Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Shot Tracking

JAGolfore

I have looked around on here and there is a lot of good information on Shot Tracking and the devices to track them with.  I want to know which ones are best for tournament play and if it is even legal to use these in tournaments?   I do not like wearing a watch while golfing and could attach a watch to my bag.  Another question is editing after a round, how hard is it to go in and put in your putting stats and distances?  Does it take 30 minutes?  Does it take 10?  

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

38 minutes ago, jacustomgolf said:

I have looked around on here and there is a lot of good information on Shot Tracking and the devices to track them with.  I want to know which ones are best for tournament play and if it is even legal to use these in tournaments?   I do not like wearing a watch while golfing and could attach a watch to my bag.  Another question is editing after a round, how hard is it to go in and put in your putting stats and distances?  Does it take 30 minutes?  Does it take 10?  

I don't know anything about the various types of data collection, but it IS legal to collect that data during a competition.  It is NOT acceptable to process or interpret the information gathered during the round.

Check 4.3.a(3)  https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=4&subrulenum=3

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Just now, DaveP043 said:

I don't know anything about the various types of data collection, but it IS legal to collect that data during a competition.  It is NOT acceptable to process or interpret the information gathered during the round.

Check 4.3.a(3)  https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=4&subrulenum=3

So with that being said do we know what the best data collecting devices are?

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

5 minutes ago, jacustomgolf said:

As I said, I do't know much about them.  Have you read the reviews here?

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

As I said, I do't know much about them.  Have you read the reviews here?

I have read the reviews, I guess I should look for the MGS Most Wanted shot tracking device. 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

I use Arccos and have recently started using decade. Anova is nice but a little cumbersome during the round. I use decade to piggy back onto Decade/Anova. I'll try to lay out some stuff for you below.

Arccos: Works great at collecting distances. I have used it for over a year (ios) and have had very little issues with it. 95% of rounds only editing to do is pin location and first putt distance. I usually do this during the round, I will go through the previous 3 holes and set the pins and putts. Time to do this is very little, less than a minute. After the round I will go through round and make sure lies were correct, ie. fairway, rough, sand etc as sometimes when on the border they don't always record correctly. Probably 5 minutes after the round. For what it is it works wonderfully. I wish there was more reporting or breakdowns and I don't believe their SG methods are completely accurate. Having the phone in my pocket does not bother me. The Apple watch interface is nice but it doesn't work, but you don't like a watch so no worries there.

Anova: They have a free 30 day trial that will give you a good idea have it works. Initially entering the data during the round is cumbersome and takes a little bit to get used to. Data presentation and stats that they have are incredible. The most comprehensive that I have seen. If you enter the shots during the round obviously there is no time after the round. But I did find that enter data during the round was too much for me.

Decade: It's pricey but you get what you pay for. Data and presentation is as good as Anova and there are different options for comparison to levels of play (Tour, College, Top 5 College etc) There are also videos and training on how to use the stats to improve your scoring. Because I have Arccos during the round data collection is easy, 30 seconds a hole at most. After the round it will take me approximately 10-15 minutes to add all gps data from Arccos. 

If you are looking for an automated shot tracker with minimal interaction Arccos is the way to go. If you are looking for true SG info then I would recommend either Anova or Decade (both will teach you how to collect data with pencil and paper during the round if need be). Interesting note is that all three apply SG a little bit differently.

Let me know any other questions and I will try to answer. 

3 hours ago, jacustomgolf said:

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

27 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I use Arccos and have recently started using decade. Anova is nice but a little cumbersome during the round. I use decade to piggy back onto Decade/Anova. I'll try to lay out some stuff for you below.

Arccos: Works great at collecting distances. I have used it for over a year (ios) and have had very little issues with it. 95% of rounds only editing to do is pin location and first putt distance. I usually do this during the round, I will go through the previous 3 holes and set the pins and putts. Time to do this is very little, less than a minute. After the round I will go through round and make sure lies were correct, ie. fairway, rough, sand etc as sometimes when on the border they don't always record correctly. Probably 5 minutes after the round. For what it is it works wonderfully. I wish there was more reporting or breakdowns and I don't believe their SG methods are completely accurate. Having the phone in my pocket does not bother me. The Apple watch interface is nice but it doesn't work, but you don't like a watch so no worries there.

Anova: They have a free 30 day trial that will give you a good idea have it works. Initially entering the data during the round is cumbersome and takes a little bit to get used to. Data presentation and stats that they have are incredible. The most comprehensive that I have seen. If you enter the shots during the round obviously there is no time after the round. But I did find that enter data during the round was too much for me.

Decade: It's pricey but you get what you pay for. Data and presentation is as good as Anova and there are different options for comparison to levels of play (Tour, College, Top 5 College etc) There are also videos and training on how to use the stats to improve your scoring. Because I have Arccos during the round data collection is easy, 30 seconds a hole at most. After the round it will take me approximately 10-15 minutes to add all gps data from Arccos. 

If you are looking for an automated shot tracker with minimal interaction Arccos is the way to go. If you are looking for true SG info then I would recommend either Anova or Decade (both will teach you how to collect data with pencil and paper during the round if need be). Interesting note is that all three apply SG a little bit differently.

Let me know any other questions and I will try to answer. 

I am looking for something that will track without my phone on me during tournament rounds.  I have no problem going back in on my computer and inputting the data as I will have pin sheets and such from each round.  I will check out Anova and Decade.  Decade sounds like the right application.  Thank you for the response. 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Shot scope requires wearing a watch but no phone. It has several different options including a shot tracking only option.

I’ve been please with it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 10/16/2019 at 9:20 AM, jacustomgolf said:

I used Arccos  this year and ShotScope last year.  For my purposes Arccos was the better fit.  I don't want thrash Shotscope as it does provide some very good info as well, but the big flaw for me was the need to take a full practice stroke before it would activate, and it seemed to miss shots at a higher rate than Arccos does, that could be related to the practice swing issue I mentioned.

I know Arccos can be used to gather info with using it during the round and the upload afterward like you mentioned.   The one thing that goes against what you prefer is the phone in the pocket.   I'd prefer not to have the phone in my pocket, but I manage it without it really interfering at all.   The Caddie Link that is currently on back order will solve that issue, as you just clip it to your belt. 

As to the amount of Data and the way it's presented and able to be used to analyze your game, again I think Arccos has a strong lead in that category as well. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you experts can answer a question about shot tracking, regardless of the company you're using.

I play a course that is hilly (up and down), has lots of wind that can easily shift 180 degrees and (especially this year) has been wet. So given some days the wind drops the ball like a rock, or there could be little or no rollout because of a wet course, what's the value in getting those numbers since I assume the technology doesn't take into account course/weather conditions.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

14 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Perhaps you experts can answer a question about shot tracking, regardless of the company you're using.

I play a course that is hilly (up and down), has lots of wind that can easily shift 180 degrees and (especially this year) has been wet. So given some days the wind drops the ball like a rock, or there could be little or no rollout because of a wet course, what's the value in getting those numbers since I assume the technology doesn't take into account course/weather conditions.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Arccos Caddie has a "plays like" number that I believe takes into consideration elevation and weather (wind). My issue is I use an old phone with no sim card as my GPS device so it does not get updated weather, meaning I have to be a little careful interpreting the "plays like" distance as the wind direction and speed were from the last time I had that phone on a wifi network. Since the wind is usually not much of an issue away from the lake, it's not a big deal, but something I have to keep in mind.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

15 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

In your situation, I'd anticipate that the distance data would have much more variability than it would if you played on a relatively flat course with no wind.  Nevertheless, your averages should be pretty representative of your game.  Your left/right variability would still be useful in understanding your tendencies, maybe you miss left more with short irons and miss right more with long irons.  You could conceivably look closely at your numbers after each round, making notes of which shots were uphill or downhill, and which way the wind was blowing.  Data in and of itself has no value, its how you interpret the data that gives it importance.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 1 month later...

I'm fascinated by Decade, but it's not worth it for the level of golf I play right now.  If my youngest ever gets really competitive, I'd buy it for her.  If you want to dip your toe in the Strokes Gained water for free, just Google "golfwrx strokes gained spreadsheet."  I used this until I got Arccos.  I created an online database to record my shots while I played, and I could copy and paste it into the spreadsheet really quickly.  This is far more than I'd want to fool with in a tournament situation, although a caddy could do it pretty easily.

Please let us know what you think of Decade/Anova when you try them out.

On 10/28/2019 at 7:18 PM, tony@CIC said:

play a course that is hilly (up and down), has lots of wind that can easily shift 180 degrees and (especially this year) has been wet. So given some days the wind drops the ball like a rock, or there could be little or no rollout because of a wet course, what's the value in getting those numbers since I assume the technology doesn't take into account course/weather conditions.

When it comes to hills and wind, you're really relying upon the law of large numbers to give you decent data.  Your stats will be pretty sketchy until you get in ten or so rounds.  Arccos actually does a halfway decent job of detecting outliers, but you need enough information.  I played a few rounds hitting 4 iron off of a bunch of tees because I just didn't have enough shots with it to give me decent data.  And then when I did have enough data, Arccos confirmed that I hit it the same distance as my 5 iron.

With regards to the wetness, I'd think you want that factored in.  If my course is soft most of the time (and it is), I'd rather have that built into my yardages.

One of the most important things Arccos teaches most people is that they come up short far more than they hit it over the green, so you'd be better off clubbing up in most situations.  This is especially true if your course is wet.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino