TESTERS WANTED! ×

epicondylitis or Golfers/tennis elbow

perseveringgolfer

I had a good round Saturday (73) but near the last few holes my elbow was getting sore during the backswing, persevered (and actually hit some decent drives while not gripping much with the right hand), finished the round, pain got worse.

Back home I had grass to cut and pulled the cord on the petrol mower a few times, last pull sent a pain shooting thru my arm that I nearly passed out with! carried on cutting the grass using one arm only which was a pita.

T'interweb research suggests its epicondylitis or tennis elbow and will take 6 months to a year to heal!!!😡

I have a new shaft arriving tomorrow and games arranged, so has anyone else had it? got a quick cure or at least a workaround that lets me play golf?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Get yourself a strap like this one from any chemist or amazon and it really won't take too long, a couple of weeks, to get right.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPOKayGGKXwLz1OIQ7yaV

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I’ve recently developed it and just play through it - I usually get loose while I’m playing and don’t notice it - afterwards is when I have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I broke my elbow 30 years ago, and it is now susceptible to tennis elbow. When it flares up I go back to a therapy program using a flexbar, as explained here. I also use a strap, as someone else has already mentioned, but it took me a few tries to get the one that was right for me. For quick relief it's ibuprofen and ice, sometimes supplemented by Aspercreme.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

I had a bad case of "golfer's elbow" a couple of years ago.  I found that wearing a strap like MattF recommends above helped to minimize pain while playing, but it didn't do much to solve the problem that caused the problem.  If you want to play, get a strap to keep the problem from getting worse in the short run. I used a Bauerfield Sports Elbow Support.  I found it better than a strap because it put pressure above and below the elbow.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BI8T8Y6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note:  they come in different sizes.  You need to get the appropriate size.  

Now that you can keep playing, how do you get better?  

Google  "Theraband Flexbar".  They are great for stretching the muscles around the elbow and strengthening them.  You can find Youtube videos on them.  Highly recommended.  

The final thing I would question is what is causing the problem in the first place?  In my case, I was turning my right elbow in a bit and putting pressure on it in the swing as a result of a stronger grip.  I went to a more neutral grip and relaxed my elbow and the problem has not come back.     

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Menthol CBD roll-on and KT (kinetic therapy) tape worked wonders for my elbow/forearm pain. Hasn't returned since.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Get the arm band like others mentioned, but you should also check out some stretches and exercises. Those will go much further to reduce your pain than the arm band will. 

I developed tennis elbow back in August and it's still an issue, thankfully much less than it was. I sit at a desk all day with my right hand on a mouse, which is what led to mine. Once I started doing the exercises daily, the pain was noticeably better and started to fade.

I did almost all of the exercises in this video a few times per day and it definitely helped a lot.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Thanks for the thread - this is helpful

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD