TESTERS WANTED! ×

Be Your Own Brand

You’d be hard pressed to find that I think.

But the way I interpret that message is:

Play what you are fit into... example

Ping Driver
Callaway 3 Wood
Taylormade hybrid
Cobra Irons
Cleveland wedges
SeeMore putter
Srixon ball

That’s just an example.

I personally don’t follow that, because I have OCD when it comes to my golf equipment. I have a mixed bag right now, but I am working on a full PING set.

To be honest, most brands have a very complete top to bottom line of clubs that accommodates all golfers. Mizuno, PING and Titleist are three that come to mind that offer a variety of hybrids and irons that complement each other.

Best way to figure it out is to go with an open mind and hit as much as your back allows

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I don't think MGS is ever going to win that battle. Too many people have bias towards certain brands, for whatever reasons those may be.

I have a very unique plan for my next set, and I'm kind of in the same boat as Shankster, in that I'd prefer to just have similar aesthetics throughout my bag, so for me a one brand bag makes most sense.

Every major OEM makes such quality stuff these days anyway, that I don't think people would be giving up a considerable amount of performance by not mixing up their bag.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I don't really have a problem being brand agnostic, although there are some brands I am not a fan of, but I am not dead-set against anything. Golf is a hard enough game for me that I don't feel like I can afford to give up any potential advantage equipment can give me.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

My first thought after reading the title of this blog is “do you boo”. A lot of us have been quilty of jumping on board with the latest and greatest influenced solely by marketing. Be your own brand to me means to play how and what you feel. If your brand is to buy new clubs every year then do you. If your brand is to play with Dad’s 1970 Mcgregor Blades then again do you.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Well, building on what @GolfSpy MPRsaid, one needs only look at pro bags to see that mixed sets are most common. To look at it another way, some may have mixed sets simply because they see the pros doing this. I might get some added performance with a few, select changes in my lineup but honestly believe it is more the archer than the arrow in my case...ymmv.  Find a good fitter and try to let the data drive the decision.  I say try because, like it or not, we all have some brand favoritism and preferred aesthetics banging around inside us.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

... I learned from going to the PGA Demo Day every year and hitting all the new clubs that being loyal to only one brand is counter productive. There were always different clubs from different OEM's that not only looked better to my eye at address, they also performed better. Keep in mind many of the Tour guys on staff with any OEM have their equipment tweaked. Maybe a different grind, a different cog placement, internal head weighting and more personalized changes not available to the public, so it is much easier for the to be loyal to the brand paying them. For the rest of us, playing one brand makes little sense, unless as MPR points out there are different reasons to play this game and if it adds to your enjoyment there is certainly nothing wrong with that. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 10/13/2019 at 12:41 PM, tchat07 said:

So this is a common theme from My Golf Spy. As someone who is looking into getting fitted for irons soon, how do I maintain that theme? I mean most fitters are not going to have you fit for 7-9 of one brand and 4-6 of another.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That’s not what they are saying. The message is don’t be locked into one brand through the bag.

i don’t necessarily agree with the messaging because the vast majority of major brands are putting out great equipment and with a good fitting and the ability to have adjustable clubs at the top of the bag one can easily play a full bag from one brad and play their best golf.

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, building on what @GolfSpy MPRsaid, one needs only look at pro bags to see that mixed sets are most common. To look at it another way, some may have mixed sets simply because they see the pros doing this. I might get some added performance with a few, select changes in my lineup but honestly believe it is more the archer than the arrow in my case...ymmv.  Find a good fitter and try to let the data drive the decision.  I say try because, like it or not, we all have some brand favoritism and preferred aesthetics banging around inside us.

Pros don’t like to change that’s why you also see pros with older clubs in the bag and in some cases balls too.

they play what works on hold onto that until something better comes out. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Id say just go into it being open minded.  Its a difficult thing to do because so much of golf is taylored to sell you on the lifestyle of being into a certain brand a and a certain brand only.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

Id say just go into it being open minded.  Its a difficult thing to do because so much of golf is taylored to sell you on the lifestyle of being into a certain brand a and a certain brand only.

I don't know how much I'd agree with that, TBH. At this point, pretty much every OEM has great products. I think most people are going into a fitting open minded because let's be real, paying hard earned $$$ for a fitting and only wanting to be told that your favorite brand is the "right" choice is a waste of time and money. Plus with the wealth of info out there, I don't think anyone who's serious enough about a fitting is going to think that there's only one brand out there for them.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I don't know how much I'd agree with that, TBH. At this point, pretty much every OEM has great products. I think most people are going into a fitting open minded because let's be real, paying hard earned $$$ for a fitting and only wanting to be told that your favorite brand is the "right" choice is a waste of time and money. Plus with the wealth of info out there, I don't think anyone who's serious enough about a fitting is going to think that there's only one brand out there for them.
People do though. They have in their mind that brand x is the best and want a full bag of that brand. Every OEM does have great products but not all of them are fit for everyone's eye or everyone's swing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

1 minute ago, ZenGolfer said:

People do though. They have in their mind that brand x is the best and want a full bag of that brand. Every OEM does have great products but not all of them are fit for everyone's eye or everyone's swing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Like I said above, if someone pays good money for a fitting and that's their mindset, it's a waste of money IMHO.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 10/14/2019 at 8:21 AM, SteddyGolf said:

My first thought after reading the title of this blog is “do you boo”. A lot of us have been quilty of jumping on board with the latest and greatest influenced solely by marketing. Be your own brand to me means to play how and what you feel. If your brand is to buy new clubs every year then do you. If your brand is to play with Dad’s 1970 Mcgregor Blades then again do you.

LOL I do actually play my Dad's set of Macgregor blades but they are 1962 CF 4000s . The Mac VIPs with Hogan Apex shafts are mine. I play the 62s some in my strictly vintage rounds. Sadly can not play them on a regular basis those stock heavy shafts are a little rough on my back now days. Now days I play a lot of strictly vintage golf with blades and persimmon but since I do not play comp or big money matches anymore that is fun to me. I am also one of those guys that are not brand agnostic. I do not care one iota about a companies' politics or marketing strategy or for that matter if Joe Pro plays it on tour

A lot of my fun is I work for a Metal Recycling company and find clubs all the time especially classic blades. I have been known to show up with a bag of clubs that all of them came off the scrap pile that week. At employee scrap prices I have shown up with clubs including bag that I have less than $5 in the whole shebang and that is 14 clubs too. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

20 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Like I said above, if someone pays good money for a fitting and that's their mindset, it's a waste of money IMHO.

I dont disagree with you.  Im simply saying that if you consider yourself to be a brand x guy and play a full bag of said brand and you go for a fitting and they say that brand y would be better for your swing, you may or may not be happy about that if you built your golf identity around brand x.