After finally pulling the trigger on a Shot Scope V2 and getting about a dozen rounds on it, I feel like sharing some numbers. I’m interested to hear some feedback on what stands out. It’s hard for a higher handicap to really know where certain aspects of your game should be, plus everyone’s game is different anyways. I feel like their is so much bad information out there ready to drag you down another rabbit hole. We’ve all heard the short game is king, but I haven’t seen that to be true. I mean, how many puts should a 20 hdcp have? How many fairways is good? Greens? What will shave strokes off my game faster? Anyways, I have this information now....but how do i use it to get better?

Feel free to share your stats so maybe we can all get a better gauge on where we really are with our games and what we really need to work on...

Avg. Score - 96

Par 3 Avg. - 4

Par 4 Avg. - 5.4

Par 5 Avg. - 6.4

Fairways - 31%

Greens - 10%

Pitches Inside 6ft. - 42.5%

Up&Down - 32%

Putts - 30.6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used arccos most of the year and went from a 21 to 14.9.   I don't credit Arccos 100%--as I also got a full bag fitting of PING and the changes in my bag--more FW and hybrids and less irons was the biggest diffence. 

The biggest part of Arccos helping was getting solid and consistent distances for each club.   It helped the longer yardges tremendously.   I now knew from 175 I would hit my 7 wood instead of trying to over swing a 4 iron or 4 hybrid.  

My long game got so much better.  Then seeing the percentage of shots that were short or missed left or right helped me know where to work on my swing. 

The fact that less than 5% of my approach shots went long, led me to take more club than I would have in the past. 

So yes shit tracking can be a huge help to higher handicaps.  

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

So yes s*** tracking can be a huge help to higher handicaps.  

It can also be beneficial to your overall health.

• Haha 1

30.6 for average putting is pretty good.  It's comparable to me as a 7 handicap.

I would attack your par 5 average of 6.4 first.  What I see over and over and over again with higher handicappers is hitting it as far as you can on the first two shots on a par 5, where you then probably have a 60 yard shot (or less) into the green for the 3rd shot, and then you chunk it, blade it, or some other variety of missed lob wedge, which leads to the inevitable double bogey.

Another perspective for you - I'm thoroughly convinced that I could beat most higher handicappers on par 5s just hitting 7 irons on this hole to the green.  I say this mostly because I can keep the 7 iron pretty straight, and in play.  Most higher handicaps tend to spray not only the driver off of the tee, but a fairway wood for a 2nd shot.  So by any 3rd shot you are probably behind a tree, or in bad rough, or dropping and hitting 4 way before you are close to the green.

My point to all of this on par 5s is to use better course management.  Sure, hit driver off of the tee, but then pick an iron that you have confidence with to lay up to a comfortable number, like 100 yards, so you'll have a decent chance of hitting a full wedge into the green.

I could be way off on all of this, especially since the numbers don't tell me anything about how you hit certain clubs, etc, but that'll give you some blind feedback and something to think about anyway, and take whatever you want from it and throw out the rest.  As always, it's advice that is worth what you paid for it, unlike the garbage coming out of Brandel Chamblee's mouth.

• Like 3

Definitely the biggest help has been with distance and dispersion. Actually seeing your shots plotted out is nice. Not that i needed to know that my driver miss is left and left of left.

I would attack your par 5 average of 6.4 first.  What I see over and over and over again with higher handicappers is hitting it as far as you can on the first two shots on a par 5, where you then probably have a 60 yard shot (or less) into the green for the 3rd shot, and then you chunk it, blade it, or some other variety of missed lob wedge, which leads to the inevitable double bogey.

Funny you should say that, I like to play aggressive. I know my long game is my weakness so just try to bomb it and then try to save myself with my short game. I actually played 9 holes once with just my 7 iron, putting in all. Shot the same as I had the week before on the same course with my whole bag.

I’ll take any advice I can find. I just like hearing new ideas and perspectives. Never know what will spark the next breakthrough in your game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I don't think we have the data in your post to give you much insight.  I have Arccos, not ShotScope, and they provide a handicap and trending for different facets of your game (overall, driving, putting, approach, short game, sand) that's based on Strokes Gained.  I think ShotScope has something similar called Shots to Finish.  

• Like 1

There's too much unknown here. But as a 20 handicapper you can probably pick off the low hanging fruit (strokes) easily by only using basic course management. Next I'd make sure you are playing the correct tee/course distance for your ability. Just because you might occasionally stripe a driver 260+ yards and are a man doesn't mean you play the "tips". I'd reckon you probably slice the ball. Playing from the fairway on only 4-5 holes off the tee is a non-starter and makes for a long day on the course. You'll be surprised how much better you'll play and score when you're able to start driving the ball more accurately. Golf is as much or more a mental game as physical ability. Keep in mind that driver isn't always the best or only choice off the tee on par 4 and 5 holes.

Finally - go get yourself some basic instruction occasionally to begin setting you on a path sound fundamentals. Golf is hard and you only get out what you put in. Best wishes on your never ending journey. 🏌️‍♂️

• Like 1

So yes s*** tracking can be a huge help to higher handicaps.  

So will help your "shot" tracking as well

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

On 10/19/2019 at 6:33 PM, GSwag said:

My point to all of this on par 5s is to use better course management.  Sure, hit driver off of the tee, but then pick an iron that you have confidence with to lay up to a comfortable number, like 100 yards, so you'll have a decent chance of hitting a full wedge into the green.

This is something I have started. I know unless I have two perfect shots, I'm not reaching most par 5s. I know I am more likely to hit offline or mishit a wood rather than my hybrid, 6 or 7 iron. I try to be about 100-120 out on par 5 for my approach and I have had a lot more birdie chances. 

• Like 1

Your short game is equivalent to a single digit handicap based on averages. So it is your tee-to-green game costing you 5-10 strokes per round. GIR is the stat tied closest to overall scoring, so I would start by focusing on your irons and cleaning up your strike. If you got GIR up to 30% (I am between 33-38% as a 16 handicap with 35 putts/round) you would likely shave 3-5 strokes there. 

Hitting fairways correlates to slightly higher GIR. Overall, Fairways hit is the stat least tied to your score provided you are not taking multiple penalty strokes off the tee each round. A crude example is I would much rather hit a drive 300 yards through the end of the fairway (resulting in a miss) on a par 4 leaving a short wedge into the green, than a 200 yard layup into the middle of fairway and have over 150 yards as an approach shot. 

Given you score worst on par 4s and 5s, driver is likely hurting you the most. With your short game, it shouldn't be hard to hit a long iron or hybrid off the tee and get your scoring average down closer to bogey golf fairly quick considering it is already there for par 3s. Par 5 scoring seems to be an area to target a 2-3 strokes improvement per round. 

Edited by BMart519
  • Like 2

Hit more greens. Hitting less than 2 greens per round is going to kill your score. Figure out what causes you to miss them, either bad drive or bad approach and focus on that. 

• Like 1

To me your stats for your short game look good for 20 h/c. Putts @ 30, 1/3 up and downs is pretty good. But it looks like you must carry a few doubles or worse on your card and looking a a parteo of what causes these is a good start. 

Small changes can make a big difference, getting rid of a destructive shot. For me the 3w has always given me a high cut, so it stays in the garage or  I go out and practise with it until I get confident with it. 

Just remember that ShotScope is an aid and can give you loads of data but sometimes just standing back and using common sense can take a couple of strokes off your score

• Like 1