Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Potential teachers - what questions to ask?

Hey y'all. With the off-season coming up, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on lessons. I'm curious what kind of questions would be good for me to ask potential pros?

I've never had any lesson before, am about a 16 hcp, and live in Michigan, where winters are coooooooold...🥶

I've gotten a list of potential instructors from MGS and coworkers, just trying to whittle it down from here.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

My biggest question for selecting a coach is l: do you teach ONE method to all golfers?

If the Pro can’t teach to your body type, your capabilities, to YOUR needs, and not just put you in a one-size-fits-all system, then I’d go elsewhere.

Ask their philosophies on the swing, and how they specifically adjust for someone taller, shorter, more muscular, skinnier, older, or younger. If they can’t quantify, walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Wall of words ahead...

I personally don't and would never walk into a lesson open ended. I TELL the coach/pro/instructor what "I" want to accomplish. Keep in mind that the instructor you select might not be the instructor you end up sticking with. You're not married to the guy. Be prepared to seek advice from another instructor if you're not comfortable.  For what it's worth here's an example of how I worked with my instructor - 

At our first meeting and after a brief meet & greet I told the instructor, "here's what I want to do." In my case it was improving my irons/ ball striking. That's it. I let the instructor know (at the time I was 60 and playing with about an 8 hcp.) a bit about my golf history and he watched me hit some shots observing my setup, grip, ball flight, etc. etc. I told the instructor that I didn't want to rebuild my swing or for him to try and turn me into a portrait of Adam Scott. I said I merely wanted to work with what I have and make improvements in increments over time. After some of that initial discussion he said that all sounded good to him and "let's get to work."  I also want to add; we didn't use any electronics. It was all eyes and ears. Old school style. Each lesson lasted about an hour with me hittings balls and observing my instructor demonstrate various moves or positions. We also had much discussion. Everything he asked of me were small and minor adjustments which were easy to understand and put to use. Sometimes he didn't even introduce anything new. We'd just work on what had been previously discussed. My game never suffered or went backwards (you don't have to get worse to get better) along the way as I made noticeable and steady improvements from the get-go.

I believe that far to many people seeking lessons/improvement walk into the deal without a specific plan. At my lessons I was only given about 1-2 things to work and focus on. I'd go away and practice/incorporate the recommendations for a few weeks before returning. Usually each time thereafter we'd review and build on the previous meeting. I scheduled each lesson on my time frame. Not the instructors. My game - ball striking, etc. steadily improved. After that first year I'd return periodically for a "tune-up" and discussion. Me and my instructor became friends and would occasionally go play a round which was fun. During those times I'd also get some free advice along the way. Your situation and circumstance is probably much different from mine but the overall idea here is to have a specific plan in mind and not to let the instructor lead or fill you head with too much at one time. Take small bites and you will improve.

Slow and steady wins the game.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

... Excellent replies from Pmookie and Plaid, From my teaching days I can assure you every student is different and unique. I loved when my students came to their first lesson knowing what they wanted from their lessons. "How much are you willing to practice?" ... "How much are you wiling to change?" ... "How long do you expect a change to become permanent" ... "How many steps back are you wiling to take before taking steps forward?" ... "Are you willing to play very poorly while the new swing takes shape?" 

... These are questions I liked to ask before and during a lesson. Be 100% honest. Some admitted they were not going to practice, just play Saturday and come back for their next lesson. Some wiling to put in one day of practice and some practice every day. It makes a huge difference in how I would teach. I think one of the reasons I was so successful with word of mouth from my students is for the vast majority, I tried to help them do what they were already doing, just do it better. Meaning take a weak 25 yd slice and turn it into a more powerful 10 yd fade. Yes, I had some students willing to make huge changes and were willing to take a full year or longer with constant practice, but they were the exception. Most just wanted to make better contact, hit better shots and shoot lower scores. Not going from 110 to 79, but 110 to 90-95. 

... And lastly, you should have a good rapoire with your instructor. I was a positive, encouraging, happy and friendly instructor because that is who I am. I started every first lesson with a  smile and a plea "Whatever you do, please don't hit any good shots. It just makes my job so much more difficult. If you can hit some really bad shots and give me your very worst swings it will make my job sooooo much easier". Find an instructor that matches your personality or has a personality that appeals to you and your lessons will go much better. If you do not have a connection and/or do not like what or how your instructor gives you a lesson, find another. I had students that complained they really didn't like their previous instructor(s) and stayed with them too long.

... Lessons can be so much fun, so helpful and great for your game, so I wish you the best of luck gong forward! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I'll keep some updates as I go 👍

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

... Excellent replies from Pmookie and Plaid, From my teaching days I can assure you every student is different and unique. I loved when my students came to their first lesson knowing what they wanted from their lessons. "How much are you willing to practice?" ... "How much are you wiling to change?" ... "How long do you expect a change to become permanent" ... "How many steps back are you wiling to take before taking steps forward?" ... "Are you willing to play very poorly while the new swing takes shape?" 

... These are questions I liked to ask before and during a lesson. Be 100% honest. Some admitted they were not going to practice, just play Saturday and come back for their next lesson. Some wiling to put in one day of practice and some practice every day. It makes a huge difference in how I would teach. I think one of the reasons I was so successful with word of mouth from my students is for the vast majority, I tried to help them do what they were already doing, just do it better. Meaning take a weak 25 yd slice and turn it into a more powerful 10 yd fade. Yes, I had some students willing to make huge changes and were willing to take a full year or longer with constant practice, but they were the exception. Most just wanted to make better contact, hit better shots and shoot lower scores. Not going from 110 to 79, but 110 to 90-95. 

... And lastly, you should have a good rapoire with your instructor. I was a positive, encouraging, happy and friendly instructor because that is who I am. I started every first lesson with a  smile and a plea "Whatever you do, please don't hit any good shots. It just makes my job so much more difficult. If you can hit some really bad shots and give me your very worst swings it will make my job sooooo much easier". Find an instructor that matches your personality or has a personality that appeals to you and your lessons will go much better. If you do not have a connection and/or do not like what or how your instructor gives you a lesson, find another. I had students that complained they really didn't like their previous instructor(s) and stayed with them too long.

... Lessons can be so much fun, so helpful and great for your game, so I wish you the best of luck gong forward! 

Great commentary from an instructors perspective. It's probably very frustrating to instructors to have students who don't practice between lessons. My wife and I started golfing at the same time. She took lessons for several years - at one point weekly but never practiced. I was the opposite; took few lessons but practiced a lot. Over the years her game improved marginally, especially compared to mine. For some reason the lightbulb went on this year and she practices and plays 18 all the time (and only 3 lessons this year). End result is her index dropped 10 strokes this year.

In selecting instructors the only other thing I can add to the previous posts, is ensuring that the instructor understands how you learn and uses that approach. In my case I'm a visual learner so it's critical that I see what Is being taught. You can tell me all day but that'll have a lot less impact on me then my seeing it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

... I'll admit that initially I was a little frustrated but it didn't take me long at all to understand my role. It is your lesson and I always felt my job was to give you what you want and hopefully what you need. I am not paying you to be there for me, I am being paid to be there for you. If You wanna take a lesson and not practice in-between lessons I certainly should have no problem with that. As long as you have no problem with not progressing very fast.

... Your second point is spot on Tony! As an instructor it is my job to convey information to you in a way that you understand. Some of my students that I had a very congenial relationship with might say to me after a break thru "Why the hell didn't you tell me that to start with?" To which I would reply " I did. 10 different ways. But it took you the 11th for you to get it!" I am amazed at how many instructors repeat the same things over and over again when their students are struggling with the concept. Assuming they have seen video and know the problem, lets say a student is having a hard time "keeping their head down" (words I really dislike because they should keep their eyes down but allow their head to move") but I might tell them to "watch hitters in baseball on TV and freeze the frame at impact. Every single one will have the brim of their helmet pointing at the ball hitting the bat so your golf hat brim should be pointing at the golf ball on impact." That may mean nothing to them. "After contact, make sure you pick out one single blade of grass before letting your eye move up". Still didn't work. I would stand in front of them and put the butt end of the shaft on their hat and tell them to keep the grip on the hat thru impact. Didn't work and not a tip for them. OK, try looking backward right at impact, having your eyes move a foot behind the ball. BINGO! It is an instructors job to find out how their student learns and like in your case as a visual learner,  no talking without illustrating at the same time. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Lots of good advice.  One other thing to think about:  will you learn better by having your instructor put you in specific positions and teach you how to get into those positions, or are you the type that does better with drills?  Personally, I respond better to drills.  I had a huge sway in my swing as a teenager, and my teacher had me hit balls with a ball under the outside of my right foot.  If I swayed, I'd fall over.  That worked for me.  You might do better by being taught what position you should be in at the top.  That never worked for me.

And if you're just taking lessons, you may not even know what you respond best to.  A really good teacher should be able to teach positions and drills, and the two of you will need to experiment a bit to figure out what works for you.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino