Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Annual swing check

I didn’t quite know how to title this one. About a month ago I went for what I thought was going to be an hour long lesson.

As I was warming up on our back range I kept hitting 9 iron after 9 iron 30 feet right of where I was trying to aim - the shots were well struck but no matter what I did they went right.

My teacher arrived just as I was letting out an exasperated cry after yet another shot. “Hit one and I will stand behind you to check your alignment.” I hit one, same result. Here’s what he saw.

My feet were aligned straight at my target but my shoulders were aiming on the line my ball was starting. Further my back foot was flared out making it difficult for me to get aligned properly and creating some other issues. I guess this happened either because I had gained so much weight or during my weight loss. Even there way he had me square the back foot and hit a few shots - while it felt uncomfortable there was no longer a need for a lesson.

Since that day the old Rev has returned, consistent solid hit strikes through the bag with just a touch of draw, lots of them.

I’m writing this as a reminder that sometimes it’s the simple things and it’s important to periodically check your fundamentals, grip, set up, alignment, posture. That often needs a second set of eyes but it can make a works of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 minutes ago, revkev said:

I didn’t quite know how to title this one. About a month ago I went for what I thought was going to be an hour long lesson.

As I was warming up on our back range I kept hitting 9 iron after 9 iron 30 feet right of where I was trying to aim - the shots were well struck but no matter what I did they went right.

My teacher arrived just as I was letting out an exasperated cry after yet another shot. “Hit one and I will stand behind you to check your alignment.” I hit one, same result. Here’s what he saw.

My feet were aligned straight at my target but my shoulders were aiming on the line my ball was starting. Further my back foot was flared out making it difficult for me to get aligned properly and creating some other issues. I guess this happened either because I had gained so much weight or during my weight loss. Even there way he had me square the back foot and hit a few shots - while it felt uncomfortable there was no longer a need for a lesson.

Since that day the old Rev has returned, consistent solid hit strikes through the bag with just a touch of draw, lots of them.

I’m writing this as a reminder that sometimes it’s the simple things and it’s important to periodically check your fundamentals, grip, set up, alignment, posture. That often needs a second set of eyes but it can make a works of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Great tip Rev!

I'll echo this .... when I was recently doing a fitting my irons were fine but when I got to the driver things started going left and coming back.  

Thankfully the fitter had been a coach in the past and - he did say that he hates to give tips to guys during a fitting but he did notice something and it was pretty consistent....

I was setting up and aligning fine and then I got behind the ball and in an effort to hit up on the ball I tilted right.  However, when I did that it opened my left shoulder!  Something I didn't even realize I was doing but easy to see from behind.

Simple things can make a big difference.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024: