Mr. 82

Reasons you would quit a round of golf before finishing?

Our Sponsors

Well, my wife and I quit a practice round this afternoon; nice sunny 58º day with no wind.  Fridays are always the busiest day of the week unless there is a tournament on the weekend.  I guess everyone was out thinking this might be the last good weekend for golf this fall...  mid-60's and sunny Sat and Sun.

We showed up at our tee time at 3:14.  A father and teenage son was just going off the Blue 1st tee.  The son struggled with the first few shots, and the dad was giving him lessons.  The 1st hole is a short par 4, and you don't tee off until the group ahead is on the green.  (I can't get there anyway).  They walked off the green while my wife teed off from the forward tees.  We hit our second shots onto the green, and they still hadn't teed off #2... more lessons.  We walked onto the green and putted... I made a 30 footer for birdie!  We walked back to the cart, drove up to the #2 tee box and the kid was hitting his second (?) shot from 20 yards in front of the forward tee from the mounds in the right rough... we waited and waited.  Finally teed off and played the par 4 #2... my wife made a 4 foot downhill birdie!!  Drove around the bend in the cart path to par 4 #3 hole, and the kid was just teeing off...  50 yards to mounds in right rough.  I thought they would let us play through, but no.  They drove the 50 yards and got out of the cart looking at what they were going to do now.  I saw no group in front of them, so I drove down the middle of the fairway toward the #4 tee.  Great!  We'll just get out of their way.

We played the par 3 #4 hole with two pars, and drove to the par 5 #5 tee.  We came around the bend, and there was a foursome in 3 carts, all in the left rough about 100 yards out.  We waited, and waited, and waited while 3 guys watched one guy hack at the ball 3 times (the rough in those mounds is brutal).  Then they all went to the next ball.  We went to the clubhouse.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GB13 said:

Sounds like your playing on the wrong side of the tracks... 😬

we were in the middle! either side was the wrong side😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

That's brutal @Kenny B. I fully understand folks wanting to have "teaching rounds" out on the course, but it's usually best to save those for twilight or other slow periods.

As for the other group... sounds like the clubhouse may need to put up signs advertising a remedial course in ready golf. 

• Like 2

I guess one of the best things about being retired is that I play primarily during the week and at courses that quite often are able to accommodate me as a single. Even the last time my son and I played in a foursome, it was at a course that does a very solid job of keeping play going through good marshaling that is calm and friendly. 

I have enough courses within a 45 minute drive to not have to worry too much about slow play.

Though I do accept that it makes it a LOT less fun, especially if there is a time restraint. In the past years, I have also made notes, based on discussions with the staff on when the courses are the least crowded. (In AZ, that is often in the afternoon, July - September,  when one could tee off with temps around 105º - 110º; but, even I am not that crazy!)

I play to enjoy the play. and don't get too stressed out, even when I play like a horses posterior.

cartoon0708.png.7251ed64d61e82e27b9c7593a8b3f72f.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2019 at 9:49 AM, DaveP043 said:

For me, there are only a couple of reasons I've stopped in the middle of a round:

Lightning -  This is a no-brainer for me, and those who continue to play with lightning nearby are nominating themselves for the Darwin Award.

Rain - I'll play in real significant rain when I'm on vacation and the golf is prepaid, or in a competition when I'm properly prepared.  For casual rounds, I'll play on in a little rain, but I'll head for the tavern when it gets heavy.

Injury - I can't remember having to quit due to injury, but I've seen a few slips and trips, sprained ankles and knees, quitting is absolutely justified

Anything else, I'll keep going.  Slow play isn't fun, but I can deal with it, course conditions, playing partners, my own poor play, none of those will chase me off the course.

+1 except that I'll add being underdressed for cold weather... what I experienced yesterday when a winter front moved in.  Fortunately the snow held off until that last couple of holes and the pro shop felt sorry (perhaps legally responsible 😁) for me and offered an enclosed power cart for nuttin.  I really should have quit at 9, but neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow will stop me from completing Official Tester responsibilities.  

• Like 3

I will leave if I develop the shanks and can’t shake them. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Charli said:

I will leave if I develop the shanks and can’t shake them. 

I did that once this year... on the 3rd hole... after my 5th one of the round.

27 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I did that once this year... on the 3rd hole... after my 5th one of the round.

Yeah it hasn’t happened to me yet but there’s no way I’d stay and just embarrass myself. Golf is hard enough I don’t need the shanks on top of it. 

4 minutes ago, Charli said:

Yeah it hasn’t happened to me yet but there’s no way I’d stay and just embarrass myself. Golf is hard enough I don’t need the shanks on top of it. 

I didn't hit another one for several weeks.  It was just one of those days.

On 10/9/2019 at 11:41 AM, GSwag said:

I ran across this article of the top 10 reasons golfers quit a round https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/why-walking-off-the-course

and I figured I'd post it here and see what experiences you've had that made you quit a round before you finished.

I'll give you some of my actual experiences when I quit a round before finishing, and you can judge me (or not) as to the legitimacy of it all.

• Years ago, (at least a decade ago now) I was asked to play in a two man charity scramble with a "friend" on a goat ranch muni not far from home at the time.  I shouldn't have let it got to me, but we got paired with two guys who took an excessive amount of time to hit their shots, and actually play real golf.  I got more heated as the holes went along.  We made the turn and even though the 10th hole was a short par 4, which none of us could reach, they insisted on waiting for the green to clear.  I made a comment along the lines of, "feel free to wait if you want, but I can't reach the green, so I'm going to hit."  My partner also hit and we went to find our balls, only to notice that the other two simply were having a nice long beer induced conversation on the tee box.  We actually finished out the hole and the other two still hadn't hit a drive.  When they finally decided to play and reach the green (remember, we were paired up in a charity scramble, so we weren't going anywhere, and we couldn't leave them behind if we wanted to), after they finished putting out I said to them rather bluntly, "you guys need to pick up the pace.  There was no reason for you to take this long to play this hole, or any other."  Well, you can guess as to where this went, and I ultimately had to phone the clubhouse to let them know that if they didn't send out a marshall, someone was going to get hurt.  They grew even more belligerent by the time we got to the next tee, so as I went to tee a ball up they made more rude comments about me, so I picked up my ball, grabbed my clubs off of the back of the cart, and walked back to the clubhouse.  My "friend" said he didn't have a problem with these two clowns, so he basically left me hanging to defend myself, while all the time complaining the entire round about how slow they played to me.  I gave him one last look of disgust before walking off.  That was the last time I ever saw him or heard from him, as it was obvious he simply asked me to play because of my skill level in golf, and nothing else.  What did I learn from this experience?  I will never confront another golfer on a golf course about poor etiquette or bad behavior ever again.  If anything, I'll simply leave the golf course if I decide that I am letting my emotions get the best of me.  Now I don't say much about bad behavior from others on a golf course, because I guess the older I get, the more I come to expect people to be disrespectful of others, selfish with their pace of play being slow, and otherwise not caring what others think about them, because they "paid their money just like you".  But yeah, would I walk off the golf course in a similar situation like this?  In a heart beat, and without even explaining to anyone why I did it.
  • Last Sunday I was playing a random practice round as a single at a course I hadn't played in years.  I had no idea how crowded the course would be or anything, but was simply looking for an afternoon practice round to kill some time before I had to be back home for dinner.  As the round went on I paired up with the kid who was playing solo in front of me, after a logjam on the 8th hole.  We enjoyed each other's company for the next 5 holes or so until we hit another logjam around the 14th hole, and then we ended up pairing up with the twosome in front of us to make a foursome for the 15th and 16th holes.  As we were finishing up 16 I looked at my watch and it was getting late, and I had to be home in time for dinner, and there were two groups still waiting to tee off on 17.  So the combination of darkness and a dinner date had me shaking hands with my playing partners on the 16th green and bidding them adieu.  Just a friendly good bye and nothing more.  I will say that even as a foursome we still had to wait to tee off on 16, as two groups were jam packed in front of us.  Just too many groups congested on the last few holes.  I'm not gonna hang around to play the last few holes where I'll be waiting another 20-30 minutes just to hit a golf shot.  Screw that.
  • Several weeks ago I was playing in a tournament a few hours from my house.  I actually got a hotel room and stayed over on Friday and Saturday nights to play in this tournament, so I dropped a good bit of money to play in this thing.  Friday's round was ok, as I played a practice round with some really good golfers who are all retired, and do this at least once a month.  But the pace of play was slow, as we had to wait on every shot on every hole for the group in front of us.  I finished out the back nine by pulling my clubs off of the cart, and walking the back nine, just to slow myself down to avoid having to wait at my ball for the group in front of us.  Apparently someone in this group of players has an issue with me walking, as we were in the clubhouse after the round, and he says out loud in front of everyone, "One guy was walking and should be disqualified." (they played for skins, first place (gross), etc)  Without missing a beat I shot back, "I can play faster walking then any of you guys can play with a cart."  Dead silence in the room.  But if you are going to call me out publicly I am going to defend myself.  Needless to say, that pissed me off something fierce and left a sour taste in my mouth for Saturday's round.  Same deal on Saturday, as we had to wait on nearly every shot.  What can I say, I play fast.  But I get it, it's a tournament and I expect to have to wait.  But now you can factor in a case of the shanks, where I was hitting iron shots off the hozel straight right, costing me about 6 shots in that round, and now the combination of my game going to crap, and having to wait to hit the next crappy shot just combined with Friday's blow up over walking to put me in a SERIOUSLY foul mood coming into Sunday.  So with all that in mind, I prepared for Sunday's round saying, "If I am not close to even par after 9 holes, and/or I have to wait on every shot, I will leave after 9 holes and drive home."  I still wasn't playing all that well, and even with the group in front of us being totally clear of the first green before we teed off, we still caught them on the 2nd green, and then we waited on them for the entire rest of the front nine.  I was so pissed at how I was playing, along with having to wait after every shot, that I played the last 3 holes with nothing but a 7 iron.  I got to the 9th green, putted out, and wished my playing partners well as I told them I was just not feeling it today, and that I was done.  They didn't seem to mind, and weren't all that surprised.  I guess playing with just a 7 iron tipped them off that I had had it.  Would I do this again?  It would probably depend on how I was playing.  But I've already made a mental note to never play with this Tour group ever again.  I guess I didn't learn my lesson from a year ago when both tournament rounds with this group were 5 hours in 95 degree heat.  Screw that.

Feel free to share situations where you've quit a round before finishing.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you haven't been invited to play in a steady foursome, or have been playing in any type of league with other golfers.

To be honest, you don't seem like the easiest person to play with. You seem to be the common denominator in all these stories, and the only one who's walking off. Maybe you should make more of an effort to not sweat the small stuff that isn't bothering anyone else in the group or tournament but you.

If you're going to quit a tournament round because it might take 5 hours, and it being 95* when you're playing in Jacksonville area, you might be the problem. 

• Like 1
  • Off Topic 1

These days I'll walk off the course for one of three reasons:

1. Lightning.  And I'll run off the course.
  2. Darkness.  I don't have good depth perception as it is, so if I start hitting two inches behind the ball, I'll walk in.
  3. Impending doom.  My wife is really good about letting me play, but if it's slow going and I'm going to make us late for something, I'll quit early.  This might happen once or twice a year at most.

I quit after nine in a junior tournament once in high school, and I was so upset with myself on the drive home for pulling such a punk move that I never did it again.  I'd rather finish DFL than WD.

• Like 3

On 10/26/2019 at 11:29 PM, Grand Stranded said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you haven't been invited to play in a steady foursome, or have been playing in any type of league with other golfers.

To be honest, you don't seem like the easiest person to play with. You seem to be the common denominator in all these stories, and the only one who's walking off. Maybe you should make more of an effort to not sweat the small stuff that isn't bothering anyone else in the group or tournament but you.

If you're going to quit a tournament round because it might take 5 hours, and it being 95* when you're playing in Jacksonville area, you might be the problem. 

Well, I won't respond to your personal attacks, other than to say that I have a regular league on Saturday mornings, and play with the same guys on Fridays and Saturdays now that I am a member of a club about an hour from the house.

If you want to attack me personally, that's between you and God.

• Like 1

I play with a fairly relaxed group of guys.  We will text in the morning to set up a game for the afternoon.  If one of the golfers has a conflict, it's not uncommon for them to say "Go ahead and tee off at 2:00, I'll join when I can," or " I have a meeting at 4:30, so I may have to take off early."  We can get very serious about our golf, but the main reason we play is for the camaraderie.  It's better to play 14 holes than none.  

I've never not finished a round because it took too long.  I'm not sure four hours is a realistic expectation for a round of golf, anyway. Most of mine took a little longer than that.

Twice I had to stop because my back went into painful spasms, and over many years, we stopped for lightening two or three times.

Once I had to stop after someone came to the course to inform me of a family emergency. That was before cell phones.

I've never stopped for heat.  I loved to play on hot, humid days because I felt looser on those days and I was riding anyway in more recent years.

I've never stopped over annoyance with playing partners, but I have to think that I just got lucky there.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:29 PM, Grand Stranded said:

Knowing GSwag personally, I can tell you that you're WAY off base.  "Common denominator"?  No crap!  These are HIS stories so obviously he would be the common denominator.  

What I can say about GSwag is while he is very forward with his opinions and he wears his heart on his sleeve, you also won't find a more passionate person about the game nor a more fun person to play with.  It's one thing to tee it up on a random day and hack around...  it's another to play in a sanctioned tournament and take 6 or more hours to play...  especially in heat indexes over 100*.  There is absolutely zero reason ANY round of golf should take more than 4 hours other than a complete lack of and total disrespect for the game, your playing companions, and other people on the course.   

I walked off during an Amateur event once because after hitting my shot OB and taking the appropriate drop, one guy in our group went ape s*** on me about how I was in violation of the rules, yada yada yada.  Keep in mind this was the guy who brought his annoying ass "trophy" wife with him and she didn't shut up the entire day...  she talked non-stop during everyone else's swing, she got out and wandered endlessly...  she drank to an excessive amount.  So after the 10th hole where my OB drop took place, I quietly grabbed my back and walked back in.  I simply wasn't going to put up with him or her for the back 9.  Funny thing is my cart partner (who was leading at the time) came in 2 holes later.  He was done with them as well.  Tournament promoter told us he had received previous complaints and this guy would be banned from future events.  We never saw that clown again.  

• Like 8

6 hours ago, ga_pike said:

Knowing GSwag personally, I can tell you that you're WAY off base.  "Common denominator"?  No crap!  These are HIS stories so obviously he would be the common denominator.  

What I can say about GSwag is while he is very forward with his opinions and he wears his heart on his sleeve, you also won't find a more passionate person about the game nor a more fun person to play with.  It's one thing to tee it up on a random day and hack around...  it's another to play in a sanctioned tournament and take 6 or more hours to play...  especially in heat indexes over 100*.  There is absolutely zero reason ANY round of golf should take more than 4 hours other than a complete lack of and total disrespect for the game, your playing companions, and other people on the course.   

I walked off during an Amateur event once because after hitting my shot OB and taking the appropriate drop, one guy in our group went ape s*** on me about how I was in violation of the rules, yada yada yada.  Keep in mind this was the guy who brought his annoying ass "trophy" wife with him and she didn't shut up the entire day...  she talked non-stop during everyone else's swing, she got out and wandered endlessly...  she drank to an excessive amount.  So after the 10th hole where my OB drop took place, I quietly grabbed my back and walked back in.  I simply wasn't going to put up with him or her for the back 9.  Funny thing is my cart partner (who was leading at the time) came in 2 holes later.  He was done with them as well.  Tournament promoter told us he had received previous complaints and this guy would be banned from future events.  We never saw that clown again.  

I went back and looked at the post I left. 

I think it’s safe to say I owe @GSwag an apology. The best excuse I can give him is that sometimes the written word doesn’t always come off the way it was intended. 

A couple of well placed emojis or lols could’ve helped. That said, he did come off a bit, let’s say, edgy? But whatever, I shouldn’t have said anything.

Either way I hope he sees this, and I think it’s pretty cool he has a friend like you to vouch for him.

• Like 3

I went back and looked at the post I left. 
I think it’s safe to say I owe [mention=71158]GSwag[/mention] an apology. The best excuse I can give him is that sometimes the written word doesn’t always come off the way it was intended. 
A couple of well placed emojis or lols could’ve helped. That said, he did come off a bit, let’s say, edgy? But whatever, I shouldn’t have said anything.
Either way I hope he sees this, and I think it’s pretty cool he has a friend like you to vouch for him.
All good brother.

Sent from my SM-G975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I totally understand and agree with you for leaving the course during a round. When I head for the course to play a practice round, or a round in general if there are too many cars in the parking lot and I can see foursome's on the first few holes I just get a couple of buckets and head for the range.  I'm a pretty quick player and enjoying playing alone. I really hate looking for a lost ball and it drives me nuts when someone will spend 5 minutes + looking for a $2 ball.

Like you, when I was with a group and play was slow my game suffered badly, but that was years ago and the main reason I play alone now. I do play on a weekly league, but that's only 9 holes and I can get thru that pretty much OK.

So I don't feel you did anything wrong as I'm sure I'd of done the same thing.

Chris

I've cut rounds short for the reasons mentioned above. Daylight, slow play, time, etc. I've had to cut one round short when I ran out of balls, that was a sad moment. 

But my most fond memory of cutting a round short occurred on a pleasant summer day in 2006. I was playing to a solid 23hdcp at the time, lots of power combined with no accuracy, good times. 

I Teed off on the Keystone Ranch course: 1 st hole is a straight away par 5, and a pure drive, a great 3wd, and a holed putt from probably ~20' and I walked off with an eagle. Maybe my first eagle ever. 

Hole 2, basically a parallel straight back par 4. I hit my second fairway in a row, my approach to about 2', tap in birdie. 

Hole 3, no idea, I walked off after 2. I was not about to ruin a eagle birdie start with 7 lost balls, 2 triple bogies and what ever else I was going to fumble that round. At a 23, I knew the math was strongly against me. It was like going to Vegas for a week and hitting a jackpot on the first day, you fly home. 

So, I walked off a course because of the best start to a round of my life. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll stop for: lightning, hail, exceptionally slow play (who won’t let you through) and people behind me who have no idea about course etiquette (constantly hit into you, drive their carts on the side of the green, etc.).

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1