TESTERS WANTED! ×

Joker

chisag

... I really can't remember the last time I walked out of a theater with absolutely zero reservations about giving a film 4 stars. There is always something I need to think about or something that causes me to deduct 1/2 star or more. The Joker is a masterpiece on every level: Story, acting, cinematography and soundtrack. Joaquin Phoenix should win the Best Performance Academy Award and all other awards for Performance. We saw it in Imax and I went in thinking it was unnecessary, but it deserves to be seen on the largest screen possible with an excellent sound system. 

... SPOILER ALERT: I wil not give anything away but be warned it is a disturbing, depressing and very, very dark film. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Nice ... I've been wanting to go see this.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

hmmmm ".....disturbing, depressing and very, very dark film" is not really on my list when I go to be entertained!

Pity as I'm a big Joaquin fan.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

... This is art at it's absolute highest form. It is an experience like very few others. That said, I posted the spoiler alert to warn people that do not want to see something so dark and depressing. It is if a comic book character was possible in the real world so it is not a comic book interpretation, which of course is what makes it so amazing and unique. As an actor I obviously see this on a different level and most of the time I also see enough darkness in the world and have seen my share of depressing subjects, so I certainly understand why some maybe even many will not want to see this film. 

It’s nice to hear you say this. Obviously, your work history gives you a lot of credibility in offering an opinion on a performance.

Heath Ledger’s portrayal was one of the most authentic and captivating performances I’ve ever seen. The cast had said repeatedly that it was intimidating to sit across him during scenes as he was so immersed into the role that it was difficult to separate reality from fiction.

Smart casting on Phillips’ part as Phoenix really is one of those artists who is durable and believable to fit this role.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

4 hours ago, bens197 said:

It’s nice to hear you say this. Obviously, your work history gives you a lot of credibility in offering an opinion on a performance.

Heath Ledger’s portrayal was one of the most authentic and captivating performances I’ve ever seen. The cast had said repeatedly that it was intimidating to sit across him during scenes as he was so immersed into the role that it was difficult to separate reality from fiction.

Smart casting on Phillips’ part as Phoenix really is one of those artists who is durable and believable to fit this role.

... Ben, taking it to another level I was lucky enough to be in The Dark Knight and the 2 days I shot, the make up people were a little shook up because Heath Ledger stayed in character as the Joker 24/7 so the line of fiction and reality was most definitely blurred. The Make Up and Hair people are usually the friendliest and most artsy people on a set and to scare them is really saying something. And I agree with you, that performance is a standard for others to hold going forward. I will not spoil anything for those that want to make up their own minds but they are 2 completely different interpretations in 2 completely different style films. 

Edited by chisag

25 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Ben, taking it to another level I was lucky enough to be in The Dark Knight and the 2 days I shot, the make up people were a little shook up because Heath Ledger stayed in character as the Joker 24/7 so the line of fiction and reality was most definitely blurred. The Make Up and Hair people are usually the friendliest and most artsy people on a set and to scare them is really saying something. And I agree with you, that performance is a standard for others to hold going forward. I will not spoil anything for those that want to make up their own minds but they are 2 completely different interpretations in 2 completely different style films. 

After watching The Dark Knight in its entirety, I could appreciate why he won an Oscar. Superhero films aren’t necessarily my favorite, yet Heath’s portrayal was a work of art. 

There’s this perception from the previews that this film casts a light on outcasts among society.  I’m excited to see it. 

Thanks for sharing. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I really didn't enjoy this film. I think it was an extremely poor attempt at providing a backstory for the Joker that woefully misunderstood the character.

I just felt uncomfortable the whole time, and not because the film managed to create any real tension throughout. I felt uncomfortable because I thought it handled its subject matter extremely poorly.

The film does some things well, most of these technical and behind the scenes. Makeup, costumes, production design, score, and cinematography were all excellent and Phoenix does immerse himself in the role and his performance was solid.

But this is a comic book movie in the most superfluous of ways. It barely draws on any source material other than some limited inspiration from a one-off graphic novel, and it really shows.

Phillips tries to convey a decent message that society needs to do more for those suffering from mental illnesses, but he also undermines that message continually with some of his choices. A certain needle-drop near the film's climax is exhibit a of this.

Of the three cinematic depictions of the Joker of this millenium (Ledger, Leto, and Phoenix), only Ledger was able to accurately portray the character. As good of an actor as Phoenix is, this was not an accurate representation of who the Joker is as a character.

The Joker is a psychopath who kills because he thinks its fun. He's an agent of chaos and the complete anti-thesis to Batman. This is why Ledger's Joker really is the gold standard.

Passing him off as a man suffering from undefined mental illnesses who only starts killing because society doesn't care about him and people beat him up is not how the Joker is meant to be presented.

I've typically enjoyed psychological thrillers, but the mismanagement of the character and the way Phillips handled the subject matter, which is all too fresh for many in the current climate of mass shootings, really did not sit well with me.

This was, to me, a Scorsese-wannabe type film that was delivered with the amount of nuance and care that you might expect from the guy who directed The Hangover movies, which is to say, there wasn't much nuance or care put into handling its subject matter in a responsible fashion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Were you one of the SWAT driving the armoured truck carrying Harvey Dent? Specifically the one who comments "that is not good" when the helicopter gets taken down?

Seems to be a good film. Just not "the Joker". 

As a huge comic nerd in the 80s-90s, it seems to me a lot of comic turned movie scripts seem to go along this path of veering away from the comic storyline. DC moreso. Justice League and Batman v Superman were such a warped combinations of several plots into 120minutes. 

For comic geeks, the Joker is just as iconic and "sacred" as Batman, Superman, and Luthor. DC destroys another one.

Edited by xxio

... Art is subjective. Personally I never understand how some go into any art form with pre conceived ideas on "how it is supposed to be". I listened to Lee Childs Jack Reacher books on road tips and really enjoyed them. I saw the Reacher films and really enjoyed them as well. Books and films are 2 completely different art forms and may or may not be similar. Books do not need a star so describing Reacher as 6'5" and 250 is easy to do. Finding a bankable 6'5" 250 star that can be financially successful at the box office is not as easy. There is a saying in theater "leave your cloak of disbelieve at the door" meaning give up any pre conceived ideas and go into the show with an open mind. I read quite a few comments from loyal Jack Reacher book fans that were furious the shorter than 5'10" Tom Cruise played Reacher. Most never even saw the film but hated it sight unseen. A shame because Cruise captured the essence of Reacher even though he is not anywhere near the right size of the book character. 

... That said, again art is subjective and if you wanna hate Reacher films because they aren't true to the book that is certainly your right and I would never say you are wrong. Same applies to Joker. My son is a huge comic book fan and Batman is his favorite. He absolutely loved Joker because he viewed it as a stand alone film, his opinion not predicated on the comic books, earlier films or his own ideas of how the Joker may have started out. Again, I do not post this in rebuttal to those of you that either didn't like Joker or don't want to see it because it isn't true to the comic books. I post it to let you know if you can view this film on it's own merits as if you knew nothing about the Joker, it is an amazing film experience. 

To each his own.

I react the same way when any movies are way off. If someone wants to do that storyline, use a different or an original character. It is a disservice to the originators of the character. 

If at least it was close I wouldn't mind.

I say the same things when Shakespeare plots using Shakespeare characters go way off as well.

Re: Reacher, I never read the books but enjoyed the movies. I heard the criticism as to size but aside from that reviews say the character was true to Reacher. However as you put it, choices were made for the sake of the box office.  

It has been mentioned Joker is truly just a violent remorseless maniac, this film does not depict him as such. There lies the problem vs Reacher being the wrong size.

Edited by xxio

Expecting people to go into a movie that is adapting a character that has existed for going on 80 years in print and other media without any pre-conceived notions on the character is just not possible. Nor should they have to.

I'm all for reimagined takes on things, but the most crucial part of any reimagining is that it maintains the essence of the original. Joker does not maintain the essence of its character.

If a filmmaker isn't going to stay true to the essence of one of the most iconic villains in the history of comic books, he shouldn't be using that character in the first place. Create an original character instead.

I'm not advocating for picture perfect depictions of any character adapted from the written word, but I also don't think it's too much to ask that if someone wants to adapt a character that they do everything they can to capture the character's essence.

Tom Cruise works as Jack Reacher in those movies because they capture the essence of the character. Unless a character's apperance is a defining characteristic of who they are, I don't expect every adaptation to be picture perfect. All that matters is that the depiction of the character be true to its source. This is where I feel Joker failed as a comic book movie.

But that's not the only reason I disliked the film. This film easily could have been made as an original story entirely, with no connection to any comic books whatsoever, and I still would not have enjoyed it because I truly disliked how it handled its subject matter.

These are, of course, just my opinions and I know many have enjoyed the film. It's not my intention to take away from their enjoyment of it either, I'm just not one of them.

Comic book movies are very near and dear to me. One of my hobbies is writing for a comic book blog. I spend a lot of time with these movies and just wanted to share my feelings on the film.

In Field of Dreams, they had the great Joe Jackson batting right handed.

Eight Men Out got it right, though.

I hate sloppy background research.  In the Showtime series Ray Donovan, they not only don't pronounce "Donovan" as it's pronounced in Boston, but they even pronounced the word "aunt" as "ant"  People born in South Boston might not have the most pleasant accent in the world, but they pronounce "aunt" as Queen Elizabeth herself would pronounce it.

43 minutes ago, NiftyNiblick said:

In Field of Dreams, they had the great Joe Jackson batting right handed.

Eight Men Out got it right, though.

I hate sloppy background research.  In the Showtime series Ray Donovan, they not only don't pronounce "Donovan" as it's pronounced in Boston, but they even pronounced the word "aunt" as "ant"  People born in South Boston might not have the most pleasant accent in the world, but they pronounce "aunt" as Queen Elizabeth herself would pronounce it.

Krakatoa WEST of Java! nuff said!

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Thanks we saw the preview when we went to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and were considering this one - should be our next date night.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm sure this is a great movie - cinematography , acting, etc. However, I'm not a fan of dark movies - so I'll take a pass on this one. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

9 hours ago, revkev said:

Thanks we saw the preview when we went to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and were considering this one - should be our next date night.

... My two favorite films for 2019. 👍   I am not sure I have ever seen a film get such polarizing reviews from both critics and the public. Not many 2/3 star reviews, just 4 and 0 stars. That in and of itself tells you something. It has been several days and it is still pretty active in my consciousness, and that is also pretty rare. I look forward to your thoughts on the movie. 

Edited by chisag

I've really been looking forward to this.  @chisag, thanks for the review.  I love polarizing movies.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

... I really can't remember the last time I walked out of a theater with absolutely zero reservations about giving a film 4 stars. There is always something I need to think about or something that causes me to deduct 1/2 star or more. The Joker is a masterpiece on every level: Story, acting, cinematography and soundtrack. Joaquin Phoenix should win the Best Performance Academy Award and all other awards for Performance. We saw it in Imax and I went in thinking it was unnecessary, but it deserves to be seen on the largest screen possible with an excellent sound system. 

... SPOILER ALERT: I wil not give anything away but be warned it is a disturbing, depressing and very, very dark film. 

I haven't seen it yet but my kids have and two of my sons said almost exactly what you did. They haven't been able to stop talking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Charli said:

we talking clockwork orange type movie? If so I’m in love the weird twisted dark movies. I want to feel something after watching a movie. I felt it after watching ledger perform his version of the joker. That’s for sure 

... Clockwork Orange is in a category by itself in my opinion. I can say the same thing for Joker. So I would not compare the two and without giving too much away, the lead characters are coming from complete opposite circumstances in life. I can assure you that you will most definitely feel something all movie long and as I stated already, it stuck with me long after most movies have faded from my consciousness. 

• 3 weeks later...

Had the opportunity to watch it in the last 2 days.

I found myself absolutely sucked into his world, I was living it thru him. I found the acting by everyone quite exceptional, the Directing took it to another level again.

Yes, it was dark and uncomfortable viewing, but also compelling, not my typical movie of choice but I didnt want it to end, I wanted more!

I'm going to watch it again in the next 2 days.

As good of an actor as Phoenix is, this was not an accurate representation of who the Joker is as a character.

The Joker is a psychopath who kills because he thinks its fun. He's an agent of chaos and the complete anti-thesis to Batman. This is why Ledger's Joker really is the gold standard.

Passing him off as a man suffering from undefined mental illnesses who only starts killing because society doesn't care about him and people beat him up is not how the Joker is meant to be presented.

I've typically enjoyed psychological thrillers, but the mismanagement of the character and the way Phillips handled the subject matter, which is all too fresh for many in the current climate of mass shootings, really did not sit well with me.

Wow. I came to the opposite conclusion. The movie explains specifically how he became a murder loving psychopath who kills for fun — that’s the main thrust of the plot— and did it in a way that seemed somewhat real/plausible/current by placing him in the current climate of insane mass shootings. He wasn’t “passed off” as a man with undefined mental illnesses; that’s a core part of the Joker character! Frequent stays at Arkham Asylum as criminally insane is kind of a big part of the Joker story. Even Ledger’s Joker had undefined mental illness—if you’ll recall when he is first identified it’s noted that he had previously been in Arkham but it doesn’t say why, which is... the plot relying on undefined mental illness.

I kinda knew from the get-go that this was going to be a Talented Mr. Ripley take on the Joker, getting you to sympathize with the main character before he really twists off into evil, so I was prepared for the darkness of the film. That is, I knew the trick already so I didn’t get tricked! I think that’s what people find so dark and disturbing about the film more than anything else: the fact that they emotionally invested their sympathy in the character... who turns out to be EVIL. You root for the poor underdog to succeed and then he does but... “oh crap I was rooting for evil!” It’s a great plot device. Used in classic flicks like The Shining. The Godfather. Citizen Kane. Anyway it’s the opposite of redemption, where you start with a bad character who becomes good (like the original Star Wars trilogy). Though in the Joker he doesn’t “become” crazy and evil, but finds out this is what he really was all along.

