TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fitting Survey

Hey All

I have created a survey just for curiosity sake mostly. I have set up 20 questions to start to understand how to improve club fittings and get a current state of what users feedback of club fitters. I know there was a discussion during No Putts Given about how few people have every club fit for them, I certainly don't. I want to do a write up similar to the Driver survey MGS produced and start to help feed information to more people. I will try to give access to as many as possible if they want full results. I will try to collect information for several weeks maybe a month depending on responses. 

Fitting Survey - Survey Planet

Thank you everyone for your information. If there is good feedback I will definitely do more surveys like this. 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Done!  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Done

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Thank you both

One question that was not asked in your survey was asking why you might not get a fitting.  And honestly, where I live makes it very challenging to get fitted by a decent fitter, with a variety of options.  I mean, we have Edwin Watts locally, and that's pretty much it.  I would have to drive at least 3 hours or more to a larger urban area that has more fitting options, like Club Champion in the Orlando area, which is 4+ hours away.  But the downside of all of this is that once you purchase new clubs, I'm gaming them for at least 5 years before revisiting a new club in whatever fashion.  Especially with the cost of drivers and fairway clubs skyrocketing recently, I'd be hard pressed to purchase any of those new anymore, and I will wait for them to come to the 2nd hand market at a reasonable price to replace any existing clubs.

So essentially there are a lot of challenges to golf club fitting that go beyond anything asked in your survey.  It's almost like trying to get 3 buddies to all commit to the same date for a free round of golf.  Someone always has an excuse and no one can ever seem to agree on a date to actually play golf, and that is hoping the weather works in our favor as well.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

11 minutes ago, GSwag said:

One question that was not asked in your survey was asking why you might not get a fitting.  And honestly, where I live makes it very challenging to get fitted by a decent fitter, with a variety of options.  I mean, we have Edwin Watts locally, and that's pretty much it.  I would have to drive at least 3 hours or more to a larger urban area that has more fitting options, like Club Champion in the Orlando area, which is 4+ hours away.  But the downside of all of this is that once you purchase new clubs, I'm gaming them for at least 5 years before revisiting a new club in whatever fashion.  Especially with the cost of drivers and fairway clubs skyrocketing recently, I'd be hard pressed to purchase any of those new anymore, and I will wait for them to come to the 2nd hand market at a reasonable price to replace any existing clubs.

So essentially there are a lot of challenges to golf club fitting that go beyond anything asked in your survey.  It's almost like trying to get 3 buddies to all commit to the same date for a free round of golf.  Someone always has an excuse and no one can ever seem to agree on a date to actually play golf, and that is hoping the weather works in our favor as well.

That's a great point I you hit on 2 main reasons of proximity to fitter & price. Ill see if I can add another question to the survey.  I have a similar issue but not as extreme I have 1 store about 45 minutes away that offers a very good fitting but cant always get there. I'm actually taking a day off work in a couple weeks to do the free Tour Spec Golf Fitting and drive 3.5 hours to get there. 

Edit: I have added in a new question asking reason why with possible answers: (Multiple Selection)

Proximity to Quality Fitter

Cost of Fitting

Can Find Clubs online for Cheaper

Buy my clubs Used

No time to get fit

Not good enough to be fit

Other

completed

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Done. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Yup, Done.....

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Thanks all of you who have completed the survey. There have been 14 submissions so far  but its interesting to see some of the improvements/ changes people would like from their fitter.

Seems like Fitters being unbiased, that care about the fitting and trying to help the player, unbiased fitter not trying to pigeon hole manufacturers or shaft offerings is the biggest difference for the golfers so far. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to give this a bump and try to get a few more people to take the survey before I write anything up. Appreciate all of you who have filled it out.

Done

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Done

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Thanks everyone who has done the survey today Ill let this stay open the rest of the week and start putting together some numbers and information.

done- good luck

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

47 minutes ago, Middler said:

I completed the survey, but the whole subject is a little overblown IMO.

If you’re buying clubs anyway, by all means get properly fitted!

Otherwise if you’re an amateur with an HI over 15, unless your wrist to floor measurement is way outside the norm (typically but not always under 5’2” or over 6’4”), a fitting won’t do much for you - 90% of medium to high HI amateurs would be fine with standard off the rack clubs. People talk about club length first and it’s probably the least important fitting variable. Plus or minus a 1/2” is trivial at most, only worth fitting if already for other reasons like correct heads, shaft weight/flex, lie, grip size, etc.

Most who play golf would benefit far more from money spent on lessons, practice or playing than fitting. Way too many people are being led to think fitting is some silver bullet - it usually isn’t unless...

...you carry a lower HI or you’re wrist to floor measurement is way outside the norm, a great fitting can help your scoring. Problem is there are (way) more bad fitters than good. It is possible to be misfit - some folks assume any fitter must know the craft, but many do not. Most free fittings are worth what you paid, but you can luck into a good one. Unfortunately paid fitters vary considerably - some are more than worth every dollar, some are worse than a free big box fitting. 

Finding a great fitter is no slam dunk, but supporters rarely mention that sad factAnd by the time you know enough to pick a truly great fitter on your own, you could fit yourself...

The survey is not where would your money would benefit you most, it is about club fitting. Regardless of handicap if you are buying clubs you should be fitted. There is no down side to being properly fit. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

That’s why I said “If you’re buying clubs anyway, by all means get properly fitted!”
Unfortunately there’s no guarantee you’ll be properly fit, and if you’re improperly fit - that’s clearly a downside. Even a proper fitting may not improve your scoring, so a fitting may not be a good reason to buy new clubs. IOW, saying everyone can benefit from a fitting is far from true.

The intent behind this survey is to understand peoples experience in fittings and to understand how fitters can improve. Obvously well trained professional is an important piece it was by far the most voted on requirement.

I'm also slightly confused on your point stating "if you are buying clubs anyway, by all means get fit" that's why most people are getting fit. I got a fitting recently to understand where equipment could actually improve my game and although I am an 8 or so handicap I found that I'm loosing 22 yards on my Driver and that doesn't include the big tips the fitter gave me to work on over the winter.

I have several friends/family who are 20+ handicap and although lessons will be much more impactful, they see getting properly fit is important.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Done. 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

3 hours ago, Middler said:

I said “If you’re buying clubs anyway, by all means get properly fitted!” An important distinction IME.

There are people who don’t otherwise need new clubs, who buy because they think fitted clubs will improve their scoring. It might, but it won’t necessarily. Some of your friends who see fitting as more important than lessons/practice are mistaken, even more of they aren’t careful choosing a fitter. I’ll bet at least half the fitters out there aren’t really qualified.

This won’t guarantee a good fitting, but it may tell you when your in the midst of a bad one https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/custom-fitted-golf-clubs/

That's a great article also yes properly fit is the crucial piece. 

I am a penny pincher and never encourage people to spend money where its not needed especially when year over year "improvements" are maybe a couple yards if that. The friends that believe fitting is important but understand it less beneficial then lessons. I did the free TrueSpecGolf fitting a few weeks ago and I hit 4 shots with my Driver and he told me "No matter what club I put in your hand will fix your shot, but can give you some help to mitigate it" Lessons and practice are the only way to fix it.... he said the same thing about my putting... made me feel so uplifted 🙄.

In my Opinion the hierarchy of importance is:

1) Lessons

2) Practice

3) Fitting 

4) Internet/Article Tips 

On 11/13/2019 at 2:57 PM, Middler said:

I’d slot just playing golf in there somewhere, probably first or second - but well ahead of fitting for most who play golf. A proper fitting should precede buying clubs, but fitting shouldn’t be a reason to buy new clubs for most.

If your swing isn’t repeatable, a fitting won’t do any good at all. There are too many people who believe I wasn’t fitted for my current clubs, so I must need new clubs. Maybe, likely not.

Golf pros and (near) scratch amateurs with highly repeatable swings are a different golf universe than the rest of us. Them aside, I’ve been playing for 55 years and I can’t think of anyone who scored better after buying new clubs, fitted or not, once the new club honeymoon was over. Of course no one, self included, would admit their new clubs weren’t better...

Just playing golf is in the list I was assuming the non competitive rounds (tournament, league, or against your buddies) would fall into practice on course, on range, or other.

So I'm more curious or concerned with the opposite I have had experience and know people who believed that a low spin driver was best for them because they put a lot of side spin on the ball so it will make the shot go less off line. (less backspin will likely cause the effect of the same side spin to be more pronounced in the flight) A properly fit may or may not give the person an understanding of why but they will understand that they shouldn't be fit into that club since it does not give them the best results. 

I like the way you but it "A proper fitting should precede buying clubs, but fitting shouldn’t be a reason to buy new clubs for most." I do have an example of the for most part though. I went to a full bag fitting and my main expectation was to understand what would be the best fit for new irons. after the fitting though although I did see some improvements on my irons, the combination of my driver, speed, and swing I was loosing significant distance and dispersion. This allowed me to change what my next equipment investment should be improve my game the most.

Hey all I completed writing up the survey. Got a total of 30 replies. Appreciated everyone participation.

• 4 months later...

Done.  Hope the results are good for you.

• TaylorMade R15 460cc w/ Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution Tour Spec R
  • TaylorMade R11 5 Wood w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.0 S
  • Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-GW w/ True Temper XP 105 S300
  • Titleist Vokey SM5 54* F Grind
  • Titleist Vokey SM5 58* M Grind
  • SeeMore Original FGP w/ SuperStroke 1.0 Flatso

Tennessee

Didn't see this as an option, but body change prompted my latest fitting... weight loss, disc injury, and just plain getting older.  I couldn't bring as much to the party anymore, and needed as much help as I could afford. 

I appreciate you others filling it out I have actually published the results already.

I will review through the answers and update where i can needs it. looks like there have been 15 more submissions since I wrote this. Thats 50% more data