Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Club head scratcher

LeftyHawk

Here in Michigan, as the season draws to an end I'm faced with a delimma. I started the season with a Ping 400 driver, i10 irons. Was doing pretty good, averaging in the low 80's. In July decided to upgrade my clubs and got a full set of Ping G410's. My thought was changing to a game improvement iron would, in turn, "improve" my game. Well....it did just the opposite. My game crashed hard. After talking with several members I hit the range. Long story short I was able to improve somewhat. Yesterday I played with the G400/i10's. WOW!!! It was a real eye opener. The 410's, my best was mid 90's, yesterday I shot an 81.

Not here's my question....WHY?

I only played the i10's for a few months as did I with the 410's, but the i10's are so much more comfortable and feel so much better than the 410's. And I'm trying to understand why?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Edited by LeftyHawk

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

The second any doubt crept into your mind with the G410’s you set yourself up for disappointment.

Could have been one bad shot that set it all off.

I don’t give myself the chance to think like that. Testing these Blueprints I could have been intimidated by them, but I told myself I am going to play the best ever with them... and I wasn’t far from it.

Golf is a psychological game. Anything can throw you off.

My best advise is to give them G410’s another go with the mindset of “I own you club” and see what happens.

If anything else it will only boost your confidence with your game in general.

It’s probably mental. If you think you play better with certain clubs you will talk yourself into it. Otherwise not. And the other factor is that one set of clubs feels better to you and you just hit them better.

I’ve changed out multiple wedges from my bag because I find something that I hit better.

I’ve also got several clubs in my bag that I’ll only hit if I have to because I don’t trust them. So what came first with those clubs? The lack of trust, or me hitting a couple of bad shots with them and opting to avoid hitting them.

Find what is most confortable for you and go with it. And for me, once I buy a set of irons they’ll stay in my bag for a decade. Stick with what works and stop thinking the next new release is for you. It’s all marketing bs mostly so buy a set of irons and wear them out for at least 2-3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

GSwag

Exactly what I was thinking which is why I'm kicking myself for buying the new ones.

Far and Sure......

I'm curious what the shafts are on each. You could be in the perfect shaft with the old ones and have a terrible fit with the new ones. The more forgiving clubhead might not make up for a very inconsistent delivery with a bad shaft (for you).  

As the others said, though, it could be in your head. It's crazy what that blob of cells in your head is capable of. 

Edit: I am referring to all human brains as a blob of cells, not singling yours out!

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

romeopapazulu, the i10's have a stiff shaft the 410's have a regular flex shaft, I wanted stiff but the Ping guy told me my numbers were better with a regular, but it felt mushy to me. I should have pushed for the stiff shaft, but I did't. The i10's feel more solid to me and are more accurate from 100 yards and in. Another thing that bothers me about the 410's is the sole. It seems too large to me which is probably leads to the mental side of things concerning the 410's.I have already replaced the 410 wedges with my old wedges, the bounce was too much for me.

For the time being I'm going back to the i10's and try to process why I felt it necessary to get the 410's. Bottom line is my game is much better with the i10's.

Chris

Far and Sure......

romeopapazulu, the i10's have a stiff shaft the 410's have a regular flex shaft, I wanted stiff but the Ping guy told me my numbers were better with a regular, but it felt mushy to me. I should have pushed for the stiff shaft, but I did't. The i10's feel more solid to me and are more accurate from 100 yards and in. Another thing that bothers me about the 410's is the sole. It seems too large to me which is probably leads to the mental side of things concerning the 410's.I have already replaced the 410 wedges with my old wedges, the bounce was too much for me.
For the time being I'm going back to the i10's and try to process why I felt it necessary to get the 410's. Bottom line is my game is much better with the i10's.
Chris

Yeah. Shaft difference plays a major role between heck yeah and oh no. I originally had stiff shafts in my Ping Gs and hated them. Swapped out for regular flex and butter. In your case stick with stiff.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Sounds like a good winter project, reshaft the 410's......

Far and Sure......

In addition to the shaft it could be degree of offset, lofts, and lies, delivered angles, weighting of the clubs, etc, etc. Could be a myriad of things. Those i10s look a little more compact than the i410 too.
I didn’t play Ping i210 worth a crap, but the i500s and I get along GREAT! So many factors as to why, and me being an amateur is part of that difference too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Some people do hit a more compact head better. A big part of it is turf interaction - you mentioned the sole - that, as I'm sure you know, impacts turf interaction so much. Golf is certainly a mental game but having the right club in your hands is huge - it's what MGS is all about :)

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I totally agree with everyone here. the 410's in their current state are a bad fit. I'm going to reach out to Ping and see what can be done. I don't believe it's just one thing, but a combination of factors that lead to the 410's in their current state not feeling right.

I'm sure there are some phycology reasons but I really was hoping the 410's would improve my game. I can't tell you how many buckets I've hit on the range, it has improved the i10's though. With the i10's I'm zinging the 7 iron 150 carry now.

Far and Sure......

Turf interaction is key. I have Cobra F8’s and Hogan PTx’s, both with Recoil shafts. The Hogan’s have a beveled leading edge whereas the Cobra’s don’t. That provides more glide with the turf rather than digging and yields a much better shot.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Game improvement is a misleading category. That’s a sales term and guarantees nothing.

only way to improve game is moving dirt.

it sounds like a bad fit in shaft, weight, etc with the g410s

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1