Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Chisag Tip Of The Day #11

… The ideal swing is a combination of Power and Speed. Rory Mcllory is a perfect example. A big shoulder turn with fast hips create an unwinding of Power culminating with his arms and hands moving very fast creating Speed. And pound for pound I am not sure anyone hits it farther or as accurately. But Rory is very unique and one of the best players ever to play this game and his swing cannot be copied by most, if not all amateurs. Ok, that out of the way I want to concentrate on how you can maximize your ability and most of you will be surprised to know, it isn’t with Power.

… I played with a guy today that turned his trunk, chest and shoulders so violently, his arms and hands could never catch up. He explained to me he had a lesson and his instructor was a Body Oriented teacher and believed the best way to swing was not with your arms and hands but with the body. Turn away and turn back thru the ball as quickly as possible with the arms and hands along for the ride. While that may work for a few, I have never liked that thinking and here is why. You can hit a golf ball effectively just using Speed. You cannot hit the ball effectively just using Power. Look at an Iron Byron hitting machine. There is a hinging duplicating the hinging of the club from the hands to the head creating Speed. There is no turning of the machine to create Power. Most of you have seen golfers that have lost the use of their legs, strapped to a golf cart and only using their arms and hands to hit the golf ball and they can hit it surprisingly far. One of my favorite drills to illustrate this was having a student stand with their feet together, legs locked and using no hip turn they would cock the club and uncock thru impact. Start slowly and keep swinging faster until you feel that you are losing control. I had more than a few students hit the ball farther this way than they did with their full swing!!!

… Of course the ideal swing is a combination of Power and Speed. The body supplies the Power, but that comes from a slow build from the ground up and if you apply too much Power with your hips or chest or shoulders, you will always struggle with the kinetic chain ending with your club head losing instead of gaining Speed. I would always rather see more Speed and less Power, because most cannot apply Power correctly. So next time you are at the range or warming up before your round, try my feet together drill and you might be surprised at how far you can hit the ball just using your arms and hands if you hinge and unhinge thru impact.

… For most am’s, using your body less than you are using now will result in increased distance and accuracy. Men especially use their chest and shoulders for power in many different ways their entire lives, so it is natural to attempt to use them in the golf swing. But as we all know, much of golf is really unnatural, or at least seems that way. Hit down to make the ball go up being a perfect example, something some players never accomplish. So unfortunately many over use their trunk and struggle with the golf swing. My suggestion is get Speed right before attempting to add Power. Just focus on the hinging and unhinging of the club picturing Iron Byron, then slowly start adding more and more hip and shoulder rotation with the same hinging and unhinging of the club thru impact. I can’t tell you how many swings improved dramatically when the body began playing a complementary role, not the main role in hitting a golf ball. I hope this helps some of you!

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

..and yet another GREAT tip!! Thanks for that info!

For short game shots, I was taught to use less arms / more body (torso) rotation ... what's your view on this?
(- for this example let's just assume a basic short range pitch shot; no special lie, trouble, etc.)

(> If I were near Chicago I'd be throwing money at you to help me with my swing & game!!!)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

… The ideal swing is a combination of Power and Speed. Rory Mcllory is a perfect example. A big shoulder turn with fast hips create an unwinding of Power culminating with his arms and hands moving very fast creating Speed. And pound for pound I am not sure anyone hits it farther or as accurately. But Rory is very unique and one of the best players ever to play this game and his swing cannot be copied by most, if not all amateurs. Ok, that out of the way I want to concentrate on how you can maximize your ability and most of you will be surprised to know, it isn’t with Power.

… I played with a guy today that turned his trunk, chest and shoulders so violently, his arms and hands could never catch up. He explained to me he had a lesson and his instructor was a Body Oriented teacher and believed the best way to swing was not with your arms and hands but with the body. Turn away and turn back thru the ball as quickly as possible with the arms and hands along for the ride. While that may work for a few, I have never liked that thinking and here is why. You can hit a golf ball effectively just using Speed. You cannot hit the ball effectively just using Power. Look at an Iron Byron hitting machine. There is a hinging duplicating the hinging of the club from the hands to the head creating Speed. There is no turning of the machine to create Power. Most of you have seen golfers that have lost the use of their legs, strapped to a golf cart and only using their arms and hands to hit the golf ball and they can hit it surprisingly far. One of my favorite drills to illustrate this was having a student stand with their feet together, legs locked and using no hip turn they would cock the club and uncock thru impact. Start slowly and keep swinging faster until you feel that you are losing control. I had more than a few students hit the ball farther this way than they did with their full swing!!!

… Of course the ideal swing is a combination of Power and Speed. The body supplies the Power, but that comes from a slow build from the ground up and if you apply too much Power with your hips or chest or shoulders, you will always struggle with the kinetic chain ending with your club head losing instead of gaining Speed. I would always rather see more Speed and less Power, because most cannot apply Power correctly. So next time you are at the range or warming up before your round, try my feet together drill and you might be surprised at how far you can hit the ball just using your arms and hands if you hinge and unhinge thru impact.

… For most am’s, using your body less than you are using now will result in increased distance and accuracy. Men especially use their chest and shoulders for power in many different ways their entire lives, so it is natural to attempt to use them in the golf swing. But as we all know, much of golf is really unnatural, or at least seems that way. Hit down to make the ball go up being a perfect example, something some players never accomplish. So unfortunately many over use their trunk and struggle with the golf swing. My suggestion is get Speed right before attempting to add Power. Just focus on the hinging and unhinging of the club picturing Iron Byron, then slowly start adding more and more hip and shoulder rotation with the same hinging and unhinging of the club thru impact. I can’t tell you how many swings improved dramatically when the body began playing a complementary role, not the main role in hitting a golf ball. I hope this helps some of you!

Good tip here. I have used the feet together drill for years when my body gets out sync and it always seems to get me squared away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer