Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Kikkor Dress Sneaker - Review

Kikkor Dress Sneaker Shoe Review

“Be yourself. Be Awesome. Kikkor Golf.”

Kikkor 1.jpg

Kikkor 2.jpg

Introduction

When even a super-traditional company like Footjoy is releasing a “street” shoe, you know it's a pretty major trend. But who started it, you might ask? Best I can tell, the answer is James Lepp and his shoe company Kikkor Golf. Officially founded in April 2010, Kikkor Golf offers golf shoes that are unlike anything else out there. Is that difference a good thing or not? Read on, spies…

IMG_3563.JPG

From the Manufacturer

Growing up as one of the more prominent junior and amateur players in the world, James Lepp always wondered why there wasn't a golf shoe more geared towards the personal tastes of younger golfers. The only options at that time were shoes that made all players look like they were 50 years old. Shortly after winning the 2005 NCAA Individual Championship, James started exploring the idea of coming up with a new shoe brand targeted towards those long forgotten golfers. Finally, as a professional golfer in 2008, James utilized his business degree from the University of Washington as he started putting the pieces of Kikkor Golf together.

In April of 2010 Kikkor Golf was officially launched, offering customers a line of golf shoes that the market had never scene. The shoes were funky, different, young, fresh, and most of all, comfortable. Those same roots carried over to the 2011 lineup as well; however, the 2011 product offering is much more thorough, offering golfers many different looks from skate to retro runner styles.

While the rest of the industry has been quick to follow suit in the alternative golf footwear category, Kikkor still distinguishes itself from its competitors by focusing on the ‘cool' demographic rather than the ‘core' demographic that other manufactures seem to love. Not everybody likes to dress like a 50 year old. Kikkor will ALWAYS design shoes for those cool players.

IMG_3565.JPG

IMG_3566.JPG

Style – 20 Points

A lot of golf products come through my doors. Regardless of how excited I might be about them, the typical reaction from my better half is saying, “Cool,” without looking up. These shoes, however, elicited a legitimate, “Wow!” and commanded her full attention. That alone lets me know that Kikkor is on to something. It also tells me that they might be serious when they say Kikkor golfers attract all cart girls.

For my part, I love the style. I thought the shoes looked good in the pictures online, but they look great in person. While these are obviously not a traditional looking golf shoe, there's no reason that they wouldn't be appropriate to wear at a really nice course. They're not loud, they're just subtlely cooler than the shoes the other guy is wearing.

Since we're talking about style, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the style of this company as a whole. If you're a fan of theirs on Facebook, you've seen the fun videos that they produce and the frequent contests they offer. James and his company seem like they're having tons of fun and I find that spirit contagious when I read their site or exchange emails with them.

Score: 20/20

IMG_3567.JPG

IMG_3569.JPG

Comfort – 25 points

When these came in for review, I was walking around my house in my slippers. I immediately popped them off so that I could walk around in the Kikkors. This is when the nerves in my feet got confused, and started asking questions: “Hey, didn't you just put on golf shoes? Shouldn't golf shoes feel different than slippers? Shouldn't we be uncomfortable right now?”

Right out of the box, these are the most comfortable golf shoes I've EVER worn. This feeling did not change a bit as I broke them in. My only complaint is that, by comparison, everything else feels pretty mediocre now.

Score: 25/25

IMG_3676.JPG

Performance – 20 points

In evaluating the Kikkor's performance, the first thing that should be noted is the lack of removable spikes. While a number of companies are introducing shoes like this, many golfers have reservations about traction and the longevity of the shoe. James Lepp responded to my question about the design: “Removing the spike system allows us to produce a better shoe in many facets – more comfort, lower profile, better look, and performance wise we get the player much lower to the ground producing increased feel and stability. The drawback is obviously that they will wear out over time. But hey, when you wear them out you can wear them out.”

With regard to traction, I did not notice any difference between the Kikkors and traditional golf spikes. I wore them on mats, in grass, in sand, wet & dry, and it was all good. Over the course of my recent golf trip I was alternating between Kikkors and another pair of shoes with brand new Stinger spikes and I couldn't tell the difference. Traction is not a problem.

As for durability, I've played 108 holes in my Kikkors, went to the range half a dozen times, and walked all around parking lots, clubhouses, restaurants, etc. I can't see any wear at all. I tried to take pictures to show the difference. If you can't see any difference in the pictures, that is, for once, not a reflection of my lousy photography skills. These shoes will last at least one full season of regular play, if not more.

Now, Kikkor says that part of the benefit of removing the spikes is to bring the golfer closer to the ground. This is absolutely noticeable and I love it. I feel like I have a better sense of balance and it's simply more comfortable to me. While there were certainly other variables at work, my best ball striking days were the days when I wore my Kikkors.

Last quick point on performance: waterproofing. I wore the Kikkors in heavy morning dew, in the rain, and even for a quick, unintentional dunk in a mud puddle. Result? My feet were bone dry.

Conclusion: the Kikkors perform. You can argue about replaceable spikes, but these shoes are going to keep you dry, close to the ground, and firmly planted.

Score: 20/20

Before

Before.JPG

After

After.JPG

Value – 20 points

The Kikkor Dress Sneaker costs $135. This is a pretty fair price, right in the middle of the market. If they had removable spikes, it would be a no brainer A+. As much as I appreciate the reasons for why the spikes are not replaceable, I know that it will be a hang up for many people and it does decrease the shoe's life as a golf shoe. On the other hand, if you like the style of the shoe, you will likely wear them after the spikes are gone. Overall, I think the value is a solid A even without replaceable spikes.

Score: 18/20

The Peanut Gallery – 15 points

The Peanut Gallery offered a variety of opinions on the Kikkor Dress Sneaker. As expected, those who like a very traditional shoe said that this was not their cup of tea, but those who like a less traditional shoe said that the Kikkor was among the best they've seen. Our PGA Pro/Triathlete immediately noticed, with approval, how minimal the sole was. As a teacher, he has some of his students practice barefoot so that they can get a better sense of balance, and he noted that these would be the type of shoe he would recommend to them. He was also the only one to try on the Kikkors, and he did agree that they were very comfortable.

Score: 13/15

Final Thoughts

I think by this point it should be clear that I am a big fan of these shoes. They will be the first ones that I reach for every time that I go golfing. The performance is excellent in terms of waterproof-ness, traction, and the durability of the non-replaceable spikes. The biggest plus for these shoes, however, is the comfort. If you are in the market for new golf shoes, you definitely need to check out Kikkor.

Score: 96/100

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Nice to see that you feel connected to the ground in a size 14 :lol:

How long do you think that the spikes will stay? Can you get rid of them completely to make street shoes?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

Well, if James wants a 2nd opinion from a guy with more reasonably sized feet, you know where to find me.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Nice to see that you feel connected to the ground in a size 14 :lol:

How long do you think that the spikes will stay? Can you get rid of them completely to make street shoes?

I'm expecting that they will last a full season of regular, weekly play, at least. I will keep this thread updated as the season wears on with stats about number of rounds/range sessions and where the traction is at.

As for getting rid of the spikes completely, I definitely intend to do that. Once the traction falls off noticeably, I will figure out a way to get them to a point where I can wear them indoors without upsetting anyone. I will, of course, be posting about that too.

Well, if James wants a 2nd opinion from a guy with more reasonably sized feet, you know where to find me.

Hahaha. I just appreciate that James makes awesome shoes for those of us with larger feet.

On a serious note, if anyone wants to try these out, PM me for a 10% off coupon code.

• SPY VIP

Hahaha. I just appreciate that James makes awesome shoes for those of us with larger feet.

Yeah. I was kind of surprised to see them in black. I thought clown shoes only came in red.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just saw the 2012 Kikkors in person...so sick. I need to figure out a reason to buy another 4 pairs of golf shoes.

Also, for those interested in the traction/durability, these are the only shoes I've worn all year and they're still money. I might retire them at the season's end just so I can wear them indoors, but a pair of Kikkors will definitely last a season plus unless you play way more than I do.

