Hey All

I have created a survey just for curiosity sake mostly. I have set up 20 questions to start to understand how to improve club fittings and get a current state of what users feedback of club fitters. I know there was a discussion during No Putts Given about how few people have every club fit for them, I certainly don't. I want to do a write up similar to the Driver survey MGS produced and start to help feed information to more people. I will try to give access to as many as possible if they want full results. I will try to collect information for several weeks maybe a month depending on responses. 

Fitting Survey - Survey Planet

Thank you everyone for your information. If there is good feedback I will definitely do more surveys like this. 

Done

One question that was not asked in your survey was asking why you might not get a fitting.  And honestly, where I live makes it very challenging to get fitted by a decent fitter, with a variety of options.  I mean, we have Edwin Watts locally, and that's pretty much it.  I would have to drive at least 3 hours or more to a larger urban area that has more fitting options, like Club Champion in the Orlando area, which is 4+ hours away.  But the downside of all of this is that once you purchase new clubs, I'm gaming them for at least 5 years before revisiting a new club in whatever fashion.  Especially with the cost of drivers and fairway clubs skyrocketing recently, I'd be hard pressed to purchase any of those new anymore, and I will wait for them to come to the 2nd hand market at a reasonable price to replace any existing clubs.

So essentially there are a lot of challenges to golf club fitting that go beyond anything asked in your survey.  It's almost like trying to get 3 buddies to all commit to the same date for a free round of golf.  Someone always has an excuse and no one can ever seem to agree on a date to actually play golf, and that is hoping the weather works in our favor as well.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GSwag said:

One question that was not asked in your survey was asking why you might not get a fitting.  And honestly, where I live makes it very challenging to get fitted by a decent fitter, with a variety of options.  I mean, we have Edwin Watts locally, and that's pretty much it.  I would have to drive at least 3 hours or more to a larger urban area that has more fitting options, like Club Champion in the Orlando area, which is 4+ hours away.  But the downside of all of this is that once you purchase new clubs, I'm gaming them for at least 5 years before revisiting a new club in whatever fashion.  Especially with the cost of drivers and fairway clubs skyrocketing recently, I'd be hard pressed to purchase any of those new anymore, and I will wait for them to come to the 2nd hand market at a reasonable price to replace any existing clubs.

So essentially there are a lot of challenges to golf club fitting that go beyond anything asked in your survey.  It's almost like trying to get 3 buddies to all commit to the same date for a free round of golf.  Someone always has an excuse and no one can ever seem to agree on a date to actually play golf, and that is hoping the weather works in our favor as well.

That's a great point I you hit on 2 main reasons of proximity to fitter & price. Ill see if I can add another question to the survey.  I have a similar issue but not as extreme I have 1 store about 45 minutes away that offers a very good fitting but cant always get there. I'm actually taking a day off work in a couple weeks to do the free Tour Spec Golf Fitting and drive 3.5 hours to get there. 

Edit: I have added in a new question asking reason why with possible answers: (Multiple Selection)

Proximity to Quality Fitter

Cost of Fitting

Can Find Clubs online for Cheaper

Buy my clubs Used

No time to get fit

Not good enough to be fit

Other

completed

• Like 1

Done. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yup, Done.....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks all of you who have completed the survey. There have been 14 submissions so far  but its interesting to see some of the improvements/ changes people would like from their fitter.

Seems like Fitters being unbiased, that care about the fitting and trying to help the player, unbiased fitter not trying to pigeon hole manufacturers or shaft offerings is the biggest difference for the golfers so far. 

I'm going to give this a bump and try to get a few more people to take the survey before I write anything up. Appreciate all of you who have filled it out.

Thanks everyone who has done the survey today Ill let this stay open the rest of the week and start putting together some numbers and information.

I completed the survey, but the whole subject is a little overblown IMO.

If you’re buying clubs anyway, by all means get properly fitted!

Otherwise if you’re an amateur with an HI over 15, unless your wrist to floor measurement is way outside the norm (typically but not always under 5’2” or over 6’4”), a fitting won’t do much for you - 90% of medium to high HI amateurs would be fine with standard off the rack clubs. People talk about club length first and it’s probably the least important fitting variable. Plus or minus a 1/2” is trivial at most, only worth fitting if already for other reasons like correct heads, shaft weight/flex, lie, grip size, etc.

Most who play golf would benefit far more from money spent on lessons, practice or playing than fitting. Way too many people are being led to think fitting is some silver bullet - it usually isn’t unless...

...you carry a lower HI or you’re wrist to floor measurement is way outside the norm, a great fitting can help your scoring. Problem is there are (way) more bad fitters than good. It is possible to be misfit - some folks assume any fitter must know the craft, but many do not. Most free fittings are worth what you paid, but you can luck into a good one. Unfortunately paid fitters vary considerably - some are more than worth every dollar, some are worse than a free big box fitting. 

Finding a great fitter is no slam dunk, but supporters rarely mention that sad factAnd by the time you know enough to pick a truly great fitter on your own, you could fit yourself...

Edited by Middler
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Middler said:

I completed the survey, but the whole subject is a little overblown IMO.

If you’re buying clubs anyway, by all means get properly fitted!

Otherwise if you’re an amateur with an HI over 15, unless your wrist to floor measurement is way outside the norm (typically but not always under 5’2” or over 6’4”), a fitting won’t do much for you - 90% of medium to high HI amateurs would be fine with standard off the rack clubs. People talk about club length first and it’s probably the least important fitting variable. Plus or minus a 1/2” is trivial at most, only worth fitting if already for other reasons like correct heads, shaft weight/flex, lie, grip size, etc.

Most who play golf would benefit far more from money spent on lessons, practice or playing than fitting. Way too many people are being led to think fitting is some silver bullet - it usually isn’t unless...

...you carry a lower HI or you’re wrist to floor measurement is way outside the norm, a great fitting can help your scoring. Problem is there are (way) more bad fitters than good. It is possible to be misfit - some folks assume any fitter must know the craft, but many do not. Most free fittings are worth what you paid, but you can luck into a good one. Unfortunately paid fitters vary considerably - some are more than worth every dollar, some are worse than a free big box fitting. 

Finding a great fitter is no slam dunk, but supporters rarely mention that sad factAnd by the time you know enough to pick a truly great fitter on your own, you could fit yourself...

The survey is not where would your money would benefit you most, it is about club fitting. Regardless of handicap if you are buying clubs you should be fitted. There is no down side to being properly fit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

The survey is not where would your money would benefit you most, it is about club fitting. Regardless of handicap if you are buying clubs you should be fitted. There is no down side to being properly fit. 

That’s why I said “If you’re buying clubs anyway, by all means get properly fitted!”

Unfortunately there’s no guarantee you’ll be properly fit, and if you’re improperly fit - that’s clearly a downside. Even a proper fitting may not improve your scoring, so a fitting may not be a good reason to buy new clubs. IOW, saying everyone can benefit from a fitting is far from true.

Edited by Middler

That’s why I said “If you’re buying clubs anyway, by all means get properly fitted!”
Unfortunately there’s no guarantee you’ll be properly fit, and if you’re improperly fit - that’s clearly a downside. Even a proper fitting may not improve your scoring, so a fitting may not be a good reason to buy new clubs. IOW, saying everyone can benefit from a fitting is far from true.

The intent behind this survey is to understand peoples experience in fittings and to understand how fitters can improve. Obvously well trained professional is an important piece it was by far the most voted on requirement.

I'm also slightly confused on your point stating "if you are buying clubs anyway, by all means get fit" that's why most people are getting fit. I got a fitting recently to understand where equipment could actually improve my game and although I am an 8 or so handicap I found that I'm loosing 22 yards on my Driver and that doesn't include the big tips the fitter gave me to work on over the winter.

I have several friends/family who are 20+ handicap and although lessons will be much more impactful, they see getting properly fit is important.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1