TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ball Retriever

fixyurdivot

Cleaning up my clubs after Monday's round I noticed my ball retriever was missing. It immediately dawned on me where I left it 😥.  The course is 80 miles away and I doubt I'll be back to Bozeman before we head to AZ.  The retriever was probably 25 years old; one with a metal basket on a hinge and a small stem that stakes the ball in the cup.  It works great and I see they still make this style/design.  Conservatively I'll bet it has harvested $1000+ in balls (if only all investments had such returns). This is the style I had.

image.png.5657a6af2c59ce4f0b2517ea624fd251.png

Wanting to get the latest and greatest on ball retriever technology and reviews, I naturally type in "Golf ball retrievers + My Golf Spy"... and voila!

https://mygolfspy.com/best-ball-retrievers-of-2018/

Yes, I know, for some the mere mention of ball retriever makes them nauseous and break out in hives...  so my apologies in advance 🙂For those who bag and use them (who can withstand the scorn), what are your opinions/recommendations?  I see the "Gotcha" won the day, but one of the guys I play with in Yuma has one of these and says he dosen't like it as much as the old style for two reasons; one being that if you miss the ball, it releases the inside loop and you have to pull out and reset, second that if balls are in muck, it isn't very good at extraction.  The MGS review does not show pictures of all (15) products tested (or I'm missing it), so it hards to know which is which of those not making the top of the class. Thanks all!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I can't even read this thread 😢

Sorry FYD!  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

10 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I can't even read this thread 😢

Sorry FYD!  

Safe to say you were not part of the 2018 product review? 🙂

This is the style I prefer. Just seems to be the easiest to use

https://www.golfworks.com/world-of-golf-ball-retrievers/p/gw0059/?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Safe to say you were not part of the 2018 product review? 🙂

No I wasn't if so they would probably all have ended in two pieces in the nearest dumpster.

To be fair I have nothing against those who use them properly to retrieve their own ball that may be stuck in some thick sticker bushes but is easily in sight.    But those who walk the perimeter of every hole with the retriever in hand ready to strike for any round white object they see, even 20 yards deep in trees or 10 feet off shore of a pond, are the ones I have no patience for.    Trust me we see plenty of those at our course 😩

No I wasn't if so they would probably all have ended in two pieces in the nearest dumpster.

To be fair I have nothing against those who use them properly to retrieve their own ball that may be stuck in some thick sticker bushes but is easily in sight.    But those who walk the perimeter of every hole with the retriever in hand ready to strike for any round white object they see, even 20 yards deep in trees or 10 feet off shore of a pond, are the ones I have no patience for.    Trust me we see plenty of those at our course 

They are just helping to protect the lawn mower blades and prevent the balls from contaminating the water.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

To be fair I have nothing against those who use them properly to retrieve their own ball that may be stuck in some thick sticker bushes but is easily in sight.    But those who walk the perimeter of every hole with the retriever in hand ready to strike for any round white object they see, even 20 yards deep in trees or 10 feet off shore of a pond, are the ones I have no patience for.    Trust me we see plenty of those at our course 😩

I walk/drive the edges when the course is empty. I WILL NOT hold up soneomes round retrieving a ball(s) that arent mine.  

I have the same retriever style as the OP.  Its on its last leg as its being held together with super glue and duct tape. I suppose it will break for good and be lost to the depths of the clubs murky waters. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

40 minutes ago, pulledabill said:

I walk/drive the edges when the course is empty. I WILL NOT hold up soneomes round retrieving a ball(s) that arent mine.  

I have the same retriever style as the OP.  Its on its last leg as its being held together with super glue and duct tape. I suppose it will break for good and be lost to the depths of the clubs murky waters. 

Time to get it re-gripped and re-shafted 🙂 

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

This is the style I prefer. Just seems to be the easiest to use

https://www.golfworks.com/world-of-golf-ball-retrievers/p/gw0059/?

I have seen quite a few of these being bagged; will check it out, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
To be fair I have nothing against those who use them properly to retrieve their own ball that may be stuck in some thick sticker bushes but is easily in sight.    But those who walk the perimeter of every hole with the retriever in hand ready to strike for any round white object they see, even 20 yards deep in trees or 10 feet off shore of a pond, are the ones I have no patience for.    Trust me we see plenty of those at our course 

We have a few of them at our club as well. The first thing they grab walking up to a water hole is a ball retriever. We also have a sharp dogleg on one of our par 5's and I often see a couple of guys rummaging through dense grass and probably poison ivy looking for balls there as well. I just don't get it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I hear you.  Today I got delayed a few minutes at the course by a ranger who was driving up and down by a creek that runs through the course fishing balls out of the creek.

I play cheap balls, so I dont really care if I plunk one in the water but for those who play Pro V1s or other expensive balls, I get wanting to fish your ball out of the water.

I dont even care if the course is empty and the ranger wants to fish for balls. Just be aware when customers are waiting for you and dont have so much trust in people to think that I won't skull a 9-iron and hit into you accidentally.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

You should see the retired “Ole Farts” in FL. who think it’s a part of the game to retrieve every ball they see.
I don’t mind if they fish for their own ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I have never purchased a ball retriever and never will. I was given a very old one by a good friend who was in his 90’s at the time and couldn’t refuse. When we got to FL and had our own cart I stuck it in the hole provided for it with a Buffalo Head Cover. Dam if someone didn’t steal the retriever and Head Cover one night outside a restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 1 year later...

This telescopic golf ball retriever from PROWITHLIN comes as a two-piece package, unlike many other similar affordable products. The simplicity of its design makes the tool easy to use, especially on regular-sized golf balls.

To start off, both of the kit elements feature a stainless steel collapsible pole that can be extended from 16.5 inches to 6.6 feet in a matter of seconds, making it great for catching balls in hard-to-reach spots such as bushes or shallow ponds. On top of that, the retracted length of just 16.5 inches makes both units fit just about every standard golf club bag nice and tight.

The only real issue is with the ball trap itself. Since you can't really fix the golf ball in place once it has been caught, it can fall out from the trap quite easily, provided you don't carry it as carefully as possible. To avoid this problem, we recommend tightening the head using a screwdriver of appropriate size. This way, you will be able to move the plastic sides of the trap closer to each other, leaving less room for the ball to escape.

Good and affordable golf equipment is hard to come by but PROWITHLIN absolutely nailed it with this model that is durable and flexible enough to handle almost all standard golf balls. Perfect for training sessions and casual golf games, the PROWITHLIN ball fetcher will be a great addition to both new and old golf kits.

No pain no gain

I've now been ball retriever-less since leaving mine at Bridger Creek GC in October 2019.  I need to invent one that looks like a utility iron in the bag.... to avoid the stigma 🙂

I have two retrievers.  When I'm at my course and riding in a cart, I grab the Search and Rescue retriever from the trunk or my car and put it between my bag and the bag strap on the cart.  I've had it for many years; It's plenty long and easy to use.  I always have my iGotcha retriever inside the long pocket of my carry bag for when I walk or when traveling.  I won it as a KP prize years ago.  It's the shortest one, and I wish it were a little longer.  It's not as effective as the S&R retriever, but I like that it doesn't have to fit in with the clubs.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I have two retrievers.  When I'm at my course and riding in a cart, I grab the Search and Rescue retriever from the trunk or my car and put it between my bag and the bag strap on the cart.  I've had it for many years; It's plenty long and easy to use.  I always have my iGotcha retriever inside the long pocket of my carry bag for when I walk or when traveling.  I won it as a KP prize years ago.  It's the shortest one, and I wish it were a little longer.  It's not as effective as the S&R retriever, but I like that it doesn't have to fit in with the clubs.

I have considered the one that can be hidden in the bag.  Seeing a tour level ball looking back at me, just beyond the reach of my 4i, has been frustrating at times.  Now for the record, I am not one to hold up play when ball hunting... but when the opportunity presents itself, I stock up 🥳.

37 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I have considered the one that can be hidden in the bag.  Seeing a tour level ball looking back at me, just beyond the reach of my 4i, has been frustrating at times.  Now for the record, I am not one to hold up play when ball hunting... but when the opportunity presents itself, I stock up 🥳.

Our ponds have a lot of reeds growing out of the water, seemingly where my ball usually goes.  lol  It's difficult to retrieve with most any retriever.  If it's too difficult, I leave it for someone more energetic and foolish than I am.  The ponds are low this time of the year and have steep banks, but if you can scale them, you can get down to the rocks.  The short retriever is not much good there; you can either get all the way down to the water's edge and you don't need it, or you are too far away and it won't reach.  That's why I carry the S&R retriever; I can reach the rocks from the edge of the hazard within climbing/sliding down the hill.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”