TESTERS WANTED! ×

What's the most fragile part of your game?

Fragility  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most fragile part of your game?

• Driving
    • Approach
    • Short game
    • Putting

I'm not looking here for the worst part of your game, but the part of your game that needs the most regular maintenance to be at an acceptable level for you.

In my case, I'm a terrible driver of the ball. That might be the worst part of my game. But my short game is definitely the most fragile part of my golf. When I get a chance to work on chips and pitches, I can be pretty decent, but absent regular practice, I fall apart quickly.

How about you?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I would say putting is the most fragile part of my game. I have noticed this year that even some putting on the carpet around the house helped me keep a consistent putting stroke from round to round.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Definitely putting! Driver and woods are almost on autopilot - no thinking necessary just walk up and hit the ball. Do I always succeed? No, however it doesn't take much to recover.

Pitching and chipping not quite as successful but as long as I'm practicing it reasonably successful.

Putting? Doesn't take much for it to fall apart even though I do practice. Some days I'm spot on reading greens other days I feel like a novice - first time out. So I guess I'd classify this as the most fragile part of my game.

Good question - can't wait to see other responses.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I would say the short game in general. I tell my wife often it's easier to hit the ball toward the green from a distance and once you get closer, the shots get more difficult. The short game is all about touch and finesse, and that is something that takes regular practice to keep sharp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I put approach.  Short game is coming together and I am happy with tee shots and putting.   The quality of my approach shots seems to be driving my game and isn't as consistent as I would like.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 hours ago, bens197 said:

Between my two ears, the mental game.

Totally agree! 

MPR - this is an item that could be appropriate on the survey. But w/r/t to the four items given, I also selected short game.

I do very frequently practice my putting, as I have a mat set up in the basement always ready so it's easy and convenient, but I've found I can putt decent enough .. well, after the first hole, anyway! .. without practice.

But short game touch and finesse ... these only seem possible with constant maintenance. I'm fortunate to have garage space available where I've set up a mat and a net; it is possible to do full swing practice there .. which I will from time to time .. but I definitely use it the most for wedge shots of differing types (eg. high / low, partial / full, etc.).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

16 hours ago, cnosil said:

I put approach.  Short game is coming together and I am happy with tee shots and putting.   The quality of my approach shots seems to be driving my game and isn't as consistent as I would like.  

Same with me.  Off the tee is pretty steady.  Short game and putting can be good or what I would call average, but I would not call either fragile.  To me, fragile means it can be totally lost for a round or more.  Of course some days are better than others.

However, I can really screw up a great drive with an abysmal next shot (or two... 🙄), and then I have to rely on my short game to save my score, and that's not a recipe for a good round.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Put me down for approach play as well. If I don't get regular play the location of where my swing bottoms out and lifting up on all full swings shots becomes the norm. The good news is that because of this I can scramble pretty well and while i may not always be on with the driver, it never really totally leaves at any level.

The issue is approach play, hell two weeks ago I was playing great golf, I was 5 over on the front, even on the back standing on the 16th tee. Drove it good, and then lost the will to live. No swing with irons, double, double, double finish to shoot plus 11. Everything else was solid and then... gone. I hate it.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I always score best when my irons are on.  If I can't hit greens, then my scores go up.  It's really as simple as that.  The driving, chipping and putting are all typically the same usually.  I am forever working on my irons, because I know if my swing plane is off then my irons won't fly the way I want them to.  The other parts of the game I can adjust mid round.  But if I get off with the irons for whatever reason I typically have no chance at fixing it mid round.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

My short game is usually one of my better elements, however if I don’t play frequently enough, my touch goes AWOL. Distance control on chips and pitches is the first thing to go without regular maintenance. I can usually count on my irons and putter to show up, but the few greens I miss can turn ugly if I haven’t played enough. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Long second shots especially 5 par that require hybrids, long irons or fareway woods. Drives me burst sometimes.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 10/9/2019 at 8:15 PM, bens197 said:

Between my two ears, the mental game. I can break par and I can shoot 90.

That was a big part of my answer, but it's connected to driving. Asking for the most 'Fragile' part of my game, it has to be what poor driving does to me mentally during a round. It gets really  frustrating on bad driving days when I feel like I'm hitting my irons really well but I'm not able to give myself a chance to take advantage of that during the round.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

I expected responses so far to be putting. but it seems like... Driver?

Fragile to me seems to imply that some part of my game is hanging on by a thread and could snap at any moment. But I get where MPR is coming from. I think I've got a pretty solid game all around. But like we all know well there is usually some aspect that's not as sharp on any given day. In the spirit of the question asked I'd have to say being faced with a long forced carry with my 4i. High risk and medium reward. There are many times on my home course where instead of pulling my 4i on a certain long par four with a pond fronting the green; I opt to lay up and then try/hope I can get up and down for par. It's probably a 40% proposition most of the time from about 90-100 yds. So therefore me and my 4i become a fragile combination and I'm pretty much conceding bogie. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

That was a big part of my answer, but it's connected to driving. Asking for the most 'Fragile' part of my game, it has to be what poor driving does to me mentally during a round. It gets really  frustrating on bad driving days when I feel like I'm hitting my irons really well but I'm not able to give myself a chance to take advantage of that during the round.

For the record, I selected approach. Put a driver in my hands and I feel like King Kong. Put a 6 iron in my hand and I have little confidence; I try to steer it.

Short game for me is my favorite. I love being creative with my shots. Putting, meh, some days goos some days bad but never terrible.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Probably my putting.  I used to be a great putter because I practiced all the time but now I never practice but in my mind still think that Im a great putter and I get angry at myself when I dont make everything.

I know that I shouldnt be so hard on myself because even tour pros only make about 44% of their putts from 10 feet but even still, I expect myself to make every putt inside of 10 feet.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I'll say the Mental Game is #1. Making bad decisions on the course costs me more than anything else. And, it's not as simple as you think! I am good with trouble shots which makes me try some shots that I really shouldn't try. But most of my lost strokes are by cutting normal shots too close to trouble. Clipping trees, being blocked on my next shot cause I want that extra 10 yds that REALLY didn't matter and rolling just into a trap or rough or water cause, again, I thought I needed to get as close as possible. Convincing myself to give trouble a WIDE ENOUGH berth costs me more strokes than anything.

BT

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

I would say it was/is my 3h.  My other hybrids do what I expect and desire, but for whatever reason my 3 hybrid does not play well unless I give it a lot of ongoing care and love.  Lately, I have not even been carrying it on some rounds where a "soft" 4h can get the same results.  

The other fragile part of my game is loading the rightsize of the body for a good hip turn lest I hack a hook.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Definitely driving for me.  On days when I can keep the ball on the planet, I can shoot in the low/mid 70s.  Approach shots aren't so hard if they're reasonably short and from the fairway.  Golf's much tougher when you're punching out of the forest or re-teeing your third.  There are days I'll hit 5i off the tee, because that's the longest thing I can keep on the golf course.  When I play a golf course with some width (unlike most courses around here, hacked out of forests), it's so much easier for me.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good laugh at my options but backed off and thougt how great of a questin this is. 

Approach and short game can suffer but in general seldom does it ever cost me much. 

I was going back and forth between putter and driver. I get up and down at a high  % usually and when Idont its my putting from 3-5'. Seldom muktiple rounds in a row. Seldom 3 putt. 

I put driver since I dont ususlly carry one. I use 3w or 5w off the tee and hybrids. If I dont get off the box well, its tough for me to score. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Has to be iron play. If I’m hitting greens in regulation, even though I may not putt well, I’ll still shoot high 70s low 80s. But as soon as I start missing greens, the worst part of my game, chipping, then has to come in to play more often, therefore increasing my scores significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Pretty even split between my wallet and my schedule 😉 

Having enough time and money to play and practice is tough... and that doesn't even include new equipment!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

Great question.  I chose short game, specifically short chips, as my most troubling aspect of the game.   I practice a lot and generally do decent, controlling trajectory and distance with clean strikes.  On the course, however, my brain disengages and, despite knowing exactly HOW to chip, my hands suddenly get a mind of their own and it's ugly.  Not every shot, but frequently enough to be a problem for me. 20-75 yards aren't typically a problem -- it's those pesky short shots that get me.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Long approach shot for me. In particular a fairway wood.............four or seven, it doesn't make a difference, they both hate me.

Driver: Ping G400 10.5* - stock Alta CB shaft

FW:  Ping G25 7W - Accra RT50 DYMATCH 2.0

Hybrid: Callaway Rogue X 23* - Accra 162H M2

Irons: Callaway Big Bertha 5 - PW - Steelfiber i95

Wedges: Muira 56* K - Steelfiber i110

Satori 52* - KB Tour

Putter: Ping Ketsch Cadence

Ball: Snell MTB-X

My second or third shot into greens needs to be more consistent, I am either spraying it left or right or short.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag