TESTERS WANTED! ×

Reasons you would quit a round of golf before finishing?

Mr. 82

These days I'll walk off the course for one of three reasons:

1. Lightning.  And I'll run off the course.
  2. Darkness.  I don't have good depth perception as it is, so if I start hitting two inches behind the ball, I'll walk in.
  3. Impending doom.  My wife is really good about letting me play, but if it's slow going and I'm going to make us late for something, I'll quit early.  This might happen once or twice a year at most.

I quit after nine in a junior tournament once in high school, and I was so upset with myself on the drive home for pulling such a punk move that I never did it again.  I'd rather finish DFL than WD.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 10/26/2019 at 11:29 PM, Grand Stranded said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you haven't been invited to play in a steady foursome, or have been playing in any type of league with other golfers.

To be honest, you don't seem like the easiest person to play with. You seem to be the common denominator in all these stories, and the only one who's walking off. Maybe you should make more of an effort to not sweat the small stuff that isn't bothering anyone else in the group or tournament but you.

If you're going to quit a tournament round because it might take 5 hours, and it being 95* when you're playing in Jacksonville area, you might be the problem. 

Well, I won't respond to your personal attacks, other than to say that I have a regular league on Saturday mornings, and play with the same guys on Fridays and Saturdays now that I am a member of a club about an hour from the house.

If you want to attack me personally, that's between you and God.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I play with a fairly relaxed group of guys.  We will text in the morning to set up a game for the afternoon.  If one of the golfers has a conflict, it's not uncommon for them to say "Go ahead and tee off at 2:00, I'll join when I can," or " I have a meeting at 4:30, so I may have to take off early."  We can get very serious about our golf, but the main reason we play is for the camaraderie.  It's better to play 14 holes than none.  

I've never not finished a round because it took too long.  I'm not sure four hours is a realistic expectation for a round of golf, anyway. Most of mine took a little longer than that.

Twice I had to stop because my back went into painful spasms, and over many years, we stopped for lightening two or three times.

Once I had to stop after someone came to the course to inform me of a family emergency. That was before cell phones.

I've never stopped for heat.  I loved to play on hot, humid days because I felt looser on those days and I was riding anyway in more recent years.

I've never stopped over annoyance with playing partners, but I have to think that I just got lucky there.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:29 PM, Grand Stranded said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you haven't been invited to play in a steady foursome, or have been playing in any type of league with other golfers.

To be honest, you don't seem like the easiest person to play with. You seem to be the common denominator in all these stories, and the only one who's walking off. Maybe you should make more of an effort to not sweat the small stuff that isn't bothering anyone else in the group or tournament but you.

If you're going to quit a tournament round because it might take 5 hours, and it being 95* when you're playing in Jacksonville area, you might be the problem. 

Knowing GSwag personally, I can tell you that you're WAY off base.  "Common denominator"?  No crap!  These are HIS stories so obviously he would be the common denominator.  

What I can say about GSwag is while he is very forward with his opinions and he wears his heart on his sleeve, you also won't find a more passionate person about the game nor a more fun person to play with.  It's one thing to tee it up on a random day and hack around...  it's another to play in a sanctioned tournament and take 6 or more hours to play...  especially in heat indexes over 100*.  There is absolutely zero reason ANY round of golf should take more than 4 hours other than a complete lack of and total disrespect for the game, your playing companions, and other people on the course.   

I walked off during an Amateur event once because after hitting my shot OB and taking the appropriate drop, one guy in our group went ape s*** on me about how I was in violation of the rules, yada yada yada.  Keep in mind this was the guy who brought his annoying ass "trophy" wife with him and she didn't shut up the entire day...  she talked non-stop during everyone else's swing, she got out and wandered endlessly...  she drank to an excessive amount.  So after the 10th hole where my OB drop took place, I quietly grabbed my back and walked back in.  I simply wasn't going to put up with him or her for the back 9.  Funny thing is my cart partner (who was leading at the time) came in 2 holes later.  He was done with them as well.  Tournament promoter told us he had received previous complaints and this guy would be banned from future events.  We never saw that clown again.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

6 hours ago, ga_pike said:

Knowing GSwag personally, I can tell you that you're WAY off base.  "Common denominator"?  No crap!  These are HIS stories so obviously he would be the common denominator.  

What I can say about GSwag is while he is very forward with his opinions and he wears his heart on his sleeve, you also won't find a more passionate person about the game nor a more fun person to play with.  It's one thing to tee it up on a random day and hack around...  it's another to play in a sanctioned tournament and take 6 or more hours to play...  especially in heat indexes over 100*.  There is absolutely zero reason ANY round of golf should take more than 4 hours other than a complete lack of and total disrespect for the game, your playing companions, and other people on the course.   

