Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Par at 6300 vs 6700

GC70

I got a question for you guys. I normally play my home course from the gold tees 6700 and some change. Our league, singles, doubles, and club championship play from these tees. 55 years old can play from the black at 6300 ish. 60+ can play from the combos.

I’m going to be 50 next year and I’m losing distance.

Any ways on with the question I played from the blacks the last 5 rounds and they all have been under 74. Which is great for me. It’s been along time since I had a run like that.

Is shooting par from 6300 the same as 6700?

I feel like I’m cheating, but I hardly get my driver over 250 these days.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

First off 250 is well above average for distance - about the average distance of a scratch golfer and longer than the average LPGA player who would have very little difficulty breaking par from 6700.

Having written that it’s not the same. Your course will have different course ratings from each set of tees which will give you an indication of the difference - I’m guessing it will be about a stroke and a half.

To add to the confusion you could play 2 different courses where the 6300 yard courses is rated more difficult than the 6700 yard one but that’s not what you are asking.

It’s not cheating, there’s a rating from each set of tees - unless you are planning to play in those tournaments or you play in some sort of group that plays the longer ones play the shorter ones and enjoy it.

There’s nothing here that let me move up a set at 60. I got to move up at 55 and was very competitive for a few years after that. But at 63 I’m not - those youngster hit it too far for me - I still have nearly 2 years for my next move up.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Take note of the irons you typically hit from the 6700 tees, versus the 6300 tees and you'll discover the reason why your scores are lower from 6300.  Put me at 6700 and I probably have a mid to long iron into par 4s.  Put me at 6300 and I'm probably hitting 8-9 iron in, or a lot of wedges.  Par 3s are closer in as well, which makes it easier, and you might even find yourself reaching a few par 5s in two, which you probably can't do from the 6700 tees.

Your distance is similar to mine off of the tee, so I've lived your experience with my game.  Put another way, give me a 6,000 yard course and I am probably sniffing even par most days, mostly because I have a wedge into every par 4, which I can typically put tight for a makeable birdie putt.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

No, it's not like cheating. It's still golf, still not exactly an easy game. The score is the score and it matters from any tee.

That said, my PB is from our 6,600 yard blue tees yet I play most of my rounds from the 7,000 yard back tees. The PB would mean a heckuvalot more to me from the tips.

A buddy of mine recently balked at that sentiment and said it didn't matter. I simply asked him if a course record should be considered the record from any tee? He and I agreed that a course record should be from the longest tees to be considered an actual course record.

Still, a PB score relative to one playing the proper tees for themselves is a score to be universally respected and heralded. And mind you, "proper tees" is a sliding scale. True challenge can be had from one set of tees to the next, one course to the next.

A golf course changes from day to day based on weather, pin location and tee location. In theory the further back the tees the harder the hole but that is definitely not the case. Far to many individual golfers play from the wrong tees which is one of the reasons for slow play. I say play from where you enjoy the game most.

I once played with a group who all hit from the white tees with no regard to age nor skill level. They used a handicap system which they maintained and would not accept any scores outside of their group play. The belief was this system normalized every ones handicap from the white tees. While that was definitely true the problem came in when the big hitters made many more eagles than the average Joe. If a player got an eagle the rest of that golfers owed him $5 each for every eagle. 16 golfers in a group would yield you $80 per eagle. We had several big hitters who would routinely shoot in the high 80s to low 90s but because of their distance off the tee they made as much as $160 per round. So I quest my point is unless money is on the line play where you most enjoy the sport.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

14 hours ago, GC70 said:

I got a question for you guys. I normally play my home course from the gold tees 6700 and some change. Our league, singles, doubles, and club championship play from these tees. 55 years old can play from the black at 6300 ish. 60+ can play from the combos.

I’m going to be 50 next year and I’m losing distance.

Any ways on with the question I played from the blacks the last 5 rounds and they all have been under 74. Which is great for me. It’s been along time since I had a run like that.

Is shooting par from 6300 the same as 6700?

I feel like I’m cheating, but I hardly get my driver over 250 these days.

Instead of looking at par, look at Course Rating, or look at your differentials.  Of course shooting par from 400 yards shorter isn't the same, but its not cheating.   You probably have to shoot 68 or 69 from 6300 to have the same differential as 72 from 6700 yards.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

As a good friend told me a while back after a good round on a shorter than usual course. "You still have to hit golf shots, and still have to make the putts...Nice round!!" 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12