Jump to content
dvp17

what shaft do I use for a 2 iron

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

I use my 2iron on and off the tee, i currently have a kuro kage hybrid shaft in it but its starting to splinter. I don’t want a steel shaft is their a graphite shaft that is strong and meant for this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as the tip diameter works any graphite shaft should work. You should be able to pickup any graphite shaft and not have splintering issues. I am assuming it is splintering near the hosel and aftermarket which would mean incorrect assembly or mistreatment and not that the shaft is inappropriate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

As long as the tip diameter works any graphite shaft should work. You should be able to pickup any graphite shaft and not have splintering issues. I am assuming it is splintering near the hosel and aftermarket which would mean incorrect assembly or mistreatment and not that the shaft is inappropriate.

So taking divots and such with a graphite 2 iron shaft is a normal thing. I don’t know anyone else with one so im in the dark here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So taking divots and such with a graphite 2 iron shaft is a normal thing. I don’t know anyone else with one so im in the dark here.


Yep, normal thing. Why would a 2 iron be any different than a 9 iron, fairway wood, driving iron or hybrid with a graphite shaft?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

 


Yep, normal thing. Why would a 2 iron be any different than a 9 iron, fairway wood, driving iron or hybrid with a graphite shaft?

 

I dunno man I have in my head that graphite is weaker than steel and splinters where steel wont. And it feels weird seeing it in an iron don’t get me wrong i love it but anytime i take a deep divot my heart drops a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dvp17 said:

I dunno man I have in my head that graphite is weaker than steel and splinters where steel wont. And it feels weird seeing it in an iron don’t get me wrong i love it but anytime i take a deep divot my heart drops a little.

While any product can malfunction, there is no reason to think that graphite shaft can't handle high swing speeds and repeated impact, even on iron shots taking divots. Bryson DeChambeau swings his driver over 115mph and just played a tournament with graphite shafts in every single club in his bag, driver through putter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

While any product can malfunction, there is no reason to think that graphite shaft can't handle high swing speeds and repeated impact, even on iron shots taking divots. Bryson DeChambeau swings his driver over 115mph and just played a tournament with graphite shafts in every single club in his bag, driver through putter.

i gotta get those rebar shafts man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
While any product can malfunction, there is no reason to think that graphite shaft can't handle high swing speeds and repeated impact, even on iron shots taking divots. Bryson DeChambeau swings his driver over 115mph and just played a tournament with graphite shafts in every single club in his bag, driver through putter.

While Bryson has made news because he is using graphite from top to bottom there are a few using graphite in their irons.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 2:50 PM, cnosil said:

While Bryson has made news because he is using graphite from top to bottom there are a few using graphite in their irons.

 

... Not sure how many here swing at PGA Tour swing speeds, but there are plenty of players on the Champions Tour and LPGA that swing 100mph+ using graphite in their irons. I am around 100 and have been using graphite in my irons for over 10 years and never had a splintering or any other QC problem with mine. Using masking tape and a proper saw will prevent any splintering when cutting a graphite shaft but I have seen a few improperly cut. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, splintering has to be due to improperly coned hosel. I like to cone well and install collared ferrule.

BT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...