TESTERS WANTED! ×

how many sets are custom vs off the rack?

Tsecor

Is there any data to show how many sets are "off the rack" standard set up vs fitted sets? Just curious how many consumers walk into a big box store or order on line without getting some kind of fitting.

Golf is cool

Not sure of the data but the vast majority of golfers ive played with don’t get fit. They buy otr irons and just choose the flex they are used to. The older ones will drop from stiff to senior flex.

for driver, fw, hybrids is the same. They pick a loft, pick a flex and go. For hybrids it’s number for number replacement 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

17 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not sure of the data but the vast majority of golfers ive played with don’t get fit. They buy otr irons and just choose the flex they are used to. The older ones will drop from stiff to senior flex.

for driver, fw, hybrids is the same. They pick a loft, pick a flex and go. For hybrids it’s number for number replacement 

same here.  I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a new set and I'm debating using the PGA store guys for ANY fitting advice. They are not professionals and know less than most of us here in these forums....i really don't have access to any other place to test out all the irons I want to.....just wondering how much i MAY hurt myself without a real good fitting by a professional

Golf is cool

Just now, Tsecor said:

same here.  I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a new set and I'm debating using the PGA store guys for ANY fitting advice. They are not professionals and know less than most of us here in these forums....i really don't have access to any other place to test out all the irons I want to.....just wondering how much i MAY hurt myself without a real good fitting by a professional

TSecor, if I may ask, when was the last time you went through a fitting and where are you located?

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

1 minute ago, Berg Ryman said:

TSecor, if I may ask, when was the last time you went through a fitting and where are you located?

7 years ago. Play the CB 712 by titleist.  I live in NY about 20 min from West Point

Golf is cool

Just now, Tsecor said:

7 years ago. Play the CB 712 by titleist.  I live in NY about 20 min from West Point

Ah, a fellow NYer! I'm guessing making it to White Plains may be out of the question?

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

Just now, Berg Ryman said:

Ah, a fellow NYer! I'm guessing making it to White Plains may be out of the question?

not out of the question but i work 10 min from a PGA superstore in NJ.

I went to a fitter in White Plains years ago and met Miura-San at an event they had there. He spoke of making Irons for Tiger Woods and a few others. The people invited treated him like a god. he was an interesting fellow and very intriguing from a craftsman standpoint. His translator only let a few questions be asked but he was there showing off new irons and I almost bought a set but they didn't feel any better or perform any better than the Titleist i ended up with from another fitter

Golf is cool

Just now, Tsecor said:

not out of the question but i work 10 min from a PGA superstore in NJ.

I went to a fitter in White Plains years ago and met Miura-San at an event they had there. He spoke of making Irons for Tiger Woods and a few others. The people invited treated him like a god. he was an interesting fellow and very intriguing from a craftsman standpoint. His translator only let a few questions be asked but he was there showing off new irons and I almost bought a set but they didn't feel any better or perform any better than the Titleist i ended up with from another fitter

the only reason I ask is because the White Plains Club Champion is a top 100 Golf Digest certified fitter, of course, the PGA SS in Paramus, which is where I assume you're discussing, is also a Top 100 fitting center.

SIK Golf Flo-C

Im not sure how they rate these places as top 100 but the pga ss in paramus has kids working it and others that do not seem knowledgeable.   I would like to try a new fitter so im willing to try the white plains location.    Thanks for the help.   I will definitely check out your recommendation. 

Golf is cool

37 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

I would pay for the tour van fitting experience of going to pga ss. For me I know my specs and what works so I rarely get fit for irons. I’ll test some at demo days or when I’m at the range with a couple different shafts to see what ball flight and feel I like.

Most amateurs don’t have a clue about club designs, shafts, launch characteristics and such. All they know is flex and brands. They base their decisions off of what a club looks like and if it’s to big or too small for them lols wise. 

the internet/forum golfer could do a self fit and get decent results from that for what their looking for. 

18 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

the only reason I ask is because the White Plains Club Champion is a top 100 Golf Digest certified fitter, of course, the PGA SS in Paramus, which is where I assume you're discussing, is also a Top 100 fitting center.

There are 2 type of fittings at pga ss. The general one done by their fitting staff which knowledge and experience may vary from fitter to fitter and they have the tour van experience which is done by a more experienced fitter and sectioned off from the rest of the fitting bays. Lots of times too fitting places are determined by sales numbers and not necessarily how good of a fitting is received.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I'm sure that the majority of amateur players are never fit (other than whatever the store they buy them in offers).  Personally, I have been custom fit and found it very beneficial for my game.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

51 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Im not sure how they rate these places as top 100

Probably by sales I'd imagine. If so that's not a good indicator IMO. Kind of makes me think of the Golf Digest Hot List. LOL

51 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Most amateurs don’t have a clue about club designs, shafts, launch characteristics and such.

Kind of like me. Ha! Even though I play custom fit and built irons I really have little interest in shafts, launch, spin, etc. etc. For me it all boils down to play-ability and what I see and feel. I don't necessarily select my irons by looks either. My last fitting ended up with me not buying the irons I thought looked best and initially wanted. I'm glad I had a experienced fitter. We both let the facts/data/results make the selection.

Also, I estimate that perhaps 3/4 or more guys I play with do not play any fitted equipment. When I've asked they'll say, "what do you mean" or... "I don't need any of that stuff."

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

19 hours ago, Tsecor said:

Is there any data to show how many sets are "off the rack" standard set up vs fitted sets? Just curious how many consumers walk into a big box store or order on line without getting some kind of fitting.

I'm sure someone has that data but highly suspect the majority still buy "off the rack".  I also suspect that trend is changing as more and more current, new, and returning players get savvy about club fitting.  It's been around a long time, but only more recently in national televised ads.  That said, the dirty little secret is that one only needs to read MGS's Hit Squad and Official Tester Reviews to get the real scoop 🙂

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I would pay for the tour van fitting experience of going to pga ss. For me I know my specs and what works so I rarely get fit for irons. I’ll test some at demo days or when I’m at the range with a couple different shafts to see what ball flight and feel I like.

Most amateurs don’t have a clue about club designs, shafts, launch characteristics and such. All they know is flex and brands. They base their decisions off of what a club looks like and if it’s to big or too small for them lols wise. 

the internet/forum golfer could do a self fit and get decent results from that for what their looking for. 

There are 2 type of fittings at pga ss. The general one done by their fitting staff which knowledge and experience may vary from fitter to fitter and they have the tour van experience which is done by a more experienced fitter and sectioned off from the rest of the fitting bays. Lots of times too fitting places are determined by sales numbers and not necessarily how good of a fitting is received.

I wasnt aware they had a pga van experience.   Maybe ill check that out.  

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm sure someone has that data but highly suspect the majority still buy "off the rack".  I also suspect that trend is changing as more and more current, new, and returning players get savvy about club fitting.  It's been around a long time, but only more recently in national televised ads.  That said, the dirty little secret is that one only needs to read MGS's Hit Squad and Official Tester Reviews to get the real scoop 🙂

You are Spot on about that part.  One of the OEM reps told me recently they are seeing doubke digit growth every year in custom orders    as such retailers are carrying less stock.   Most OEM can have a non exotic custom order out the door and in the customers hands in 7-10 days.   Therefore customers are willing to wait to get their specs vs off the rack.  Even if it's just a very small varience from store stock. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

Probably by sales I'd imagine. If so that's not a good indicator IMO. Kind of makes me think of the Golf Digest Hot List. LOL

Kind of like me. Ha! Even though I play custom fit and built irons I really have little interest in shafts, launch, spin, etc. etc. For me it all boils down to play-ability and what I see and feel. I don't necessarily select my irons by looks either. My last fitting ended up with me not buying the irons I thought looked best and initially wanted. I'm glad I had a experienced fitter. We both let the facts/data/results make the selection.

Also, I estimate that perhaps 3/4 or more guys I play with do not play any fitted equipment. When I've asked they'll say, "what do you mean" or... "I don't need any of that stuff."

Yeah many of the guys I pay with in my regular group have zero clue about shafts other than flex and the name on the label. They also the ink they hit the ball high and it’s nowhere near the height the pros or better players hit.

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

I wasnt aware they had a pga van experience.   Maybe ill check that out.  

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/lessons-services-fittings-van/

I did this at the one in Orlando in 2015. 

I will say that until the last few seasons, most of the guys I know have used off the rack clubs. As they have decided to update the bag, I have managed to get them to spend the time to get properly fit. I can say the results are very positive. In general, the handicaps have come down a bit and the confidence that the clubs are correct for them has gone up.

:titelist-small: TSi2 9.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3 15 / 18.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3H 20° (set for 22)

:titelist-small: CNCPT 5i-48°

:vokey-small: SM8 52° / 58°

:cameron-small: Fastback 1.0 Circle T

I work part time as a fitter. Sure places like club champion may offer lots and lots of options. The problem that I see is that the average golfer (defined as someone that does not break 100) has almost no benefit to getting fit. They are not consistent enough, or good enough for a fitting to even be accurate. 

They do just as well, and save a ton of coin buying off the rack. The only exception being those are are out of the norm tall or short. 

This push to get fit is in my opinion industry driven to sell you on upgrades that most see not benefit from so that they can make huge margins. It is not till you are around at 10 handicap that a fitting really produces any kind of noticeable results. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

18 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yeah many of the guys I pay with in my regular group have zero clue about shafts other than flex and the name on the label. They also the ink they hit the ball high and it’s nowhere near the height the pros or better players hit.

I learned this during my fitting this past weekend. I thought I hit the ball very high, and figured I'd be looking at needing a lower launching shaft. The best shaft for me actually hit the ball higher and with more spin, yet carried identical distances. Crazy.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

24 minutes ago, edingc said:

I learned this during my fitting this past weekend. I thought I hit the ball very high, and figured I'd be looking at needing a lower launching shaft. The best shaft for me actually hit the ball higher and with more spin, yet carried identical distances. Crazy.

Yeah it’s something I learned watching pros hit. The problem with too high comes in when there’s to much spin this is when ballooning happens and is bad. 

On 10/22/2019 at 12:59 PM, Quigleyd said:

I work part time as a fitter. Sure places like club champion may offer lots and lots of options. The problem that I see is that the average golfer (defined as someone that does not break 100) has almost no benefit to getting fit. They are not consistent enough, or good enough for a fitting to even be accurate. 

They do just as well, and save a ton of coin buying off the rack. The only exception being those are are out of the norm tall or short. 

This push to get fit is in my opinion industry driven to sell you on upgrades that most see not benefit from so that they can make huge margins. It is not till you are around at 10 handicap that a fitting really produces any kind of noticeable results. 

I agree with this assessment.  I never got serious about getting fitted until I was consistently scoring in the 70s and then I figured it was time to actually spend some real money on clubs.

The next time I buy clubs I will make the 4 hour drive to Club Champion in Orlando and go through a proper fitting with them.  One of my buddies went down there and went through the whole bag with them and he was really impressed with the process he went through with them.  Very thorough, and very good.

The main thing I'd really love to do is to do a fitting where I am testing different shafts that goes well beyond what even Edwin Watts offers with most of what they sell.  If nothing else I'd just like to see how a lot of different shaft options can benefit me with regards to clubs that I would be fit for.  I can pretty much hit anything you put in front of me, but I'd like to see them with a bunch of different shafts and see how that feels.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

On 10/28/2019 at 6:27 PM, GSwag said:

I agree with this assessment.  I never got serious about getting fitted until I was consistently scoring in the 70s and then I figured it was time to actually spend some real money on clubs.

The next time I buy clubs I will make the 4 hour drive to Club Champion in Orlando and go through a proper fitting with them.  One of my buddies went down there and went through the whole bag with them and he was really impressed with the process he went through with them.  Very thorough, and very good.

The main thing I'd really love to do is to do a fitting where I am testing different shafts that goes well beyond what even Edwin Watts offers with most of what they sell.  If nothing else I'd just like to see how a lot of different shaft options can benefit me with regards to clubs that I would be fit for.  I can pretty much hit anything you put in front of me, but I'd like to see them with a bunch of different shafts and see how that feels.

Man, to me club champion is a rip off. I fit people for free as part of the purchase, Club champions goal is the fit you into the most expensive shaft, grip, head combos they can, then they charge you to put them together. Even if they are standard specs and you can order them from the manufacturer at no up charge. 

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

Man, to me club champion is a rip off. I fit people for free as part of the purchase, Club champions goal is the fit you into the most expensive shaft, grip, head combos they can, then they charge you to put them together. Even if they are standard specs and you can order them from the manufacturer at no up charge. 

Yup their business model is upcharge parts and be the builder. For the price of CC one could go to PGA SS and do the tour van fitting and get the specs or find a reputable local fitter for a lot less.

On 10/28/2019 at 9:27 PM, GSwag said:

Curious what you think a fitting would do for your game that’s consistently in the 70s?

13 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Curious what you think a fitting would do for your game that’s consistently in the 70s?

If you have a repeatable swing that can be fit, I think a proper fitting equates to a couple saved strokes per round tops.  So say you are shooting around par, then those few shots per round that may have missed the green, may just find it on the edges kinda thing. 

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

More GIR's with irons, because your lie angle would be more consistent to your swing plane.  Proper shaft is a must in pretty much all clubs.

In fact, if you get the right shaft in your driver, with the right loft, you can add 10-20 yards versus something that isn't fitted.  This has been my experience anyway.

Yup their business model is upcharge parts and be the builder. For the price of CC one could go to PGA SS and do the tour van fitting and get the specs or find a reputable local fitter for a lot less.

One of my best friends went down there and swears by them.  Granted, money is no object for him, so what do I know.  I do know he got fitted by the only local guy who does custom fitting here in Tallahassee, and a year later he went down to Club Champion and got fitted through them and bought everything but wedges from Club Champion because he liked the experience there better then even with the local guy, who does know what he is doing.

I guess to each his own.  But yeah, if you are on a budget, you can probably get it cheaper somewhere else.  For me though, I've tried other things, and I'd at least like to see how they do things and give myself something to compare to and educate myself as to the best way to go for the future.

One other thing.  I've had thoughts of just flying out to Arizona and spending a few days at the PING HQ getting fitted by them.  I mean, if I want to do it right, that's definitely one way to go as well.

5 minutes ago, GSwag said:

More GIR's with irons, because your lie angle would be more consistent to your swing plane.  Proper shaft is a must in pretty much all clubs.

In fact, if you get the right shaft in your driver, with the right loft, you can add 10-20 yards versus something that isn't fitted.  This has been my experience anyway.

While I would normally agree I don’t think dispersion will change much unless lies are way off and same with shaft. There may be small gains in front to back consistency with irons but I’ve played regular flex shafts in irons and s300 in another set and I played with the same consistency.

as for driver unless someone is in an ill fitting shaft and head the large gains aren’t going to be there. 10 yards potentially of going from an older driver. Again the large gains will be the exception not the rule. In my demoing in the last 2-3 years ball speeds are within 1-2 mph across all drivers.

2 minutes ago, GSwag said:

One of my best friends went down there and swears by them.  Granted, money is no object for him, so what do I know.  I do know he got fitted by the only local guy who does custom fitting here in Tallahassee, and a year later he went down to Club Champion and got fitted through them and bought everything but wedges from Club Champion because he liked the experience there better then even with the local guy, who does know what he is doing.

I guess to each his own.  But yeah, if you are on a budget, you can probably get it cheaper somewhere else.  For me though, I've tried other things, and I'd at least like to see how they do things and give myself something to compare to and educate myself as to the best way to go for the future.

Club champion like truspec and other similar facilities do a gear job. I’ve heard very few bad things about CC. It’s just an expensive service and their business model is based on getting the customer to buy the building service from them. If looking at just a fitting unless one has the discount from them the cost is a little high just for full bag. 

if money is no issue it’s probably not a bad option, I prefer outdoor fittings to see ball flight.

1 minute ago, GSwag said:

One other thing.  I've had thoughts of just flying out to Arizona and spending a few days at the PING HQ getting fitted by them.  I mean, if I want to do it right, that's definitely one way to go as well.

The ping experience is good from the few I know that have been thru it. I’ve been fit twice by their fitters who come from HQ and drive the fitting van and the first time was great and the second time not so much.