TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Truth About Lowering Your Score

I read an article this morning by Practical Golf. It's nothing earth shattering or new really. But, it does once again bring our game into focus. The article is about Time and Expectations. As golfers we all approach this game differently. We'd all like to be +10 handicappers. Right? Yeah me too....  except I just don't know what I'd do with all the money. So, after reading the article which Scenario do you fit into?  I'm solidly in Scenario #2. I've been playing most of the summer between a 3-5 hcp. Not bad but that's about it. I actually have more time to spend on my game but don't. Why? I guess I'm just lazy and expect to magically get to scratch or something. Ain't gonna happen and I know it. Certainly not at my decrepit old age. LOL

Here's a link to the article:

https://practical-golf.com/golf-scores/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm right between a 1 and a 2. I play on average once a week but don't have time to practice. But my playing has gotten better this season and have dropped in handicap this year.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

14 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I read an article this morning by Practical Golf. It's nothing earth shattering or new really. But, it does once again bring our game into focus. The article is about Time and Expectations. As golfers we all approach this game differently. We'd all like to be +10 handicappers. Right? Yeah me too....  except I just don't know what I'd do with all the money. So, after reading the article which Scenario do you fit into?  I'm solidly in Scenario #2. I've been playing most of the summer between a 3-5 hcp. Not bad but that's about it. I actually have more time to spend on my game but don't. Why? I guess I'm just lazy and expect to magically get to scratch or something. Ain't gonna happen and I know it. Certainly not at my decrepit old age. LOL

I read this one as well, really like his articles for some healthy expectations and keeps me sane (mostly).

I'm also somewhere between #1 and #2, probably closer to #2 more often than not. Need to focus my practice time to really see improvements though.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

Thanks for the article - it came at a timely point.

I shared it (focus on the graph) with my wife. She reduced her index dramatically this year - but had a meltdown yesterday. She had a lesson on Sunday and yesterday everything fell apart. Tried to explain to her that immediately after a lesson things won't go so well because you're trying to implement new techniques. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Good article.  Aligning one's expectations with the reality of your situation would help a lot of people get more enjoyment out of the game IMO.  I am pretty much a Scenario #2 but I will call myself a 1.75.  I play once or twice a week.  I have some time to practice but don't put that much actual practice in.  Golf isn't my only hobby/interest and you have to balance the whole time & money thing.  I've began replacing driving range trips with a quick nine at a local executive course (par 32) as "practice" time.  I find I get more out of it, its more fun, and walking is great exercise.  I will still practice short game occasionally.  I may never become a scratch golfer that way but it's the process of playing that I enjoy the most.  If I can keep double-bogey or worse off my card and make an occasional birdie, I have a great time!

Solidly a 2. I play once a week and do mostly short game practice. I am playing as a 7/8 now but was a 4 a few years ago.

What changed isn’t really practice but getting instruction. Maybe I have some talent as I seem to pick up things taught in a lesson quickly and don’t have to spend a lot of time practicing.

I have time to dedicate to getting better, I just choose to not make time. After working I just want to go home and relax. I hit a lot of balls during the year doing most wanted testing; it seems to help with wedges and putting but not with full swing. Probably because I am not focusing on improving since it really isn’t practice. Wish I had space to install a skytrak; I know I would use it every day to work on my game.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm a #2, as I play on Saturdays mostly, with little time to practice during the week.  I did enjoy my time in NC though, as I played almost every day.  Hard to do that at home when the wife assumes you'll be home by 6:30 pm for dinner, and that is her love language (quality time).

I also agree with the article that you should spend a majority of your time working on chipping and putting.  When I go to the driving range, all I see mostly is guys banging drivers trying to get longer.  I'm tempted to walk up to some of those guys and say to them, "I'll bet you $20 I can beat you on any par 5 just using a 7 iron and a putter", and see what their response is.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I've long felt that, for the vast majority of golfers, lowering handicaps follows an asymptotic model - and that breaking into single digit handicaps is roughly where the curve starts to flatten.  It stands to reason that the more time you invest, the better the chances you have in improving scoring stats.  But simply spending time on the course is but a small part of the recipe for getting up that flattened portion of the curve.  I think it often takes wholesale changes to one's swing mechanics - and that involves even more commitment in practice and playing time.  I attempted a swing change in my mid 20's that ultimately had me so frustrated with the game, I gave it up for the most part. At the time I was playing to an 11-12 and really felt like I could (or should) be able to get to mid single digit.  I may not have committed to it long enough (patience has never been my strong suit) and it became a trainwreck. I struggled just getting back to where I was and with other life happenings happening took a hiatus. 

See the source image

I'm fascinated by those of you spies who have recently completed or are going through a swing change - even more, amazed when it works out!  Unlike the pros who have dedicated swing coaches and can work on this endeavour as a full time job, most of us simply don't have the time.  Or, by the time we do (have the time), our physical ability to make any significant changes to our swing mechanics is a challenge.  I probably really need to consider a swing change if I ever hope to beat my lifelong best 11 handicap - but based on my prior experience, not sure I want to commit to it 🤔.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I'm about a 2.25. I average playing twice a week and practice 1-2 hrs daily EXCEPT.... I live in the New England where I have forced down time due to winter. I want a sim in the house for winter practice and believe it would help tremendously. I get to travel to warmer areas of the country some in the winter due to my job and work in some rounds as often as I can. I hover around 8-10 mostly because I have no home course. The vast majority of golf I play is on a different course every time. Hard to get low doing that. However, I am focusing more on course management since that is my downfall. I research courses in advance of playing them and keep a notebook of each one in case I return to play there. I do tend to score better on courses I am familiar with, but still tend to make a couple of dumb choices each round that keep me from getting where I want to be. Nice article though.

BT

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

To quite honest, I’m more a 1 right now. I play Sundays, and that’s about it. I hardly get to the range anymore, and it’s all because of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I’m a 2 by his definition but the deeper dive is that I don’t play enough competitive rounds to really improve - hoping to change that in the upcoming year.

Lots of wisdom in this piece.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Historically, I've been a 1, but this year I was closer to a 2-3 depending on the week. Testing the Epic Flash for MGS really forced me to get on the range almost every day because I wanted to show some improvement to everyone on here! And picking up Stan Utley's book had me working on my short game a lot, too. The only thing I didn't work on much this year was my putting, and looking at my stats I am now seeing how much that held me back this season.

The progress chart he posted is spot on. I shot a 96 the first time out at my home course this year, bounced around a bit in the high 80s, worked my way lower, shot 79 in August and have regressed a bit since, shooting low mid-90s that last two times I went out there. Progress isn't linear and that's really hard to swallow sometimes.

But, I look at it as at one point this summer I shaved anywhere from 12-16 strokes off a round from my previous "normal." I'm thankful for my family and work situation that allows me that time, it really was a lot of work and commitment. 

I desperately need to work on more focused practice time, however, because my tendency is just to hit a bunch balls to develop "rhythm," which I'm realizing isn't really helping my swing all that much.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

15 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I've long felt that, for the vast majority of golfers, lowering handicaps follows an asymptotic model - and that breaking into single digit handicaps is roughly where the curve starts to flatten.  It stands to reason that the more time you invest, the better the chances you have in improving scoring stats.  But simply spending time on the course is but a small part of the recipe for getting up that flattened portion of the curve.  I think it often takes wholesale changes to one's swing mechanics - and that involves even more commitment in practice and playing time.  I attempted a swing change in my mid 20's that ultimately had me so frustrated with the game, I gave it up for the most part. At the time I was playing to an 11-12 and really felt like I could (or should) be able to get to mid single digit.  I may not have committed to it long enough (patience has never been my strong suit) and it became a trainwreck. I struggled just getting back to where I was and with other life happenings happening took a hiatus. 

See the source image

I'm fascinated by those of you spies who have recently completed or are going through a swing change - even more, amazed when it works out!  Unlike the pros who have dedicated swing coaches and can work on this endeavour as a full time job, most of us simply don't have the time.  Or, by the time we do (have the time), our physical ability to make any significant changes to our swing mechanics is a challenge.  I probably really need to consider a swing change if I ever hope to beat my lifelong best 11 handicap - but based on my prior experience, not sure I want to commit to it 🤔.  

@fixyurdivot, It took me all summer to get my drive where I wanted it to be so don't despair. Based on the author's scale I'm more like a 2.75. I play a lot 4-5 times a week and I spent a fair amount of time on the range. Looking back on it now, I'm saying to myself the mechanics of the new (driver) swing are fairly simple - why did it take me so long?  Guess it has to do more with repetitive practice than just knowledge of the mechanics. 

As to the article, the one big element for at least higher handicappers not addressed is the mental side. For instance,  I could start out great maybe a couple of par's and birdies, then I have a blowout hole - maybe it's a triple on a Par 3 which shakes my confidence, it then takes me 2,3 or sometimes 4 holes to mentally get back in the game. An on-course therapist would do wonders for my game 😎

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

30 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

@fixyurdivot, It took me all summer to get my drive where I wanted it to be so don't despair. Based on the author's scale I'm more like a 2.75. I play a lot 4-5 times a week and I spent a fair amount of time on the range. Looking back on it now, I'm saying to myself the mechanics of the new (driver) swing are fairly simple - why did it take me so long?  Guess it has to do more with repetitive practice than just knowledge of the mechanics. 

As to the article, the one big element for at least higher handicappers not addressed is the mental side. For instance,  I could start out great maybe a couple of par's and birdies, then I have a blowout hole - maybe it's a triple on a Par 3 which shakes my confidence, it then takes me 2,3 or sometimes 4 holes to mentally get back in the game. An on-course therapist would do wonders for my game 😎

Good points.  Oh, and the blow-up holes... grrr!  Another way to look at this is how many of us, even with high end club fitting, little or no limitations on time to devote to practice and playing, and a full time teaching pro can get to (or real close to) scratch golf?  

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Another way to look at this is how many of us, even with high end club fitting, little or no limitations on time to devote to practice and playing, and a full time teaching pro can get to (or real close to) scratch golf?  

Have you read Paper Tiger by Tom Coyne? Entertaining and easy read about just what you talk about. He devotes a year of sabbatical to trying to become scratch/plus and play on the PGA Tour.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

2 hours ago, edingc said:

Have you read Paper Tiger by Tom Coyne? Entertaining and easy read about just what you talk about. He devotes a year of sabbatical to trying to become scratch/plus and play on the PGA Tour.

No, that sounds like a great read and I'm in need of a new book.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2019 at 9:07 AM, PlaidJacket said:

Thanks for this post and for the link to the article.  It is very timely for me.  I fall into #3 category.  I have the time, I play four days per week and practice some part of my game every day..every day.  I have just embarked on a personal challenge to putt 10,000 putts over the next three months.  Some will be in the house on carpet (actually on a 1 1/2 inch wide 48 inch long steel ruler) but most will be on the practice greens at the course that I play.  My goal is to make everything inside 6 feet, half of the 15 footers, and roll the ball within 3 feet of the hole from all distances.  Daunting? Indeed.  My putting is pretty good, but to break par I need to make more birdies and that means hit greens and make putts.  Since this time of year is better for practice than for golf..now is the time!

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

12 minutes ago, deauxrite said:

My goal is to make everything inside 6 feet, half of the 15 footers, and roll the ball within 3 feet of the hole from all distances.  Daunting? Indeed.  

Daunting? yes.   Unrealistic?  yes.

Below are statistics for PGA pros.  While they get on hot streaks,  an 8 footer is a 50/50  putt.  

KCQfIwBuLlbZrkYYdW92QfpH5uUIsjlMmuYIzNzm

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

55 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Daunting? yes.   Unrealistic?  yes.

Below are statistics for PGA pros.  While they get on hot streaks,  an 8 footer is a 50/50  putt.  

KCQfIwBuLlbZrkYYdW92QfpH5uUIsjlMmuYIzNzm

I guess that I will just give up now!  NOT.  I do not play on PGA tour greens, nor do  I play under that kind of pressure.  I think that a good PGA player could achieve the goals that I have set under the conditions that I play.  It does not take any special physical attributes to putt very well..it takes focus and practice, both of which I am willing to commit to.

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

2 hours ago, deauxrite said:

Thanks for this post and for the link to the article.  It is very timely for me.  I fall into #3 category.  I have the time, I play four days per week and practice some part of my game every day..every day.  I have just embarked on a personal challenge to putt 10,000 putts over the next three months.  Some will be in the house on carpet (actually on a 1 1/2 inch wide 48 inch long steel ruler) but most will be on the practice greens at the course that I play.  My goal is to make everything inside 6 feet, half of the 15 footers, and roll the ball within 3 feet of the hole from all distances.  Daunting? Indeed.  My putting is pretty good, but to break par I need to make more birdies and that means hit greens and make putts.  Since this time of year is better for practice than for golf..now is the time!

Nice to set goals, but make sure they are achievable. Those putting stats are not achievable! 
If you want to break par, it does not take more birdies, it takes less bogeys. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, deauxrite said:

I guess that I will just give up now!  NOT.  I do not play on PGA tour greens, nor do  I play under that kind of pressure.  I think that a good PGA player could achieve the goals that I have set under the conditions that I play.  It does not take any special physical attributes to putt very well..it takes focus and practice, both of which I am willing to commit to.

Never said to give up and I wish you luck achieving your goal. 

I definitely fit the description of #2 with a few periods here and there where I either squeeze in extra golf or go for a longer duration without play or practice. However, I’ve been able to steadily lower my handicap over just a few seasons by taking a few lessons and working in some practice whenever/however I can - especially in the off season. Practice in the living room, practice in the garage, take a moment to check a few things in the bathroom mirror when you’re getting ready in the morning, just make it happen.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, deauxrite said:

2 hours ago, deauxrite said:

I agree with @THEZIPR23 that in addition to birdies, you need to minimize bogeys.  Everyone makes them, so focusing on why you make them and fixing that part of your game will pay dividends.  Maybe that's putting for you, and if it is, then I applaud your commitment to putting practice.

I think they are lofty goals, but not totally unrealistic, IF you are only playing at one course and IF the greens are not complex and stay similar throughout the year.  I believe the tour pros would have better stats if the played the same course for a year.

It is daunting though.  If you started out with the goal of achieving the same putting stats as the average tour pro and work up to the top 10 tour pro stats in each category, then the goals would be more reachable.  Setting the bar too high and not getting there is very deflating.  Start lower and adjust accordingly.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm a 2. I play on a 9 hole league during the week and 18 or more holes on the weekends. My problem is that I don't practice any more... I just play. I hover around an 8-9 handicap by the end of the season. I know I'm as good as I will ever be. I'm fine with it.

I'm maybe a Type 2.5.  In season, I play 18 on Saturday and Sunday, usually 9 holes on Tuesday evening, and practice for a while on Wednesday and Friday.  This is enough to get my down to a 3 or 4 handicap at best.  When my practice and play time decreases in the winter and early spring, I float up to 6 handicap or so.  My short game stuff is decent, the way I'm going to really improve is to improve full swing stuff.  I did make a small step (all steps are small at this level) a couple years ago with lessons and focused practice, got to a 2 handicap, and now my practice is really just to maintain and reinforce those changes.  I doubt I'll get a lot better, at least not until I retire and have the chance to spend more time working on golf.  And I'll be honest, I don't know if I'll want to work on it, or just continue to play it for as long as possible.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Depending on the time of year, I'm either a 2.5 or 3.  It's colder now, and I'm not playing as much as I did during the nice weather.  In the summer my wife and I play twice on the weekend, and I play 9 holes 3 times during the week.  I also practice for 1-2 hours 3 times a week.  However, from November to March I only play 18 holes twice a week and 9 holes once a week, assuming the weather cooperates.

The article says: "This is the amount of time that is going to be necessary to make huge strides in scoring ability."  While that may be true for some golfers, it doesn't describe the results of my weekly regimen.  I'm taking the time stated, and there hasn't been, nor will I think there will be, huge strides in my scoring ability.  The amount of time I put into my game weekly is necessary for me to just maintain my scoring ability.  I honestly don't believe that if I doubled my practice time, it would make much difference.  If I were younger, maybe I would see better results.  I think these studies are skewed to younger players, but older golfers are the ones with the time to put in to their game.

It also says: "On top of practicing, you need to play golf quite a bit too. You need to be on the course dealing with the pressures of a live round.  I believe this is where most learning takes place because practice can only take you so far."  I agree somewhat with this statement IF you have the skills and can take a consistent game to the course.  However, if you struggle with basic skills in any part of the game, taking it to the course may not be the best course of action to get better.  Yes, on course practicing has a lot of value, but not necessarily in the context of "a live round".  The value of a live round is best reserved for accomplished golfers.  

Why do I say that?  I love practice rounds where I'm playing the course, practicing shots from locations where I likely visit, and learning how to hit certain shots from various lies.  However, that learning cannot be effectively achieved during a round where a score is paramount in the golfer's mind.  A golfer who is learning how to hit shots better; practicing shots on the range, will likely revert to old habits on the course when trying to shoot a score.  Been there... done that!  I've been told many times that if I'm learning a new swing or trying to fix a swing flaw (I have many), DO NOT play a round of golf for a score, at least not until I master the change I needed to make.  The temptation is too great!!  I want to play, so off I go to play with "the guys" or my wife sets up a round with another couple.  

If that's the case, then no amount of practicing will make you better... at least not until you are a low single digit player.  Great... if you can take your game to the course for a live round.  You can maintain, but I have a hard time thinking that you will drop 5-10 strokes unless you are a beginner that can put in the time on the range and short game area.

I do agree with the statement that "If you are really serious about improving your golf swing I would suggest working with a qualified teaching professional. They can accelerate your progress by evaluating your current swing, and giving you a plan on how to reasonably fix it.  Then you are going to have to practice…a lot."  Just be warned that if you take lessons AND play golf recreationally between lessons, your progress will definitely take longer than if you dedicate your time to lessons and practice only.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”