Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putter values

Kor.A.Door

Why do Ping putters hold zero value? I have a pretty new Vault 2.0 Anser Dale. All of the box stores are selling them for $299 new. I have one that is practically new, only used a couple times. It is for sale for $170 and I can’t even get a sniff of a sale at that price. It is ridiculous that these putters and others like cannot hold any value at all. Would someone rather spend 299 at GG instead of 170 or less. I don’t get it. It is a question. With a bit of a rant mixed in. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Welcome to the world of used stuff. Something is only worth as much as someone else will pay. Your price while fair may not be viewed by a large enough consumer market and therefore doesn’t get enough looks. Also no matter how low you price something people will ask you to go lower.

I feel your pain, but this is just the way it works.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Welcome to the world of used stuff. Something is only worth as much as someone else will pay. Your price while fair may not be viewed by a large enough consumer market and therefore doesn’t get enough looks. Also no matter how low you price something people will ask you to go lower.

I feel your pain, but this is just the way it works.

It crazy sometimes. Very frustrating. 

4 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

It crazy sometimes. Very frustrating. 

The craziest thing to me is if it has "Scotty Cameron" stamped into the metal anywhere, it can look like it has been thrown out of a moving car on the highway and it will still command a premium.

That Dale Anser you have is a sweet putter.  I am surprised it hasn't found a new home yet.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

9 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

The craziest thing to me is if it has "Scotty Cameron" stamped into the metal anywhere, it can look like it has been thrown out of a moving car on the highway and it will still command a premium.

That Dale Anser you have is a sweet putter.  I am surprised it hasn't found a new home yet.

stamp a circle T on it and multiply it ten fold- Mental!

Ping have made the best putters consistently for decades, it makes no sense the value would drop, but it does, which can only be good for bargain hunters and those with patience, and taste.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

1 minute ago, perseveringgolfer said:

stamp a circle T on it and multiply it ten fold- Mental!

Ping have made the best putters consistently for decades, it makes no sense the value would drop, but it does, which can only be good for bargain hunters and those with patience, and taste.

Couldn't agree more with the entire post.  Our problem is found in our used clubs are lefty clubs, and that used market is certainly best for the buyer.  Hang in there @Kor.A.Door, that Ping is too nice of a putter not to find a new home.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I’ve checked Ebay, and pretty much anywhere I can find, and I have found 2 of these in LH, and for the price I have it at, you cannot beat it. 

I was thinking the same thing about the Scotty’s. I have seen scotty’s That like like they care out of the garbage dump and absolutely trashed be u for sale for 350. You have to put another 250 in it just so it can be usable. It’s crazy 

I’m gonna flip this topic around to give you another (mine) perspective on putters. I had used the same PING G5 B60 putter since I bought it wholesale back in 2003 until earlier this year, when I decided to tinker with several other putters I had sitting around. I putted with a modified TM Spider for a bit and decided it wasn’t the one. I bought used for $90 at Edwin Watts a Odyssey blade putter with a arm lock shaft on it and tried that for a bit and it just didn’t pass the feel test after a few months.

So one day this summer I was rummaging through all the old clubs I have in my house and started practice putting with a 20 year old Tour Edge mallet putter. I took it on the course and tried it for a bit and said, sure,
why not. I went to Edwin Watts and had them put an updated fat grip on it and here I am putting better with this old beat up thing then anything else I’ve tried recently. I mean, I paid $25 for it 20 years ago off of the clearance rack at some golf shop. The grip I just put on it cost more then what I originally paid for the putter if that says anything. But right now it’s not for sale. You could offer me $200 for it and I wouldn’t be interested. It ain’t worth even as much as the grip on it, but it’s found a permanent home in the bag.
IMG_2935.JPG
IMG_2936.JPG
IMG_2937.JPG
IMG_2938.JPG

One of my most common things about putters I say is that you could put a 2x4 on the end of a broomstick handle and putt with it. Who cares as long as it works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

It’s golf clubs in general. But a driver today at full price and before your unwrap the plastic trade it in and see what the value is. It will be between 50-60% of the retail price.

there at certain brands that retain value or only lose a little bit like Scotty and Miura. 

Dime a dozen clubs have no value to others so the return value will be minimal. Anyone buying golf gear as an investment it headed down the wrong path 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Not using it as an investment, and not trying to make any money at all off of it. I’m talking about seeing the same putter for sale at the store for 199 used. Knowing full well they gave the guy 100 bucks for the trade, and someone will buy it. I am talking about saving the next guy anywhere from 30-50 bucks by selling the same one for 150,  it gives the seller some value, and still saves the next guy from the markup of he box store. I always search for used stuff before I buy anything. I would rather give a guy 170 for an item rather than pay GG 200 for the same thing. Do people really not like better pricing. 

37 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Not using it as an investment, and not trying to make any money at all off of it. I’m talking about seeing the same putter for sale at the store for 199 used. Knowing full well they gave the guy 100 bucks for the trade, and someone will buy it. I am talking about saving the next guy anywhere from 30-50 bucks by selling the same one for 150,  it gives the seller some value, and still saves the next guy from the markup of he box store. I always search for used stuff before I buy anything. I would rather give a guy 170 for an item rather than pay GG 200 for the same thing. Do people really not like better pricing. 

The investment comment wasn’t directed at you it was a general statement, there’s plenty of posts around the various forums of people complaining about the lack of trade in or resale market for clubs and why would anyone invest in new gear.

name a consumer product that the trade in value is higher or equal to the resale value? You trade a care in for $3000 dealer sells it for $5000. 

There’s people who want a good deal and there’s others who won’t buy used from some unknown entity. Some won’t sell to unknown either. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The investment comment wasn’t directed at you it was a general statement, there’s plenty of posts around the various forums of people complaining about the lack of trade in or resale market for clubs and why would anyone invest in new gear.

name a consumer product that the trade in value is higher or equal to the resale value? You trade a care in for $3000 dealer sells it for $5000. 

There’s people who want a good deal and there’s others who won’t buy used from some unknown entity. Some won’t sell to unknown either. 

I get what you’re saying. It’s just frustrating. As I said in the original post. It’s questions, along with some ranting. 

1. Where are you selling this club? Most of my success either comes from eBay or golfwrx. Sorry, but there's not enough lefty traffic or demand on this site. The problem with eBay is a lot of people will watch the club but won't pull the trigger on the purchase and that gets annoying and the problem with golfwrx is that people will low ball the crap out of you. 

2. Most of the lefties are up in Canada and the Canadian dollar is really low vs the US dollar right now. It's really driven down demand from our friends up north. 

3. Ping did a disservice to the second hand seller by offering the same model head at various price points. You can buy a cheaper, used Sigma 2 Anser with an adjustable shaft instead of a gently used Vault. Yes, the vault is milled and looks so much better than the Sigma, but if a guy can save $20 but keep the same head shape, he'll go with the Sigma. I think that's probably the issue you're having right now. 

4. Just be patient with the club...a buyer will eventually find his/her way to your club. Sometimes my clubs sell quickly, others I have to wait a few weeks. Expand into other sites. Heck even Craigslist might be worth a shot. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

7 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

1. Where are you selling this club? Most of my success either comes from eBay or golfwrx. Sorry, but there's not enough lefty traffic or demand on this site. The problem with eBay is a lot of people will watch the club but won't pull the trigger on the purchase and that gets annoying and the problem with golfwrx is that people will low ball the crap out of you. 

2. Most of the lefties are up in Canada and the Canadian dollar is really low vs the US dollar right now. It's really driven down demand from our friends up north. 

3. Ping did a disservice to the second hand seller by offering the same model head at various price points. You can buy a cheaper, used Sigma 2 Anser with an adjustable shaft instead of a gently used Vault. Yes, the vault is milled and looks so much better than the Sigma, but if a guy can save $20 but keep the same head shape, he'll go with the Sigma. I think that's probably the issue you're having right now. 

4. Just be patient with the club...a buyer will eventually find his/her way to your club. Sometimes my clubs sell quickly, others I have to wait a few weeks. Expand into other sites. Heck even Craigslist might be worth a shot. 

I have put it for sale here, but not exclusively here. It’s for sale on a lefty site, and I am getting seriously low balled. I don’t have to sell it, it just isn’t being used. I figure I’d sell it to someone and save them the box store trade in markup, but it looks like I will just keep it at this point. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to flip a Scotty NP2 Terylium recently for a profit but other than that I don't really plan on getting much out of equipment I purchase. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0