I walked off during an Amateur event once because after hitting my shot OB and taking the appropriate drop, one guy in our group went ape s*** on me about how I was in violation of the rules, yada yada yada.  Keep in mind this was the guy who brought his annoying ass "trophy" wife with him and she didn't shut up the entire day...  she talked non-stop during everyone else's swing, she got out and wandered endlessly...  she drank to an excessive amount.  So after the 10th hole where my OB drop took place, I quietly grabbed my back and walked back in.  I simply wasn't going to put up with him or her for the back 9.  Funny thing is my cart partner (who was leading at the time) came in 2 holes later.  He was done with them as well.  Tournament promoter told us he had received previous complaints and this guy would be banned from future events.  We never saw that clown again.  

I went back and looked at the post I left. 

I think it’s safe to say I owe @GSwag an apology. The best excuse I can give him is that sometimes the written word doesn’t always come off the way it was intended. 

A couple of well placed emojis or lols could’ve helped. That said, he did come off a bit, let’s say, edgy? But whatever, I shouldn’t have said anything.

Either way I hope he sees this, and I think it’s pretty cool he has a friend like you to vouch for him.

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

I went back and looked at the post I left. 
I think it’s safe to say I owe [mention=71158]GSwag[/mention] an apology. The best excuse I can give him is that sometimes the written word doesn’t always come off the way it was intended. 
A couple of well placed emojis or lols could’ve helped. That said, he did come off a bit, let’s say, edgy? But whatever, I shouldn’t have said anything.
Either way I hope he sees this, and I think it’s pretty cool he has a friend like you to vouch for him.
All good brother.

Sent from my SM-G975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

I totally understand and agree with you for leaving the course during a round. When I head for the course to play a practice round, or a round in general if there are too many cars in the parking lot and I can see foursome's on the first few holes I just get a couple of buckets and head for the range.  I'm a pretty quick player and enjoying playing alone. I really hate looking for a lost ball and it drives me nuts when someone will spend 5 minutes + looking for a $2 ball.

Like you, when I was with a group and play was slow my game suffered badly, but that was years ago and the main reason I play alone now. I do play on a weekly league, but that's only 9 holes and I can get thru that pretty much OK.

So I don't feel you did anything wrong as I'm sure I'd of done the same thing.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

I've cut rounds short for the reasons mentioned above. Daylight, slow play, time, etc. I've had to cut one round short when I ran out of balls, that was a sad moment. 

But my most fond memory of cutting a round short occurred on a pleasant summer day in 2006. I was playing to a solid 23hdcp at the time, lots of power combined with no accuracy, good times. 

I Teed off on the Keystone Ranch course: 1 st hole is a straight away par 5, and a pure drive, a great 3wd, and a holed putt from probably ~20' and I walked off with an eagle. Maybe my first eagle ever. 

Hole 2, basically a parallel straight back par 4. I hit my second fairway in a row, my approach to about 2', tap in birdie. 

Hole 3, no idea, I walked off after 2. I was not about to ruin a eagle birdie start with 7 lost balls, 2 triple bogies and what ever else I was going to fumble that round. At a 23, I knew the math was strongly against me. It was like going to Vegas for a week and hitting a jackpot on the first day, you fly home. 

So, I walked off a course because of the best start to a round of my life. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

• 1 month later...

I’ll stop for: lightning, hail, exceptionally slow play (who won’t let you through) and people behind me who have no idea about course etiquette (constantly hit into you, drive their carts on the side of the green, etc.).

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

Death... my own

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Torrential rain.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

There have been plenty of times that I've felt like quitting, especially when playing poorly in a local tournament, and I don't recall ever leaving because of weather conditions, but that could just be my old brain not remembering.  However, there was one time I can remember quitting a round early, and that was when I got injured (hit in the eye with my own ball) and I had to go get stitches, but even then I didn't want to quit, my playing partner made me.

Let me explain the injury:  The cart paths had recently been re-paved and they didn't smooth out the edges, so there was about a 2" lip on the edges of the cart paths.  Well, there was 1 hole where the cart path split the fairway and the green.  This was a short par-4 and I hit my drive all the way to that cart path, so I took my relief and when to pitch it over the cart path to an elevated green with a massive bunker in front of it.  So, I must've tried to lift the ball and I thinned it right in to the lip of the cart path and my ball ricocheted right back at me.  It hit me in the left eye before I even finished my swing.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