Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Evnroll ER2B Putter

Ever since Evnroll putters came on the scene a couple years ago as the surprising winner of the My Golf Spy Most Wanted putter, it's been on a roll ever since.   The latest model it's ER2B has a high standard to live up to, and we have selected four members to test, review and report their results back to the forum.  That begins this week as you can check in with them over the next four to six weeks to see how they are performing.

ER 2

The Testers are

@ncwoz                  Stage 1                          Stage 2

@Wedgie                Stage 1                          Stage 2

@Tsmithjr9             Stage 1                          Stage 2

@KurtActual          Stage 1                           Stage 2

• Like 1

Stage 1 – Evnroll ER2 Midblade Black – Wedgie – 10-31-19

BREAKING NEWS:  Halloween 2019, East Greenwich, RI.  There is a man on the loose wielding a murdered out putter.  It appears to be an Evnroll ER2 Midblade Black Putter.  The man is described as being in his early 50’s, about 6 feet tall wearing khaki shorts with a royal blue Nike quarter zip top.  He is wanted for multiple robberies.  The robberies occurred at Valley Country Club on and around the 18th hole.  If you see this man do not approach because he is known to carry a weapon on the golf course.

IMG_1032.thumb.jpg.a63fda4ffb0f4a6ca58f5cdbd087b858.jpg

I can’t believe they interrupted the Price is Right for that story.  Wait…it’s me they are talking about!  Yeah, it is like stealing when you’re rocking an Evnroll putter but that money was earned fair and square.  I need to tell my story so I don’t go to the slammer and do hard time for a crime I didn’t commit. 

IMG_1036.thumb.jpg.76aba6b346a72b5db7066e3fb0134095.jpg

I married a TV personality that gave it up several years ago to focus on our now 14 year old twins.  I grew up in the Midwest and graduated high school with a Heisman Trophy winner who at the time I considered a friend.  The quickest insight to me is that when I tell the Heisman story I tell people he went to school with ME, not the other way around.  I graduated from the University of Kansas like everyone in my immediate family and my dad was the Jayhawk mascot when he went there.  I moved to New England in 97 and doubt I’d ever go back to Kansas to live.  New England has a ton to offer with beaches, mountains, seasons and golf.

IMG_1030.thumb.jpg.72bd36b4bf68655b682c299ef5fb47b9.jpg

My golf life started as a kid when I’d steal my dad’s driver while he was at work.  We lived close to a public course so my brothers and I always had a huge stash of balls we’d get from wondering the course.  I’d take the driver, walk to the Arkansas River at the end of my street and try to hit balls over it.  I honestly don’t think I ever did get one all the way over until I was in high school.  My other golf lessons were on the driving range when hitting the biggest slice was how we determined the winner between me and my brothers.  Yeah, not a good way to learn the game but that is how I did.

IMG_1039.thumb.jpg.6dff2ff42c5084c36566ad6d5355d2bc.jpg

I belong to a Country Club that I would describe as long.  I’ve taken GolfSpy_Stroker there and he would describe it as short.  I guess that is part of what makes golf so unique to every individual.  The greens at my home course can be very fast at times but tend to slow down this time of year.  Since joining the club I’ve noticed a significant uptick in 3 putts so I jumped at the chance to test the ER2.

IMG_1033.thumb.jpg.1ed0fcf557090ec6d5d46f7fe3dc343b.jpg

Prior to testing I was in Dallas for business and hit the PGA Superstore to test the putter to see if it would be a good match for me and if I should apply to test.  The stock 35” ER2 Midblade Black seemed to fit the bill.  Once selected as an official tester Evnroll called and did an over the phone fitting.  Basic questions such as length, loft and lie.  He stumped me a bit when he asked if my hands were in front or behind the ball at impact.   I didn’t know to be honest but since I don’t forward press he felt the standard 2 degrees of loft would be fine.  I also felt he talked me out of the Gravity Grip by saying it was shaped differently than the SNSR grip I use on a few of my putters so I should go with the standard grip.

IMG_1029.thumb.jpg.fa50dd809551af3c53c6af99cf6cc025.jpg

When the putter arrived it looked awesome.  I yanked it out of the box and I could feel the weight of the putter was much greater than I am used to.  Not a bad thing at all, just noticeable.  I was immediately drawn to the quality of the putter.  It is literally the nicest putter I have ever laid hands on.  The black shaft, black grip and black putter head are badass and Evnroll accents the putter in all the right places with red.  I went straight to my master bedroom for some putting.  Now I have a fairly new home but it’s nice because I can practice straight 15 footers in the master, a double breaker in my son’s room and a left to right putt in my daughter’s room.  Regardless of my homes foundation I hit my first putt and literally thought to myself, oh wow!  The putter itself just felt amazing.  Almost like I have been mishitting every putter I’ve ever used my entire life.  I grabbed my current gamer, Wilson Windy City, and rolled a few and immediately noticed the difference in the roll.  I could hear the skid on the carpet from the Wilson putter and I’d say the ER2 rolled straighter almost like it was taking some of the break out of the putts.  It was weird.

IMG_1035.thumb.jpg.bdeee1c8ef52b3bf2ee975b7fc214946.jpg

Evnroll claims their face technology in a nutshell slows down center impact strikes which effectively speeds up off center hits so you get consistent distances regardless of where you strike the ball.  I did notice I was coming up short putt after putt until I got used to the differences between putters.  The putter head is a little thicker, front to back, than a traditional blade with a straight white sight line which I’ll touch on in stage 2.  The head cover is very nice as well.  It closes via magnets which I love.  Given the larger head size of the putter it took me a few holes to smoothly get the putter out of the cover without it getting hung up. 

IMG_1047.thumb.JPG.205edbb15b841cf7bd63923426d6f534.JPG

Since my testing has already begun I’ve played a ton of golf and spent countless hours on the practice green working with this putter.  I came into the testing averaging 1.8 putts per hole but I miss a lot of greens. Given that info I don’t think my putts per hole average will outweigh my gut when determining if this putter will stay in the bag or not.

IMG_1045.thumb.jpg.1478ef93d539cad0cf1c18570b71cfc6.jpg

Most of all thank you MGS and Evnroll for this awesome opportunity to test the ER2 Midblade Black putter.  I am happy to answer any questions or do any type of testing you guys want.  Just let me know what you would like to see.  And come back to find out if I was apprehended.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Hi Everyone!

My name is Tom and I am excited to review this Evnroll putter. I play out of Northeast Ohio, and I play until it starts to snow. This year my season has been cut a bit short too, but not because of weather. My wife and I just had our first child last Saturday, a baby girl, which is a bit more exciting than a new putter (sorry MGS). The weather is still good, so maybe I can sneak out if momma allows me.

I started golfing in middle school, thanks to my dad and lots of family members who play. He passed now, but I still play with my sister a lot, she was the one who made varsity golf all 4 years of high school. If I can’t play with any of the family I usually go out by myself at sunrise. I have friends that enjoy golf, but none of them are as serious as me, so they usually only want to play a very relaxed 9 holes after work. Nothing wrong with a practice round with them though. Those are the two biggest reasons why I play, the time spent with friends & family, as well as the peacefulness of being alone

My home course is Cossett Creek in Brunswick, Ohio. I play there because it’s one of the few non-flat courses on the west side of Cleveland, it’s inexpensive, and the pro works to make the round enjoyable. The conditions are probably slightly below average, but I enjoy it. My favorite courses in the area are Sugar Bush, Windmill Lakes, Fox Den, Rain Tree, and Gray Hawk. I will play anywhere within an hour or so of home, so that gives me about 100 courses to choose from.

I am not really brand loyal, but right now most of my bag is Titleist. I have a 915 D3 Driver with a Mitsubishi Diamana White X flex shaft, I was fitted into that. I carry a Cobra Fly-Z Fairway set at 16.5 and an Adams Gold Boxer Hybrid at 19. These I purchased for less than $30 each off eBay. My irons are Titleist 714 CB 4-PW with X100 shafts. I wasn’t fitted for these either, but after hitting clubs at golf galaxy the 718 CBs were by far the best performing, so I went shopping for an older model and found them. Wedges are Vokey 50-54-58. The Vokey 58-04 is the best club I’ve ever bought.

The putter I currently use is an Odyssey Versa #7. My friend has a #7 in his bag, and I used it and it just had such a good feel, I had to go get one of my own. I love the mallet and it feels so balanced. I put a Super Stroke Squared grip on it, and while it took some time to get used to the weighting change, it still works great. Before that I went really old school and carried an original Zebra putter, which was my dad’s, so maybe there was some sentimentality there. Before that I used a TaylorMade Rossa blade putter. I don’t remember the exact details, but it was the first one they put the gel-filled grooves on, so that is going back to 2006 or so. This Evnroll is the first blade I’ve used in about six years.

I play to a 7 handicap, up from a 3 last year. I’ve played about half as many rounds though. But my putting hasn’t suffered from it! I average just under 30 putts a round, and if I have a day with considerably less, it means I was chipping lights out, not sticking my irons. I don’t feel as though my putting is a liability, but I wouldn’t consider myself to be amazing. Ultra fast greens can mess me up pretty easily, but outside of that I want to say I have a 3-putt once every 3 to 4 rounds. I use a standard grip, but I interlock my fingers just like on my full shots. I am working on shortening my backstroke to stay inside my body and stop deceleration. I read greens well, and I play the break on my long putts, I don’t try to hit it through. On the 3 or 4 footers I try to bang it in the cup. Playing break on those can be dangerous if you are on unfamiliar greens.

Evnroll got off to a great start by having their PGA Tour rep call me and walk me through a fitting over the phone. What a first impression!! With his help I decided on the 355 gram head in 33 inches. I went 1 degree flat but left the loft standard. I have the oversize grip, but it looks like they offer bigger ones. Then the first impression when this putter arrived…

Murdered Out is the right description for this thing. The all black head, with black shaft is soooo pleasing to the eye. Just the small alignment in white is all this putter needs to look glamorous. You can never go wrong with the red logo and red on the grip to give this the perfect touch. Red and black always look good together. All this in a foam-lined box to protect everything, and a cool head cover with the strongest magnets on earth.

I want to use the interim time to provide pictures and breakdown of the technology and improvements. For starters, it already feels great in my hands. While I don’t have biases against this putter, or very much knowledge of Evnroll or other boutique putter companies, I want to close with something I think is true. I do not expect to drop from 30 to 22 putts a round because this is in my bag. With putters more than any other club, it’s the fiddler not the fiddle. I believe that once one is comfortable with the club and has a solid stroke, they will putt well with anything.   

Edited by Tsmithjr9
  • Like 7

Find my Stage 1 thoughts on the EVNROLL ER2-B here! 

• Like 2

My Stage 1 is up; check it out!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KurtActual said:

...Much of my testing is done here, where I can hit hundreds of shots with the least number of variables.

IMG_1438.jpg.7ebf604186fe4f248c2b2527921eaedd.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg.614f45cd67fc2ab6e831cf821a525dc9.jpg

That's a pretty sweet set up! Do you have a net or something to hit full shots into as well?

10 hours ago, ncwoz said:

That's a pretty sweet set up! Do you have a net or something to hit full shots into as well?

Yessir. Snagged a Haack knock-off on Ebay for $59. Works like a charm.

• Love 1

Man, the confidence I have with this putter in hand is unreal. Anyone use an EVNROLL Gravity Grip on a non-EVNROLL putter?

Excited for seeing your results, guys. Very nice looking putter, especially in all black.

• Like 2

On 10/21/2019 at 10:48 AM, KurtActual said:

Man, the confidence I have with this putter in hand is unreal. Anyone use an EVNROLL Gravity Grip on a non-EVNROLL putter?

I've always been a pencil grip guy, but like a buddy's thicker grip so gave the Gravity Grip a go for the ER2B; and it feels reeeeeeal nice. Just nestles into your hand perfectly.

• Like 1

Excellent start guys, I have to admit that I'm a lot jealous of this group. I have been rocking a Rife two bar hybrid for at least 10 years now and have come to realise the only thing that could replace it is another Guerin Rife design 😍😁

• Like 4

Stage 1 is finally up.  Sorry for the delay!

• Like 2

On 10/21/2019 at 10:48 AM, KurtActual said:

The fitter talked me out of the gravity grip.  I wish I had went with my gut and got it anyway.