Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Why Tiger Woods Should Be Booed Mercilessly at Augusta

Moecat

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/657124-masters-scores-masters-live-streaming-and-todays-top-sports-news/entry/60315-the-masters-2011-why-tiger-woods-should-be-booed-mercilessly-at-augusta

By Rob Kelley (Correspondent) on April 7, 2011

The Masters has teed off for the best PGA Tour event of 2011, and for some reason that I cannot understand, Tiger Woods is the odds on favorite.

But I'm not sure what confuses me more, the fact that he is the favorite to win amongst oddsmakers and gamblers, or that he is still the favorite in so many people's hearts.

Can anyone explain to me why people continue to root for this man?

Is it because he is so friendly in the media and in public? Do you like watching those sour puss looks on his face all the time?

Do you love watching people put on a phony persona to try and clean up their image? he has one of the most see through fake smiles in the history of sports. I suppose we will start seeing him kiss more babies on the forehead as he continues to lose his golf game and public image. His approval rating is lower than Obama's and that is saying something.

Do you cheer for liars who cheat on their spouses? Is that "cool" nowadays? Is infidelity becoming "hip" in so many circles that it is now "in" to root for the bad guy?

I'm all for forgiving people who deserve it, but I do not put everybody into that second stage. That is why I will never find it in my heart to root for Michael Vick. Or Barry Bonds. Or Kobe Bryant.

Some people do not deserve to be cheered.

I know that Woods will never be booed during a tournament, especially the 2011 Masters. It is not proper golf etiquette to boo any player on tour. I understand that. But Woods should at least be treated like he treats others, and that is with extreme, arrogance, distaste and indifference.

Why should anyone root for someone who clearly does not deserve as much? And when did we become a nation of people who root for people such as Woods, Vick, Bryant and Bonds? The athletes who are in the news most often seem to have some of the greatest fan bases.

It even aggravates me to no end that many sports networks will only update what Woods does in major tournaments, and leave only his score up on their main screen.He is not the only player on the course, and he is certainly no longer one of the best.

If you want to root for someone this weekend, then put your support behind Phil Mickelson, a true family man who personifies what a professional golfer and athlete should embody. He takes care of his parents and wife and children, and has helped them battle through many difficult situations, unlike Woods, who has caused many difficult situations for his family.

Woods may be the odds on favorite to win the 2011 Masters, for those who clearly have not followed any of the action for well over a year. But not only should Mickelson be favored to win the 2011 Masters amongst gamblers and oddsmakers, but he should be the favorite of the fans as well.

I'm appalled (no, enraged) that this bum compares Tiger to Vick who tortured and killed dogs, Bonds who took illegal drugs to gain a competitive advantage, and Bryant who was "accused" of rape. Nothing he did was illegal; immoral sure, but he in no way should be compared to those other three. If you don't like him fine, but don't tell me that I am wrong for still routing for the guy.

I'm appalled (no, enraged) that this bum compares Tiger to Vick who tortured and killed dogs, Bonds who took illegal drugs to gain a competitive advantage, and Bryant who was "accused" of rape. Nothing he did was illegal; immoral sure, but he in no way should be compared to those other three. If you don't like him fine, but don't tell me that I am wrong for still routing for the guy.

agree

besides, I'm rooting for the winner in a golf tournament, not rooting for a role model to marry him

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Philly Mick is my favorite golfer. That being said, I'm rooting for Tiger to get his mojo back and start winning tournaments again, because I want to see one of the greatest golfers of all time do great times. I want to see Woods and Mickelson paired together on Sunday and duel it out on the best course in the world.

The relative "real-ness" of a man's smile is completely subjective and I don't flatter myself to think I can judge if Tiger's smile is fake or not. It enrages me to read this criticism of Woods, just as it bothers me when people say the same of Phil: "Oh, he's being fake. No one is really that nice." Um, you don't know him.

The author of this "article" is a complete sap and I'm embarrassed to share a favorite golfer with him. About what I expect to read on Blecher (no spelling error) Report, where the nitwits, cheap moralists and 9th-grade reading level morons of the internet post.

Rob Kelly, "correspondent." What a joke. Posted from his mom's basement.

The Germans are only dead, when the coffin is nailed shut

I root for Tiger for one reason: I've never known anything else. I literally grew up as a Tiger fan. When everything about his affairs came out, I told myself that I won't root for him. Or that I'd at least be level-headed, but that hasn't worked at all.

It's like that classic situation when two people have been together for a long time (dating, married, etc.), and they seem to not be able to break up because they literally don't know how not to be together. I think you get the point.

When you are a kid, not all of your decisions are rational, and those irrational decisions are very hard to undo in life because (by the definition of irrational) they are all emotional decisions. As a kid I conditioned myself for years to root for Tiger Woods and, to be honest, the last few years I've literally found it impossible not to.

Also I have to agree with everything else posted above me.

Just like Jamo, I started playing golf because of Tiger... Tiger = golf during my childhood/highschool!

It's impossible to deny the impact, influence he has brought to the game. I wonder if the PGA would have as many spectators if it wasn't for the Tiger-bandwagon?

Before I started playing golf, all I could say was "nice shot"

Now that I know the rules, play a little myself... it's another level of immersion and I am able to celebrate in a totally different way with his legendary shots!

Additionally, I want him to start winning all majors so prove the haters wrong.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I stopped being a fan long before his marital excursions. The guy is a jerk, hes rude to his fans, obscene, and a horrible role model. Hes been that way for years, but I would NEVER boo him on the course. Does he do amazing things with his clubs? Of course, but I would much rather watch Phil win.

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

I disagree that no one should or would ever be booed at any PGA event, let alone the Masters. It just wouldn't feel right if Boo Weekley wasn't booed.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I stopped being a fan long before his marital excursions. The guy is a jerk, hes rude to his fans, obscene, and a horrible role model. Hes been that way for years, but I would NEVER boo him on the course. Does he do amazing things with his clubs? Of course, but I would much rather watch Phil win.

I can respect this more for a reason not to root for him than the write qouted above.

There are so many great, friendly guys on the tour now, I find it hard not to pull for them, but still wanna see Tiger bring his game around. It's good for the sport, BUT, I am a huge Dustin Johnson fan, hard not to be!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Thats about how I feel about him,I wouldnt boo him but I wont cheer him either

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

Tiger made an incredible cut shot with an 8 iron to the green today that bought him a birdie and put him in the second to the last flight with KJ Choi for the third round. I found the short putt more tense than the cut shot, but the shot was more of a surprise than an expectation.

Shambles

I hate to say it, but I've never seen Tiger be rude to any fans at East Lake, Augusta or any other event I've attended. I've also gotten him to speak to me quite a few times at said courses. At East Lake a few years ago, it was the Friday round (excuse me for not remembering the year, I had drank several Miller Lites by the time we got there, while there, and afterward). He was wearing a lime green shirt, I do remember that. Anyway, on 9, he hits his drive and it comes to rest within 10 feet of where I was at the rope. He gets to his ball and decides on his shot (6 iron, and it was around 215 out, I was amazed at this firstly, and how I remember the club is Steve almost hit me with it when he pulled it, it was inches from my face as it came out of the bag). He hits a screaming low shot into the green that hits and trickled right, leaving him around 30 feet to the hole (he went on to hole the putt). I simply said, WOW, nice shot (cause I was amazed at the 6 getting there). He turns, looks directly at me, and says "Thanks, bud, I try to hit them all that crisp." I remember the words clear as day, and not much else, other than he holed the putt for eagle, and I followed Boo around for a little bit Booing at every opportunity. He's a cool dude too.

Same type of incident at Augusta, spoke to him, he acknowledged me, spoke something briefly and was cordial while doing it. Every time I've been that close and said something, he's always responded in a cordial manner. Dude is intensely focused and takes the time to speak to fans at times. I know others have said he's a douche, but the man on his bag, Stevie, is the only one that's ever been a douche that I've seen. Buddy of mine was 5 yards behind the ropes at an event, leaned over as Tiger was walking up to get a view (he was 15-20 yards past his ball and Tiger was no where near ready to hit, he had just walked up). Stevie says something to the effect of back your ass up, we're trying to play here. I just gave him an eat crap look, which he saw and glared in my direction (and again drunk) I muttered it's not like he's about to hit his shot, you've gotta mumble in his ear still about what you think which he'll shoot down most likely (to which Tiger got a chuckle, cause I'm 6' and around 175 of redneck that was working out some and looked lean and mean and had 3 beers in my hand, 2 of which I was drinking at the same time without sitting down, which is probably the reason for the chuckle) at the time and Stevie is like 5'10 and like 225 of muffin top (which I think I called him another time at East Lake and elicited a chuckle, I called Stevie something and Tiger chuckled, I remember that. I get drunk and carry on with all of the players to see if I can elicit a response, which almost got me kicked out of East Lake when I called Rory Sabbatini a Richard Head(slang for Richard there) because he told someone to move that was waaaaay outside the ropes.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I don't care enough about Tiger to boo or clap. Simple as that. He isn't why I golf, isn't why I watch. Yes, he's a douche for cheating on his wife and hurting his kids; he'll pay the piper just like everyone else does when it's time, but I'm not his piper.

great stories rookieblue!

I have heard an anecdote about Tiger being a real jerk to the owner of a coffee shop in Park City Utah, but I tend to give celebs a little latitude in their behaviour simply because when you are that famous, everyone you meet wants something from you and it must get tiresome. I think it's great if they can be gratious about it most of the time but I'm willing to forgive anyone a bad day.

Reading articles like this make me so angry. Its unappreciative Tiger haters like this that do nothing but make Golf look bad to people that do not know much about the game, or are new to it. Why would you even bother writing this? Instead of writing about Tiger's mishaps, how about you write about the millions of kids he has helped through his foundations and charity work. I'd really like to see journalists like this guy write about some of the good things in golf instead of beating a dead horse by bashing Tiger Woods. Quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing it.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

great stories rookieblue!

I have heard an anecdote about Tiger being a real jerk to the owner of a coffee shop in Park City Utah, but I tend to give celebs a little latitude in their behaviour simply because when you are that famous, everyone you meet wants something from you and it must get tiresome. I think it's great if they can be gratious about it most of the time but I'm willing to forgive anyone a bad day.

I agree with this statement. When I lived in Indianapolis the Lakers where in town to play the Pacers and I ran into Derek Fischer in the mall. I walked by and and said "hey, how ya doing, Fisch?" and just kept on walking, he never responded and that didn't bother me. An hour or so later, I was walking back the other way and I hear someone say "hey, dude". I turned around and it was Fisch and he said "sorry I was rude earlier, most of the time people are hounding me for pictures or autographs, so I just ignore them, because sometimes I just want to chill". We ended up standing there talking for a while and then he shook my hand and went on his way.

I agree with this statement. When I lived in Indianapolis the Lakers where in town to play the Pacers and I ran into Derek Fischer in the mall. I walked by and and said "hey, how ya doing, Fisch?" and just kept on walking, he never responded and that didn't bother me. An hour or so later, I was walking back the other way and I hear someone say "hey, dude". I turned around and it was Fisch and he said "sorry I was rude earlier, most of the time people are hounding me for pictures or autographs, so I just ignore them, because sometimes I just want to chill". We ended up standing there talking for a while and then he shook my hand and went on his way.

I can agree with what you say about celebrities after all they are human too. A friend of mine and I were playing in Charlotte some years go at a course when we were off work. A couple of gentlemen asked us to enjoy them and a few holes later we were playing a little $25 best ball match. The course was not crowded that day and we ended up playing 36 holes with those guys. At the end of the day we found out who they were. It was Larry Johnson and Mugsy Bowles players for the (then) Charlotte Hornets basketball team. They were surprised that me and my friend did not know who they were. We told them no offense but we did not keep up with basketball. They loved it. We ended up playing with them quite a few times. They really liked it playing with us because we did not pester them with questions etc. Larry told me that they really enjoyed our company and they got to be ordinary guys for a little while when playing golf with us. These two guys celebrity status aside were really great guys and just down to earth.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I can agree with what you say about celebrities after all they are human too. A friend of mine and I were playing in Charlotte some years go at a course when we were off work. A couple of gentlemen asked us to enjoy them and a few holes later we were playing a little $25 best ball match. The course was not crowded that day and we ended up playing 36 holes with those guys. At the end of the day we found out who they were. It was Larry Johnson and Mugsy Bowles players for the (then) Charlotte Hornets basketball team. They were surprised that me and my friend did not know who they were. We told them no offense but we did not keep up with basketball. They loved it. We ended up playing with them quite a few times. They really liked it playing with us because we did not pester them with questions etc. Larry told me that they really enjoyed our company and they got to be ordinary guys for a little while when playing golf with us. These two guys celebrity status aside were really great guys and just down to earth.

Larry Johnson? Hehehehe. Weren't you at least surprised to play with a guy over 7 feet and at least 110kg?

Larry Johnson? Hehehehe. Weren't you at least surprised to play with a guy over 7 feet and at least 110kg?

LJ was listed at 6'7, more like 6'5...making his long, productive career at power forward even more impressive. Of course it helps to be 265 and carved out of granite. Awesome story Big Stu. How did Mugsy and Larry shoot just out of curiousity?

• SPY VIP

LJ was listed at 6'7, more like 6'5...making his long, productive career at power forward even more impressive. Of course it helps to be 265 and carved out of granite. Awesome story Big Stu. How did Mugsy and Larry shoot just out of curiousity?

Met him when he was still at UNLV. Dude was a force...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

OK. Tiger made a MAJOR mistake in his life, but it isnt like any else of us havent made a mistake in our lives. Sexual affairs happen all the time, and this was just one more case of a tragic thing that happens too often. If you liked Tiger before, you should like him now. His decisions and actions may have disappointed greatly, but he is still the same person as before (and probably more mature as a result).

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

OK. Tiger made a MAJOR mistake in his life, but it isnt like any else of us havent made a mistake in our lives. Sexual affairs happen all the time, and this was just one more case of a tragic thing that happens too often. If you liked Tiger before, you should like him now. His decisions and actions may have disappointed greatly, but he is still the same person as before (and probably more mature as a result).

well said. the self righteous talk flying around this thread is sickening. the one thing we all have in common is our imperfect human nature, NONE of us are blameless or innocent, and so are in a poor position to judge the mistakes of others. if you don't like what the guy has done fine, if it disgusts you then fine, but don't piss on the right of others to draw their own conclusions and act accordingly.

Before I started playing golf 6-7 years ago, I did not even know who Tiger was, paid no attention. Now I don't even watch if Tiger is not playing. It's that excellence, or pursuit of it, that he brings. Love to see him play well. Brings the level of competition up. Just take this past week at the Masters - best yet, and Tiger made more exciting by making a run. Did he scare the others? You bet he did. Not as much as previous years but still there.

I don't care about his private life, it's called "private" for a reason; not my business. Pity those who make it theirs. Oh, and don't live in a glass house...

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

Mr. Rob Kelley grow up! Get over yourself already. Who cares who's the favorite of a golf tourney unless your a gambler which may be illegal in your state and you would be breaking the law placing a bet. Maybe we should look into your personal life with a microscope. I'm sure we could find some morally damaging information to share on the internet! The internet can be such a great tool and then again it can be used by any fool who owns a computer and a phone line. I think we know which catagory you fall under Mr. Rob Kelley!

CORRESPONDENT....HA HA AHA AHA AHAHAHAH.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472