Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Most Wanted Wedges 2019

Shankster

This is definitely not what I expected to see. Homna at the top?!

Pretty awesome to see how well the PING Glide 3.0 holds up when it’s damp out.

I hope the governing bodies don’t see this and say “Hey PING... you can’t use your Hydropearl anymore.”

Can someone explain where the Honma really outperforms the Ping Glide 3.0? I see some very very small windows but I would think the difference in wet performance would outweigh all that. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

8 minutes ago, patrickleeleep said:

Can someone explain where the Honma really outperforms the Ping Glide 3.0? I see some very very small windows but I would think the difference in wet performance would outweigh all that. 

I think It is almost impossible to look at the numbers and understand why one club beat another.  What you see in those tables is averages across all the testers.  The winners are assessed by determining the best wedge for each individual tester and then seeing which clubs worked best for the majority of the golfers.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think It is almost impossible to look at the numbers and understand why one club beat another.  What you see in those tables is averages across all the testers.  The winners are assessed by determining the best wedge for each individual tester and then seeing which clubs worked best for the majority of the golfers.   

That makes more sense. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

Yea I really like the wedge performance score chart they provide with each wedge to see where they excel if it's full swing 40yrd or wet and make decisions of what I care about from that. I wish they would do more specific individual club pro and cons like they do with the top 4. So I can see where certain clubs have strengths. I think they do a great job overall but hard to pinpoint how any specific club wins or looses a test.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I’m looking at getting one more wedge, and full shot score, along with dispersion are going to be the factors I look for in these results to help me pick an option. The Honma looks good early!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Happy to see these results considering I'll be in the market for new wedges this season.The fact that the wedge I'm thinking of getting for full swing shots performed tied for second best, and the one for around the greens was tied for third on 40 yard shots makes me very pleased. 

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I'm curious as the the wet spin rate for the older Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth since it doesn't have the same finish as the 3.0. Then again, my 'wet' conditions are usually just dew from the overnight humidity and dry out after the turn. 

I think the biggest eye opener for me was the Cobra King Black. I used to play the trusty rusty line in my wedges and loved the grind. Cobra is a solid wedge that doesn't get enough credit.

Also, while the Vokey SM7 might be the most popular wedge due to tour representation, it didn't scream top performer in any of the metrics. Maybe that's because we get the retail version of the wedge and the guys on TV get them all custom by tour truck folks. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I'm actually pretty surprised where the Vokey fits in this equation.  Being that it's one of the most played on Tour.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

As a hydropearl owner i am most interested in how much the finish is damaged by each shot in the sand... Is the coating essentially gone from the club face after 1 season for your bunker club? 

That is a test I would be interested to see... Either way I believe the Mizuno system of having vertical grooves to help channel the water away would last longer than some fancy Teflon. 

I stick to my older 56 from green side sand traps and the 60 is only for short lofted chips within 50 yards. So i hope the keep the moisture repelling coating in tact for a long time. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

When I got fitted last year I ended up with the TM MG, and I am still extremely happy with them. At the time I also hit the Hi Toe version, and the fitter mentioned that the Hi Toe was much preferred by Tour players (incl. Tiger Woods). I understand that the Hi Toe allows them to hit shots that you otherwise can't, but not for me (spoiler alert: I'm no pro!). I hated the Hi Toe, much worse than anything else I hit. I found it extremely interesting, and personally validating, that the regular MG and Hi Toe are so far apart in the lists.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese