TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver shaft recomendations?

Super Tuna

I believe I've mentioned before that I find the fitting process a bit annoying. 5 fitters all with trackman's some how come up with 8 wildly different results and suggestions. Before I go back for another go I wouldn't mind narrowing down the options a bit from the start so as to not waste time. Thus I'm wondering if anyone has any shaft suggestions I could try out.

Speed is about 105, dips to 103 with a high of 110. I can and will go after a ball at times

I do hit up on the ball but not hugely. Usually about 4 degrees

Faster then average transition. I've smoothed it out a lot with lessons but I still hit in the 6 to 7 range on the Mizuno shaft optimizer

The courses up here never have any roll out, 95% of distance is carry so I'm looking for that over roll out yardages

My experience says that I don't like super low (kills the feel) or high torque shafts (inconsistent results espcially when I go after it)

Thoughts?

The pro I'm taking lessons with has suggested I definately need to change the shaft out and perhaps up the loft as well for more carry, but he isn't a fitter so doesn't want to offer much more then that.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Super Tuna,

You could go a couple of different ways.. You could go with a driver head with more spin (supertri, Nike black)

If you are wanting to get a higher launch off your driver you could go with anything from a prolaunch blue x-stiff(this will give you all carry with a soft landing) or a UST tour Blue. Both of these have a high launch med spin set up. From these two shafts I would go with the UST

Just my opinion and we know what opinions are!!!!!

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

I would recommend the Aldila NVS. You can pick it up on closeout for $54.99 or if you don't mind playing it in pink it's only $16.99.

Pink is da shizzle! I would hit it!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

My average SS is around 110, med/quick tempo. I'd been using a stiff Diamana Blueboard-73 but recently had a Mitsubishi Bassara x-flex fitted with the Cobra adapter.

Three seperate trips to the range for extensive testing with the help of Trackman has consistently shown an average of 10 yds longer with the Bassara while the dispersion is similar between the two shafts. The Bassara is 1/4" longer in length but I don't think that alone is attributable to the distance gain.

Higher yet strong ballflight, great carry. I'll get it on the course for the first time tomorrow so we'll see if it translates to the real world. :)

I do. I have a pink NV in the driver and a pink NVS in the 3W. I figure why pay an extra $40 when you can get the same thing in pink. Plus I hit the ball long enough that it just makes the pink ironic.

I was being serious too! I like flashy gear (Clicgear 3.0 in kiwi, Callaway Bag in orange) so a pink shaft would only add to the rainbow! I'm used to pink polo-shirts as well xD

Besides... Bubba plays a pink shaft, why can't we? :P

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

More info please...

What is your current set-up?

What are your current LM #'s?

Are you planning on reshafting your current head, or buying a new club?

Is $$$ an issue?

Thanks

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Price point is just a marketing tool- that "it costs more, so it HAS to be better" mentality. The head design, loft and weight of the club have more to say on trajectory and spin than any golf shaft, regardless of how much it costs.

Tom Wishon, among a large group of others, developed a software system that systematically measures golf shafts and categorizes them. Similar to Maltby's Shaft Playability Factor and Hireko's Dynamic Shaft Fitting Index, just with a much bigger database. You want something like a Whiteboard, but don't want to pay that kind of money? No problem... crunch the numbers and you can find alternatives at differing pricepoints. Some people will claim a $300 shaft "feels" different than a $50 shaft, but:

A ) the club head's design, the grip, and the total weight/swing weight of the club have more say on "feel" and performance than any shaft, and

B ) actual "feel" is subjective, at its best. What "feels" whippy to you may not to me, and vice versa. That's why "feel" is so often used/abused in ad campaigns... it can't be quantified, so any claims made can't be brought to litigation for false advertisement.

That's why you've gotten so many different options... there are no "true" answers. There's what you like, what you're willing to spend, and so forth. Some fitters have "go to" shafts that are their personal favs; they've had success with them in the past. Doesn't make them right or wrong- it is what it is. They trust those models.

First off, determine a budget. I don't care if it's $20, $50, $100, or $1,234,567. You WILL find something at each pricepoint that will work for you. Let the fitter know what you've told us... with luck, you'll get to deal with a Wishon fitter (if you see a fitter with only one shaft brand's banner, be wary), so that software can be used. Go to Wishon's website and do a fitter locator search. From there, STOP LOOKING. I think you've already confused yourself by doing all these other fittings. Remember to be as specific and honest with the fitter as you can... that will only help you. From there, you just have to hit-test what the fitter's recommended.