How do they compare to the Ecco Streets, FootJoy street shoes, Truelinks & Ashworth's?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

How do they compare to the Ecco Streets, FootJoy street shoes, Truelinks & Ashworth's?

I don't own any of those shoes, so I can't say for certain. I'm fairly certain that the Footjoys have replaceable spikes, so that's one key difference. I've worn the Eccos a bit, and they're nice, but not as comfortable (at least not immediately) as the Kikkors.

I would say that on style (which is totally subjective), Kikkor has it ALL over these other shoes. Especially when you see the 2012 line. The TRUE shoes might be super comfortable (wouldn't know, never seen a pair big enough for me) but they look like clown shoes, IMO.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just received 2 pairs of Kikkors yesterday, and unfortunately I have to exchange them for a (much) bigger size, but I am impressed. The shoes may look like sneakers, but they're definitely built solid. The sole firmness and overall support seems to be at least the equal of my FootJoy DryJoys. I will have to wait until I get the new pairs to actually swing in them, and that's assuming the new ones fit. They might end up being too narrow. On a Brannock device I'm a 7.5. I most shoes I wear an 8. I ordered 8.5, and I'm exchanging them for 9.5.

Their exchange/return policy is great. If you exchange, they credit your card $10 to cover the cost of return shipping. If you return, they send it to you by PayPal.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Great review, and a great looking shoe. My question is will UPS deliver a size 14 or do they have to come motor freight? :D

I went to the sneaker style golf shoe couple of years ago, because I wear golf shoes more than any other shoes since I work at home (usually at night so I can play golf). I drive my golf cart more everyday than my car. I have had Footjoys, Nike, Callaway recently but Footjoys were the most comfortable. I have some Nikes and Footjoys that look almost identical. A couple of months ago one of my playing partners showed up with socks with a Nike emblem on one, and Reebok on the other. I noticed on the first tee, and of course, we all gave him hell about it all day long.

The next week, I was running a little late, and my wife was sleeping in so I went to the closet put on my shoes and went to the course. About the third hole I noticed that my right foot was more comfortable than the left. I had on one Nike and one Footjoy. On the thirteenth hole someone else noticed and said something. I am on Team Titleist and had recently participated in the PRO V1 golf ball test the month before so I told them I was seeing if I could tell the difference in comfort between the two brands. ;) They said, "Well, can you?" and I replied that the Footjoy was surprisingly more comfortable than the Nike. They said, "Cool" and that was the end of it.

I have bought Footjoys every since but I have been wanting shoe like this since I saw Fred Couples wearing them at the Master's.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really intrigued by the new Slyder version of the Kikkor's. Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to check them out. I'm a little concerned about using a slip on shoe during a swing.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm really intrigued by the new Slyder version of the Kikkor's. Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to check them out. I'm a little concerned about using a slip on shoe during a swing.

I believe that Golfspy Dave will be reviewing the Slyder in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

That's right Iceman...

:ph34r:

Absolutely not, Topgun references are appreciate and encouraged.

Can't wait to hear the review, I almost pulled the trigger last night with the Presidents Day sale from intheholegolf.com but I chickened out until I found a review of someone who has tried them on.

• 4 weeks later...

That's right Iceman...

:ph34r:

Any word on the review for the Slyders? It's finally golf season in MN and I can't wait to hear if these shoes performed for you.

• SPY VIP

Any word on the review for the Slyders? It's finally golf season in MN and I can't wait to hear if these shoes performed for you.

No play review yet. Stoopid rain and hail...

Fit wise though they feel a lot like my slip on Vans. For me that's a great praise as I love those shoes. Very comfortable. Hopefully they will get some grass time soon. Looking good so far. At $64 these may be the belle of the ball for 2012.

More to come...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Interesting...what model did you get again? I have the Tour Athlete's and they're super light.

Men's Tenny:

1lb 4.6oz

Whereas my Nike Lunar Control:

1lb 2.2oz

The weight is for 1 shoe.

Would love to get a tour on my foot for comparison

• 2 weeks later...

No wide sizes for my duck feet? Major fail. :angry:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core