TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best KBS Iron Shaft?

Tsecor

Years ago, when KBS was fairly new to the market, i played their iron shafts but found them very very "boardy" for lack of a better term. I was fitted into the KBS but it never worked for me. Too stiff and lacked punch if that makes sense. The fitter said this was the best for me, but i never really felt comfortable and ending up selling my clubs 3 months later.

I am headed to a fitting this week and was curious if the KBS line still feels the same or if some of the newer offerings are better and feel more alive when you swing. It seems like a lot of fitters gravitate towards these shafts when initially discussing a fitting.

I swing my 7 iron ~ 90mph.

Any thoughts? 

Golf is cool

I’ve had good success with the Tour V shafts. I had them in my Edel Irons, and they’re in my current Edel wedges. They have a “feel” to them, but I like them, not boardy. They have so many different shafts now... KBS Tour V and C-Taper, True Temper Dynamic Gold, Project X, Project X LZ, and Nippon Modus 120 are all shafts I’ve been fitted into and they all felt differently, but ultimately, in the head I picked, they felt “right”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I personally love the KBS Tour shafts. Went to a club champion fitting and they were the best shafts and did a mizuno shaft optimizer and they were the top pick. I don’t think they feel boardy. But everyone has they own feels. I am not a fan of some if their other shafts as they don’t seem to work well for me.

Too many shaft options in the market to play a shaft you don’t like. If you don’t like the feel move on; there should be another shaft that provides similar numbers.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I liked them in my Mizuno fitting but the Nippon Modus 3 pipped them with consistent numbers, plus they felt better.

However, I liked the tour shaft enough that I asked for them to be put in my wedges in regular flex, not stiff as Regular just 'felt' better and you never put a full aggressive swing on the wedges anyway.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I liked them in my Mizuno fitting but the Nippon Modus 3 pipped them with consistent numbers, plus they felt better.

However, I liked the tour shaft enough that I asked for them to be put in my wedges in regular flex, not stiff as Regular just 'felt' better and you never put a full aggressive swing on the wedges anyway.

I love my KBS Tour 90 in regular flex for my Callaway PM Grind wedges, but I'm happy with my Nippon shafts in my Bridgestone irons.

However, maybe that will all change when I have my True Spec fitting next week.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm using KBS Tour Graphite in all of my irons and find them to be highly consistent and feel great.   I was fit for them at Club Champion and compared them with other various shafts, both steel and graphite from various manufacturers and weights.  They work for me!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I love my C-Tapers! My swing speed with a 7 iron is about the same as yours. Within the KBS line there are a ton of options. If the options are feeling too boardy, try the KBS Tour V or the C-Taper Lite. Even the Regular Tour has a pretty active tip.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Kbs has a wide selection of shafts for all swing types. The tour v, $ taper and tour 90 are good.

with the number of shafts in the market both steel and graphite it would be wise to go into the fitting open minded and not even look at the shaft brand, flex, etc or the brand of head before hitting them and have the fitter not tell you either. Remove as much bias of any kind as possible 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I've had a good success with KBS, probably one of my top two brands of shafts along with Nippon.   I have played the following:

KBS Tour 90

KBS Tour

KBS C-Taper Lite

KBS TGI 80 graphite in a demo Callaway Apex 19 iron I have.   I love it in that head.  I only have a mid to high 70's swing speed with a 7 iron and I don't find them heavy or boardy at all, as long as I stay in my profile.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

KBS appeals to a vast majority of golfers who need a higher launching, higher spinning shaft to get the ball up and stay up after impact. It could be a slower swing speed, a shallower AoA or don't load the shaft as much (lots of arms in the swing similar to Adam Scott). Nippon and True Temper (Dynamic Gold) offer more of a lower launch,  mid-high spin shaft for stronger golfers who load the shaft quite a bit with a steeper AoA...think Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson, Matt Wolff, Sergio and Cameron Champ. 

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule, but this is what I get from the majority of fitters I come across. 

KBS makes some fantastic shafts, but it doesn't mean they'll fit your swing. Let us know what you end up with. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

One thing about KBS is that they have a shaft for nearly every golfer. I spent two hours last night reading about the differences in models from online forums and feedback through vendors.

I’m a Tour-V player after playing DG S300’s for 20 years.

To give an idea of these two, they play very similar but I believe that KBS has a smoother feel through impact.

Good luck in your search!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• 2 weeks later...

Goodness, I love my KBS. I'm actually amazed at how I can feel the progression different shafts. Never really got the same feeling with True Temper, though percormance is just as good.

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

• 4 weeks later...

The KBS line for irons shaft is about as extensive as any company out there.  

I have found there is a difference between the .355 and .370 shafts of the same model. Where the taper tips shafts can be a bit more stiff.  It really sounds as if you convinced yourself the clubs were poor before you started or the build was poor to start with.

Give them another shot

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I have a set with $ tapers. I love how the fell and I love how they load. I am not completely sold on the ball flight though. It is a bit high'ish for my liking. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Best is subjective and will be different for everyone.  I really like the KBS Tour.  The $-Taper is another fave of mine but they didn't perform any better than the OG Tour...for me.  In the past few years, I've played the PX LZ and some Nippon NS Pro C10 Prototypes.  The LZ worked pretty good, but wouldn't hold up to aggressive swings.  They're not designed to, but the felt so good.  The C10 Protos were the opposite for me.  They responded well to aggressive swings, but had nothing for anything less that 100%.  The KBS Tours allow me to put whatever swing I need for the shot I want and they behave accordingly.  If I'm aggressive, they're great.  If I take a little off, they're still great.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of the C-Taper Lite's!

DRIVER: PXG Proto 0811 X - Graphite Design Tour AD GP7x +1/2"

3W: Taylormade SIM Rocket - Graphite Design Tour AD GP6s

HYBRID: PXG 0317X 17* - PX HC Hzrdus Black 6.5 (shelved)

IRONS: PXG Gen 3 0311T 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1" | PXG Gen 2 0311P 3-4 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

WEDGES: PXG Forged 54, PXG Sugar Daddy 58 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

PUTTER: Taylormade MySpider X - 36.00" 3* Loft 71* Lie

Been a C-Taper guy for a while - several fittings put me into them. But as I've gotten older the 120 gram shaft has simply become too heavy and I've lost distance. have tried the Tour-V - liked it very much, and I have some $-Taper Lites as well that I've had good luck with. 

Kim Braly actually fit me into the $-Taper Lites in X-flex over the phone (I know name-dropping is a low-class move. Paul McCartney taught me that) when I told him my driver swing speed and 6 iron distance. He said not to worry about the flex, the weight is the thing (they're 105 grams). 

At the KBS Experience in Carlsbad I told them what I was playing, and they steered me to the TGI 80 Graphite shaft - saying it plays the closes to the $-Taper Lite X-flex - very similar bend profile. I loved it!

Here a link to our article on Kim Braly - the man's a legend...

https://mygolfspy.com/kim-braly-golfs-ebullient-genius/

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

On 12/19/2019 at 11:32 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Been a C-Taper guy for a while - several fittings put me into them. But as I've gotten older the 120 gram shaft has simply become too heavy and I've lost distance. have tried the Tour-V - liked it very much, and I have some $-Taper Lites as well that I've had good luck with. 

Kim Braly actually fit me into the $-Taper Lites in X-flex over the phone (I know name-dropping is a low-class move. Paul McCartney taught me that) when I told him my driver swing speed and 6 iron distance. He said not to worry about the flex, the weight is the thing (they're 105 grams). 

At the KBS Experience in Carlsbad I told them what I was playing, and they steered me to the TGI 80 Graphite shaft - saying it plays the closes to the $-Taper Lite X-flex - very similar bend profile. I loved it!

Here a link to our article on Kim Braly - the man's a legend...

https://mygolfspy.com/kim-braly-golfs-ebullient-genius/

The TGI 80 is what I hit best as well, and will be sending my T300 to them to be installed.  Titleist doesn't' offer it.....Yet!! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I hit a few shaft options at the end of last summer and KBS tour is where  I ended up.  I've always played some kind of True Temper so I was a bit surprised I liked the KBS Tour so much.  This was paired with Mizuno MP18 blades. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I am all Red Label (although unlike Barba I don’t PERSONALLY know Kim Braly ) I thought I wanted Project X when I first was fit for KBS. Talk about a shaft that felt like a telephone pole, oh my goodness. Would like to try Nippon, but haven’t had an opp to compare.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Have C-Taper Lite 110s in my Maltby PTMs right now after being fit on the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer with the JPX Forged 919 head (closest thing I could find to the PTMs spec-wise from Mizuno). They are a fantastic feeling shaft, and despite my iron swing speed encroaching into the X-flex territory, they hold up very well. I have a pretty smooth transition, however.

I played Tour 90s previously, and have hit the regular KBS Tours in stiff. Neither felt as nice as the the C-Taper Lite. During the same fitting as above I hit pretty much every shaft Mizuno offers and didn't match the performance of the C-Taper Lites either. 

And, on the cheap side, my Hireko Apollo Stepless Standards that I have in my wedges feel pretty darn good, too. More of a standard tour weight, however. But at $4.50/shaft it's hard to beat.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver