MGS Testers--Are You An Influencer?

Our Sponsors

I've been fortunate enough to test irons and a putter. I can't say I know of anyone directly who purchased the i210s but I also believe those wouldn't necessarily for everyone. For a brief time working at a golf shop I did sell a few sets based off the fact I owned them and loved them. 

Putter was a different story, I know I half a dozen ppl who have bought strokelabs after trying or looking at the one which I tested for MGS. 

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a question for anyone who has tested/reviewed a club here on the forum.    When you played your club or used whatever you were testing, at your home course or anywhere else for that matte

I hope so. Even outside of the MGS testing, I love sharing my golf experiences.  The main reason I started threads to discuss my fitting experience and my lessons/swing changes is so that others

The bold part is one thing almost every tester that I've worked with or read their reviews does a very good job on.  Those of you who have tested--as you have--know very well part of our instructions

I’m not much of an influencer however I did get a couple of old farts in the grocery store to pick up a six pack of prune juice.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

I’m not much of an influencer however I did get a couple of old farts in the grocery store to pick up a six pack of prune juice.

So you just like regular guys;  or should I say guys that are regular?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

So you were influenced by MGS to create a thread on being an influencer and asking the forum members if we considered ourselves influencers based on our influential tests. emoji2957.png

Yes. I guess I was.  Ha 

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Not directly, but I'm guessing most if not all of the MGS Tester Reviews influence the golfing community at large one way or another. For me personally, that's how I found the forum.  I was researching new irons (PE2 replacement) and found some Hit Squad and Official Tester Reviews.  Not only were they well written, but I found them more real and believable. 

After joining the forum and starting some dialogue with our members, my search for new irons suddenly had a new element/dimension that wasn't there simply looking at OEM product reviews and YT videos... fellow golfers having recent experiences going through the same equipment decisions.  

So while I may never know for certain, I do suspect there are a few more G410 drivers and G410 irons being bagged around the world as a result of my reviews.  Man, that's a lot of weight and responsibility to be lugging around 🤣.

• Like 7

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

16 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Not directly, but I'm guessing most if not all of the MGS Tester Reviews influence the golfing community at large one way or another. For me personally, that's how I found the forum.  I was researching new irons (PE2 replacement) and found some Hit Squad and Official Tester Reviews.  Not only were they well written, but I found them more real and believable. 

After joining the forum and starting some dialogue with our members, my search for new irons suddenly had a new element/dimension that wasn't there simply looking at OEM product reviews and YT videos... fellow golfers having recent experiences going through the same equipment decisions.  

So while I may never know for certain, I do suspect there are a few more G410 drivers and G410 irons being bagged around the world as a result of my reviews.  Man, that's a lot of weight and responsibility to be lugging around 🤣.

The bold part is one thing almost every tester that I've worked with or read their reviews does a very good job on.  Those of you who have tested--as you have--know very well part of our instructions in the very beginning of the template we send out is to say to be honest, if it works how it was advertised or touted by the OEM say so, if you see it not doing so for you...by all means say that as well.  I say the member here do that to a level that is not seen anywhere else.   

• Like 9

Several people know I had the opportunity to test the Epic Flash for MGS. Many have seen my results with the driver and were very impressed. Unfortunately, none of these people spend that kind of money on golf, so I know none of them have even thought much about purchasing it.

I tried to give the most honest review possible, but in doing so, I also wanted to make sure people could get a good understanding of my game through my review and updates. I feel like so many golfers are in my handicap range, and I hope that my results with the Epic Flash really speak volumes about what it can do not only for low-cappers like @THEZIPR23, but also for mid-high handicappers like myself.

It's also why I spend so much time on my "How'd you play?" and "What did you practice/work on today?" posts. Like @jlukes said, I want everyone to see the whole process, not just a one-off capture of how I hit a club at a point-in-time. 

I certainly rely on other's opinions on this board. We have so many knowledgeable members here, and through reading all of the posts I feel like I even have a basic understanding of many of our golf abilities/games. I was persuaded to try Snell because of the ball test, but switched to the MTB-X after reading some of the feedback on the forums. I absolutely love that ball, and I would never have tried Snell without MGS or the MTB-X specifically without other people's experiences posted on here.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.9 (Last Updated Oct. 25, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4", Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
5-GW:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2", KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / 
srixon.png.43e385967a8ed97dd1678520c0dc8ef3.png Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I have been very forunate since joinng MGS. With being said I let most people try my club review clubs and have give out sleeves of balls to atrangers. Has anyone bought a product solely because of me, I do not know. I do know that several people have told me they love this or that and will be looking at a club, brand or ball in the future.

Played with two guys a couple of weeks ago and 1 asked to try my Cobra F8+ driver. He was playing a Titleist not sure which one. But he hit them both and love the Cobra. Get to the fairway and his two balls were 2 feet from each other and he was adamant he's going to look into a new driver. Mind you he was fit for his and not mine..
So I do think we influence people we interact with..

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I loved being a tester and hoped to be an "influencer" but very doubtful i was. I would love to test out a driver or some balls in the future or maybe a wedge. The process of being a tester is very cool. It gets you to think of equipment in a different manner.

• Like 3

The only thing I've tested out & reviewed have been balls.  And for the most part, no one has ever asked me much about them.  For really no other reason is that they never noticed, nor cared or more than likely are just happy with their ball.  And make no mistake, I'm no magician with the ball either.  "Hey wow, you spun that ball all the way off the green!  What ball are you playing?"  Yeah none of that EVER happens.  More likely .... "Hey, you sliced that ball off the map.  What ball are you playing?  Just so I know not to buy it."  So yeah, maybe that could be a big influence as to why I'm not much of an influencer.  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:   :titelist-small:  TS2 9.5* UST ATTAS COOOL 

Fairways  :titelist-small: HZRDUS Smoke 13.5*

Driving Iron:  :titelist-small: U500 17* UST V2

Irons  :titelist-small: T300 4 & 5 iron, T200 6 - W Project X Catalyst 100cw

Wedges  :vokey-small: SM7 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter  :cameron-small:  Newport  

Ball  :titelist-small: 2020 AVX

I’ve got a couple of guys waiting to see how the Ping G410 irons will work for me. They are interested in my switch from Regular to Senior shafts in these G410’s.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Great topic Rob!

I know I've read and have been influenced by other reviews for certain products. Knowing what quality of content is being provided has really helped me in the few reviews that I've done. 

My very first review was the 2018 Bridgestone XW-1 Wedges (still in the bag!). I do specifically know that 1 friend purchased a full set of wedges just by golfing with me and trying out my set. I know of at least a few others who didn't necessarily purchase the wedges but found unexpected interest in Bridgestone as I had mentioned being highly impressed with Bridgestone clubs while researching their lineup. Just as much as I had hoped our review would influence MGS readers and fellow golf buddies, I'd like to think that the reviews played a part in the 2019 lineup. One of the most mentioned/discussed visual aspects of the club was the large mass badge placed on the back of the club. While it was a functional piece of the club, many found it off-putting. I actually like the way it looks. Well wouldn't you know it, 2019 models came out without the badge. I'm sure Bridgestone has other mediums of test groups to help conclude their decisions, but I'd like to think we were the most important.. 😋 

Lynx Prowler VT - This testing was interesting to say the least. While the clubs were beautiful and fun to play, there is literally NO market for Lynx Clubs in the US at the moment. Even their website was mostly under repair while we were testing so there was just little to no reference throughout the whole process. Because there's no benchmark or established presence, people just can't get excited about something that they don't know how to get their hands on.. with little effort anyhow. The hardest part of the process was trying to get people to take the clubs seriously. The people that I showed the clubs to were honestly more interested in my Maltby's. I'm chalking this one up to Lynx preparing themselves for the US Market and the testing was intended to be more part of their R&D rather than marketing. Additionally, when I had ended the testing and determined that the clubs were better suited in someone else's hands rather than mine, it was nearly impossible to find someone even interested in taking them. It left me with a pit in my stomach because they are such wonderful clubs. 

Here's a twist...  

It's interesting that you ask about influencing others to buy.. but what about to avoid? 

When I did the Bridgestone e12 ball review, I was very up front and open about my dislike for the ball's wear and overall cost per ball when only being able to use 1 ball max per round due to excessive poor wear. I've discouraged quite a few friends and I'm sure reviewers from purchasing this particular ball.. that said, I absolutely LOVE the higher end Bridgestone line. Specifically the Tour B XS and have encouraged many others to look into them.

All of that said, I wouldn't have undone any of the testing opportunities. Good, bad, indifferent, it's an experience that we're extremely fortunate to be a part of!  Thanks MGS and keep up ALL of the great work!

Edited by azstu324
  • Like 4

:cobra-small:  F8+ 9*/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:adams-small:  Tight Lies2  3 wood (14*) / UST ProForce V2 Black (S)

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) / GP Microsuede

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW 50/6 + 56/12 Wedge 
:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 / Lamkin Sink Fit 

I have only tested the Lynx irons for MGS and I must say that no one was really interested due to the name. To be fair most of my golfing buddies weren’t playing when I started so they never really knew the name Lynx.
However with that said, there isn’t a round that goes by where somebody will ask what I have heard or know about some piece of equipment (usually drivers). I would say that on average I quote something I read on the blog, reviews, or from other users comments on equipment.
This place is a wealth of knowledge and while perhaps not individually influencing on everything, the sum of it all is tops in my book!

• Like 5

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

I dont know if anyone bought them because of me but I few people did ask my about the Tommy Armour Atomics and I gave them a fair, honest opinion of them.

If it caused people to try them out themselves, like them and buy a set for themselves, cool.  IMO, TA is a highly underrated brand that more people should give a serous look.

I wouldnt say that makes me an influencer, at least not in the way that I view an influencer.  To me, an influencer is someone who makes people want to buy something because they use it and because people want to be like that person.  I would hope that no one would buy something that I tested just because of what I said about it or because I was using it but I do hope that it would cause them to give it a serious look for themselves and see if they like it.  If anything, I would say how harsh I was on the Atomics would make people NOT want to buy them. LOL

Edited by ZenGolfer
  • Like 3

Whats in my Top-Flite Gamer 2019 cart bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Top-Flite Gamer 2020 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Pinemeadow PGX SL

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I have done a couple of tests for MGS. I did the Renegar wedges which were pretty decent after I modified them for me . Some folks that looked at them locally said they reminded them of the Solus wedges which they were basically the same thing. I remember a bud and mine were paired with a couple of out of town golfers and I was spinning the crap out of those wedges. One wanted to know if they were legal? I told him absolutely. He remarked he wondered. My buddy told him I could spin any wedge with my trap cut hitting style. I do not think these guys had any fine golf knowledge whatsoever because they looked confused. I do not think I persuaded anyone to buy them even though I tried. I felt a moral obligation to promote them since they gave them to me free to test and evaluate.

The next test I did was the Original Nexus range finder and I still have and use the one they gave me. I know for a fact I was responsible for several locals buying them and using them. I can remember my bud down the road at the golf shop sold them. I was in there one day and mentioned the fact I was one of the testers on MGS and they looked it up. In fact they used all our reviews to promote and sell that unit. He sold a bunch of them

As far as tests I do not do a lot of them because as you guys know I am into the older equipment. I also do not have the time anymore to test equipment like I do it. Also I do not apply much due to the fact I will not really use the equipment and I would rather another member that would actually need or use the equipment to test it

Now I do like to read the reviews and take some pride in the fact I was chosen for the team that developed the testing templates for the reviews. Brings back pleasant memories of working with guys like Shawn and others on that team. Shawn and others did the actual set up on the computer I just added my opinion. But I will say every review I have read the Members have done a great and honest job.

• Like 5

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

I hope that my reviews help people make an educated purchase.  We all like different looks of clubs and they will play different for everyone.  As a tester all I can do is tell you how the club played for me to the best of my ability.  There are so many great reviews by this members of this community, we all help the consumer make a better educated decision.  

• Like 3

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Sub70 16* 4 wood

Irons:  Sub 70 

699 Pro - 3 Iron (4 iron bent to 20*)

639 CB 4 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges:

Titleist Vokey SM7 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Taylormade Spider
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Bag: Sub 70 Cart Bag
Handicap index:  +3.5

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

1 minute ago, jacustomgolf said:

I hope that my reviews help people make an educated purchase.  We all like different looks of clubs and they will play different for everyone.  As a tester all I can do is tell you how the club played for me to the best of my ability.  There are so many great reviews by this members of this community, we all help the consumer make a better educated decision.  

Whenever I hear someone who is not as good as they think they are talking about how you'll never get good playing GI clubs, I immediately reference you, in saying, "Well I know a  guy who said the G700's helped him take another  .75 to 1.2 strokes off his game, when they scoff at that saying it's not  much.   I say, "Oh I  forgot to mention he was already a +1.5  🙂  

At that point, I say, "The Defense Rests"   ha'

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Whenever I hear someone who is not as good as they think they are talking about how you'll never get good playing GI clubs, I immediately reference you, in saying, "Well I know a  guy who said the G700's helped him take another  .75 to 1.2 strokes off his game, when they scoff at that saying it's not  much.   I say, "Oh I  forgot to mention he was already a +1.5  🙂  

At that point, I say, "The Defense Rests"   ha'

You will never hear me dictate what someone else should be playing. I will give opinions on certain equipment and why it will or will not work for me. For me it is older blade irons and not CBs. But I have always been of the contention that there is no one etched in stone way to swing or play this game and that goes for equipment too. I know more mechanics on golf clubs than I do the swing. I have never been a student of the golf swing. But I can see how certain clubs can work for someone's swing and game due to the mechanical designs built in

• Like 4

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

I think the member reviews are more influential than the Most Wanted testing. I have made purchases based off of both. My bag was a top performer for a couple of years. The guy I bought it from even advertised it as a Most Wanted bag. 

Members usually do a good enough job describing their game and preferences that I can tell how to take their feedback. If there are a lot of similarities or similar preferences, I consider their comments with more weight than someone who obviously favors something that I can't stand. 

I showed off the grips I tested to whomever would listen,  but those are such a personal thing that no one was wowed into running out and regripping. 

I just had some people over last night and had the Cleveland Frontline out with some others on the BirdieBall green. One guy liked the old satin Elevado soft feel better. Funny, because that was why I dumped it in the first place. 

So I think the way the MGS reviews can help influence is that people state what they like or don't so well so the readers can be influenced correctly. "Gold Star -Goes Far" isn't that helpful to me. 

• Like 4

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5