And the fact that you follow only the main character for the whole movie—there’s no side characters or side plots to follow, you’re always with Joaquin— that is a movie making challenge and it is really pulled off well. Kudos to the director.

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

@chisag I finally saw Joker...I loved it.

This is a fantastic take on the alienation and helplessness that one feels as the world seems to escape their grasp.

Joaquin Phoenix was a wonderful choice and brought his own truth to the role.

[mention=68277]bluesmandan76[/mention] I also agree with your take. This was very well executed.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

[mention=291]chisag[/mention] I finally saw Joker...I loved it.

This is a fantastic take on the alienation and helplessness that one feels as the world seems to escape their grasp.

Joaquin Phoenix was a wonderful choice and brought his own truth to the role.
[mention=68277]bluesmandan76[/mention] I also agree with your take. This was very well executed.

If i can piggyback on your “alienation and helplessness” line, the movie also serves as an interesting critique of existentialism and existential nihilism. The way he transitions from not being sure he even existed and not knowing who he was to finding his purpose and “real” identity — as a murderer... the world was harsh and didn’t make sense so he just followed his heart and did what made him happy, defining his own life, despite what others thought. Good advice, right?! Oops. But isn’t that what everyone says today?

[stands up and gets on soapbox]: I despise existentialism and nihilism and am glad when anything critiques these horrible worldviews. Every idiot college philosophy professor seems to think these empty evil philosophies are wonderful, even though it is the proliferation of these views that has led to many of our current societal problems. They claim these views are liberating, but they only “work” if everyone around you is still living with a somewhat unified worldview and morality. When everyone around you turns existential & nihilistic too then chaos ensues, society falls apart and institutions crumble because everyone is subjectively defining their own purpose & reality - and that is philosophical, religious, and moral anarchy. [Gets off soapbox]

I appreciate movies that have an intentional philosophical purpose... something deeper to say about the way people think or the way our culture understands (or misunderstands) things. Sadly most movies unintentionally (and some very intentionally) promote bad philosophies instead of critiquing them.

I think many people find Joker too dark in part because they themselves have adopted an existential & nihilistic worldview and the movie dethrones that view as empty and absurd without supplying a better alternative worldview to replace what it has so harshly criticized.

Not that people intellectually grasp this when they watch a movie; they just feel the darkness of the way the character is thinking and changing. But the fact that they were able to sympathize with the character means they were at some level thinking and feeling like him, and that is disturbing to them.

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

If i can piggyback on your “alienation and helplessness” line, the movie also serves as an interesting critique of existentialism and existential nihilism. The way he transitions from not being sure he even existed and not knowing who he was to finding his purpose and “real” identity — as a murderer... the world was harsh and didn’t make sense so he just followed his heart and did what made him happy, defining his own life, despite what others thought. Good advice, right?! Oops. But isn’t that what everyone says today?

[stands up and gets on soapbox]: I despise existentialism and nihilism and am glad when anything critiques these horrible worldviews. Every idiot college philosophy professor seems to think these empty evil philosophies are wonderful, even though it is the proliferation of these views that has led to many of our current societal problems. They claim these views are liberating, but they only “work” if everyone around you is still living with a somewhat unified worldview and morality. When everyone around you turns existential & nihilistic too then chaos ensues, society falls apart and institutions crumble because everyone is subjectively defining their own purpose & reality - and that is philosophical, religious, and moral anarchy. [Gets off soapbox]

I appreciate movies that have an intentional philosophical purpose... something deeper to say about the way people think or the way our culture understands (or misunderstands) things. Sadly most movies unintentionally (and some very intentionally) promote bad philosophies instead of critiquing them.

I think many people find Joker too dark in part because they themselves have adopted an existential & nihilistic worldview and the movie dethrones that view as empty and absurd without supplying a better alternative worldview to replace what it has so harshly criticized.

Not that people intellectually grasp this when they watch a movie; they just feel the darkness of the way the character is thinking and changing. But the fact that they were able to sympathize with the character means they were at some level thinking and feeling like him, and that is disturbing to them.

That’s a pretty fair take. I am not going to debate for a couple reasons.

1) don’t necessarily believe I can express my true thoughts via type.
2) I like to keep my discussions apolitical and stray from contentious debate.

What I will say is that I am fascinated by the theory of helplessness and isolationism as a curator of those who are mass murderers and shooters.

It’s not to say that all who suffer are going to become murderers; rather, to say that if you look into those who are committing these crimes, they share a common bond. These thoughts and beliefs that the world has abandoned them and nobody is willing to acknowledge; that they’re out of your reach. These thoughts manifesting themselves and enabling extreme behavior.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV