Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Lee Ann Walker adds 58 penalty strokes to score at Senior LPGA Championship

Mr. 82

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/27860341/lee-ann-walker-adds-58-penalty-strokes-score-senior-lpga-championship

Honestly, where has this woman been living, in a cave?  How is she unaware of this new rule with all that has happened this year regarding this?

The rules have changed since the last time Lee Ann Walker competed in an LPGA-sanctioned event. She found out the hard way.

Walker shot rounds of 85 and 74 at the Senior LPGA Championship.

That was before she had to add 42 penalty shots to her opening round in French Lick, Indiana, and 16 more to the second round, giving her scores of 127 and 90.

Walker says she wasn't aware that caddies no longer can stand behind players as they putt unless a player starts the stance over. She didn't realize it until midway through her second round Tuesday, and then she had to add a two-shot penalty for every time it happened.

It goes in the books as a 127 in the first round -- with a birdie on her last hole.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

No kidding !! My question is how did she even qualify in the first place? You can't just walk up and stick a tee in the ground.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Marcel Siem pulled a similar "what was I thinking" goof at the French Open.  Pretty embarrassing for players at this level.  What strikes me is that no one else informs them of the snafu.  Yeah, I get that they are in competition but most good sportsman and sportswomen would let them know asap... no??

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 10/16/2019 at 3:15 PM, PlaidJacket said:

No kidding !! My question is how did she even qualify in the first place? You can't just walk up and stick a tee in the ground.

Former LPGA and Symetra tour player that met the requirements to play.  It is the Senior LPGA; just not a lot of players that will fill every field.  So I guess you could say it is pretty close to just walking up and sticking a tee in the ground.     Generally not as bad,  but this isn't that much different that players that don't read the local rules.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Frankly, I can have 58 penalty strokes in a round without having any caddie infractions. 😜

Really, though, you’d think a professional player/caddie would keep up on the rules of golf. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I don't understand why her fellow players, caddies, marker, referee etc didnt point it out to AT LEAST her caddie when they saw it happening on EVERY shot?

Likewise with Marcel Siem, why didnt playing partners say anything when they saw him picking up his ball repeatedly to clean and place?

I just need to be 6 inches outside the tee markers and my playing partners will alert me (hopefully) to stop me incurring penalty shots.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I don't understand why her fellow players, caddies, marker, referee etc didnt point it out to AT LEAST her caddie when they saw it happening on EVERY shot?
Likewise with Marcel Siem, why didnt playing partners say anything when they saw him picking up his ball repeatedly to clean and place?
I just need to be 6 inches outside the tee markers and my playing partners will alert me (hopefully) to stop me incurring penalty shots.

Golfers probably don’t pay that much attention to each other and aren’t looking to point out rules infractions. I don’t pay attention to the people I play with other than noting they hit a shot. Most volunteers probably don’t have the knowledge level to point it out and rules officials aren’t with the group.

You would think someone would notice and I am surprised someone didn’t comment especiallly since it occurred so frequently.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 hours ago, cnosil said:

Generally not as bad,  but this isn't that much different that players that don't read the local rules.   

This isn't even a local rule.  This is a USGA rule that is for everyone playing the game.  So how you haven't heard of this change for this year, again, she must be living in a cave.

2 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I've played in enough tournaments to know how I would react to anything going on around me.  It's like society in general now with pretty much anything going on.  It's a free for all everywhere, and why should golf be any different.  People don't want to be the tattle tale, or the one calling someone out for a rules infraction, which makes you look like a total a-hole to everyone else.  So people just keep quiet and go about their business.

This isn't even a local rule.  This is a USGA rule that is for everyone playing the game.  So how you haven't heard of this change for this year, again, she must be living in a cave.

She hasn’t played competitive golf since 2011 and probably doesn’t keep up with rule changes. Local rules are provided to each player every day. I just think the player that did lift and place was a worse mistake than the caddie lining you up.

Not making an excuse for
Not knowing the rules, if you play competitive golf you should, but if you aren’t following the game you may not know the change was made.

Just now, cnosil said:

She hasn’t played competitive golf since 2011 and probably doesn’t keep up with rule changes. Local rules are provided to each player every day. I just think the player that did lift and place was a worse mistake than the caddie lining you up.

Not making an excuse for
Not knowing the rules, if you play competitive golf you should, but if you aren’t following the game you may not know the change was made.

Then she also doesn't watch any golf on TV then, or follow pro golf news, because with all of the rules infractions on the PGA Tour this year with caddie line ups, and penalty strokes, etc, again, she'd have to be living in a cave to not know.

As for Siem, well, I'll just say that he's the type of guy I wouldn't be friends with, because he's probably always late, and the kind of guy that has ZERO attention to detail and is oblivious to other people's feelings or situations.

Then she also doesn't watch any golf on TV then, or follow pro golf news, because with all of the rules infractions on the PGA Tour this year with caddie line ups, and penalty strokes, etc, again, she'd have to be living in a cave to not know.

Unless someone specifically asks that question to the player and caddie and publishes the answer we can only make assumptions.

This whole deal blows my feeble mind. If she had not played comp in a few years she should have done a rules review. I have not played comp in nearly 10 years now but if I was to start again I would do a rules seminar either in person or on line. And I can not believe her caddy was under the rock too. What also blows my mind is that her fellow competitors did not say anything at the start. That is called "Professional Courtesy". I feel it is an professional obligation to inform a competitor about to make a rules infraction. Personally I would have informed her and her caddy when I first saw it . Now I would not have ran to an official and reported it first hand. If they had not taken the steps themselves then as a professional I would be bound by the rules and integrity of the game to report it. Like I said this whole deal really blows my mind. Sorta like the deal of Jo Ann Carner's old Wilson wedge last year being "non- conforming" . Maybe as a stipulation of competition in the future if you have not played in a stipulated event in the last 2 years you must do a rules update seminar. I think there are only 2 events for the senior women in the course of a year so I think they are going back getting long retired players to fill fields. Stuff like this may kill the whole deal. I hope not but it very well might.

At least in a nutshell when she realized she owned up to it with no whining and a chipper attitude

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G