Jump to content
tony@CIC

Anger management on the course

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Haaa. I think it was a staged event. Only one bag on the cart and someone conveniently nearby to film it. Still kind of funny.

I was playing with a guy two weeks ago and he snapped his 7i. LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched a guy just demolish the side of a green after whiffing on a chip. Probably took 3 feet worth of sod out of the ground.

I was playing in a foursome with some friends, one of them duffed a hybrid shot and proceeded to just slam it over and over into the ground to the point where he missed hitting another member of the foursome in the face with sod by about 6 inches.

Never played with either of them again.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem asking if they want a Kleenex after throwing a fit. It’s a gut check and they know they’re wrong.

 

I get one of two responses. The one I can say here is in essence, “I know I know.”

 

The other is for your own imagination but it involves me doing something to myself.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe 10 years ago my wife and I were playing at our old course... a 9-hole exec with trashy golf carts that we lovingly referred to as the dog track. Actually it's more of a goat field because... well, it was a goat field.  The pro had just gotten a "new" trashy golf cart.  It was the best one in his "fleet", and we had it.  My wife was just off the #5 green and chipping with her 9i (I know this because she always chipped with her 9i).  She bladed the ball across the green and threw her 9i.  Knowing that she should always throw the club in the direction of the cart so she doesn't have to walk extra distance to get it, she landed the 9i short of the cart where it bounced off the ground and put a hole in the fender above the rear wheel.  Well, now the "new" trashy cart looked just like the old trashy carts.

I have never seen her throw a club since.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen quite a few clubs fly and have been guilty of it myself, but looking like a baby doesn't sit well with me, so I laugh now.

Played with a guy a couple of weeks ago that on just about every shot would berate himself...mate, if you think you suck that bad, take up reading or something.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

never ceases to amaze me - golf isn't a cheap pastime... not like hiking or reading.... it takes a good bit of time and - more importantly - it's not cheap to play.

so why would someone pay a not insignificant amount of money to be angry for 4-5 hours ??

what other activity in the entire world would someone do that for?  I can't think of anything....

don't get me wrong.... I hit one in the woods and I'm frustrated but I remind myself: It's just golf..... 

One of the reasons I prefer to walk whenever possible - you can walk off your frustration, get away from the negative energy of those around you, close your eyes and enjoy nature, breathe, relax.... there will be another shot, another round, another day -- it's just golf.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

never ceases to amaze me - golf isn't a cheap pastime... not like hiking or reading.... it takes a good bit of time and - more importantly - it's not cheap to play.

so why would someone pay a not insignificant amount of money to be angry for 4-5 hours ??

what other activity in the entire world would someone do that for?  I can't think of anything....

don't get me wrong.... I hit one in the woods and I'm frustrated but I remind myself: It's just golf..... 

One of the reasons I prefer to walk whenever possible - you can walk off your frustration, get away from the negative energy of those around you, close your eyes and enjoy nature, breathe, relax.... there will be another shot, another round, another day -- it's just golf.

Because I don't like to lose.  No matter the sport, I am competitive.  It's the same reason you see athletes in other sports explode, even at the professional level.  Remember when Rory hurled a club into a lake?  There you go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO: As soon as you get paid to play golf and it is your livelihood you can "explode" on the course.... until then remember you're paying to play, they're not paying you to play.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I've never seen any real anger issues on the course  - what's the worst you've seen? 

Likewise, I've not seen any really bad scenes.  While playing on a Boeing league a couple decades ago, one of the guys tended to be a bit hot headed; often tossing clubs or slamming them into the bag. One round he swung an iron into the side of his bag and it started bleeding purple - he had punched a hole right through his large Gatorade bottle that he filled with some grape juice concoction. It was a white colored golf bag.  We tried best we could not to laugh out loud, but the sight of the big purple splotch and stuff dripping out the bottom was simply too much.  

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Likewise, I've not seen any really bad scenes.  While playing on a Boeing league a couple decades ago, one of the guys tended to be a bit hot headed; often tossing clubs or slamming them into the bag. One round he swung an iron into the side of his bag and it started bleeding purple - he had punched a hole right through his large Gatorade bottle that he filled with some grape juice concoction. It was a white colored golf bag.  We tried best we could not to laugh out loud, but the sight of the big purple splotch and stuff dripping out the bottom was simply too much.  

Being from Boeing, there's a good chance that he was UW and the color would fit right in.  😂

UW.png.90e8fff5459f811335fd689b5ed228ff.png

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Being from Boeing, there's a good chance that he was UW and the color would fit right in.  😂

UW.png.90e8fff5459f811335fd689b5ed228ff.png

High probability of that.  I'd estimate 40% UW, 25% WSU, and the rest of us from somewhere else. The WSU grads were much less obnoxious about their football team.  Oh they lived and breathed them to the same level, just MUCH less obnoxious. I still have many friends from both colleges and zazz them frequently 🙂.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone that plays this game gets angry..... even if you won't admit it. We all suck to some degree or another compared to the pros.... or even those that are vastly better than us. I gave up being the angry ******* on the course  many years ago. I have a lot more fun because of it. Those of you that don't drink while you play..... give it a shot: you might find your rounds more enjoyable. 😁

 

 

so.... you can'r write a...s....s...hole??????

Edited by silver & black
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GSwag said:

Because I don't like to lose.  No matter the sport, I am competitive.  It's the same reason you see athletes in other sports explode, even at the professional level.  Remember when Rory hurled a club into a lake?  There you go.

I had a few “questionable” moments on the course, and this ^^ is exactly the reason why. It doesn’t matter what I’m doing, I’m very competitive and work pretty hard at it. Part of the time, it’s because I’m frustrated that it doesn’t seem like my practice is paying off at all, and the other half is wanting to always do better. That said, one of my main goals this year, has been to channel the frustration into more competitive drive, and use it to help me play better, instead of getting angry and playing worse. It’s been a really interesting learning experience, on how to manage my emotions and turn negatives into positives. It’s made my rounds more enjoyable, made my scores lower, and makes people around me say, “he was a pleasure to play with”, not “wow, what an *******, never want to see him again!” 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cant stand playing with people who get seriously angry at their game- ruins the round for everyone else as you walk on eggshells around them.

Unfortunately you don't know until you start playing what their attitude will be, but some I've discovered on my course means I never play with them again. I witnessed one 'tough guy' threaten to bury someone who was inadvertently jiggling coins in his pocket, he also said in a menacing tone to another player "if I see you out the corner of my eye once more we will have words". That guy eventually, a few months later, assaulted a player for speaking while he was playing his shot.

Leopards don't change their spots and these people are best avoided at all times.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, silver & black said:

so.... you can'r write a...s....s...hole??????

You can if you spell it the correct way...🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...