Nic:

910D2 with Kai'li in a stiff flex - 9.5

Ball Speed: 150 to 160

Launch Angle: 14

Spin: 3500rpm

Carry: 238ish

Decent Angle: 52

Justin:

I would agree in general but one of the fitters was Wishon certified and what they wanted me to use produced the worst results by far of anyone. I also don't see how fitters in general want to put me in radically different shafts with the same swing. How one comes with with using a Ahina while another wants an AXIV Blue? I get there aren't hard and fast answered out there but that's a pretty radical difference in opinion wouldn't you think?

I'm not for saying more cost is better or anything else. I get that isn't a factor to have the proper shaft. I also understand that certain shafts with certain characteristics sometimes cost more if you go with a brand name because you're paying for the name. Really, I don't care if the cost is $300 or $50 but I'm getting a bit fed up with the process of getting it fit and done. I know that's a bit petulant of me but I'm firmly embracing my right to be so in this one :lol:

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Nic:

I know that's a bit petulant of me but I'm firmly embracing my right to be so in this one :lol:

It's your game, so you have every right to be "petulant". That does kind of surprise me about the Wishon fitter, though... Shows that they all don't seem to be in the same loop, just like everyone other fitter.

It seems to me you're not launching the ball high enough with your driver, plus you're putting too much spin on it. 238 carry distance/150mph ball speed equates to about 100mph clubhead speed, give or take a couple MPH's. Ideal LA for that speed is 17*, with the ideal spin rate is 2,157rpms (I got those number's from "The Perfect Fit" by Jeff Sheets, if you're wondering. A pretty good fitting book, I think). But how do we get there from here?

I'm going to interrupt myself here to say that I think I understand why you were given those two varying shaft recommendations. The 'ahina is light (61g) with a high bend point; the thought being, the light weight would allow you to launch the ball higher (raise the effective loft of the driver head), with the high BP keeping spin in check. As for the Axiv Blue, it's a heavier shaft (69g) with a low BP; the low BP would increase the effective loft at impact, raising your LA, while the heavier weight would help keep spin down. Basically, they're trying to accomplish the same thing by opposite means.

My own personal feeling (take this for what it's worth) is, I agree with the person who fit you to the Axiv Blue. From what I've learned in my travels, loft is the primary means for affecting LA and spin. Doing something to increase a club's effective loft at impact is the second best choice after buying a new driver with a higher loft. Sometimes, things aren't practical economically. Switching to a low-BP shaft is that "workaround". It probably won't be perfect, but it'd be as close as one can get. So, I like the Axiv Blue as a possibility, or maybe the ProLaunch Blue w/Axis (it's 58g), True Ace Green Ghost (67g), ProForce V2 High Launch (65g) and (maybe) the Grafalloy Epic (70g). They're all low-BP shafts, with between 3.5 and 4 degrees of torque. I'm a little higher on the Axiv Blue, Green Ghost and Epic because of the heavier, but more than likely manageable, weight. Some of the experts claim (and I believe) heavier shafts reduce spin, but it still has to be light enough to not wreck your swing and/or tempo, so finding the right balance can be tough. You may be able to get away with something heavier than the Epic, but I can't say for sure.

Are these the "right" choices? I feel strongly about these, but this is being done without seeing you swing, so I can't (won't) in good faith make these set-in-stone "have to use these" options. They're just that... options.

Nic:

Ok.. This is what the fitter in me sees.... Decent SS to Ball speed #'s. Workable Launch Angle. Terrible Spin #'s and less than perfect decent angle.

I also play in the NW, where it is all carry, and work with the same type of Speed #'s. I feel that the 13-15* LA should be fine as long as the spin is not too high. I see that you are playing the 910 driver. I recommend finding a local Titleist account that has the Fitting cart with the all of the shafts, and try the Fubuki 63.

Titleist fitters in BC

info on Fubuki

The Fubuki is a pretty low spin option, while not being super low torque and maintaining a live feel.

Just my .02

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Justin:

Excellent info mate. I think I'm going to need to digest that for a bit but it seems to make sense. See? Why couldn't most of the fitters just have done that. You need a new profession sir. As I'm doing research on my on the Axis Blue is one that's come up a couple of times as something I should look at.

I do tend to like heavier shafts with my tempo. Lighter shafts throw my tempo office which is pretty much a set thing from hockey. I generally score a 7/10 on the Mizuno shaft optimizer.

Nic:

Typically I range in the 103 to 108 club speed depending on fatigue level.

An advanced Titleist fitter was actually the last place I went. They were indeed pretty good in their analysis but they didn't have the shafts they wanted me to use in stock to try. Their recommendation wwas the Fubuki Tour, Speeder VC 6 or Oban Kiyoshi as they would all have similair characteristics. Sadly none could pass the hit test. However I will see if anyone else has them around to try with another referal towards the Fubuki tour

Justin:

Excellent info mate. I think I'm going to need to digest that for a bit but it seems to make sense. See? Why couldn't most of the fitters just have done that. You need a new profession sir. As I'm doing research on my on the Axis Blue is one that's come up a couple of times as something I should look at.

I do tend to like heavier shafts with my tempo. Lighter shafts throw my tempo office which is pretty much a set thing from hockey. I generally score a 7/10 on the Mizuno shaft optimizer.

Nic:

Typically I range in the 103 to 108 club speed depending on fatigue level.

An advanced Titleist fitter was actually the last place I went. They were indeed pretty good in their analysis but they didn't have the shafts they wanted me to use in stock to try. Their recommendation wwas the Fubuki Tour, Speeder VC 6 or Oban Kiyoshi as they would all have similair characteristics. Sadly none could pass the hit test. However I will see if anyone else has them around to try with another referal towards the Fubuki tour

If you prefer the heavier shafts, consider the Fubuki 73... Just another option

• SPY VIP

Good point... I forgot about that one.

Just a guess, but given how similar me and the Tuna are, I suspect the Fubuki might not spin enough. I thought the Fubuki would be a good fit for me in my driver, but when the Callaway guys brought their fitting van to town, it turned out I was hitting the golf equivalent of knuckleballs with it. Better launch conditions, but not enough spin to stay airborne. The Fubuki does work much better in my 3 wood.

I agree that the V2 might be worth a look. I've never loved the feel of it, but the results in nearly everything I've tried it in have been excellent.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I'm not sure the launch characteristis are quite right with the Fubuki but it's certainly better then the Kai'li in the D2 and produced pretty good results in the R11 as well. Chopped the spin rate down to around 3300 which is getting close to the ideal for the 150 to 160 ball speed. I did find that the Kiyoshi in the D2 was too low in the spin (It was pretty sweet in the super fast head though). I think the V2 and DI-6 are going to be my next stops.

Aren't the new VST shafts from UST suppose to be their new version of the V2 but without the crappy feel? I have no idea when the release date for them is though.

Since we're scary close T, what is your weapon of choice shaft wise?

I've also got a 9064ls (DFS) head that's looking for a shaft so could do some cross compairison pretty easily.

• SPY VIP

I'm not sure the launch characteristis are quite right with the Fubuki but it's certainly better then the Kai'li in the D2 and produced pretty good results in the R11 as well. Chopped the spin rate down to around 3300 which is getting close to the ideal for the 150 to 160 ball speed. I did find that the Kiyoshi in the D2 was too low in the spin (It was pretty sweet in the super fast head though). I think the V2 and DI-6 are going to be my next stops.

Aren't the new VST shafts from UST suppose to be their new version of the V2 but without the crappy feel? I have no idea when the release date for them is though.

Since we're scary close T, what is your weapon of choice shaft wise?

I've also got a 9064ls (DFS) head that's looking for a shaft so could do some cross compairison pretty easily.

Now may not be the time for me to answer that. I've been getting extremely low launch angle readings lately (I was starting to think our simulators needed an adjustment or something), but out on the course today I discovered that I am actually hitting low screamers. They were actually great in the wind, but probably not where I'll want to be long term.

As for my 9064LS, it still has the stock RIP Gamma in it (with my "normal" swing the Alpha should be a better fit). I've got an ATTAS T2 kicking around that I'm going to drop in it very soon just to see what a $400 shaft feels like.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived