TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Testers--Are You An Influencer?

Golfspy_CG2

The only thing I've tested out & reviewed have been balls.  And for the most part, no one has ever asked me much about them.  For really no other reason is that they never noticed, nor cared or more than likely are just happy with their ball.  And make no mistake, I'm no magician with the ball either.  "Hey wow, you spun that ball all the way off the green!  What ball are you playing?"  Yeah none of that EVER happens.  More likely .... "Hey, you sliced that ball off the map.  What ball are you playing?  Just so I know not to buy it."  So yeah, maybe that could be a big influence as to why I'm not much of an influencer.  😉

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I’ve got a couple of guys waiting to see how the Ping G410 irons will work for me. They are interested in my switch from Regular to Senior shafts in these G410’s.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Great topic Rob!

I know I've read and have been influenced by other reviews for certain products. Knowing what quality of content is being provided has really helped me in the few reviews that I've done. 

My very first review was the 2018 Bridgestone XW-1 Wedges (still in the bag!). I do specifically know that 1 friend purchased a full set of wedges just by golfing with me and trying out my set. I know of at least a few others who didn't necessarily purchase the wedges but found unexpected interest in Bridgestone as I had mentioned being highly impressed with Bridgestone clubs while researching their lineup. Just as much as I had hoped our review would influence MGS readers and fellow golf buddies, I'd like to think that the reviews played a part in the 2019 lineup. One of the most mentioned/discussed visual aspects of the club was the large mass badge placed on the back of the club. While it was a functional piece of the club, many found it off-putting. I actually like the way it looks. Well wouldn't you know it, 2019 models came out without the badge. I'm sure Bridgestone has other mediums of test groups to help conclude their decisions, but I'd like to think we were the most important.. 😋 

Lynx Prowler VT - This testing was interesting to say the least. While the clubs were beautiful and fun to play, there is literally NO market for Lynx Clubs in the US at the moment. Even their website was mostly under repair while we were testing so there was just little to no reference throughout the whole process. Because there's no benchmark or established presence, people just can't get excited about something that they don't know how to get their hands on.. with little effort anyhow. The hardest part of the process was trying to get people to take the clubs seriously. The people that I showed the clubs to were honestly more interested in my Maltby's. I'm chalking this one up to Lynx preparing themselves for the US Market and the testing was intended to be more part of their R&D rather than marketing. Additionally, when I had ended the testing and determined that the clubs were better suited in someone else's hands rather than mine, it was nearly impossible to find someone even interested in taking them. It left me with a pit in my stomach because they are such wonderful clubs. 

Here's a twist...  

It's interesting that you ask about influencing others to buy.. but what about to avoid? 

When I did the Bridgestone e12 ball review, I was very up front and open about my dislike for the ball's wear and overall cost per ball when only being able to use 1 ball max per round due to excessive poor wear. I've discouraged quite a few friends and I'm sure reviewers from purchasing this particular ball.. that said, I absolutely LOVE the higher end Bridgestone line. Specifically the Tour B XS and have encouraged many others to look into them.

All of that said, I wouldn't have undone any of the testing opportunities. Good, bad, indifferent, it's an experience that we're extremely fortunate to be a part of!  Thanks MGS and keep up ALL of the great work!

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I have only tested the Lynx irons for MGS and I must say that no one was really interested due to the name. To be fair most of my golfing buddies weren’t playing when I started so they never really knew the name Lynx.
However with that said, there isn’t a round that goes by where somebody will ask what I have heard or know about some piece of equipment (usually drivers). I would say that on average I quote something I read on the blog, reviews, or from other users comments on equipment.
This place is a wealth of knowledge and while perhaps not individually influencing on everything, the sum of it all is tops in my book!

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I dont know if anyone bought them because of me but I few people did ask my about the Tommy Armour Atomics and I gave them a fair, honest opinion of them.

If it caused people to try them out themselves, like them and buy a set for themselves, cool.  IMO, TA is a highly underrated brand that more people should give a serous look.

I wouldnt say that makes me an influencer, at least not in the way that I view an influencer.  To me, an influencer is someone who makes people want to buy something because they use it and because people want to be like that person.  I would hope that no one would buy something that I tested just because of what I said about it or because I was using it but I do hope that it would cause them to give it a serious look for themselves and see if they like it.  If anything, I would say how harsh I was on the Atomics would make people NOT want to buy them. LOL

Edited by ZenGolfer

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I have done a couple of tests for MGS. I did the Renegar wedges which were pretty decent after I modified them for me . Some folks that looked at them locally said they reminded them of the Solus wedges which they were basically the same thing. I remember a bud and mine were paired with a couple of out of town golfers and I was spinning the crap out of those wedges. One wanted to know if they were legal? I told him absolutely. He remarked he wondered. My buddy told him I could spin any wedge with my trap cut hitting style. I do not think these guys had any fine golf knowledge whatsoever because they looked confused. I do not think I persuaded anyone to buy them even though I tried. I felt a moral obligation to promote them since they gave them to me free to test and evaluate.

The next test I did was the Original Nexus range finder and I still have and use the one they gave me. I know for a fact I was responsible for several locals buying them and using them. I can remember my bud down the road at the golf shop sold them. I was in there one day and mentioned the fact I was one of the testers on MGS and they looked it up. In fact they used all our reviews to promote and sell that unit. He sold a bunch of them

As far as tests I do not do a lot of them because as you guys know I am into the older equipment. I also do not have the time anymore to test equipment like I do it. Also I do not apply much due to the fact I will not really use the equipment and I would rather another member that would actually need or use the equipment to test it

Now I do like to read the reviews and take some pride in the fact I was chosen for the team that developed the testing templates for the reviews. Brings back pleasant memories of working with guys like Shawn and others on that team. Shawn and others did the actual set up on the computer I just added my opinion. But I will say every review I have read the Members have done a great and honest job.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I hope that my reviews help people make an educated purchase.  We all like different looks of clubs and they will play different for everyone.  As a tester all I can do is tell you how the club played for me to the best of my ability.  There are so many great reviews by this members of this community, we all help the consumer make a better educated decision.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

1 minute ago, jacustomgolf said:

I hope that my reviews help people make an educated purchase.  We all like different looks of clubs and they will play different for everyone.  As a tester all I can do is tell you how the club played for me to the best of my ability.  There are so many great reviews by this members of this community, we all help the consumer make a better educated decision.  

Whenever I hear someone who is not as good as they think they are talking about how you'll never get good playing GI clubs, I immediately reference you, in saying, "Well I know a  guy who said the G700's helped him take another  .75 to 1.2 strokes off his game, when they scoff at that saying it's not  much.   I say, "Oh I  forgot to mention he was already a +1.5  🙂  

At that point, I say, "The Defense Rests"   ha'

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

5 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Whenever I hear someone who is not as good as they think they are talking about how you'll never get good playing GI clubs, I immediately reference you, in saying, "Well I know a  guy who said the G700's helped him take another  .75 to 1.2 strokes off his game, when they scoff at that saying it's not  much.   I say, "Oh I  forgot to mention he was already a +1.5  🙂  

At that point, I say, "The Defense Rests"   ha'

You will never hear me dictate what someone else should be playing. I will give opinions on certain equipment and why it will or will not work for me. For me it is older blade irons and not CBs. But I have always been of the contention that there is no one etched in stone way to swing or play this game and that goes for equipment too. I know more mechanics on golf clubs than I do the swing. I have never been a student of the golf swing. But I can see how certain clubs can work for someone's swing and game due to the mechanical designs built in

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I think the member reviews are more influential than the Most Wanted testing. I have made purchases based off of both. My bag was a top performer for a couple of years. The guy I bought it from even advertised it as a Most Wanted bag. 

Members usually do a good enough job describing their game and preferences that I can tell how to take their feedback. If there are a lot of similarities or similar preferences, I consider their comments with more weight than someone who obviously favors something that I can't stand. 

I showed off the grips I tested to whomever would listen,  but those are such a personal thing that no one was wowed into running out and regripping. 

I just had some people over last night and had the Cleveland Frontline out with some others on the BirdieBall green. One guy liked the old satin Elevado soft feel better. Funny, because that was why I dumped it in the first place. 

So I think the way the MGS reviews can help influence is that people state what they like or don't so well so the readers can be influenced correctly. "Gold Star -Goes Far" isn't that helpful to me. 

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

MGS Reviews have influenced me to not necessarily purchase an item but at least look at it seriously.
I believe MGS Member Reviews are done by regular guys doing their best to give accurate unbiased information.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I'd have to say yes and no to being an influencer.  I've told anyone who'll listen about the Cobra F8's and the PuttOUT.  But I haven't seen F8's in the bags of any of my friends, and if they've bought a PuttOUT, they haven't told me.  I'm pretty sure we sold at least one set of F8's to another forum member during last year's challenge, though.

I have gotten a friend to start using Arccos based on my constant talking about it, I've gotten my boss to buy SuperSpeed sticks, and I got interested in them based on what I read here (in addition to what I've seen from my daughter).

@JohnSmalls has gotten me to start playing the Snell MTB-X after he included them in my prize pack from this year's Hard Rock Challenge.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

4 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I'd have to say yes and no to being an influencer.  I've told anyone who'll listen about the Cobra F8's and the PuttOUT.  But I haven't seen F8's in the bags of any of my friends, and if they've bought a PuttOUT, they haven't told me.  I'm pretty sure we sold at least one set of F8's to another forum member during last year's challenge, though.

I have gotten a friend to start using Arccos based on my constant talking about it, I've gotten my boss to buy SuperSpeed sticks, and I got interested in them based on what I read here (in addition to what I've seen from my daughter).

@JohnSmalls has gotten me to start playing the Snell MTB-X after he included them in my prize pack from this year's Hard Rock Challenge.

John did you a good turn there on the Snell balls--- I have been playing them for about a year now--- But my sources have dried up for now and I have plenty of Pro Vs so I am back on those---- Soon as my sources come back through on the Snell and Vice balls I will be back on them

G

I would say yes and no. I do believe that the reviews that we do here carry a lot of weight with the average golfer. We are a group of golfers that have different skill levels and golfing backgrounds that readers can relate to. I think one of the biggest takeaways being a member here is to try out different brands and find the one that works for you. BYOB (Be your own brand).

Last year, when I was shopping for new irons I was influenced to try the Cobra F8 irons and honestly, they were not on my radar. The decision I made was between them and another set that performed equally as well and the tiebreaker came down to the excellent job the reviewers did here.

Being a member here, I don't consider myself an influencer. Sure, I talk to my golf buddies about testing and let people try the product out. I also like to talk to people on the course and the range about gear, I love hearing their opinions on things from their drivers to the balls they use. I consider myself to be an ambassador for MyGolfSpy and for the forums here. More than anything I want people to be informed on this great game and the members here are highly knowledgeable on the game of golf.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have had quite a few  folks ask about my Cobra set up, but am unsure if any purchases have followed yet. I do beat the drum for Cobra if anyone asks, because they make a phenomenal product and people should give them a shot when they are looking for something new. For Arccos, two of my friends have begun to use it based on seeing me use it on the course and the data that it returns.

Personally, I used the reviews to help inform me if I'm barking up the right tree or not with a club purchase. I don't see my bag changing too much going forward as I am thrilled with the set up, but the TA3 putter in the bag is due purely to the reviews on the forum.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

When I was testing the Srixon Z Star's there were a number of people who were interested in what I was testing and a number of them ended up buying some after having never played them before. I gave a few away to people to try and they really enjoyed them which was great. I do a fair amount of talking about MGS and have a number join as a result. I, like most people, talk about things that I feel strongly about and I promote things I find a benefit. It's actually one of the things I appreciate most about this great site - the ability for the common man to influence the buying decisions of other golfers. It's quite an opportunity and responsibility which I'm quite grateful for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer