it will only get worse.’

So where I was disappointed and wondering ‘what’s this going to cost me’ - I was pleasantly surprised. Faith restored.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 3

It seems most of these top end companies are quick to remedy issues like this - many at no cost to the user.  That's really cool when you think about.

• Like 1

My epic cracked on the bottom earlier this year. I called Callaway myself and they replaced it with a Callaway epic flash. Like FYD said, most of the big name companies will take care of it, my buddies TM cracked and they did the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Callaway is awesome when it comes to customer service.

A few years back I had a RAZR Fit I bought new on clearance, maybe my 3rd time with it on the course I hit the ball FAT. Like, half a mile behind the ball. I was so steep the shaft actually broke up near the handle. 

I hit them up on Twitter to see if I could get a replacement shaft, one phone call later and I had a brand new Big Bertha on my doorstep. They were amazing, and went above & beyond. 

• Like 2

TM was the same for me when I caved in the head of my M5 2 months after I bought it. A bit less than 2 weeks later I had a new club.

• Like 1