Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

MP-33 used irons experiment

pozzit

I decided to start looking for some old used blades to get a good perception around what I "should" play and what I aspire to play. Ended up finding these bad boys when going to test the MP-20 MB (so nice) and for $100 I couldn't say no they are in good shape and feel great... Until they don't. 20191011_211513.jpeg.b3a3163f7cfc3cdee2586a6a1e7e11cf.jpeg

20191011_211624.jpeg.0cb69ff71a790f89cda05a8d2b625273.jpeg

They are so shinny and so clean and so small compared to my current r11 this is a 6iron compare20191011_211858.jpeg.c4aacaf8266cbef91a9fa752a513f9ea.jpeg

Looking forward to get these on the course play around with workability see what todays "tech" really means. I don't expect to game these for a full season but want to train my brain and body for center strikes and work my way into what actually right for my game. I would love to do an HMB MB combo set.

Anyone else have some MP-33 or Anyone have a set of old blade they take out for fun?

I'm also looking for a little restoration on the 6 iron face and some tiny rust specs on the back but I don't want to damage any chrome. Any suggestions?

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

This is one of the best sets ever made. 

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I did the hard rock challenge this summer (a day late so I didn't record it in that thread) with some Pinnacle Rush balls and some early 80's Wilson Staff Fluid Feels. Once I got over the fact that 9=8 and so on, it was a blast. I wouldn't have known I was playing with a rock. I didn't shoot any worse than I was playing that course with my regulars at the time. 

Those look awesome and were a steal at 100 bucks!

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Yea hitting this at Dicks I realized quickly that I need 2 extra clubs easy since my clubs are 4+ degrees weaker and less face flex. I haven't hit them on the course I always find the launch monitors off with my gamers so we will see what the course has for me.

I'm doing some clean up, regripping, new paint infill and little wax to clean it up will post pictures when I'm finished.

I'm excited to hit the course since I've never played blades... probably not the best idea to bring it out when it's 50° but hey we play with what we are given

On 10/16/2019 at 7:03 PM, pozzit said:

Yea hitting this at Dicks I realized quickly that I need 2 extra clubs easy since my clubs are 4+ degrees weaker and less face flex. I haven't hit them on the course I always find the launch monitors off with my gamers so we will see what the course has for me.

I'm doing some clean up, regripping, new paint infill and little wax to clean it up will post pictures when I'm finished.

I'm excited to hit the course since I've never played blades... probably not the best idea to bring it out when it's 50° but hey we play with what we are given

Yea but, so what. It’s just a number. But conversely, your short game will be more predictable from 150 in. I’ll hit my 5 iron for 170 and after that I’m into hybrids anyways, and lets face it, not many people are money from that distance anyways.

my index hasn’t suffered at all going back to blades. And the feel from those clubs will send a pleasant chill to your brain on well struck shots.

cant wait to see em when you’re done...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• 3 months later...

I'm curious to hear what you think of these- hope you've gotten a chance to play them!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I'm curious to hear what you think of these- hope you've gotten a chance to play them!
Yea think I played 18 then 3-4 rounds of 9 before the end of season. I also use them on my optishot with foam balls. They are a blast and feel very confident with the very thin topline. It really started getting me thinking about lofts on irons these are almost exactly 1 club less even though I think it's only 2* different. I highly recommend everyone trying some blades just for a round or 2 to put golf every shot you have into a different perspective.

What a great looking set! I did something similar and bought a set of Cleveland TA1 blades a few months ago for $120. They're 20 years old. Put a new set of grips on and they are so much fun!

In all honesty up until they started adding tungsten to blades a few years ago, there's no difference in tech in Musclebacks over the last 40 years. I've played full rounds and haven't lost any performance from my current set even though they're 2/3 the size. I've split my set too which is pretty fun. It's fun to have a "how ya feeling today" set. 0202200841.jpeg0201202131b.jpeg0201202122.jpeg1012191949.jpeg

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

@azstu324those look nice. Cleanup and grip is all i have done with mine as well. How do they compare with those DBMs. I just picked up a TE, PTM, and TS1 to compare.

I love this site - https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-timeline/

The 33's and 32's are some of the most beloved Mizuno irons ever produced.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

31 minutes ago, pozzit said:

@azstu324those look nice. Cleanup and grip is all i have done with mine as well. How do they compare with those DBMs. I just picked up a TE, PTM, and TS1 to compare.

There really isn't a comparison between the 2. My problem is that I'm a chronic tinkerer. I can't help but look for reasons to try new things out. Or in this case old things, just to shake things up and gain different perspectives and such (It's my justification/sickness). In the back of my mind, maybe I'm tired of looking at the same clubs, or just need new reasons to appreciate the ones I have (DBM's). The TA-1's are my equivalent to a wealthy man's classic 60's Vette, Porsche, etc. They're fun and nostalgic, but can be a temperamental PITA at times. The DBM's are my daily driver. Have been for a couple years and probably will until the grooves wear out. I'm yet to find ANYTHING better than them. Even the Clevelands aren't as soft and rewarding as the DBM's and nowhere near as forgiving or long. They're form-forged so not quite the full-forged experience like the DBM's with 1020 carbon. 

I was really close to pulling the trigger on the TS1's just before I bought the Clevelands and then shifted gears and decided to by these. 

When I did the Lynx Prowler VT testing, I was REALLY hopeful that I'd found my new replacement set.. but that just wasn't the case and the DBM's were just a clear winner between the 2 sets. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

20 hours ago, azstu324 said:

There really isn't a comparison between the 2. My problem is that I'm a chronic tinkerer. I can't help but look for reasons to try new things out. Or in this case old things, just to shake things up and gain different perspectives and such (It's my justification/sickness). In the back of my mind, maybe I'm tired of looking at the same clubs, or just need new reasons to appreciate the ones I have (DBM's). The TA-1's are my equivalent to a wealthy man's classic 60's Vette, Porsche, etc. They're fun and nostalgic, but can be a temperamental PITA at times. The DBM's are my daily driver. Have been for a couple years and probably will until the grooves wear out. I'm yet to find ANYTHING better than them. Even the Clevelands aren't as soft and rewarding as the DBM's and nowhere near as forgiving or long. They're form-forged so not quite the full-forged experience like the DBM's with 1020 carbon. 

I was really close to pulling the trigger on the TS1's just before I bought the Clevelands and then shifted gears and decided to by these. 

When I did the Lynx Prowler VT testing, I was REALLY hopeful that I'd found my new replacement set.. but that just wasn't the case and the DBM's were just a clear winner between the 2 sets. 

Surprised the DBMs feel softer then your Clevelands. I really liked the TE & the TS-1s I have hit I didnt seems to have the best results with the PTM for some reason. I'm working on a day to get to a launch monitor and test out and compare the 3 Maltby options compared to the MP-33s and my current r11 gamers.

1 hour ago, pozzit said:

Surprised the DBMs feel softer then your Clevelands. I really liked the TE & the TS-1s I have hit I didnt seems to have the best results with the PTM for some reason. I'm working on a day to get to a launch monitor and test out and compare the 3 Maltby options compared to the MP-33s and my current r11 gamers.

Oh the DBM's IMO are some of the best feeling clubs out there. I would dare say (earmuffs) that they are Mizuno nice. My buddy plays TM Tour Preferred CB's and we both agree the DBM's feel much nicer. Another friend plays Mizuno MP-18 SC's and the DBM's are right in there with feel and playability. 

Funny thing is that whenever I go to PGATSS to the hitting bays, I always get one of the staff guys coming back to take some swipes with the DBM's. Because they aren't sold in big-box stores, it's like they have some strange appeal like they're very rare/expensive. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG