TESTERS WANTED! ×

Reasons you would quit a round of golf before finishing?

Mr. 82

I ran across this article of the top 10 reasons golfers quit a round https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/why-walking-off-the-course

and I figured I'd post it here and see what experiences you've had that made you quit a round before you finished.

I'll give you some of my actual experiences when I quit a round before finishing, and you can judge me (or not) as to the legitimacy of it all.

• Years ago, (at least a decade ago now) I was asked to play in a two man charity scramble with a "friend" on a goat ranch muni not far from home at the time.  I shouldn't have let it got to me, but we got paired with two guys who took an excessive amount of time to hit their shots, and actually play real golf.  I got more heated as the holes went along.  We made the turn and even though the 10th hole was a short par 4, which none of us could reach, they insisted on waiting for the green to clear.  I made a comment along the lines of, "feel free to wait if you want, but I can't reach the green, so I'm going to hit."  My partner also hit and we went to find our balls, only to notice that the other two simply were having a nice long beer induced conversation on the tee box.  We actually finished out the hole and the other two still hadn't hit a drive.  When they finally decided to play and reach the green (remember, we were paired up in a charity scramble, so we weren't going anywhere, and we couldn't leave them behind if we wanted to), after they finished putting out I said to them rather bluntly, "you guys need to pick up the pace.  There was no reason for you to take this long to play this hole, or any other."  Well, you can guess as to where this went, and I ultimately had to phone the clubhouse to let them know that if they didn't send out a marshall, someone was going to get hurt.  They grew even more belligerent by the time we got to the next tee, so as I went to tee a ball up they made more rude comments about me, so I picked up my ball, grabbed my clubs off of the back of the cart, and walked back to the clubhouse.  My "friend" said he didn't have a problem with these two clowns, so he basically left me hanging to defend myself, while all the time complaining the entire round about how slow they played to me.  I gave him one last look of disgust before walking off.  That was the last time I ever saw him or heard from him, as it was obvious he simply asked me to play because of my skill level in golf, and nothing else.  What did I learn from this experience?  I will never confront another golfer on a golf course about poor etiquette or bad behavior ever again.  If anything, I'll simply leave the golf course if I decide that I am letting my emotions get the best of me.  Now I don't say much about bad behavior from others on a golf course, because I guess the older I get, the more I come to expect people to be disrespectful of others, selfish with their pace of play being slow, and otherwise not caring what others think about them, because they "paid their money just like you".  But yeah, would I walk off the golf course in a similar situation like this?  In a heart beat, and without even explaining to anyone why I did it.
  • Last Sunday I was playing a random practice round as a single at a course I hadn't played in years.  I had no idea how crowded the course would be or anything, but was simply looking for an afternoon practice round to kill some time before I had to be back home for dinner.  As the round went on I paired up with the kid who was playing solo in front of me, after a logjam on the 8th hole.  We enjoyed each other's company for the next 5 holes or so until we hit another logjam around the 14th hole, and then we ended up pairing up with the twosome in front of us to make a foursome for the 15th and 16th holes.  As we were finishing up 16 I looked at my watch and it was getting late, and I had to be home in time for dinner, and there were two groups still waiting to tee off on 17.  So the combination of darkness and a dinner date had me shaking hands with my playing partners on the 16th green and bidding them adieu.  Just a friendly good bye and nothing more.  I will say that even as a foursome we still had to wait to tee off on 16, as two groups were jam packed in front of us.  Just too many groups congested on the last few holes.  I'm not gonna hang around to play the last few holes where I'll be waiting another 20-30 minutes just to hit a golf shot.  Screw that.
  • Several weeks ago I was playing in a tournament a few hours from my house.  I actually got a hotel room and stayed over on Friday and Saturday nights to play in this tournament, so I dropped a good bit of money to play in this thing.  Friday's round was ok, as I played a practice round with some really good golfers who are all retired, and do this at least once a month.  But the pace of play was slow, as we had to wait on every shot on every hole for the group in front of us.  I finished out the back nine by pulling my clubs off of the cart, and walking the back nine, just to slow myself down to avoid having to wait at my ball for the group in front of us.  Apparently someone in this group of players has an issue with me walking, as we were in the clubhouse after the round, and he says out loud in front of everyone, "One guy was walking and should be disqualified." (they played for skins, first place (gross), etc)  Without missing a beat I shot back, "I can play faster walking then any of you guys can play with a cart."  Dead silence in the room.  But if you are going to call me out publicly I am going to defend myself.  Needless to say, that pissed me off something fierce and left a sour taste in my mouth for Saturday's round.  Same deal on Saturday, as we had to wait on nearly every shot.  What can I say, I play fast.  But I get it, it's a tournament and I expect to have to wait.  But now you can factor in a case of the shanks, where I was hitting iron shots off the hozel straight right, costing me about 6 shots in that round, and now the combination of my game going to crap, and having to wait to hit the next crappy shot just combined with Friday's blow up over walking to put me in a SERIOUSLY foul mood coming into Sunday.  So with all that in mind, I prepared for Sunday's round saying, "If I am not close to even par after 9 holes, and/or I have to wait on every shot, I will leave after 9 holes and drive home."  I still wasn't playing all that well, and even with the group in front of us being totally clear of the first green before we teed off, we still caught them on the 2nd green, and then we waited on them for the entire rest of the front nine.  I was so pissed at how I was playing, along with having to wait after every shot, that I played the last 3 holes with nothing but a 7 iron.  I got to the 9th green, putted out, and wished my playing partners well as I told them I was just not feeling it today, and that I was done.  They didn't seem to mind, and weren't all that surprised.  I guess playing with just a 7 iron tipped them off that I had had it.  Would I do this again?  It would probably depend on how I was playing.  But I've already made a mental note to never play with this Tour group ever again.  I guess I didn't learn my lesson from a year ago when both tournament rounds with this group were 5 hours in 95 degree heat.  Screw that.

Feel free to share situations where you've quit a round before finishing.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

For me, there are only a couple of reasons I've stopped in the middle of a round:

Lightning -  This is a no-brainer for me, and those who continue to play with lightning nearby are nominating themselves for the Darwin Award.

Rain - I'll play in real significant rain when I'm on vacation and the golf is prepaid, or in a competition when I'm properly prepared.  For casual rounds, I'll play on in a little rain, but I'll head for the tavern when it gets heavy.

Injury - I can't remember having to quit due to injury, but I've seen a few slips and trips, sprained ankles and knees, quitting is absolutely justified

Anything else, I'll keep going.  Slow play isn't fun, but I can deal with it, course conditions, playing partners, my own poor play, none of those will chase me off the course.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

The only time I've ever left a course mid-round I got violently ill and started vomiting on 7th tee which, at this course, was the absolute furthest away from the clubhouse. Every other time was weather related and it wasn't my choice.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Weather is one. I don’t play in the rain... Not happening.

Injury. I’ve had to quit after an issue with my back.

Piss-poor play. I’ve walked-off after playing like total dog poo. When I’m not enjoying it, I’m heading home.

Slow-play. I’ve walked-off at the TPC San Antonio after a four-hour FRONT NINE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Just now, PMookie said:

Slow-play. I’ve walked-off st the TPC San Antonio after a four-hour FRONT NINE!

🤯

You win the internet today!  WOW!

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I've left the course for slow play more times than I can count.  Slow play is just not something I'm willing to put up with for long periods of time.  It's just not worth it to be that frustrated 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

lightning! Thunder was right overhead after 3 holes! I called TIME yet the organisers continued play after 20 mins as "the lightning appeared to be further away"...............I'll live to play again thanks!

I did walk in once after 9 when I got a case of the shanks! I mean EVERY single iron right down to a 3 iron..........walked onto the range to sort it out.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

2 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

lightning! Thunder was right overhead after 3 holes! I called TIME yet the organisers continued play after 20 mins as "the lightning appeared to be further away"...............I'll live to play again thanks!

I did walk in once after 9 when I got a case of the shanks! I mean EVERY single iron right down to a 3 iron..........walked onto the range to sort it out.

I've done that once, and it was this year!!  I saw no reason to keep playing and grooving a shot I don't need!

Many years ago in AZ, I should have walked off for the same reason but I was playing a resort course with my wife and friends.  Happened on the 2nd hole and I played the rest of the round with driver and hybrids!!

We don't get much lightning but the clubhouse has a weather radar and will send out the marshal to get people off the course when a storm gets close.  

We also don't get much rain here in the desert.  If it looks like it's going to rain, I'll wait until it passes... maybe an hour at most.  When I play when traveling, I'll play in the rain as long as the course allows it.

My wife and I have quit because of slow play on the weekend.  It's a muni and I expect some slow play, but when it gets ridiculous, I'm done.  Early this year we quit after 6 holes when we hit the 2 hour mark.  We came back later in the day and finished our round.  It's nice to be members, even at a muni!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I didn't read Swags wall o' words but I think I get the gist of it...

There have only been a few and rare times I've had to quit a round or walked off a golf course. None of them had to do with my playing ability (or lack of) that day.

Super slow play prevented me from finishing a round. (Had a dinner engagement to attend.)

Rain

Wind (I've also played through 60 mph gusts. That was Interesting.)

Paired with a complete jackass. (Quit after 9. casual round)

Right shoulder tendinitis once. (Had to pack it up after 9.)

I've never quit or WD'd from a match or tournament. (thought about it a few times)

I've seen and played with a few guys through the years that would quit due to poor play. I've never understood that. Doesn't everyone have a bad round now and then? I certainly have.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I’ve quit friendly rounds twice in 31 years of playing.

First was in Port St. Lucie, bugs everywhere to the point where you couldn’t stand anywhere without having small flies around you. Made it 6 holes.

Second was Hammock Creek in Palm City. The dumbest, worst golf course I’ve ever played. It didn’t help that the best score I posted for the front 9 was a double. Made it 9 holes there and swore off that dump for good.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

This year only once when a light precip which I don't mind playing in turned into a heavy downpour.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Ive left the course for poor play several times. At the turn usually. Never when I paid actual green fees though.

Back gets sore on an occasion and that will drive me off as it did today after 9. 

Slow play. Makes it easy to leave as a member.

Lightning has driven me off.

Rain AND high winds combined. Living in Oregon I have web feet so not a big deal playing in the rain. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Mainly only for weather. I will rarely walk off if slow play becomes unbearable or I have somewhere I need to be and a round I thought I could get done in 4 hours ends up taking much longer. The only other time I can recall walking off, is when the people I was paired up with got into an altercation with the group behind us. It was a situation that definitely could have escalated and become something I didn’t want to be involved in, so I told the club house and left. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

1. Lightning

2. Extremely heavy rain but in Florida that’s generally going to be accompanied by lightning.

3. Some sort of significant injury -

4. Extreme pace of play - but that’s usually in conjunction with an injury - I will generally endure unless my back gets so tight that I can’t loosen it.

5. Darkness with no chance of any light for more than a hole.

The last time that I came off the course was after 9 two years ago - it had started to rain and one of the rangers met us in the fairway to tell us it was only going to get worse.

It’s pretty rare for me to quit in the middle of a round. I don’t play enough as it is. :(

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

OH! one other reason I quit a few rounds early was Gang fights on the 11th fairway!🙄

2 rival schemes (housing projects in the US) would meet there armed to the teeth with iron bars, rocks and anything else (occasionally they would rob a couple of golfers of their clubs to use as weapons) and sort out who was the most stupid.

Fortunately you could see ahead a hole and any movement in the adjacent fields meant it's time to retire early.😮😡

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

I've only left early due to injury, weather, heat exhaustion (only a couple of times, early symptoms), phenomenally slow play (as in, 3+ hours to play the front 9?!?!), unavoidable prior commitment (like a wedding, would need to be THAT important!).

I've never left due to bad play or course conditions or an unfortunate pairing. As to play or conditions, there's always something to work on. As to an unfortunate pairing, it's pretty easy to navigate even opposing personalities.

But the VERY few times I found the person completely unpalatable, I'd no problem at all completely avoiding them and/or moving on (if opportunity exists).

Once for heat exhaustion, needed to abandon.

Once for lightning and severe thunder storm; it took out a large oak on the course that evening.

Only reasons I can think of.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

The main reason I could see for quitting early would be storms. I had to leave the course one a couple of years ago because they sounded the horn that signified lightning in the area.

I had one round in the last year I left early due to time constraints/meeting The wife for lunch. I was planning on it, fortunately the course I was playing was running a special where you could play all you wanted for $20. I left after playing 14.

I had an incident back around 2001 where I was playing with the ex in-laws in February and was trying to retrieve a ball from a pond when I slipped in an got soaked to my waist. I left to go home and change clothes and met back up with them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The number one reason I quit is slow play. I’ve quit more times than I care to mention when the pace slows to a crawl. Before quitting I do attempt to skip holes when possible. I’ve also quit because of extreme weather; above 95 and below freezing. If I’m totally honest I’ve also walked off the golf course when after a few holes my heart just wasn’t in it. Sadly it happens from time to time and is rarely related to quality of play.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

8 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

OH! one other reason I quit a few rounds early was Gang fights on the 11th fairway!🙄

2 rival schemes (housing projects in the US) would meet there armed to the teeth with iron bars, rocks and anything else (occasionally they would rob a couple of golfers of their clubs to use as weapons) and sort out who was the most stupid.

Fortunately you could see ahead a hole and any movement in the adjacent fields meant it's time to retire early.😮😡

Sounds like your playing on the wrong side of the tracks... 😬

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Well, my wife and I quit a practice round this afternoon; nice sunny 58º day with no wind.  Fridays are always the busiest day of the week unless there is a tournament on the weekend.  I guess everyone was out thinking this might be the last good weekend for golf this fall...  mid-60's and sunny Sat and Sun.

We showed up at our tee time at 3:14.  A father and teenage son was just going off the Blue 1st tee.  The son struggled with the first few shots, and the dad was giving him lessons.  The 1st hole is a short par 4, and you don't tee off until the group ahead is on the green.  (I can't get there anyway).  They walked off the green while my wife teed off from the forward tees.  We hit our second shots onto the green, and they still hadn't teed off #2... more lessons.  We walked onto the green and putted... I made a 30 footer for birdie!  We walked back to the cart, drove up to the #2 tee box and the kid was hitting his second (?) shot from 20 yards in front of the forward tee from the mounds in the right rough... we waited and waited.  Finally teed off and played the par 4 #2... my wife made a 4 foot downhill birdie!!  Drove around the bend in the cart path to par 4 #3 hole, and the kid was just teeing off...  50 yards to mounds in right rough.  I thought they would let us play through, but no.  They drove the 50 yards and got out of the cart looking at what they were going to do now.  I saw no group in front of them, so I drove down the middle of the fairway toward the #4 tee.  Great!  We'll just get out of their way.

We played the par 3 #4 hole with two pars, and drove to the par 5 #5 tee.  We came around the bend, and there was a foursome in 3 carts, all in the left rough about 100 yards out.  We waited, and waited, and waited while 3 guys watched one guy hack at the ball 3 times (the rough in those mounds is brutal).  Then they all went to the next ball.  We went to the clubhouse.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 hours ago, GB13 said:

Sounds like your playing on the wrong side of the tracks... 😬

we were in the middle! either side was the wrong side😂

That's brutal @Kenny B. I fully understand folks wanting to have "teaching rounds" out on the course, but it's usually best to save those for twilight or other slow periods.

As for the other group... sounds like the clubhouse may need to put up signs advertising a remedial course in ready golf. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I guess one of the best things about being retired is that I play primarily during the week and at courses that quite often are able to accommodate me as a single. Even the last time my son and I played in a foursome, it was at a course that does a very solid job of keeping play going through good marshaling that is calm and friendly. 

I have enough courses within a 45 minute drive to not have to worry too much about slow play.

Though I do accept that it makes it a LOT less fun, especially if there is a time restraint. In the past years, I have also made notes, based on discussions with the staff on when the courses are the least crowded. (In AZ, that is often in the afternoon, July - September,  when one could tee off with temps around 105º - 110º; but, even I am not that crazy!)

I play to enjoy the play. and don't get too stressed out, even when I play like a horses posterior.

cartoon0708.png.7251ed64d61e82e27b9c7593a8b3f72f.png

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 9:49 AM, DaveP043 said:

For me, there are only a couple of reasons I've stopped in the middle of a round:

Lightning -  This is a no-brainer for me, and those who continue to play with lightning nearby are nominating themselves for the Darwin Award.

Rain - I'll play in real significant rain when I'm on vacation and the golf is prepaid, or in a competition when I'm properly prepared.  For casual rounds, I'll play on in a little rain, but I'll head for the tavern when it gets heavy.

Injury - I can't remember having to quit due to injury, but I've seen a few slips and trips, sprained ankles and knees, quitting is absolutely justified

Anything else, I'll keep going.  Slow play isn't fun, but I can deal with it, course conditions, playing partners, my own poor play, none of those will chase me off the course.

+1 except that I'll add being underdressed for cold weather... what I experienced yesterday when a winter front moved in.  Fortunately the snow held off until that last couple of holes and the pro shop felt sorry (perhaps legally responsible 😁) for me and offered an enclosed power cart for nuttin.  I really should have quit at 9, but neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow will stop me from completing Official Tester responsibilities.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

7 minutes ago, Charli said:

I will leave if I develop the shanks and can’t shake them. 

I did that once this year... on the 3rd hole... after my 5th one of the round.

27 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I did that once this year... on the 3rd hole... after my 5th one of the round.

Yeah it hasn’t happened to me yet but there’s no way I’d stay and just embarrass myself. Golf is hard enough I don’t need the shanks on top of it. 

4 minutes ago, Charli said:

Yeah it hasn’t happened to me yet but there’s no way I’d stay and just embarrass myself. Golf is hard enough I don’t need the shanks on top of it. 

I didn't hit another one for several weeks.  It was just one of those days.

On 10/9/2019 at 11:41 AM, GSwag said:

I ran across this article of the top 10 reasons golfers quit a round https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/why-walking-off-the-course

and I figured I'd post it here and see what experiences you've had that made you quit a round before you finished.

I'll give you some of my actual experiences when I quit a round before finishing, and you can judge me (or not) as to the legitimacy of it all.

• Years ago, (at least a decade ago now) I was asked to play in a two man charity scramble with a "friend" on a goat ranch muni not far from home at the time.  I shouldn't have let it got to me, but we got paired with two guys who took an excessive amount of time to hit their shots, and actually play real golf.  I got more heated as the holes went along.  We made the turn and even though the 10th hole was a short par 4, which none of us could reach, they insisted on waiting for the green to clear.  I made a comment along the lines of, "feel free to wait if you want, but I can't reach the green, so I'm going to hit."  My partner also hit and we went to find our balls, only to notice that the other two simply were having a nice long beer induced conversation on the tee box.  We actually finished out the hole and the other two still hadn't hit a drive.  When they finally decided to play and reach the green (remember, we were paired up in a charity scramble, so we weren't going anywhere, and we couldn't leave them behind if we wanted to), after they finished putting out I said to them rather bluntly, "you guys need to pick up the pace.  There was no reason for you to take this long to play this hole, or any other."  Well, you can guess as to where this went, and I ultimately had to phone the clubhouse to let them know that if they didn't send out a marshall, someone was going to get hurt.  They grew even more belligerent by the time we got to the next tee, so as I went to tee a ball up they made more rude comments about me, so I picked up my ball, grabbed my clubs off of the back of the cart, and walked back to the clubhouse.  My "friend" said he didn't have a problem with these two clowns, so he basically left me hanging to defend myself, while all the time complaining the entire round about how slow they played to me.  I gave him one last look of disgust before walking off.  That was the last time I ever saw him or heard from him, as it was obvious he simply asked me to play because of my skill level in golf, and nothing else.  What did I learn from this experience?  I will never confront another golfer on a golf course about poor etiquette or bad behavior ever again.  If anything, I'll simply leave the golf course if I decide that I am letting my emotions get the best of me.  Now I don't say much about bad behavior from others on a golf course, because I guess the older I get, the more I come to expect people to be disrespectful of others, selfish with their pace of play being slow, and otherwise not caring what others think about them, because they "paid their money just like you".  But yeah, would I walk off the golf course in a similar situation like this?  In a heart beat, and without even explaining to anyone why I did it.
  • Last Sunday I was playing a random practice round as a single at a course I hadn't played in years.  I had no idea how crowded the course would be or anything, but was simply looking for an afternoon practice round to kill some time before I had to be back home for dinner.  As the round went on I paired up with the kid who was playing solo in front of me, after a logjam on the 8th hole.  We enjoyed each other's company for the next 5 holes or so until we hit another logjam around the 14th hole, and then we ended up pairing up with the twosome in front of us to make a foursome for the 15th and 16th holes.  As we were finishing up 16 I looked at my watch and it was getting late, and I had to be home in time for dinner, and there were two groups still waiting to tee off on 17.  So the combination of darkness and a dinner date had me shaking hands with my playing partners on the 16th green and bidding them adieu.  Just a friendly good bye and nothing more.  I will say that even as a foursome we still had to wait to tee off on 16, as two groups were jam packed in front of us.  Just too many groups congested on the last few holes.  I'm not gonna hang around to play the last few holes where I'll be waiting another 20-30 minutes just to hit a golf shot.  Screw that.
  • Several weeks ago I was playing in a tournament a few hours from my house.  I actually got a hotel room and stayed over on Friday and Saturday nights to play in this tournament, so I dropped a good bit of money to play in this thing.  Friday's round was ok, as I played a practice round with some really good golfers who are all retired, and do this at least once a month.  But the pace of play was slow, as we had to wait on every shot on every hole for the group in front of us.  I finished out the back nine by pulling my clubs off of the cart, and walking the back nine, just to slow myself down to avoid having to wait at my ball for the group in front of us.  Apparently someone in this group of players has an issue with me walking, as we were in the clubhouse after the round, and he says out loud in front of everyone, "One guy was walking and should be disqualified." (they played for skins, first place (gross), etc)  Without missing a beat I shot back, "I can play faster walking then any of you guys can play with a cart."  Dead silence in the room.  But if you are going to call me out publicly I am going to defend myself.  Needless to say, that pissed me off something fierce and left a sour taste in my mouth for Saturday's round.  Same deal on Saturday, as we had to wait on nearly every shot.  What can I say, I play fast.  But I get it, it's a tournament and I expect to have to wait.  But now you can factor in a case of the shanks, where I was hitting iron shots off the hozel straight right, costing me about 6 shots in that round, and now the combination of my game going to crap, and having to wait to hit the next crappy shot just combined with Friday's blow up over walking to put me in a SERIOUSLY foul mood coming into Sunday.  So with all that in mind, I prepared for Sunday's round saying, "If I am not close to even par after 9 holes, and/or I have to wait on every shot, I will leave after 9 holes and drive home."  I still wasn't playing all that well, and even with the group in front of us being totally clear of the first green before we teed off, we still caught them on the 2nd green, and then we waited on them for the entire rest of the front nine.  I was so pissed at how I was playing, along with having to wait after every shot, that I played the last 3 holes with nothing but a 7 iron.  I got to the 9th green, putted out, and wished my playing partners well as I told them I was just not feeling it today, and that I was done.  They didn't seem to mind, and weren't all that surprised.  I guess playing with just a 7 iron tipped them off that I had had it.  Would I do this again?  It would probably depend on how I was playing.  But I've already made a mental note to never play with this Tour group ever again.  I guess I didn't learn my lesson from a year ago when both tournament rounds with this group were 5 hours in 95 degree heat.  Screw that.

Feel free to share situations where you've quit a round before finishing.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you haven't been invited to play in a steady foursome, or have been playing in any type of league with other golfers.

To be honest, you don't seem like the easiest person to play with. You seem to be the common denominator in all these stories, and the only one who's walking off. Maybe you should make more of an effort to not sweat the small stuff that isn't bothering anyone else in the group or tournament but you.

If you're going to quit a tournament round because it might take 5 hours, and it being 95* when you're playing in Jacksonville area, you might be the problem. 

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”