Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why are Lofts getting JACKED

On 4/13/2020 at 8:07 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Everyone ignores the size of the heads compared to decades ago and everything else in the design and are focused on some number in the bottom. Nobody is talking about club lengths being longer to go with the lofts, etc.

You are right I agree a few reasons 1. jacked lofts 2. longer shafts 3. Better club materials 4. better weight placement in the head 5 better club design

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

On 10/17/2019 at 10:11 PM, PMookie said:

I had an issue with my Hot Metal Pros for this reason. The PW was 45*, but went 150 yards. My 50* is and Edel and goes 120 yards, leaving a ridiculous gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 45 PW and a 47 GW for that very reason - as lofts get jacked the need to get fit for the remaining wedges becomes more and more important - especially at higher handicap levels  - not sure many 15-20 HDCP players have the finesse to fill a 30 yard wedge gap that commonly exists as you've said

29 minutes ago, taskerc said:

I have a 45 PW and a 47 GW for that very reason - as lofts get jacked the need to get fit for the remaining wedges becomes more and more important - especially at higher handicap levels  - not sure many 15-20 HDCP players have the finesse to fill a 30 yard wedge gap that commonly exists as you've said

Depends on why a person is a 15-20 hdcp. I have a buddy that was a 14 but was deadly with a wedge in his hand. His tee game and course management wasn’t great but get him inside a hundred and he would usually walk away with no more than 3 strokes from that point.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 1 month later...

For anyone needing to know how to “gap” their “loft jacked clubs”, here you go!

IMG_2274.PNG

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

15 hours ago, PMookie said:

IMG_2274.PNG

I love those numbers between clubs. Shows me he is more than capable of throttling his swing (i.e. 3/4, 1/2 swings, etc) as needed to cover the gaps. Wow I wish those were my numbers. 😃

20 hours ago, PMookie said:

IMG_2274.PNG

I really want to know his iron lofts now if his gap wedge is a 47* 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

On 10/18/2019 at 10:08 AM, PlaidJacket said:

My irons like most everyone else's are numbered. All I know when I play a certain numbered iron are my expected distances. I do not rely on another players club selection when making a shot. Sure I ask from time to time but it's immaterial to what I select because their clubs were not made for me. 

Pretty much how I do it...however the older set I play from time to time (TA 845s from the late 1980's are marked with lofts on the faces).  That was pretty much how I began to correlate loft w/distance.  Fast forward to what I play most days - Callaway Diablo Edge irons which are a full club stronger than the old 845s and I just correlate, if I hit a 7 with the 845s, then the 8 with the Edges will be in the ball park.  

The real answer is that until everyone is told this is what "X-club" will be lofted at, with "_"stiffness, "_" torque, "_"kickpoint we will have variance in the industry.  It is no different in any other industry - for example when I had a custom acoustic guitar built - I literally went through a guitar fitting: the body style, the type of wood for the top, back, sides, neck; the amount of inlays in the body, the neck, the headstock, the neck shape (to fit the hands), the size fret wire, the brand/style of tuners, whether I wanted on board electronics or not, special custom one-off inlays.  Have known friends who filled out a custom order sheet for their new vehicle.  Actually to me, jacking lofts is just a progression of manufacturing technologies - when the first steel shafted clubs arrived, the purists likely bemoaned the death of the hickory shafts; when the cast cavity backs arrived, the purists bemoaned the death of the forged blades; when the metalwoods arrived, the crying was heard for the death of the persimmon headed clubs, its all been a progression.  Where will it stop?  Likely never as there will be new materials, new ways to make irons (love the article on 3D printers printing in metal), woods, hybrids.  Progress isn't always easy to accept and the purists in the sport will always bemoan what was, the forward lookers will be looking for what's next and the rest of us will still be in the middle enjoying an adult beverage or two engaged in banter about "no matter what club RickyBobby uses, he's gonna shank it in the pond on #9 every time!"   

Edited by Willie T

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls.