Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Joker

chisag

That’s a pretty fair take. I am not going to debate for a couple reasons.

1) don’t necessarily believe I can express my true thoughts via type.
2) I like to keep my discussions apolitical and stray from contentious debate.

What I will say is that I am fascinated by the theory of helplessness and isolationism as a curator of those who are mass murderers and shooters.

It’s not to say that all who suffer are going to become murderers; rather, to say that if you look into those who are committing these crimes, they share a common bond. These thoughts and beliefs that the world has abandoned them and nobody is willing to acknowledge; that they’re out of your reach. These thoughts manifesting themselves and enabling extreme behavior.

Yes indeed. And I think one of the questions the movie intends to raise is to what degree is society (we/us) responsible for these people and their acts? In Joker it is quite clear that everyone — from the bullies to the mother to the father to the counselor to the show host — no one cared except a figment of his imagination, and so they all shared some degree of culpability in his metamorphosis. One gets the sense that if at any point someone had reached out to him in genuine friendship to notice him, pay attention to him, care for him then his descent from despair into madness would have stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Yes indeed. And I think one of the questions the movie intends to raise is to what degree is society (we/us) responsible for these people and their acts? In Joker it is quite clear that everyone — from the bullies to the mother to the father to the counselor to the show host — no one cared except a figment of his imagination, and so they all shared some degree of culpability in his metamorphosis. One gets the sense that if at any point someone had reached out to him in genuine friendship to notice him, pay attention to him, care for him then his descent from despair into madness would have stopped.

Absolutely.

Be kind, smile at a stranger. Hang up your phone at the checkout...things like that.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

16 hours ago, bens197 said:

Be kind, smile at a stranger. Hang up your phone at the checkout...things like that.

you have to be a certain age to still use this term- a friends daughter asked me once what I meant by 'hanging up the phone" as kids these days only have cell phones or click to disconnect land lines. 

Made me feel a hundred years old 😂

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

you have to be a certain age to still use this term- a friends daughter asked me once what I meant by 'hanging up the phone" as kids these days only have cell phones or click to disconnect land lines. 
Made me feel a hundred years old 

Yup...old soul trapped in a 38 year old body

I’ll grab a Kleenex for you right after I make a quick xerox copy
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

On 11/19/2019 at 8:28 AM, bluesmandan76 said:

If i can piggyback on your “alienation and helplessness” line, the movie also serves as an interesting critique of existentialism and existential nihilism. The way he transitions from not being sure he even existed and not knowing who he was to finding his purpose and “real” identity — as a murderer... the world was harsh and didn’t make sense so he just followed his heart and did what made him happy, defining his own life, despite what others thought. Good advice, right?! Oops. But isn’t that what everyone says today?

[stands up and gets on soapbox]: I despise existentialism and nihilism and am glad when anything critiques these horrible worldviews. Every idiot college philosophy professor seems to think these empty evil philosophies are wonderful, even though it is the proliferation of these views that has led to many of our current societal problems. They claim these views are liberating, but they only “work” if everyone around you is still living with a somewhat unified worldview and morality. When everyone around you turns existential & nihilistic too then chaos ensues, society falls apart and institutions crumble because everyone is subjectively defining their own purpose & reality - and that is philosophical, religious, and moral anarchy. [Gets off soapbox]

I appreciate movies that have an intentional philosophical purpose... something deeper to say about the way people think or the way our culture understands (or misunderstands) things. Sadly most movies unintentionally (and some very intentionally) promote bad philosophies instead of critiquing them.

I think many people find Joker too dark in part because they themselves have adopted an existential & nihilistic worldview and the movie dethrones that view as empty and absurd without supplying a better alternative worldview to replace what it has so harshly criticized.

Not that people intellectually grasp this when they watch a movie; they just feel the darkness of the way the character is thinking and changing. But the fact that they were able to sympathize with the character means they were at some level thinking and feeling like him, and that is disturbing to them.

I will echo a similar sentiment and say that this is a very interesting take on the movie.  I was not expecting to log onto MGS today and engage with a point on philosophical worldviews and how they intertwine with today's culture.  Nor did I anticipate that I would enjoy reading about such.  Kudos to you. Now I have to see the movie!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

• 4 weeks later...
I will echo a similar sentiment and say that this is a very interesting take on the movie.  I was not expecting to log onto MGS today and engage with a point on philosophical worldviews and how they intertwine with today's culture.  Nor did I anticipate that I would enjoy reading about such.  Kudos to you. Now I have to see the movie!

So have you seen it yet?

Not yet.  Only had one chance to go to the theater in the past month and my lady vetoed seeing The Joker.  Hopefully soon.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

... SAG Award nominees released and Joker is up for:

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Huh. The first one, sure, but the second... I didn’t realize there were so many good stunts in it. Don’t remember it that way. Have to pay attention to that next time.