TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fitting nirvana - TrueSpec golf

StrokerAce

Getting fit with the exotic shafts is the fault with the person going to get fit.  If you have a specific budget tell the fitter what your price limitations are and see what they can find.   Fitting is about communication from the fitter to the golfer AND from the golfer to the fitter.   Most places like Club Champion and True Spec have to by off the shelf with a shaft since they can't just buy the head.   They will charge you retail for the replacement shaft and you don't have to get the shafts pured.   Also if you don't like the price,  just go buy the clubs on the open market.    IMO,  the advantage to the fitting companies is that you can look at non stock shafts to see what works best.  If you just want stock shaft, just go to a PGA Superstore, Golf Galaxy, or other big box and use the fitting carts.  

Agreed. I’d say the only thing I was disappointed with my true spec fitting was that they didn’t have the evenflow shafts that I had been quasi fit into as a good match to my swing against the CK pro white I got fit into while there.

But I can’t say they don’t have a lot of shafts! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I'm campaigning hard on IG to get a Truespec on Oahu. It's crazy to me that there's nowhere in the state to get this level of fitting and we host 2 PGA tour events and an LPGA event every year. Not to mention, year-round golf weather?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

16 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Agreed. I’d say the only thing I was disappointed with my true spec fitting was that they didn’t have the evenflow shafts that I had been quasi fit into as a good match to my swing against the CK pro white I got fit into while there.

How'd you like the feel of the CK Pro White? Should be butt soft/tip stiff similar to the C-Taper Lites, I think? I've been tempted to pick one up for the Epic Flash.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

How'd you like the feel of the CK Pro White? Should be butt soft/tip stiff similar to the C-Taper Lites, I think? I've been tempted to pick one up for the Epic Flash.

It felt really smooth to me. Not surprising that it would be a good match considering I play the C Taper lites. Seems I like a more active handle. I also liked the Fuji pro 2.0 which I believe would be considered butt soft and tip stiff.

I was getting similar numbers with some others and like the feel of the CK pro white the best. For my swing I felt a good load at the top of my swing but still controlled through the downswing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

• 3 months later...

I was able to piece together myself the driver that was recommended in my fitting while were all stuck inside. The sun broke through today so I was able to get some dry swings in. Not at all disappointed in those results. That’s already 1 MPH faster than I’ve recorded with my G30 and I’m not exactly in the best swing shape right now.

Loved the feel of the CK Pro White at the top. I can feel the head a lot more than I could with the Ping tour 65, even though the ping head was a few grams heavier.

IMG_8956.jpgIMG_9004.jpgIMG_9009.jpg

I was able to piece together myself the driver that was recommended in my fitting while were all stuck inside. The sun broke through today so I was able to get some dry swings in. Not at all disappointed in those results. That’s already 1 MPH faster than I’ve recorded with my G30 and I’m not exactly in the best swing shape right now.

Loved the feel of the CK Pro White at the top. I can feel the head a lot more than I could with the Ping tour 65, even though the ping head was a few grams heavier.
IMG_8956.thumb.jpg.7daf9ec705101b1c6b5baf1e8a5f0703.jpgIMG_9004.thumb.jpg.209242e1f65a52978f1f92a39aea6afb.jpgIMG_9009.thumb.jpg.45dfc01d79a303266767e2191cbaed55.jpg

That was a really good set-up for me in a fitting last year! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 10/11/2019 at 10:25 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

FITTING NIRVANA

IMG_20191009_192401.jpg

The other day I participated in my first full-bag fitting.
TrueSpec golf offered an opportunity that doesn't come around too often - a free (450.00 value!) full bag fitting at the Boston location.

I was very much looking forward to this as I had never done a full bag before.
3 years ago I had an iron fitting that wasn't very good.
5 years ago I had a driver fitting that was o-kay.
2 years ago I had a putter fitting that was a disappointment.

I've heard a lot of great things about TrueSpec, especially reading about @jlukes experience, and I couldn't wait to see what it was all about.

------------------------------
On behalf of everyone at True Spec Golf, thank you for considering us for your golf equipment needs. We are looking forward to showing you what a custom club fitting can do for your game. We have you scheduled for:
COMPLIMENTARY FITTING
October 9, 2019 03:30 PM
at
Boston
Your appointment should last 240 minutes.

------------------------------

WHAT !?!??!  240 minutes.... as in 4 hours ?!?!  Wooo-boy.

I was glad that I was the last appointment of the day.

Upon arrival I saw that the location was in an industrial area and located in a warehouse looking building.
This made me a little skeptical. 
But... I had an open mind and was optimistic.

IMG_20191009_152413.jpg

Waiting for me outside of the building was Nick and he saw me with my bag and greeted me pleasantly.

Right away I let him know that I worked as a forum admin for MyGolfSpy and asked if he'd heard of the site; - "Oh yeah, they did that big ball test this year, right?"  Funny...that really REALLY had an impact on the industry.
I let him know about how the site is independent and lets the data speak for itself, how we do a lot of equipment testing and that I'm also there to get some information to share with the forum members so I'll be taking some photos.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was just him and I and the space was open, warm, welcoming and large..
I'll let the pics speak for themselves... giant hitting bay, shafts and heads galore... every machine you can imagine.  Top notch.

IMG_20191009_183103.jpg

He asked me the particulars that you typically are asked when getting a fitting (what am I looking for, what do I currently play, etc.)
He then took my 6 iron and measured everything (loft/lie/length) while I warmed up with an 8.
A very nice touch: he asked what ball I typically play (BS RX) and we used THAT ball for everything.
(Note - they use a GCQuad/Foresight which works very well)

Shafts galore
IMG_20191009_182731.jpg

IMG_20191009_182756.jpg

He described how they do all of their fittings using a 6 iron because that's the club that most people lose confidence in for some reason.  7 iron is fine but the 6 seems to scare folks.  Personally, I am fine hitting my 6 but I liked to hear how they want to get folks comfortable and confident hitting a club they typically aren't confident in.

Devices aplenty....(he used the tall black metal machine to bend my wedge and the other stuff was used to measure weight, length and flex)
IMG_20191009_182621.jpg

IMG_20191009_182806.jpg

IMG_20191009_183938.jpg

For a full bag they typically start with irons, move on to driver, then woods/hybrids, wedges, putter.
I had a unique situation because I had a set of specific irons I wanted to get fit for and he was more than happy to help with that.

I hit my 6 to set a baseline and then we compared my 6 to the set I wanted, tried a couple different shafts (I asked him to stick to the stock choices for ordering purposes) and found one that I really liked and performed well for me.

We then went to the driver and I won my driver during a member-guest tournament earlier this year and I wasn't properly fit into it so I asked if he could help me with the settings.
I took some swings, he looked at the numbers, made a couple of adjustments and my total distance before the change became my carry distance afterwards!  Basically I added about 20 yards to my drive with some minor adjustments.... #fittingmatters

My kind of drawers!
IMG_20191009_182632.jpg

IMG_20191009_183854.jpg

After we got 'my' driver dialed in I let him know I wasn't "married" to it and if there was anything else he had that might be better I'm all for it.
I tried a number of different head and shaft combinations that came close but nothing that could knock it outta the bag.  He did suggest that I trim an inch off because it is 45.5 inches long! Even tour pros don't play drivers that long.

We carried on with 3w and my hybrid and same thing... both were as good as anything else.  I recently began to get a bit of a hook with my hybrid and he helped me adjust the settings so that it is more fade biased and I gained about 15 yards as well. 🙂

I asked about my wedge makeup (50/54/58) and he liked it and especially liked the grind for the area/courses I play (New England).
I told him that something about the 50 felt 'off' and he measured it and noticed it was 2 degrees flat.  Well then! 
He quickly put it on the machine, bent it so that it was standard and boom.... I got the extra yards I was missing.

He helped to make sure that the gapping in my set was good (of course since I didn't have my irons he could only estimate) and we moved on to the putter.

IMG_20191009_185446.jpg

This was in another section of the fitting area and used GCQuad.  I had a previous putter fitting using Samlab and there wasn't much difference between the two of them.

Mix and match shafts, grips and putter heads.... very cool.
IMG_20191009_185500.jpg

IMG_20191009_185511.jpg

I recently purchased the putter and had only had it out for one round.  I hit a series of 9 foot putts while he watched behind and the putts were going in and the numbers looked okay but he noticed that the toe was a bit high.  
He bent the putter a bit, I tried again and voila.... the numbers were spot on.

Giving the putter a little makeover...
IMG_20191009_185611.jpg

THIS MADE ME VERY HAPPY.... this is where I lose the majority of my strokes and this was my 4th putter this year.  Having a properly fit putter is such a great feeling!

It was now about 7:30 and the time just seemed to fly by.
We're both kind of 'gear heads' so it was easy to pass the time; Nick KNOWS clubs and we had some great conversation.
He was easy going, friendly and helpful.

All in all it was the best fitting experience I have ever had.  The place itself is first class.  Clean, organized, professional...everything you could want from a fitting.
To top it all off Nick sent me all of my results in multiple pdf documents within 30 minutes after my session and even offered to send me the entire dataset.  I was able to ask him a question the next day via email and he responded quickly.  There was no pressure to sell me anything and I could tell he truly only cared that I have the best performing clubs in my bag - no matter whether they were new or old.

I highly recommend TrueSpec; I've been to Club Champion and some other local "Golf Digest top 100" fitters and they pale in comparison.

The one thing I would caution you on - for a full bag you will hit a lot of balls and you'll probably feel it the next day; I didn't feel it at the time but when I woke up the next day I did.
Don't get me wrong, the full bag is awesome, and it's great to do it all at once and totally worth it but they do offer other individual fittings.

TLDR;
TrueSpec is wicked awesome.
You should definitely do it.

IMG_20191009_182528.jpg

Just for fun.... my results:
Irons (6 iron):
Results-irons.JPG

Driver:
Results-driver.JPG

Woods:
Results-woods.JPG

Putter:
Results-putter.JPG

Fantastic write up @GolfSpy Stroker I worked with Nick as well with my fitting and he was THE BEST!. These pictures really do not do the atmosphere and overall amount of equipment are at this place justice! (Great pictures though) HIGHLY recommend a fitting with these folks.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

• 4 months later...

I'm resurrecting this topic to try and get a sense for how pricing for the clubs themselves works at True Spec.   I'm considering doing an iron fitting there.   Roughly speaking, how much more is a set of irons through True Spec, versus getting those same irons with the TS-recommended shafts and specifications (length, lie, loft, etc.) through an online company like Golfio?

Thanks.

Hey BrenkJ, thanks for resurrecting this topic. I was about to write a piece on True Spec myself and then I saw this thread. I recently did a full bad fitting with putter at True Spec and had an amazing experience! Basically, the same as the original author of this thread. You may be able to find a better deal by shopping around but having your clubs hand built by True Spec is part of what you are paying for. It also comes with there satisfaction guarantee. 

The breakdown for my irons: Taylormade P790’s $174.99 each + Nippon Modus Tour 120X shaft $60.00 + grip $15.00 + SST Pureing $30.00 = $279.99 per iron 

As I said earlier, this was awesome experience. Christmas morning for any golfer! I really liked the transparency of this experience. Really low pressure, they didn’t try to sell me a club just because. In fact, they didn’t even try and sell me a driver, 3-wood or putter. They gains of the new technology was minimal compared to my current gamers and not worth the expense. 

Currently they are doing free fittings for Healthcare workers! Drop my name (Bryce Campbell) in the referral box! 

Hope this helps,
Keep on swinging! – Bryce. 

On 12/27/2019 at 6:05 PM, cnosil said:

Getting fit with the exotic shafts is the fault with the person going to get fit.  If you have a specific budget tell the fitter what your price limitations are and see what they can find.   Fitting is about communication from the fitter to the golfer AND from the golfer to the fitter.

Great point.  This is the only hesitation I have with plans for a TrueSpec or Club Champion fitting.  I suppose if the performance of an "exotic shaft" was significant enough, I might be inclined to pay the freight but I'm doubtful, with my game, that would be the case. On the one hand, I need to go in with a completely open mind, but on the other hand, spending time testing $500+ shafts is, I'm pretty sure, a waste of time. 🤔

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

13 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Great point.  This is the only hesitation I have with plans for a TrueSpec or Club Champion fitting.  I suppose if the performance of an "exotic shaft" was significant enough, I might be inclined to pay the freight but I'm doubtful, with my game, that would be the case. On the one hand, I need to go in with a completely open mind, but on the other hand, spending time testing $500+ shafts is, I'm pretty sure, a waste of time. 🤔

When I did my fitting at TrueSpec I told him I was limited to the stock shafts for the irons and that was no problem. He looked them up and we only tested those and found the best one for me.

I think if you're up front and honest at the beginning of the process the fitter is more than happy to work within your requirements and find the best product for you and your game.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• 4 weeks later...

Was reading back through this thread because I am stuck inside the house due to air quality and have fittings on my mind.

I am down for exotic shafts and the cost associated, but i don't like the fact that at CC and True Spec, you essentially pay full retail for the club plus full price for the shaft, but they don't give you the stock shafts that came with the clubs originally that they then rebuilt. 

In my case, if I were to get fitted into exotic shafts, I would probably do the following:

• Buy from the OEM with the head spec i need and pick whatever the no-charge shaft is that has the highest resale value
  • Separately, buy the shafts i need, either pulls or brand new if need be
  • I would pull the heads myself and re-sell the OEM shafts
  • I would then take the heads and the shafts that I bought and build the clubs myself with the correct swingweighting and length

However, there could be something random that throws off this plan. Like I have heard building Ping clubs are a pain because the hosel insertion depth is small, so a lot of experienced amateur club builders have had club heads come off because there is not much room for error.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

• 7 months later...

I just went to TrueSpec last week, April 23, 2021 for reference.  I have to say, this exceeded even my heightened expectations.  I did the full bag fitting and spent a solid 4 hours hitting golf balls, I was beat at the end.  Make sure you're ready for that.  I went in with a few pre-disposed opinions on some of the equipment I wanted.  In fact, it took a month to get an appointment (in Beverly Hills), and I almost just went to a box store and bought what I wanted...what a mistake that would have been.

Starting with driver, I was pretty sure I wanted the new Ping head.  After trying that, and about 5 others and some number of shafts, there was very little difference and my fitter said, well, maybe your current driver is good enough.  Then he said, maybe we'll try one more head/shaft combination.  As soon as I hit the first drive...and then another 10 drives, the data was so obvious and so overwhelming, there was no decision.  I went with that set up.  It gave me about 195 yards of carry vs 185 on a good hit and much more roll out.  It was the Taylor Made SIM driver head that I was certain I wouldn't like!  But data is data, and I'm an engineer at heart.  There was no decision to make, it was easy.  I forget the shaft but it was not the stock shaft that driver comes with in stores.

Then the irons, same thing.  After nearly an hour of hitting many, many combinations of heads I wanted to try, there was no difference.  Then he pulled out the last one and again, after a few swings it became clear.  25' higher apex and 20 yards longer carry on a 6-iron I didn't really think I could hit.  I ended up with the Titleist CNCP CP-04 irons and Mitsubishi shafts.  God awful expensive but hey, I'm not getting any younger and there's zero chance I can make real, long term swing changes.

I don't hit long (I'm 60), but I do have a pretty consistent swing and the data showed it.  The equipment choices I made were very clear.  And maybe here's the downside.  I wonder how this helps if you don't have a consistent swing?  You can be fooled by data too.  (My swing path on my driver varied <0.7 degrees on 90% of my swings.  It may be bad, but it's consistent!)

The only downside is the 4-6 week delivery but they said that and I wasn't surprised.  I'll update this review after I play a few rounds and see if the results on the course match the results in the lab.

I highly recommend TrueSpec.  I felt there was no agenda, buy, don't buy, try this, try that, absolutely no pressure to do anything other than hit golf balls.  They were patient and didn't push me to pick something.  The data though, was obvious.

IMG_0238.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0235.jpeg