Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

The Aging Golfer - Trying to Get My Future Father in Law to Agree to New Clubs

I have an area I could use some advice. 

When my now fiancé and I started getting serious, her dad started playing more golf again. We play a few rounds a month, and he’s getting out some outside of that as well. He had previously been out 2-3 times per year, and hasn’t played seriously since his kids were young. 

That is also about how old his irons are. They are at least 20 years old. He’s turning 61, and has noticed he’s lost a club or two in distance in addition to gaining a right miss he didn’t used to have. 

I think he needs new clubs. I don’t even recognize the brand he has, and off the top of my head cannot remember it. He’s very much from the perspective of literal ain’t broke don’t fix it, but I just feel like he’d enjoy the game a lot more with new sticks. 

For those who have crossed that 60’s mark, and have gotten new clubs, what were the benefits? Were they distinctive? He’s still fairly athletic and keeps himself in good shape, but how much does the swing slow down? He hits his 6 iron 160-165, so he’s a solid regular flex right now. I’d hate to have that drop off quickly though, where he’d be better off shooting for a lower flex. 

In short, any insight you could provide would be most appreciated!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Questions:

1) Did he say he feels that he wants/needs new clubs?

2) What's wrong with a 165 6i at 61 years old?

3) Is he having fun golfing with you?

It may be that his right miss goes away the more he plays, especially if he's had a long layoff. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

7 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

He hits his 6 iron 160-165, so he’s a solid regular flex right now.

You don't know that. That'd be like me saying since you have a 14 hcp, you're a solid Super Game Improving iron type of player. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

7 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

I think he needs new clubs. I don’t even recognize the brand he has, and off the top of my head cannot remember it. He’s very much from the perspective of literal ain’t broke don’t fix it, but I just feel like he’d enjoy the game a lot more with new sticks.

Have him read my "Former PE2 Players" thread 😉.  In short, club technology over the timeframe you state has changed a lot and it absolutely offers players at all levels increased performance - particularly if he gets a competent club fitting.  I just purchased an iron fitting for my brother, who like your FIL, is trying to get back into the game and using 1980 circa clubs.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

4 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Questions:

1) Did he say he feels that he wants/needs new clubs?

2) What's wrong with a 165 6i at 61 years old?

3) Is he having fun golfing with you?

It may be that his right miss goes away the more he plays, especially if he's had a long layoff. 

Thanks for the reply, 

He seems open to new clubs, but he doesn’t like spending money on himself. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with 165! Distance doesn’t matter too much if they’re straight, he just seems bummed that he’s lost two club lengths. He is very competitive, so if his game doesn’t line up he may wane in his desire to play. We’re both having fun getting out there, so I’d like to give him solid advice as to the benefits of new clubs. I get a great discount on clubs as a golf coach, my experience is with teenagers though. So I can’t speak to the senior golfer with anything but what I’ve researched. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

You don't know that. That'd be like me saying since you have a 14 hcp, you're a solid Super Game Improving iron type of player. 

I understand there is more to a flex than club distance, including tempo, weight, trajectory, and spin. I’m simplifying for the sake of gathering information on how swing speed declines. I also know, having seen him hit two sets of stiff irons, they’re not a good fit for him. 

Super game improvement irons are not for 14 handicaps, but based on my handicap game improvement irons would be good advice as a starting point for a fitting. 

If I learn enough about senior golfers and it seems like he’d get a lot of benefit, we would go get a fitting done. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Sounds like a guy"s trip is in order. Maybe a trip to the local PGASS or GG with lunch and a beer? Maybe a gift certificate for a partial fitting? 

In terms of benefits; At 72, I had a fitting just this past May. Currently had W/S 300 with TT steel shafts - thx to MGS and prior to that G20's. After going through all of his fitting carts, we ended up with D-7's and graphite shafts. Not a big distance gain but a much narrower dispersion. A lot more distance with the 5W and 9W which previously weren't part of my bag. And my 410 SFT - oh my! And previously I was gaming a G20 driver so really not that old. Slight gain in distance (getting better every day), but straight as an arrow.

So yeah some nice improvements. 

.I've played with guys that have 15+ yr old clubs and they're pretty happy,  keep in mind it's about his game and his needs

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

6 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

He seems open to new clubs, but he doesn’t like spending money on himself. 

Understandable.  Offer to get him a couple of U-Try demo sets at globalgolf or any of the other demo programs out there.  It would make a nice Christmas present!  Once he hits newer clubs maybe that will sway his opinion.  Or, if cost is a big concern for him then go for knock off clubs like Gigagolf.  They even "customize" their clubs with an online fitting tool if you can't convince him to go get a fitting much less new clubs. 

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

Sounds like a guy"s trip is in order. Maybe a trip to the local PGASS or GG with lunch and a beer? Maybe a gift certificate for a partial fitting? 

In terms of benefits; At 72, I had a fitting just this past May. Currently had W/S 300 with TT steel shafts - thx to MGS and prior to that G20's. After going through all of his fitting carts, we ended up with D-7's and graphite shafts. Not a big distance gain but a much narrower dispersion. A lot more distance with the 5W and 9W which previously weren't part of my bag. And my 410 SFT - oh my! And previously I was gaming a G20 driver so really not that old. Slight gain in distance (getting better every day), but straight as an arrow.

So yeah some nice improvements. 

.I've played with guys that have 15+ yr old clubs and they're pretty happy,  keep in mind it's about his game and his needs

Great feedback, thanks! And I agree, it is all about his game. I just want to see people enjoying the game of golf! I wanted to come here and ask you guys so that it wouldn’t come off as pushy if I recommended looking into it. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

1 hour ago, jddaigneault said:

Great feedback, thanks! And I agree, it is all about his game. I just want to see people enjoying the game of golf! I wanted to come here and ask you guys so that it wouldn’t come off as pushy if I recommended looking into it. 

You might want to mention to him some of the "Most Wanted" blogs, or have him go with you to a fitter as you try out some different clubs. A rather subtle way for him to see the differences in technology. 

One thing to keep in mind is that if and when he goes to a fitter they may find that current clubs suit him just fine. That happened to my wife this past spring. She has an old Burner driver, the fitter, after trying several new drivers told her there was little difference between what she has and the newer stuff she was trying out. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

This one is in my wheel house - I'm 63 and play with lots of guys like your father in law.  He doesn't want to invest a lot of scratch and yet the idea of moving up some in technology is appealing and fun for him.

I'd highly recommend Ping G or G30 irons with an R flex graphite (yes I know he should go get fit but he's not going to unless you buy him a gift certificate for the fitting.)  Just do the Ping online static fitting to figure out what color code he needs - he'll be very happy and won't spend a lot of money -

I'm in no way suggesting that Ping is the best or only option just the simplest - you don't have to worry should I make sure they are bent flat or upright or whatever - just order the color.

What about driver?  If it's also 20 years old he has way more to gain there than with irons.  You could go with something that's about 4 years old for under 100 and he would be super happy.

Tell him good luck from all of us!  Also let us know what he ends up with. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

This one is in my wheel house - I'm 63 and play with lots of guys like your father in law.  He doesn't want to invest a lot of scratch and yet the idea of moving up some in technology is appealing and fun for him.

I'd highly recommend Ping G or G30 irons with an R flex graphite (yes I know he should go get fit but he's not going to unless you buy him a gift certificate for the fitting.)  Just do the Ping online static fitting to figure out what color code he needs - he'll be very happy and won't spend a lot of money -

I'm in no way suggesting that Ping is the best or only option just the simplest - you don't have to worry should I make sure they are bent flat or upright or whatever - just order the color.

What about driver?  If it's also 20 years old he has way more to gain there than with irons.  You could go with something that's about 4 years old for under 100 and he would be super happy.

This is awesome, thanks! I’ve been planning on getting him to come in to the local shop to get him on the launch monitor to see some numbers. I’ll say we’re going to get lie angles checked, but I’ll see if I can talk him into hitting some new stuff while we’re there.

He has a new driver! I won a long drive contest and already have an M5 so I just ordered it with specs I thought would fit him. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Yea, good idea.  There is a ton of used options that won't break the bank (hardly dent it with some good shopping prowess) and are proven gamers. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

6 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

I understand there is more to a flex than club distance, including tempo, weight, trajectory, and spin. I’m simplifying for the sake of gathering information on how swing speed declines. I also know, having seen him hit two sets of stiff irons, they’re not a good fit for him. 

Super game improvement irons are not for 14 handicaps, but based on my handicap game improvement irons would be good advice as a starting point for a fitting. 

If I learn enough about senior golfers and it seems like he’d get a lot of benefit, we would go get a fitting done. 

Senior golfers are no different than young golfers.  If they are playing with clubs 20 years old and will make the effort to go get a professional fittomg.....no offense but not taking your or anyone here's suggestion.   He will definitely see some benefit. 

Im 60 although I buy clubs every year, so I can't give you a real life example of gains. 

But if nothing else our Stronget Lofts thread in here that has had some spirited conversation will tell you that a new 6 iron will probably go one club further than his current/old 6 iron. 

So encourage him to go get fit, maybe treat him to a fitting.  Never hurts to score points with the FIL to be 😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Senior golfers are no different than young golfers.  If they are playing with clubs 20 years old and will make the effort to go get a professional fittomg.....no offense but not taking your or anyone here's suggestion.   He will definitely see some benefit. 
Im 60 although I buy clubs every year, so I can't give you a real life example of gains. 
But if nothing else our Stronget Lofts thread in here that has had some spirited conversation will tell you that a new 6 iron will probably go one club further than his current/old 6 iron. 
So encourage him to go get fit, maybe treat him to a fitting.  Never hurts to score points with the FIL to be

You buy clubs every week!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

19 minutes ago, revkev said:

You buy clubs every week!!! emoji41.png

I knew that wouldn't go without comments 😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I will echo others advice.  Yes, you lose distance when you get older. It's a fact of life.  I lost distance through my 60's, but the new irons with the stronger lofts have given me some of it back.  Now at 72, I have gained a lot of accuracy with the new clubs that helps offset some of that loss in distance.  I think the technology of today's irons vs 20 years ago with a fitting will truly make him smile when he hits them.  I still love my PE2's but to play them I give up a lot of distance, even playing the same lofted club, because of the shaft and trajectory.  In addition, I don't hit them as straight as I do my Bridgestones.  

I also recommend giving a read to the Superspeed Golf thread.  This training program really works and within a few months he could get some of that speed back and slow down the distance loss over the next few years.  I did.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I will echo others advice.  Yes, you lose distance when you get older. It's a fact of life.  I lost distance through my 60's, but the new irons with the stronger lofts have given me some of it back.  Now at 72, I have gained a lot of accuracy with the new clubs that helps offset some of that loss in distance.  I think the technology of today's irons vs 20 years ago with a fitting will truly make him smile when he hits them.  I still love my PE2's but to play them I give up a lot of distance, even playing the same lofted club, because of the shaft and trajectory.  In addition, I don't hit them as straight as I do my Bridgestones.  

I also recommend giving a read to the Superspeed Golf thread.  This training program really works and within a few months he could get some of that speed back and slow down the distance loss over the next few years.  I did.

I was listening to the fitting room on Sirius on my way home from church on Sunday (enjoy that show) and they made the comment that shaft weight makes a greater difference in regards to trajectory and distance than shaft flex.

I thought that was interesting and also pertinent to this thread as well as the thread jacking (strong loft) one.

I’ve mentioned it before and I will again that I went for a Titleist ball fitting about three years ago at my club. The fitter was the Titleist area rep - he told me that I would benefit from mid irons with more loft, a lighter shaft and wider sole (because of my swing type.). From there I did some research, including past years MGS Most Wanted Irons stuff.

I know this next part is blasphemous here but I effectively fit myself using the knowledge gleaned from that ball fitting and learned from knowledgeable people here over the years. I ended up pick up a set of Ping G30’s with a light weight Steelfiber shaft that was 2 flat on eBay for under $350. I immediately saw an uptick in distance and trajectory. That increase only widened as I entered a fitness program, dropped 45 lbs and then did those SuperSpeed workouts that Kenny mentioned.

When I went for a fitting as part of the MGS test last Spring the fitter was kind enough to look at my irons. After watching me, checking track man numbers and a few shots off of a lie board, he said, “Keep your wallet in your pocket and save yourself some money. You’re not finding a better set of irons for your swing.”

Fitters have access to expensive equipment and should know about equipment and what may work best for the person they are fitting. For many of us on this site it’s fun to tweak and tweak until we have it just right (or until we find an excuse to tweak some more.)

However a less avid golfer who just wants to grab his clubs from the garage two or three times a month and get out with his son in law or buddies is fully capable of assembling a good enough set without spending a fortune. My sense is that’s what the OPs father in law wants to do.

BTW golf needs a lot more people like him, IMO.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

He has a new driver! I won a long drive contest and already have an M5 so I just ordered it with specs I thought would fit him. 

Wow you're making some points with him!

Left Hand orientation